• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Unknown?

Was playing Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine yesterday and I HAD to buy this. Preordered for PS4, because it's so cheap.

Imported the original version and had fun playing with friends. Grabbing it for Switch this time and I'll probably dig into the single player this time. If the demo is anything to go by, I'm in for a rough awakening on my actual skills haha.

Why isn't the Switch version available on Amazon UK? 😠

Ask Amazon it's been there in the past and is everywhere else

You don't even need to create a US account. You can just change your region.

There is a good chance your credit card won't work though. Mine hasn't on any of the eShops.

Silly question but i guess its fine to switch back to UK after and still have the us games?

Terrorblot

Best Buy just shipped my package! Hopefully it's there when I get out of work tomorrow afternoon! As a kid I hated Puyo Pop games because I never really understood comboing and found it more boring than Tetris or Puzzle Fighter, now that I've read up on it a bit and am older I can't wait to give it a real go. Honestly even if Puyo Puyo ends up not sticking with me I'm excited to just have a competent Tetris Marathon mode to play on the Switch, everything else is just added potential / icing for me.

With GCU I can get the physical version for roughly the same price as digital. The question is: do I want to give up the always-available convenience in order to get those adorable keychains?

This is a difficult decision.

Piccoro

What on earth? I just checked some game retailers in my country, and Puyo Puyo Tetris is available since last week, the 21st of April!
The internet said it was only coming to EU the 27th?? I'm gonna pick it up after work, then!

I'm ready.

giphy.gif

I've got my Switch copy paid off and ready to go! Just have to go pick it up first thing tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my mom, who's a huge Tetris fan and once stole my Gameboy for six months just for Tetris. Come to think of it, this is the second game on Switch that is a sequel to old NES era games I used to play with my parents.. the other being Bomberman.

Dazzler

Such a bummer there's no option to keep the JP voice. I always know I'm killing it when my fish dude shouts out GROOOOOVY in the middle of a match

Of the three copies I pre-ordered, the one designated for in-store pickup is already ready while the ones I had for delivery still haven't shipped🤔

Nottle

Downloaded the demo on a whim because I knew Giantbomb were big fans of the game.

Played it with my girlfriend and had a surprising amount of fun!

I may actually buy it on the switch.

I play as Sig and she plays as Zed. We really like the deadpan going on. Cyan! Vitamins!

S2

Who plans on streaming their story mode playthrough? I really love watching new players tackle the game.

Kaibutsu

The Japanese version just pushed a patch yesterday and I was hoping it added an english language option to it lol.
it didn't

jacobeid

Banned
The Japanese version just pushed a patch yesterday and I was hoping it added an english language option to it lol.
it didn't

I'm hoping they patch dual audio into the English release. I love the Japanese voices and really don't like the English ones. Honestly tempted to buy the JP version even though I'll miss out on all of the story stuff.

Peltz

btw is this 1080p docked?

People are saying it has the same 720p assets as the handheld mode, but output in 1080p. Sort of an upscale. It doesn't look as clean as the PS4 version and there are tiny artifacts around the tetrominos for example. But, personally, I played the demo docked and have no complaints about the IQ.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am all about digital (no carrying around carts), but Amazon Prime brings it to $32 with two keychains... hmm...

Tain

People are saying it has the same 720p assets as the handheld mode, but output in 1080p. Sort of an upscale. It doesn't look as clean as the PS4 version and there are tiny artifacts around the tetrominos for example. But, personally, I played the demo docked and have no complaints about the IQ.

Considering that the PS3 version has 1080p assets (I think), that's a little disappointing for me.

arimanius

Can't wait. I'll be buying this digitally so play quick games anytime I want. I wanted to play with the Japanese voices. Hopefully they will add an option to download them in the future.

aka_bueno

I am all about digital (no carrying around carts), but Amazon Prime brings it to $32 with two keychains... hmm...

I was all digital up until Switch because of that reason. I never got to take advantage of the Prime discount and I was just leaving money on the table pretty much. And $40 for PPT is kinda hard to swallow to be honest, at $32 with keychains, it's on!

Been buying everything physical and saving money with the 20% Prime discount since Switch came out, shoulda done it sooner. I don't mind swapping carts on a handheld though.

OK, thanks. I'm probably gonna play mostly in handheld but it's good to know.

Ion Guru

I'm going physical primarily because of the keychains and the prime discount. It seems like a great game to have digital, but if I'm out and about I'll have my Waterfield case which can hold quite a few games anyway.

Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine always had much more mature writing, as you can probably see here in their article 'Gaming and Glasnost" centered on Tetris from May 1990.

I'm not committed to picking up Puyo Puyo Tetris just yet (the demo will suffice for now), but I'm so glad I popped into the OT to find old scans of Tetris coverage like these. This one was new to me; thanks for sharing.

Arnie Katz said:
I once wrote that although Tetris was clearly the Game of the Year in 1988, it would not have been published if submitted by an American designer. This was meant more as a negative comment about the U.S. publishing business than a knock against Pajitnov's brainchild. It's hard to imagine one of our big, marketing-driven American companies putting out a game as elegantly simple as Tetris in the normal course of operation. Special circumstances allowed Tetris to squeak through with its compelling play mechanic undiluted.

The more things change...

Unknown?

Wondering what console will be more popular :-D
Switch just launched so naturally it'll do well there. Same reason a game like Killzone could do so well at PS4 launch. Not much competition and lots of new users wanting more games to try out on their new system.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Kind of want this! The price seems maybe a taaad high, but we'll see.

I could see this having excellent digital sales on the ps4. Too bad it's physical only on that system.

Lol, really? Why the hell? I'm the sort of person who still buys a lot of physical copies (mainly of big SP titles), and this is EXACTLY the kind of game I would definitely want digitally, so that I can fire it up whenever I feel like playing a match without having to switch discs/cards.

So yeah, Switch version for me if I get it.

Got a notice from Amazon that my PS4 copy is being delivered today. That's a nice surprise, they always seem to hold fast to the Tuesday release date on games.

Also vs Puyo a simple 3-chain is enough to counter a Perfect Clear. What would be 10 Lines vs Tetris is barely an inconvenience to even basic Puyo players when they can just shit out a basic chain and clear it.

What is going on with the balance there?
Tetris has a huge advantage over Puyo. Puyo can clear stuff like that because otherwise playing Puyo against a good Tetris player would just be unplayable.

I have this pre-ordered for PS4 because of the controller. Might double dip lat later date for the Switch version also.

It's just great to be able to play Puyo Puyo again.

Top Bottom