• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mii Codes is the way to go for WiiOnline? (confirmed?)

Bo130

http://www.gamers.fr/actus/2007/04/27/next-level-games-foot-toujours

I thought this needed its own thread.

G – Et le code Mii, ça se passe comment ?

NLG / Justin Dowdeswell, Producer – Chaque Mii créé génère un code Mii qui reste invariable par la suite. Ce code servira donc pour tous les autres jeux jouables en ligne dans le futur.

Basicly Justin Dowdeswell from Next Level Games, the maker of Mario Strikers Charged Football, says that the friend code will be tied to your Mii, available for use in all future games as well. Nice, if true :D

Threi

notag
Well that is one problem potentially solved...onto the next problem - friend lists.

oh and Pedobear am joy.

Capndrake

The DS saves WFC connection settings for each game, I assume that it will be similar for the Friends Lists in Wii WFC games.

If there are any French people available to translate I would love to know what changed Nintendo's mind.

The failure of Battle Revolution in Japan, developer influence..? Heaven forbid the thought that it could have been Home.

4or6x4x.jpg

ant1532

Banned
Capndrake said:
Friend Code bashers am cry.
There are friend code supporters!!??

Friend Codes still are still stupid, though this is an improvement they still are horrible and Nintendo is way behind.

Evlar

Banned
Visualante said:
If there are any French people available to translate I would love to know what changed Nintendo's mind.

The failure of Battle Revolution in Japan, developer influence..? Heaven forbid the thought that it could have been Home.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that was it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nash said:
So why the hell didn't they just tie your Wii code to your Mii?
Each console could have many players/Mii using it. I think that's their reasonning.
Edit: beaten twice.

nli10

Nash said:
So why the hell didn't they just tie your Wii code to your Mii?

4 people in my house share the same machine. No way do I want to play online with some of the freaks they hook up with... :lol

If you don't want your friends to see you online you just go online as your Borat/Micheal Jackson/Other Mii and you are fine.

ant1532 said:
There are friend code supporters!!??

Friend Codes still are still stupid, though this is an improvement they still are horrible and Nintendo is way behind.
FC supporter here! :) I'll thake FC over paying for online gaming any day! :D

Also IGN confirmed that Big Brain Academy:

"the title also automatically imports all the friend codes stored on your Wii console, which is an extremely positive sign step toward the eradication of individual software-based friend codes. What this means is that you won't need to re-enter any friend codes if you've already added your friend's Wii system number to your console. "

:D

later

Good, now update the address book system and get rid of the universal friend code (only use it for backwards compatability, hide it somewhere deep) ok?? (maybe this was the update that happened when you inserted the mario soccer game for the first time...)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ah right, that would make sense.

So the games will generate different Friend Codes for every single Mii you use? Rather than each game having it's own Friend Code like on the DS. I haven't played Mario Strikers.

So any future online games will then just check the Mii you select and see if it's already got a Friend Code assigned and just use that rather than generating a new one. If it works like that, then that's a pretty good solution.

They'd have to build in more stuff though. Aren't the Friend Codes game specific so the WFC knows what game you are playing?

Neo Child

Banned
Kafel said:
Uh, I have known that for a month.

Who decided to talk about this one month old interview ?

As you're quite aware many here weren't aware of this interview, or this fact. Go shove your arrogance somewhere else plz.

Edit: THinking about it, friend codes are the only actual way to go to get Mii-online-profile support. If you think about it there would be tonnes of "Tom"'s and "A.Hitler"'s.

Kafel

Banned
Neo Child said:
As you're quite aware many here weren't aware of this interview, or this fact. Go shove your arrogance somewhere else plz.

Seriously, far from me the idea of being arrogant but I'm sure this interview ( or another with the same info since many journalists were invited at the studios one month ago ) has already been posted on GAF.

Neo Child

Banned
Kafel said:
Seriously, far from me the idea of being arrogant but I'm sure this interview ( or another with the same info since many journalists were invited at the studios one month ago ) has already been posted on GAF.

Oh okay, I'm sorry. It's just I can't remember hearing this at all here. Very sorry.

Mighty

So, instead of getting a nice, fun, and fairly simple gamertag, I get a juicy 12 digit "friend code"?

Damnit Nintendo, you're always a step behind when it comes to online.

Ramenman

Kafel said:

HOW COME YOU DIDNT TELL ME ??

ça fait une éternité que je suis pas passé sur le site :n:

Edit :

Rogultgot said:
Sounds cool, my Mii "Phil" will have a second name now; "933001994819".

Mighty said:
So, instead of getting a nice, fun, and fairly simple gamertag, I get a juicy 12 digit "friend code"?

This just in (well, actually it's known since Mario Kart DS) :

Friends Codes DO NOT REPLACE USERNAMES. NEVER.

It's annoying to see people complaining about Friend Codes because they think you've got an "number" instead of a name.
What are you thinking ?? Because having a number is mass market/casual friendly ? And how would you even know with who you're playing with ?

thatbox

Banned
Visualante said:

Here's the bottom part of the interview, concerning the online stuff. I'm no BlimBlim or Snoopers, but here you go. Not necessarily word for word.
G:
Mario Strikers Charged is the first online game. To know that you're going to set the example with your choices of interfaces, how modes fit together - do you feel the pressure?
NLG:
We have some guys who worked on Xbox Live, and we've worked closely with Nintendo on this. We haven't compromised at all, and the result is exactly what we had hoped.

G:
So how does getting online work?
NLG:
In the menu, there's a spcial NWFC icon. You can see a random list of players from your continent, or play with your friends. Players will be ranked by stars, and the max number of players is four. Only two Wiis can be connected (excuse is to avoid lag), so to play with four you need two people on each Wii.

G:
Can you play against people from all across the world?
NLG:
Parties are limited to regions corresponding to continents. This limits connection problems caused by distance and you'll still have plenty of people to play with. Regions are: USA, EU, Japan, AUS. Rankings are also region-specific.

G:
And the Mii code, how's that work?
NLG:
Each Mii generates a Mii code that remains constant. This code will be used for all online titles in the future.

G:
Any final words?
NLG:
We've instituted "Striker of the Day." The player with the most victories that day will have the honor of having his Mii on the front page of the online mode the next day. Each player connected to the NWFC will see the name of this player. What's more, regional rankings will be periodically (every two months?) reset to give everybody a chance to try to get to the top of the charts.

Branduil

"the title also automatically imports all the friend codes stored on your Wii console, which is an extremely positive sign step toward the eradication of individual software-based friend codes. What this means is that you won't need to re-enter any friend codes if you've already added your friend's Wii system number to your console. "

This is fantastic news. My biggest problem with Friend Codes was always with the idea of having to re-enter them.

Maybe this is the reason for the mysterious update?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158855&highlight=strikers+update

So this morning my Wii got updated. It was fast, very fast indeed. But after the update it said nothing about the update itself. Now my firmware is 2.2E. Does anyone know whart this update does? It was done when I put Mario Strikers Charged Football inside the slot, and it didn't ask if I wanted to.

Does anyone know what's the update for? Could it to prevent piracy or something through the online of the game? (the update was before ever playing the game, but it was inside the slot).

CoolS

CreatureX3 said:
Also IGN confirmed that Big Brain Academy:

:D

Seriously, I don't like that at all. It sounds like it uses the Wii codes, not the Mii friendcodes.
Two different ways for friendlists confirmed? :(

Tristam

Kafel said:

I've also known about this for a while. I don't see how this is news. I thought it was great at the time and still do.

Avrum

Mighty said:

The hallmark post of one who speaks without knowing the context of things. I don't mean that as an insult mind you, but you can easily tell who knows how the FCs work and who doesn't when they make comments like that.

For example, if both of us hooked up in Mario Kart DS, Metroid or any other game with matchmaking on the DS, you will see my name (Avrum) not my FC.

But wow, I really hope this news is true. If so, that would definitely make things a lot more manageable. I'm willing to put up with FCs simply because I can't wait to play some games like Strikers or BWii online, but that doesn't mean FCs aren't tedious as hell.

Still gotta deal with them though, but to a much lesser extent which is awesome. :D

This is good news that Nintendo is shoring up one of the bigger complaints about the online system. I don't play online on any system - but understand Live is the main one - for people who have played Strikers how does it compare and what are some things Nintendo can do online play-wise to be as good as Live?

Capndrake

Hollywood_mIRC said:
for people who have played Strikers how does it compare and what are some things Nintendo can do online play-wise to be as good as Live?
Release a headset ASAP, but (IMO) you should only be able to voice chat with friends.

I'd also like to be able to watch matches that friends are playing.

JDSN

Banned
Thats a pretty clever move, of course it would have been easier to avoid friend codes altogether, but this when it comes to Nintendo, beggars cant be choosers.

Also, didnt Matt from IGN said that Battalion Wars was probably going to use this?

Avrum

Thats a pretty clever move, of course it would have been easier to avoid friend codes altogether, but this when it comes to Nintendo, beggars cant be choosers.

Also, didnt Matt from IGN said that Battalion Wars was probably going to use this?

It makes sense anyway. Other than Pokemon Battle Revolution which I'm not sure of...Strikers, that Sega Pachislot online game, Big Brain Academy Wii Degree, Madden and Fifa all use Miis as the player's profile. Not sure about Guitar Hero III since there isn't any news on that front for Wii anyway regarding the specifics of its online mode, but overall it would make sense.

Top Bottom