• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
applause.gif

Excellent new OP, really looks fleshed out now that it includes the monitor and peripheral guides. It's thanks to PC-GAF that I was able to successfully build my first computer last summer. Love you guys and all the great discussion. I'll probably be looking to make some upgrades this fall so I'll be lurking to see what changes are in the pipeline.

All the bits for my Oculus rig have started arriving - should have the OS and DVD drive tomorrow and I can get building. My first ever - someone hold my hand!

If you play a lot of slower paced games or games that are difficult to maintain huge frame rates in, IPS is better. The Asus VG23AH can do 75hz so you can get the best of everything.

If L4D is the fastest game you play, then I'm not sure you'll get too much out of the Benq 120hz monitor. Compared to an IPS monitor, it'll look trash simply because Benq calibrate their monitors for what they think is good for gaming (debatable) and not for good image quality.

Should probably stick to an IPS then. I've searched around but does anyone know of any 23-24" IPS monitors that have a matte screen at 16:9?

n0n44m

best topic on GAF ! (ok ok tied with IronGAF)

you guys put some amazing work in it

hai guyz

can we talk about $899 graphics cards in here

only if you buy two

mkenyon said:
[120Hz]
Vnp7oxv.png
hnmn6lJ.png
$250 - ASUS VG236H . . . . .
87owNtW.png
$400 - BenQ XL2420T . .
OWK09mF.png
$250-400 Samsung S23A700/750D

120hz monitors can be hard to find right now, possibly due to an upcoming refresh from ASUS and Samsung. 700D has dual link DVI only for 120Hz, 750D has displayport only. BenQ has the worst colors of the three, but a matte screen and a great stand.

do you still have the XL2420T ? I'm running the TFTcentral icc profile on it now with their recommended settings, and it looks pretty good for a TN monitor IMHO :p only "issue" is that you can't use color profiles with f.lux ...

also I've quickly tried that 3dvision backlight strobing thing they've been talking about ... seems to work good as well but I can't complain about regular 120 Hz either, so I'm not sure how much of it is placebo. Also you lose all contrast/brightness settings obviously

but there is now a XL2411T, which is cheaper than the -20T, has (unofficial) 144 Hz support, has even less input lag and more overdrive settings, but doesn't have the nice stand or the S-Switch

seems like it's only available in Europe at the moment though?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm in the works of getting a permanent discount code for GAF folks on Performance PC's as well. After that is finished up, I'll contact Aquatuning to see if we can get one for EuroGAF PC.

Y U NO HAV Fractal Design Nodal 304?

ChsE4Kw.jpg
Because it was released after I wrote it. Updating that guide is actually a priority for me. I have a LAN I'm hosting this weekend which will also include working on a ton of website stuff (www.labzfz.com) to finally get our first bunch of articles posted. Getting the OP updated was #1 priority, as it will also be partially transferred to the website.
do you still have the XL2420T ? I'm running the TFTcentral icc profile on it now with their recommended settings, and it looks pretty good for a TN monitor IMHO :p only "issue" is that you can't use color profiles with f.lux ...

also I've quickly tried that 3dvision backlight strobing thing they've been talking about ... seems to work good as well but I can't complain about regular 120 Hz either, so I'm not sure how much of it is placebo. Also you lose all contrast/brightness settings obviously

but there is now a XL2411T, which is cheaper than the -20T, has (unofficial) 144 Hz support, has even less input lag and more overdrive settings, but doesn't have the nice stand or the S-Switch

seems like it's only available in Europe at the moment though?
I do, and I'm also running the same profile. Even still, the color on the S23A750D is much much better. It might be due simply to gloss vs. matte screen.

The stand on the BenQ makes it a great secondary monitor, as I can switch between landscape/portrait based on my workflow, and still get it to be perfectly aligned with my head to prevent that gross TN effect.

Shambles

Thanks for keeping these threads up to date Hazaro et. all. For the thread title I would suggest replacing the fairy dust with 120hz. The poor consoles can resort to wishing on magic, we'll enjoy the future.

mkenyon

Banned
That's mATX and definitely bigger than the Prodigy.
Thanks for keeping these threads up to date Hazaro et. all. For the thread title I would suggest replacing the fairy dust with 120hz. The poor consoles can resort to wishing on magic, we'll enjoy the future.
Agreed.

Thread of 'Frame Latency and 120hz'

Shambles

That's mATX and definitely bigger than the Prodigy.

Agreed.

Thread of 'Frame Latency and 120hz'

Prodigy: 250 (W) x 404 (H) x 359 (D) mm
TJ08-E: 210 (W)x 374 (H)x 385 (D) mm

Makes the Prodigy 20% larger yet you give up 2 expansion slots for it. It's amazing for those looking to make a full water cooling PC as small as possible but for everyone else the TJ08-E is a class above the prodigy. I originally bought the prodigy and returned it since I was dissapointed in its size and general build quality. Not that the build quality is bad but having the loops on the bottom makes it unstable, the white paint on 3 different surfaces all reflect a different shade of white, and it was a fair bit wider than a normal PC tower. Even just removing the bottom loop handles and putting rubber pegs on the bottom instead would have improved it a lot.

garath

Fantastic OP guys. Great work really. So much good information.

Pleased to see the monitor I just bought made it on the list. The Asus VS247H-P was one heck of a find for the price I got it at. Great colors, little to no backlight bleed, fast response time, immensely bright. Great gaming monitor.

bro1

Banned
I can't believe how bad my GTX 660 SLi setup was until I just switched them out to this Gigabyte 670! So much more quiet and the visuals are so much better.

Performance is slower of course but I don't have 90% of the visual anomolies I had before and things just seem to be smoother.

Also, installed Windows 8 and it's not bad! Bit smoother than Win 7. Quick question though- how I stop the stupid black screen whenever I install software?

mkenyon

Banned
Prodigy: 250 (W) x 404 (H) x 359 (D) mm
TJ08-E: 210 (W)x 374 (H)x 385 (D) mm

Makes the Prodigy 20% larger yet you give up 2 expansion slots for it. It's amazing for those looking to make a full water cooling PC as small as possible but for everyone else the TJ08-E is a class above the prodigy. I originally bought the prodigy and returned it since I was dissapointed in its size and general build quality. Not that the build quality is bad but having the loops on the bottom makes it unstable, the white paint on 3 different surfaces all reflect a different shade of white, and it was a fair bit wider than a normal PC tower. Even just removing the bottom loop handles and putting rubber pegs on the bottom instead would have improved it a lot.
That counts the handles in the overall size. Pfft.

The Prodigy has the added benefit of much better closed loop cooler support as well as fan mounts for 120mm. It's just a far more flexible case than the TJ08.
pc's are copying next gen consoles and getting fairy sauce now too??!!
What if PC's always had it? Maybe that's why PC Gamers are so fucking crazy.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Great OP!

I don't post much - but I love lurking this thread. I really appreciate all the regulars who are always around to answer questions and provide advice. Trust me, more than just those you all are quoting are learning from your posts.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Upgraded this weekend from an Antec P180 to a Fractal R4. It's fucking lovely. So easy to work with, plus the cooling and front USB on my old case was all kinds of broken.

Panzon

Great job as usual with the OP. I dicided to save my money for my rig until Microsoft and Sony unveil the next Gen stuff

SoulClap

Argg..I'm regretting picking up the H60 2013 refresh. That Swiftech H220 is looking pretty good and is near silent in videos. Looks like it can fit in an R4 as well.

This is a pretty sweet thread. :) I just started a new job at Aria PC in the UK and I have become doused in PC hardware far more than my old Maplin job. The money means I can build a new PC too! Going to gun for a complete system + massive comfy chair for when the Oculus Rift comes out. Sucks that Has well is out soon. I would be happy to wait for it... Hmmmmmm.

mkenyon

Banned
Argg..I'm regretting picking up the H60 2013 refresh. That Swiftech H220 is looking pretty good and is near silent in videos. Looks like it can fit in an R4 as well.
If you like the fans, then just grab some Swiftech Helix fans. But, I can tell you that the SP120 Quiet Editions are more quiet than they are. Is there fan control on the H60i?

SoulClap

If you like the fans, then just grab some Swiftech Helix fans. But, I can tell you that the SP120 Quiet Editions are more quiet than they are. Is there fan control on the H60i?

There's no fan control software with the new H60's unfortunately. The only changes I'm aware of are a new fan and more flexible tubing. It's actually the H60 pump making the noise. No issues with the fan (I'm using an NF-F12 with the low noise adapter). It's not even loud or anything but I feel like I'm so close to having a silent rig.

Can I run a dual monitor setup even if the two monitors don't have the same native resolution ?

Edit: Almost forgot, great OP as always Haz.

alcide

Banned
Can I run a dual monitor setup even if the two monitors don't have the same native resolution ?

In games? Not sure about that.

But in windows you can have multiple monitors with different resolutions. I can for example extend my 1080p PC's monitor to my shitty 720p TV when I want to watch something.

garath

Just wanted to give some props to Corsair in this thread.

I have the Obsidian 650D case and out of the box my only complaint is some vibrations that I assumed were caused by the fans. Since I really liked the case I decided I would try replacing the fans (primarily with Corsair SP120 quiet editions). One of the changes was switching the top 140mm fan to 2 120mm.

Unfortunately when it came time to find the extra screws and such that came with the case to be able to put the extra fan in, I had some difficulties. They are in a box somewhere in my house and I don't have a clue where. On top of that, I wanted more rubber washers to further minimize vibrations.

So I contacted Corsair support asking if I could buy an accessory kit for the 650D since I didn't see it for purchase on the website. I explained why I wanted it and instead of having me purchase it, they asked that I request an RMA and they would send it out for free!

Unfortunately the person that was helping me went on vacation or something and it took a month and a half (and a couple messages asking for an update) but today via UPS I received the accessory kit with a mess of screws, rubber washers and all the other pieces that originally came with the case.

Slow but wonderful customer service. I'll be putting in the last 120mm fan tonight with the new washers and screws. It's worth mentioning that my case is now very quiet and vibration free with the fan change :)

Yes you can. My primary monitor is a 1920x1080 resolution and my secondary is a 1680x1050 monitor. I game on the primary in borderless windowed mode (1920x1080) and my second monitor has webpages, music, monitor software, etc up. In windows it works just fine as well. I use the extended desktop.

n0n44m

I do, and I'm also running the same profile. Even still, the color on the S23A750D is much much better. It might be due simply to gloss vs. matte screen.

The stand on the BenQ makes it a great secondary monitor, as I can switch between landscape/portrait based on my workflow, and still get it to be perfectly aligned with my head to prevent that gross TN effect.

hmm according to this article Asus is releasing the same panel as the XL2411T as a certified 144 Hz monitor (matte screen...)

so is it gonna be Thread of 'Frame Latency and 144hz' soon ? ;)

although that Lightboost Strobing Backlight "hack" thing looks pretty good as well ... going to try it out a bit more tonight, shame about the locked brightness/contrast/color settings in that mode though, with the 310.90 drivers my display was actually stuck in 3D/Lightboost mode after rebooting as well :/ back to 310.70

Great job as always OP.

I built my latest rig in 2011 and don't plan to upgrade my GPU until after next gen consoles drop. I personally don't see the point upgrading one now. I have a 6950 2GB.

Is now a good time to upgrade? I do a lot of streaming / video encoding and my machine is showing its age. I have a Phenom II X4 940 and a 5770 with 4gb's of ram, ect.

I want to keep my old machine intact, so I am looking at a complete new build. Think I can get a pretty hefty upgrade (over my old machine) for around $1000?

mkenyon

Banned
Yes and yes. I'd suggest adding a capture card like the Avermedia HD, as that can have a pretty profound effect on performance while streaming.

Do we know (approx) when nvidia will be launching their new cards? I'm wanting to upgrade my rig soon in preparation for Crysis 3 - and my 560Ti is really beginning to show its age in Far Cry 3. I'm considering the GTX680, but I'd like to be able to run games released this year (and hopefully early next year) at 1080p/60fps. I can't stand anything below 54-60.

My current specs if curious: 2500k@4.2Ghz 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, 560Ti 1GB VRAM

kharma45

Do we know (approx) when nvidia will be launching their new cards? I'm wanting to upgrade my rig soon in preparation for Crysis 3 - and my 560Ti is really beginning to show its age in Far Cry 3. I'm considering the GTX680, but I'd like to be able to run games released this year (and hopefully early next year) at 1080p/60fps. I can't stand anything below 54-60.

My current specs if curious: 2500k@4.2Ghz 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, 560Ti 1GB VRAM

Q2-Q3, not much else to go on bar rough guesstimations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom