• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite video game genre names?

300px-ShootEmUpCover.jpg

Dope as fuck.

Favorite: Immersive Sim.

But for one that I have disdain for...

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. That's so unbelievably nonspecific to what it entails I don't know where to start.

Quake is multiplayer, online, and features battles in arenas. Likewise, Halo... Call of Duty... Street Fighter, so on...

SirNinja

I remember that in their December 2001 issue, Electronic Gaming Monthly did a "Gamecube vs. Xbox" article where they broke down the number of games both consoles had in every genre. The genre list was normal, with the exception of "Weird Pikmin-style Games" down at the bottom. No bonus points for guessing which console won that one.

In other news, I remember the most random shit.

Platforming Action-RPG with Semi-Nonlinear World and a Little Ability-Gated Progression, Foucsed Heavily on Combat Over Traversal.

Metro Igavania

Spaghetti

Seconding "Tactical Espionage Action" and "Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment".

I just fuckin' love the weird Japanese-made word salad genre names.

Tactical Loot Box MicrotransAction

So glad this fantastic genre is taking over the industry by storm. Really brings out the best in developers, publishers, and Us Gamers™.

It's swell.

JUST SO GOTDAMN GREAT

Metriodvania...where two action adventure games (Metroid, Castlevania) create a sub genre where Platformers meet interconnected world maps

Metroid-like, in which players traverse interconnected world maps primarily through platforming with a heavy focus on acquired abilities for reaching areas and a light focus on combat.

Metriodvania...where two action adventure games (Metroid, Castlevania) create a sub genre where Platformers meet interconnected world maps

Interconnected world maps? You mean essentially the only thing that they have in common?

So would that mean that 3D platformers such as Banjo-Kazooie are Metroidvanias? Zelda's a Metroidvania, but without the platforming?

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. That's so unbelievably nonspecific to what it entails I don't know where to start.

Quake is multiplayer, online, and features battles in arenas. Likewise, Halo... Call of Duty... Street Fighter, so on...

Hear hear. I liked it when a developer - not sure if it was Valve - used the term Action-RTS instead. Makes a lot more sense and acknowledges the genre's roots in Warcraft III.

Seijuro

Beat 'em up.

Because it sounded cool and violent back in the day.
In the german video game magazines in the 90ies they called everything from Final Fight to Mortal Kombat a beat 'em up, so it combined 2 of my favorite genres under one name. More than 10 years later I would learn that internationally they were divided into the terms fighting games and beat em ups.

Ballthyrm

I like the dungeon crawler name. Other good ones include 4x(eXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate) ,musou (sounds exotic and Japanese which it probably is), tower defense .

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Beat'em up

and far second place shoot'em up

"Character action"

jk. It's fucking stupid.
Imo it's probably the dumbest name ever, i really don't understand who invented it and how people can use it, what the hell "character" action means?!?!?!?!?!?

Character action.

I think it's good to differentiate action games that demand intimate knowledge of combat mechanics and mastery, from the rest of the relatively mindless "hack n slash" genre. "Character action" isn't the best term but it seems to stick, so I'll take what I can get.

What should it be called?
What the hell "character" means? Don't all the games have "character"?

Stylish action, stylish beat'em up, 3d beat'em up, fighting action, level based fighting, technical fighting/action/beat'em up.... you could think of billions of names that simply make sense and for that reason are 1000x times better than the "character" action non-sense.

CAR105 3

Tactical Loot Box MicrotransAction

So glad this fantastic genre is taking over the industry by storm. Really brings out the best in developers, publishers, and Us Gamers™.

It's swell.

JUST SO GOTDAMN GREAT
No sarcasm detected

Soulsborne

It sounds majestic AF

Wulfram

Walking Simulator.

Its descriptive, and its fan created rather than being marketing speak.

edit: the worst genre name is "adventure"

Stylish action, stylish beat'em up, 3d beat'em up, fighting action, level based fighting, technical fighting/action/beat'em up.... you could think of billions of names that simply make sense and for that reason are 1000x times better than the "character" action non-sense.
But those sound dumb and terrible too 😔

"Technical Fighter" LOL ... Street Fighter apparently isn't technical anymore 😂

13ruce

Banned
Metroidvania and Soulsborne.
Cheesy but loveable.

Also the MGS tagline tactical espionage action and lighting bolt action in MGR are also cool.

Top Bottom