• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best decision of YOUR life

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

I used to think joining The Navy 20 years ago was the worst decision I made. Then as I stuck with it, watched everyone else's pensions vanish, watched as medical costs continued to skyrocket, watched as education costs continued to skyrocket. Now I'm looking at a yearly income for doing nothing, over 100k in free tuition and housing, and affordable healthcare for life.

So that became my best decision.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I used to think joining The Navy 20 years ago was the worst decision I made. Then as I stuck with it, watched everyone else's pensions vanish, watched as medical costs continued to skyrocket, watched as education costs continued to skyrocket. Now I'm looking at a yearly income for doing nothing, over 100k in free tuition and housing, and affordable healthcare for life.

...I'm not reenlisting, gorramit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

You make it sound so good dammit.

Buying a Sonicare...

Really though I had to write a paper on a new experience, and for a while I considered getting a flight lesson or skydiving, but ended up signing up for OKCupid.

Now I'm with a women I'm very likely going to marry.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I don't know. I'll let you know when I've experienced everything life has to offer.

*runs to the nearest recruitment office*

Pagusas

Elden Member
Telling my ex no when she tried to beg me back. Hardest choice I ever made, but I feel its starting to pay off and my life is better for it.

Anustart

Continuing my education after a 9 year hiatus. I've always known I wanted to program and have self studied for years, bit getting back into a structured environment has helped a ton.

kylej

Banned
Probably graduating college. Barely made it out of high school, was a complete failure, went to community college for 2 years and got a 4.0, transferred into one of the best schools in the state and carried Honors the whole time. It's the only time my family has ever been proud of me and the only time I've ever been proud of myself.

Graduating in 2 weeks time. Been working for the entire last semester, doing lots of lifting, making good money, and even though I hated most of the college experience, looking back I'm glad I did it.

Coming out. Such a relief. And in general going out more and meeting people. Used to be pretty shy/turned inwards and I'm happy I'm starting to change myself in that regard.

Climbing up from VMBO-TL to university.

And I'm getting a gym membership on monday, pretty sure that's going to be another good decision.

Hope there are alot of other good decisions still to come.

injurai

Banned
studied it for around 1.5 years in Germany already. but that was shit compared to the normal languages classes i had in china. i could write a lot, but i couldn't speak. china changed that! GO FOR IT!

Guess I better hit the books and start studying. I would have about a years worth of mandarin before heading over there. I would probably get some killer job opportunities knowing mandarin as well, and Computer Science is huge. I think I smell a double major opportunity.

big_z

I can only think of the worst decision I've made and I doubt I can top it. Really wish things were the other way around.... My luck sucks.

Tapiozona

Banned
Making him..

rowen.jpg

And marrying her..

61516_1566055945745_1065795258_1865630_2383302_n.jpg

jkoch

I got laid off in 2001 (was 25 at the time and married) and decided to go back to school to get a degree in math and become an actuary.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So was your worst decision to become a time traveler?

I wish I was a time traveler, it would've let me get my 2nd best decision of not spending ^7500 on an engagement ring for a go-go dancer.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
After a year off soul searching and being a bum after uni I almost took a job as a door to door salesman in some shitty pyramid scheme (cobra group). I did the day out giving it a trial run, passed the interview, shook hands and everything. I was desperate enough to go for it. Told me to turn up for work on Monday. But I changed my mind and told them I wasn't gonna do it.

Few weeks later I got a job at the BBC which got me down the road to being a software engineer and my life has transformed beyond all recognition.

The contrast between the two lifestyles and futures was so great and the only thing separating them was a decision!

Gameboy415

Going to Japan to teach English straight out of college was incredible.
I was in the best shape of my life, made lots of great friends, was respected in the community, and dated a bunch of cute Japanese girls.

In retrospect, my WORST decisions ever were deciding to move from the countryside to Osaka and later coming back to the US... I should've stayed where I was. *sigh*

More recently (Feb 2012):

Quitting a god-awful telemarketing job.
I just woke up one Saturday morning and thought to myself: I have horrible hours (nights AND weekends), horrible pay, and tons of stress - why am I doing this?
Called in sick that day, thought everything over, and then resigned on Monday.
Everything's been going pretty well ever since!

It's not a decision that I made, but it's one that my mom did.

Her going to college and getting us to Ames, Iowa totally changed my life's forecast. It wasn't all rainbows after that, but it made a bigger difference than I could have achieved by myself.

Most recently, quitting my job and taking a better one. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner. If you hate your job, quit. Thats all i gotta say.

Chichikov

Like the OP, moving to another country was the best decision in my life.
And I urge everyone to at least explore the possibility, yeah, the place you were born at might be the best place in the world for you, but it's statistically unlikely.

mt1200

Going to a community college 3 years ago, I was broke, unemployed and dumber back then, but my dad gave me a good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom