• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

Jonboy

What are you guys using when you finish playing the system? Anyone know the technical benefits/limitations of each?

UPDATE: Info from PS Blog FAQ.

-Does PS4 feature a “stand-by” mode?
Yes, PS4’s stand-by mode deactivates its primary functions to reduce energy usage, though it is still able to charge DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controllers and download system updates in this power-saving mode. As an added benefit for PlayStation Plus members, PS4 can automatically download game patches when in standby mode as well.

-You can also purchase digital games through the Sony Entertainment Network online store via PC and compatible mobile devices through PlayStation App — if your PS4 is in standby mode, the game will automatically download.

-Will PS4 be able to automatically download game patches?
Yes, all PS4 users will be able to automatically download and install game patches to their PS4. In addition, PlayStation Plus members will enjoy the ability to have those automatic downloads happen while the system is in standby mode.

-Does PS4 have to be always turned on to automatically download game patches? No, PlayStation Plus members can take advantage of this feature even when PS4 is in standby mode.

-How can users charge DUALSHOCK 4? Does PS4 include a charge cable?
You can charge the DUALSHOCK 4 on a PS4 system whether the system is active or in standby mode using the bundled micro USB charge cable.

-Does PS4 have to be on to take advantage of Remote Play?
Yes. But PS Vita can remotely wake up PS4 when in standby mode, as long as this feature is activated in the Power Settings menu on PS4.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Jonboy

depends if your going to be downloading via the app, and want to get it to a game about 10/15 seconds quicker
I guess I'm just wondering if there are any real negatives to using standby? Doesn't make sense...not to put it in standby. Unless you're just really needing to conserve power for your home or plan on unplugging it?

I guess I'm just wondering if there are any real negatives to using standby? Doesn't make sense...not to put it in standby. Unless you're just really needing to conserve power for your home or plan on unplugging it?

Negatives? Can't think of any other than a few extra cents on your electric bill.

daevv

It seems to still install games when in standby not sure about downloading as BF4 was finished downloading before I went to turn it off. I didn't see a turn off when done option when downloading/installing like the PS3 has.

Teamugi

Neo Member
Personally? Shut down for the most part - why induce significantly unnecessary wear-and-tear and potential problems when you don't really have to?

Of course, no idea what the system uses in standby and not judging anyone but mine's getting turned off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so it doesn't wake up automatically from shutdown to update trophies/download patches/upload saves? Only in standby?

It'd be good if shut down still checked overnight, but standby was listening more often. Or if standby was necessary for remoteplay.

angrygnat

Just out of curiosity. Will the system continue to upload stuff to the cloud with power off? Continue downloading games and such? Haven't had time to check it out. I started a few downloads before I left for work and left it in standby just to be sure.

Vestal

Gold Member
Standby should be the defacto standard just like with pcs.

Turning any electronic device on from a cold state increases the chances of the device faulting.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ok colour me confused. I thought there would be no sleep at launch? Or is it in the firmware update? Or are standby and sleep two different states?

Or is OP talking about actually turning off the PS4 from the plug.

Standby should be the defacto standard just like with pcs.

Turning any electronic device on from a cold state increases the chances of the device faulting.
I did not know this, always assumed the opposite actually.

Jonboy

So...nobody knows anything is what I gather from this thread. Lol.

Seriously though, it would be nice if we could see a list of what the PS4 can/can't do in standby mode v.s. what it can/can't do in shutdown mode.

Piccoro

If it's like the PS3, the console needs to stay in standby mode if you want to remote play away from home with the Vita. And the console can automatically download and install updates and patches by itself.
Also, unlike PS3, you can charge your DS4 while on standby. So it's much more preferable IMO.

gruenel

Interesting power usage reported here:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

STANDBY MODE 70-71W
STANDBY MODE (W/ DOWNLOAD) 73-74W
IDLE ON MENU 89-91W
IDLE W/ DISC IN DRIVE 93-96W
BLU-RAY 93-96W
NETFLIX 93W
GAME INSTALLATION 108W-116W
GAMING (RESOGUN) 130-139W
GAMING (KILLZONE) 144W-151W
CHARGING CONTROLLER add 4 Watts

70W in standby mode can't be true lol. They wouldn't be able to sell it in the EU. Must be some kind of mistake.

Jonboy

Ok colour me confused. I thought there would be no sleep at launch? Or is it in the firmware update? Or are standby and sleep two different states?

Or is OP talking about actually turning off the PS4 from the plug.
Right now when you hold down the PS button, you get a few different options. Log-out (change user), Standby mode, and complete shutdown are the options. I'm sure there's a list out there of what the PS4 can/can't do in each mode, but I haven't found it yet.

Not the same as suspend/resume.

Lionheart

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

STANDBY MODE 70-71W
IDLE ON MENU 89-91W
BLU-RAY 93-96W
NETFLIX 93W
SEVENTY on standby? WTF! And do you need standby for the PS3 PLUS-like features (auto download of firmware and such)?

Jonboy

Ok I'm going to update the OP. This info is from the FAQ on the PS blog.

-Does PS4 feature a “stand-by” mode?
Yes, PS4’s stand-by mode deactivates its primary functions to reduce energy usage, though it is still able to charge DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controllers and download system updates in this power-saving mode. As an added benefit for PlayStation Plus members, PS4 can automatically download game patches when in standby mode as well.

-You can also purchase digital games through the Sony Entertainment Network online store via PC and compatible mobile devices through PlayStation App — if your PS4 is in standby mode, the game will automatically download.

-Will PS4 be able to automatically download game patches?
Yes, all PS4 users will be able to automatically download and install game patches to their PS4. In addition, PlayStation Plus members will enjoy the ability to have those automatic downloads happen while the system is in standby mode.

-Does PS4 have to be always turned on to automatically download game patches? No, PlayStation Plus members can take advantage of this feature even when PS4 is in standby mode.

-How can users charge DUALSHOCK 4? Does PS4 include a charge cable?
You can charge the DUALSHOCK 4 on a PS4 system whether the system is active or in standby mode using the bundled micro USB charge cable.

-Does PS4 have to be on to take advantage of Remote Play?
Yes. But PS Vita can remotely wake up PS4 when in standby mode, as long as this feature is activated in the Power Settings menu on PS4.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

STANDBY MODE 70-71W
IDLE ON MENU 89-91W
BLU-RAY 93-96W
NETFLIX 93W

No way... is this their current solution to their no suspend/resume thing they talked about?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Right now when you hold down the PS button, you get a few different options. Log-out (change user), Standby mode, and complete shutdown are the options. I'm sure there's a list out there of what the PS4 can/can't do in each mode, but I haven't found it yet.

Not the same as suspend/resume.
Oh I see. Suspend/Resume sounds more like Hibernation. With Standby you have to exit the game you're playing?

DBT85

gruenel

On 6 January 2010 the European Commission (EC) Regulation No 1275/2008 came into force. The regulations mandate that from 6 January 2010 "off mode" and standby power for electrical and electronic household and office equipment shall not exceed 1W, "standby plus" power (providing information or status display in addition to possible reactivation function) shall not exceed 2W. Equipment must where appropriate provide off mode and/or standby mode when the equipment is connected to the mains power source. These figures were halved on 6 January 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/nmo/docs/eup/leaflets/standby-and-off-leaflet.pdf

H3xum

There's no way that's right.

Or I guess maybe this is what the standby is going to look like until they get the resume stuff in?

Begaria

Standby for life! I don't think I've ever turned my PS3 off since I picked it up in 2009, except for when I was transporting it to another house.

Vashetti

Banned
That standby wattage has killed my interest in leaving the console on.

Is that something they can rectify through firmware or no?

Jburton

Banned
Theoretically a cold shutdown/startup would wear out the console more so than waking up from and putting the system in standby. No?

Yes, and with this next generation of consoles having been designed to be always on (completely or low power state) then even more so would full shutdown and cold booting each time be against the grain of design alongside it being the most traumatic time for any electrical component.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Per Killowatt hour. I don't know what this means but I think it's calculated like that. Black magic maths, basically.

its the equivalent of leaving a lightbulb switched on permanently. That is nuts - and barely lower than the UI idle usage. I bet they have to keep the fan on too

standby should be just the background processor and the main CPU/GPU should be completely idle. Should be way less than 70W. Maybe it needs updating. But if the only way it can automatically do stuff like updating games is to use up 70W continuously, then fuck that.

Top Bottom