• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So buying a used WiiU has its advantages

DSN2K

whoever owned the console before me purchased multiple games, meaning all the games he purchased are available to redownload for free....This is with a new account btw I setup as well. Games are clearly linked to Console itself. Advice to those buying a second hand WiiU's...check all the games on the Store...you might be in for some "free" games!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Games tied to the system rather than the profile?

I pray the other companies do not follow suit.

Let's just get this out of the way:

ReggieShrug.gif

Well then, that may actually make selling it easier too. "Selling without games, but I did buy NSMBU and Nintendoland from the eshop...wink."

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
There ought to be an option to de-couple the system ID and eShop purchases before you sell or give it away.

Fox Mulder

I was offering mine for $330 with NSMBU and nintendoland on Craigslist and no one bit. Maybe I should have just waited to buy a used one then.

xxracerxx

Console was wiped....it must be on a Basic hardware level, all the games that had been purchased were labelled...."redownload"

Can you sort by purchased games or do you manually have to go down the list?

drkOne

To anyone who didn't know/is surprised, where have you been?
Everything is tied to the NNID, which is tied to the console, and every account on that console is able to access all of the console's content.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo realized this was going to happen but didn't care.

Bgamer90

Banned
I knew about the NNID being locked to the console but It never occurred to me that it was possible for a situation like this to happen due to it.

Wow. Just wow (lol)...

Striek

Nice. Although its just a doubling down of the incompetence Nintendo has in the online account arena, heh.

xxracerxx

way I have found the games so far is pot luck, clicked on trine 2, went to view details and it said redownload.

Good god. So that means you have to go through every full game and see if it was purchased before?

-MB-

Seems it could be a matter of the previous owner formatting the internal nand without deleting his account beforehand.

Should not be possible, if u delete the account the title rights should have been deleted too.

This, essentially. It has the same options as 3DS in that you can unlink the club Nintendo account from your NNID, delete the user account and format the machine. Maybe a quirk of an unlinked user not deleting their stuff before selling?

Either way, awesome news for you - what games did you get? :D

Edit: trine 2 is pretty cool. Check sonic racing and mighty switch force!

Nintendo will never get the fucking online portion right. Never. They were light-years behind in 2006. They're arguably worse even today with the advent of the Wii U.

epmode

To anyone who didn't know/is surprised, where have you been?
Everything is tied to the NNID, which is tied to the console, and every account on that console is able to access all of the console's content.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo realized this was going to happen but didn't care.

This sort of thing was awful when the Wii was released. That they went with a similar system for Wii U is unfathomable. Do these people even use the internet?

DSN2K

This, essentially. It has the same options as 3DS in that you can unlink the club Nintendo account from your NNID, delete the user account and format the machine. Maybe a quirk of an unlinked user not deleting their stuff before selling?

Either way, awesome news for you - what games did you get? :D

trine 2, Nano Assault...still looking!!!

plainr_

So is digital content tied to the console or the NNID? Or is everything tied to the NNID, which is tied to the console? I'm confus.

Nintendo will never get the fucking online portion right. Never. They were light-years behind in 2006. They're arguably worse even today with the advent of the Wii U.

If they removed their head from their ass and did what every other company in the world does and link to people instead of to hardware....and so on and so forth. I can't believe we're still having this conversation about Nintendo. So sad.

Top Bottom