• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

GhaleonEB

Same read it a bunch of times before realizing it was Tuna 'veh

To be fair to the Waypoint folks, I had to hit quote before I realized it. I thought Frankie was doing something funky with forum tags to make it show up as a Tunavi quote, for a moment. I knew it was bogus based on what we already know, so I'd figured there were some shenanigans involved.

This is going to confuse me for a long time. I've come to associate Frankles with that avatar. I suppose with a new handle a new avatar is needed.

CyReN

wonka_annoyed.jpg

If I understood this correctly, this is a clue. Being a clue and watching this as a kid I have come to the conclusion this a reference to the "thrusters". because of this scene.

Exhibit A:
tumblr_ld1qdrEIVG1qe2ijzo1_500.gif

As you can see in the movie 1 hour and 12 minutes in Charlie and his Grandpa take some stuff and magically float in a "thrusters like motion."

Exhibit B:
zKPtF.jpg

In 2011 E3 press conference Master Chief is using it. There are 2 thrusters, meaning only 2 nights of sleep left until a vidoc explaining the user abilities and how they work.

cFzoo.gif

Back to my paper..

Trying to catch up on this thread. This is late, but I wanted to mention that weapons didn't break Countdown, armor abilities did just like every other map. Never forget.

To be fair to the Waypoint folks, I had to hit quote before I realized it. I thought Frankie was doing something funky with forum tags to make it show up as a Tunavi quote, for a moment. I knew it was bogus based on what we already know, so I'd figured there were some shenanigans involved.

This is going to confuse me for a long time. I've come to associate Frankles with that avatar. I suppose with an old new handle a new avatar is needed.

Trying to catch up on this thread. This is late, but I wanted to mention that weapons didn't break Countdown, armor abilities did just like every other map. Never forget.
weapons combined with armor abilities combined with bad movement combined with bad design (half open doors, etc.) combined with bad grenades broke Countdown.

so Reach broke Countdown

Bloom didn't break maps, though. That just made the experience awful to begin with. Without armor abilities (no sprint), base movement would have been much much faster.

You don't have to have a slow base movement to have sprint. Look at H4, what little we've seen seems to be a much faster than Reach and even 3 but it still has sprint.

Homeboyd

You the FF pro, you should know. Maybe 5 waves is a round I think?
Correct. Or one full game of solo score attack. So 75 games of solo score attack would be necessary.... or 25 games (sets) of arcade attack (with 15 waves or 3 rounds each).

GhaleonEB

If I understood this correctly, this is a clue. Being a clue and watching this as a kid I have come to the conclusion this a reference to the "thrusters". because of this scene.

I was going to make a golden ticket reference, but the expressions draw attention to themselves.

Retro

Everyone in HaloGAF now needs to switch to Frankie's avatar just to confuse the hell out of the Waypoint forums. Bonus points for posting insane ideas and getting them to buy it (i.e. Halo 4 will be set on Mars, with Master Chief fighting demons spawned from an experiment that accidentally opens a portal to Hell).

Confirmed: Armor Lock and Bubble Shield are now merged into a singular Armor Ability; players become blue and invulnerable, swelling into a giant bubble in which other players can hide. Enemy players can melee your bubble to 'squeeze' the juice out of your AA.

m23

LMAOOOOOOO

The fact that you guys were able to predict Waypoint forums would start going nuts over that post just killed me. That was a good laugh.

I'd take a MP disc where all the maps have less and less graphical things til it runs at 60 fps.

Call it Halo 4 - 60FPS ! Sell it for 60 bucks a month after Halo 4 comes out = profit.

kylej

Banned
I'd take a MP disc where all the maps have less and less graphical things til it runs at 60 fps.

Call it Halo 4 - 60FPS ! Sell it for 60 bucks a month after Halo 4 comes out = profit.

Take out 4 hour long campaign, Special Ops, whatever other stuff, put in 60fps clean MP w/ AT LEAST AS GOOD AS XBLA GAME TRIALS EVOLUTION map editor and theater, maybe throw some dedis on top, call it the Walshy Edition and sell me that bitch for $350. ship it and consider it sold

Crucio

Anyone use Crackle? The advertisements are freakishly hilarious or just plain ridiculous.
Otherwise great service for quick show but crummy quality in dark scenes.

If Halo 4 needs 2 discs, which I think things are pointing towards that, its ok with me as long as I don't always have to switch them.

How'd the HD texture pack in Battlefield 3 work? Would that be a possible implementation we could see for Halo 4?

If Halo 4 needs 2 discs, which I think things are pointing towards that, its ok with me as long as I don't always have to switch them.
Unless the campaign is non-linear, I'm not sure how'd there be constant switching.

senador

Banned
For new page...

Where did the multiple disc thing come from? Just speculation or was it hinted at?

I'd love multiple discs because it'd mean nothing had to be cut to fit or compressed more, etc. Do it like BF3: Campaign on Disc 1, Multi and Spartan Ops on Disc 2.

How'd the HD texture pack in Battlefield 3 work? Would that be a possible implementation we could see for Halo 4?

Well the texture pack for BF3 was a hard drive thing, not a disk space issue which we've been discussing.

As you can't allow an Xbox game to require the hard drive, dice made the texture pack an optional install to get better textures in the game.

CyReN

For new page...

Where did the multiple disc thing come from? Just speculation or was it hinted at?

I'd love multiple discs because it'd mean nothing had to be cut to fit or compressed more, etc. Do it like BF3: Campaign on Disc 1, Multi and Spartan Ops on Disc 2.

Max Payne 3 is 2 disc, just people guessing.

For new page...

someone mentioned Max Payne 3 being on 2 discs and it just went from there

edit: goddammit

You don't have to have a slow base movement to have sprint. Look at H4, what little we've seen seems to be a much faster than Reach and even 3 but it still has sprint.
I'm not talking about Halo4... I'm saying that armor abilities in Reach broke the maps. With no sprint, base movement would have been faster. Say what you want about it being possible to have sprint and fast movement in Halo4, but it didn't happen in Reach. And being able to sprint around each map with OP melee weapons and shotgun, in combination with nerfed precision weapons, and you have a recipe for disaster, especially with no bleed-through. If there were no jetpacks in Reach, it's likely that we would have had higher jump heights. No armor lock? Perhaps grenades wouldn't have been as strong. Too many things to account for and balance for map designers to make legitimately decent maps. Not saying that armor abilities could have been done differently to make them work, I'm just saying that didn't happen in Reach.

For new page...

Apparently, it has to do with Max Payne 3, but I've been thinking it could be on 2 discs for awhile now. Spartan Ops makes me think it's even more possible.

Well the texture pack for BF3 was a hard drive thing, not a disk space issue which we've been discussing.

As you can't allow an Xbox game to require the hard drive, dice made the texture pack an optional install to get better textures in the game.
Ahh, I see. So I guess I could see that happening, given the visual quality we've seen so far.

Ahh, I see. So I guess I could see that happening, given the visual quality we've seen so far.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprises if there is something like that.

I've been seriously impressed with the visuals from what we've seen so far. To me the Xbox has felt "maxed out" for a bit now, but devs keep impressing with their ability to squeeze more out of their games despite the old hardware.

feel

Take out 4 hour long campaign, Special Ops, whatever other stuff, put in 60fps clean MP w/ AT LEAST AS GOOD AS XBLA GAME TRIALS EVOLUTION map editor and theater, maybe throw some dedis on top, call it the Walshy Edition and sell me that bitch for $350. ship it and consider it sold
The FPS made with Trial Evolution's forge blew my mind, you can even aim down sights.

That game needs to be in everyone's xbox, and not just for the little big planet stuff, but because the core bike game itself is that good.

heckfu

Banned
The FPS made with Trial Evolution's forge blew my mind, you can even aim down sights.

That game needs to be in everyone's xbox, and not just for the little big planet stuff, but because the core bike game itself is that good.

It's SO good. I can't wait to get back to my box and play more of it.

Top Bottom