• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCha

My 6S is still very new, and very good, but there's something about this phone that appeals to me a lot. I think it's something to do with the fact that it seems like the perfect Android phone; it doesn't have the adulterated rubbish that providers like Samsung include.

If it wasn't for my ties to Apple Music, and the trade-in prices for my 6S were better, I'd be very tempted.

ArchAngel

"OK, Google" voice command doesn't work for me if the screen is off. Tried to de- and reactivate it, but as soon as the screen is 2 seconds off it doesn't work anymore. Pixel C has no problems with that.

Google/NSA doesn't want to secretly listen to me :(

"OK, Google" voice command doesn't work for me if the screen is off. Tried to de- and reactivate it, but as soon as the screen is 2 seconds off it doesn't work anymore. Pixel C has no problems with that.

That works fine for me..

the problem I have is that I can't invoke the assistant by voice if I have audio playing and for some weird reason we can't set our own phrase to trigger the assistant.

It also won't unlock my device if it's been idle for 4 hours.. so I can't wake up and ask the assistant what time it is without getting out of bed, even though I'm in a "trusted" location.

It should also be able to read me my text messages, but it can't.

imo, Google really oversold this thing. It's great in some ways, but it has some real limitations in terms of even basic functionality.

As a funny side note, if you don't turn off the language filter for voice input, it can't play explicit song titles by voice command because it will blank out part of the expletive (e.g. Elton John's "the bitch is back" will be "the b*tch is back") and it will behave as though you just said "play elton john". If you turn off the filter, it will play the song as requested.

I just thought that was funny.

Overall, I love the phone.. but I expect more out of the assistant than what I'm getting in the current iteration.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge user. Will definitely be considering the next Pixel as my next phone. I'm sick of the amount of bloatware that comes on Samsung phones. Hopefully the Pixel 2 has expandable storage, that's one of my necessary features.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge user. Will definitely be considering the next Pixel as my next phone. I'm sick of the amount of bloatware that comes on Samsung phones. Hopefully the Pixel 2 has expandable storage, that's one of my necessary features.

that seems super unlikely. they're going to push Android to rely more and more on the cloud. which is fine for people like me who have good and cheap internet everywhere but bad for people with limited bandwidth who want access to their media.

the thing I want to see on the pixel 2 is wide set dual cameras for improved AR. i really think that has more potential than VR.

JordanKZ

If Google ever release a phone with SD card storage, I'll rip off my own foot and beat myself with it. We've had 7 phones in a row now, without expandable storage. This is extremely unlikely to ever change.

Pepiope

My 6S is still very new, and very good, but there's something about this phone that appeals to me a lot. I think it's something to do with the fact that it seems like the perfect Android phone; it doesn't have the adulterated rubbish that providers like Samsung include.

If it wasn't for my ties to Apple Music, and the trade-in prices for my 6S were better, I'd be very tempted.
All of my apple music stuff transferred from apple to android pretty easily. The app itself isn't as good, but it's much better than what it was a few months ago.

Ty4on

I wonder if the omission of a micro SD slot was for more control, snappiness of overall experience, or just to make more money.
No doubt they wanna make money on the Pixel, but Google has always hated micro SD. It complicates the user experience and you don't know what kind of a card the user is going to put into the device.

No Nexus has ever supported it IIRC and for a while they really fought it in Android updates. I totally get SD support, especially for heavy content users, but I'd much prefer a bigger push for more internal storage. It's not fun moving apps all over the place to free up internal storage.

Sami+

Just drained the battery completely and left the phone for a few hours.
Gave it a 20minute charge and the battery is only up 27% since, was expecting a bit faster.

Still, loving the phone!

Yeah what's the deal with the 15 minute charge thing? Idk why it took longer for me.

Anyway tho I'm liking mine! Soooooo smooth, even coming from iPhone. Android OS is super new to me tho, I feel super clueless for the first time in years.

garath

I had this problem. The setting to recognize the OK Google phrase was turned off and every time I turned it back on, it wouldn't stick. A reboot and redoing the voice profile fixed it. Working good now.

andthebeatgoeson

So, I'm liking the spigen clear case. The otter box has done me well in the past but i think i want to see the phone.

The larger otter box has a higher rim and prevents the screen cracking when it hits flat on a surface. Like this weekend for my current phone. I took the case off and been enjoying a case less phone.

Do you guys use screen protectors to prevent cracked screens? Is that a thing? Could a spigen clear case and a screen protector be an approach or is the spigen pretty good at preventing screens breaking? It looks like a smaller rim and like my old case from two phones ago that still allowed a broken screen.

garath

Any way to change the icon in the upper right of the home screen that shows weather and the date? Google is obsessed with always showing the weather. I really don't need to have it constantly in my face

Are the large and small phones the same outside of battery life?

I'm not crazy about my 6P anymore due to it's size. I'd like to get back down to the Nexus 5 size territory.

BiggNife

I know a lot of people here got the pixel XL, but I'm wondering if anyone here went from a 5.5“ phone to the regular sized 5" pixel? I feel like I kinda miss being able to easily type one handed. I'm mainly worried about battery life and if the lower pixel density is noticeable.

My current phone is a LG G4 and I'm awfully tempted to upgrade.

It's a shame this is only Verizon. I'd jump on demand in a heartbeat if this were on TMobile.
Verizon is the only carrier selling it directly but the phone itself works on all major US networks, I'm pretty sure. You just need to buy it directly from Google.

Cynar

Are the large and small phones the same outside of battery life?

I'm not crazy about my 6P anymore due to it's size. I'd like to get back down to the Nexus 5 size territory.
From what it looks like the normal pixel is sightly more battery than the 6p. I'm going to do the same for the same reason.

Kerned

Banned
I am having a hard time deciding between the standard model and the XL. I went to Verizon to handle them, but the security tether made it impossible to get a good feel for how manageable the XL truly is. I'm coming from an HTC One M8, and the 5" version is roughly the same width, but not as tall. Decisions decisions...

Husker86

Got mine early (shipped yesterday, was supposed to arrive Monday).

Such a nice phone. Definitely more comfortable to hold than the 6P.

ohhhhhh, jump on demand is some kind of TMobile program. im on an old prepaid plan that gives me truly unlimited data.

also, going from the nexus 6 to this im noticing more typos. I'll get used to it but I miss the massive keyboard.

cHaotix8

Got mine early (shipped yesterday, was supposed to arrive Monday).

Such a nice phone. Definitely more comfortable to hold than the 6P.

Man, if only I could say the same. FedEx says it shipped Thursday, arrived in town last night, and is out on the truck today with a scheduled delivery for the next business day. Looks like I'm gonna be waiting until Monday. :(

Husker86

Man, if only I could say the same. FedEx says it shipped Thursday, arrived in town last night, and is out on the truck today with a scheduled delivery for the next business day. Looks like I'm gonna be waiting until Monday. :(

Not to get your hopes up, but that's exactly the status mine had (on truck, scheduled for next business day). I was somewhat hopeful because that status was set at like 7:00am this morning.

edit: oh Google...Allo doesn't save history across devices? I swear, they will never ever figure out messaging.

Cynar

Apple music is on android you know ;)

NotBacon

Lol what's wrong with easily knowing the number of work emails I have?

You can swipe down on a notification to expand it and see the number of new emails (or texts or whatever). And you don't need to go back to the home screen. Trust me, the notification system is 10x better. After a week you'll wonder why you ever dealt with gaudy badges.

Sky Chief

I've had my Pixel XL for about 18 hours now

Initial impressions:

The phone is obviously well made but not breathtaking that's for sure. The top and bottom bezels don't bother me that much but the side bezels seem huge. Really glad that I got the black because I think it would be even more annoying with the white front. The phone is a attractive but nothing about it is sexy. It seems like the design is a year or two behind cutting edge manufacturing but it is made very well.

Quite Black isn't very black. I wish that the glass was black but instead it's charcoal. Again though, I think it's the best bet because of massive side bezels. But it's weird that when the OLED screen is showing black is significantly darker than the bezel.

Assistant is awesome, I love the news podcasts. I'm extremely impressed and it's obvious that this is going to get even better very soon.

Camera is amazing, the speed is just incredible and pictures are great.

Bluetooth is a huge improvement over Nexus phones. I have bitched a lot about how frustrating Bluetooth was with the N6 and N6P with many of my devices. Super fucking flakey! This is rock solid and so far as reliable as the iPhones and Galaxies that I've owned. Huge improvement on a crucial feature for me!

I got insane battery life yesterday. I was installing all my apps, setting up my phone, testing features, etc... so it got heavy use and it barely used any battery. Obviously, I need to test this more.

The reception is very good. My other phones often lose reception in my apartment but this maintains solid reception with half to three quarters of the reception bar full.

32GB is way too small, I've already filled 37GB. The setup dongle is a great idea and works very well and very quickly. My stuff was all transferred in 10 minutes.

The circular icons are half baked. Most of them are the old icon in a white circle. They bring even more inconsistency to the interface because only the Google apps are really circular and honestly all together it looks like shit, worse than how the icons looked before. I like how you can see more into folders now though.

The speaker is a major step back. Don't get me wrong, it's good for a single speaker but shit compared to the 6 and 6P. I need to have it at max volume all the time whereas the other phones I could keep lower and boost when I really needed to. It's not nearly as good an experience for conference calls and watching videos. When watching videos it's really easy to cover the speaker and muffle the sound. For me, this is easily the phone's biggest flaw. Fortunately, Bluetooth seems much improved but front facing stereo speakers should be standard on phones that cost this much money.

Overall the phone is excellent and nails most of the basics. I'm very happy and consider it overall to be the best phone on the market despite room for improvement.

that seems super unlikely. they're going to push Android to rely more and more on the cloud. which is fine for people like me who have good and cheap internet everywhere but bad for people with limited bandwidth who want access to their media.

the thing I want to see on the pixel 2 is wide set dual cameras for improved AR. i really think that has more potential than VR.

If Google ever release a phone with SD card storage, I'll rip off my own foot and beat myself with it. We've had 7 phones in a row now, without expandable storage. This is extremely unlikely to ever change.

That's so frustrating to me. I don't mind having a larger focus on the cloud but there are fairly constant use cases for people using their phones, especially as a mobile storage solution for files and such where Internet infrastructure isn't so great. It's quite easy to include micro SD compatibility and it seems the only real reason they don't is to push additional services and fairly arbitrary cost increases on consumers for each small storage jump. I'm easily irked by obvious anti consumer practices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's so frustrating to me. I don't mind having a larger focus on the cloud but there are fairly constant use cases for people using their phones, especially as a mobile storage solution for files and such where Internet infrastructure isn't so great. It's quite easy to include micro SD compatibility and it seems the only real reason they don't is to push additional services and fairly arbitrary cost increases on consumers for each small storage jump. I'm easily irked by obvious anti consumer practices.
So get a Samsung. Google went into their reasons why they don't.

killroy87

For some reason my stock Messenger app crashes every time I try to search through past threads. Every single time. This happening to anyone else?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Not buying anytime soon, but for me..

-no waterproofing
-lack of samsung pay
-no add on sd cards

+video stablization is godlike
+google assistant

I totally want one for traveling. But if the s8 gets announced with that level of video stabilization, nevermind.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know if Assistant is far and away better. They're closer than I previously thought. And Siri is far, far more beautiful. I didn't realize Siri displayed results with that much more elegance.

Assistant is better for sure, though, but as an Android user, Siri is closer than I was led to believe.

I don't know if Assistant is far and away better. They're closer than I previously thought. And Siri is far, far more beautiful. I didn't realize Siri displayed results with that much more elegance.

Assistant is better for sure, though, but as an Android user, Siri is closer than I was led to believe.

This is good though it makes Google a day Apple push the envelope on assistance.

Laekon

Ok Google on my phone has seemed a lot more useful then Siri on my iPad and MBP. It might be that it's connection to my Gmail account and calendar makes all the difference but it's there.

I have one issue with it compared to my old phone. It takes much longer for it to connect to my car SYNC system via bluetooth for media playing. It connects immediately for hands free calling but for whatever reason it takes like a minute or more to connect for media playing. My old phone would connect in a few seconds.

Aeana

I don't really have anything negative to say about the Pixel at this point. I went from an LG G2 on a Cyanogen version of Jelly Bean to an iPhone 6 and then 6S so picking up again with Android now is pretty crazy. It's so very different. I had initial pause about the fingerprint scanner location, but it's working fine for me now after 24 hours of use. Glad I didn't get the XL, though, as this phone is already pushing it for me size wise.

Bboy AJ

As a big phone user, I kind of want the normal Pixel just for a change of pace. BUT the possible difference in battery life would give me pause.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't really have anything negative to say about the Pixel at this point. I went from an LG G2 on a Cyanogen version of Jelly Bean to an iPhone 6 and then 6S so picking up again with Android now is pretty crazy. It's so very different. I had initial pause about the fingerprint scanner location, but it's working fine for me now after 24 hours of use. Glad I didn't get the XL, though, as this phone is already pushing it for me size wise.

I have an XL, I'm shocked by how much I love the finger print scanner location. It's perfect for me and I got used to it after about 2 hours of use.

i am legitimately curious about what people are putting on their phones that they need more than 128GB. I never break more than 10 or 15 total used.

SDCowboy

Traded in my S7 Edge for for a black Pixel XL, and I'm glad I did. Such a great phone. I just wish it had wireless charging.

i am legitimately curious about what people are putting on their phones that they need more than 128GB. I never break more than 10 or 15 total used.

I probably don't need more right now. I shoot 1080p 60fps video. I'd image in 2-3 years if we can do 4k 60fps, you'll want more than 128GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom