• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do male cats get fat and lazy after you neuter them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

I don't think I've heard about this myth before. I've had two male cats, and both were neutered. Neither one has ever become fat or lazy. :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think there is something too it.
But I also think it has something to do with the gender. The female cats we have are smaller then the male cats.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, My neutered Cat is Fat and Lazy compared to my previous non neutered ones. But at least he doesn't disappears for weeks at a time, returning always dirty and sometimes wounded, and eventually never return again.

CurseoftheGods said:
I'd like to know if this is true or just a myth for my own curiosity. My baby is getting castrated next week. <3

Thanks.

They often will naturally develop a pouch on their lower belly if you neuter them. Doesn't always mean the cat is going to get fat, but they do often get that flabby big belly.

Kozak

Banned
My cat is neutered and he is of good weight but the laziest mofo. He does get all hyped up when we get small nut mice, moths or birds eat his food.

Also has mood swings like a bitch.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
All 3 of my cats have gone under the knife, one female the other two are male. We don't let them outside and we feed them ourselves in the morning and at night. None of them are fat.

Mike M

Nick N
I've had three neutered males.

Cat 1: Got husky, but he was still little when we did it. He was actually rather aggressive after the fact (Not really mean or anything, just... Did what he wanted when he wanted), and later he became an indoor/outdoor cat and was pretty lean.

Cat 2: Never got fat, but was never very active. Very docile and snuggly, but how much of that was from the neuter and how much if that was from being manhandled since he was a kitten, I can't say.

Cat 3: Kind of a mix between the other two. Big, dumb, friendly orange bastard who likes to make noise and break things. He's large, but not really fat. He runs around the house a lot.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not in my experience. We had a neutered cat and he was still the scourge of the neighborhood wildlife for years. Its only now that he's getting up there that he's getting fat and lazy.

Mike M

Nick N
Also, there was that news story a few years back about that neutered tom who fucking treed a goddamn bear :lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
industrian said:
Don't feed them as much pizza as you normally would. Problem solved.
Don't ever feed a neutered cat pizza. It'll regenerate the testes in a matter of minutes meaning you have to do the operation all over again.

Lasagna OTOH....

Fio

There are few things more cruel to an animal than castrating it. It completely changes the behavior of the animal and turns it into a soulless creature just waiting to die.

Don't do it. If you absolutely have to do it it's because you can't have a pet.

ronito said:
depends. Do you have q-tips?

p6yFb.jpg

They may, may not. Don't over-feed him and do make sure to play with the cat. If you set out a huge amount of food you're tempting him to overeat. It would also help if you had another pet around to keep him busy.

Fio said:
There are few things more cruel to an animal than castrating it. It completely changes the behavior of the animal and turns it into a soulless creature just waiting to die.

If you can keep him inside and deal with the consequences, bravo. If an outside cat, you should definitely 100% neuter. The world doesn't need any more stray cats getting run over, dying of disease, etc.

falconzss

Fio said:

my guess is that you haven't had a male cat that spreyed your whole flat in the process...

Varna

Fio said:

Eh... I've seen no difference in my cat's behavior. He still runs around like an idiot chasing random items and attacking my other cats.

Vague

Neuter or not, cats wont get fat unless you feed them shitty food full of grain instead of actual meat (like people!).

Our cats free feed from a feeder that gives a constant supply of Wellness CORE® Grain-Free Fish & Fowl ( http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=cat&pid=23#ingredients )

And they each get one can of Wellness CORE® Grain-Free Salmon, Whitefish & Herring ( http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=cat&pid=17&dm=grainfree ) a day.

One grazes ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQAAP0OtJq8 ), the other eats like he's starving every day ( http://ashleysmash.com/loki.jpg ) and neither have gotten fat.

Fio said:

You're an idiot. It's cruel to not castrate, there are enough cats that need homes without bringing more into the world (and having your house ruined in the process).

De-clawing is cruel though and I'd never do that to a cat.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Vague said:
Neuter or not, cats wont get fat unless you feed them shitty food full of grain instead of actual meat (like people!).
You're telling people to feed cats ground up human meat?

this guy

If I knew that I was never going to enjoy sex for the rest of my life I'd probably get fat and lazy too. Lazier that is.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My poor kitty got a pouch around her belly after being spayed. I guess this is normal, I dont remember it with my previous cats :(
Now everyone calls her fat even though she is no where near it.

NotWii

Banned
Neutering can change their behavior
Some get really depressed

Why neuter a male cat though?
It's not like a male cat can have babies, owners of lady cats should be worried about that
I wouldn't do it

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wii said:
It's not like a male cat can have babies, owners of lady cats should be worried about that
I wouldn't do it
Mainly because they piss everywhere and wander off and get in fights constantly.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Wii said:
Neutering can change their behavior
Some get really depressed

I wouldn't do it
None of my Non neutered cats lasted more than 5 years. My neutered cats is already at 7 and going still going strong.

Rad-

Neutered cats do tend to eat more food, that is a fact yes. There is even special light food targeted at neutered male cats in pet stores.

Tokubetsu

Piggus said:
I don't think I've heard about this myth before. I've had two male cats, and both were neutered. Neither one has ever become fat or lazy. :)

One here and yea, he hasn't calmed down that much. He's still hurting himself trying to make impossible leaps.

suzu

People who tell others to not neuter or spay their cats must not own or been around any non-fixed cats before..

34356_418203207327_500292327_4486629_6550000_n.jpg

Yeah, my Jojo is always being fat and lazy

And when he gets attention from Mandy

76852_473920452327_500292327_5545670_1908774_n.jpg

He ignores her. Can you believe that?

But in all seriousness now, they do get more calm and easy going, so watch out with the diet.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Freshmaker said:
Mainly because they piss everywhere and wander off and get in fights constantly.

Pretty much.

You don't want a Dudebrocat hanging around the house, I can assure you.

NotWii

Banned
suzu said:
People who tell others to not neuter or spay their cats must not own or been around any non-fixed cats before..
BULLSHIT
All of my cats have been non 'fixed', even had some kitten surprises!
I've been around 'fixed' cats and they seem somewhat dopey

Freshmaker said:
You've convinced me, lets neuter all alcoholics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom