• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

There's nothing stopping anyone from viewing these shots on a Vita or similar sized screen. People trying to paint these screens as wrong/misleading don't know what they're talking about.

Actually you don't know what you are talking about. These screens on my monitor are bigger then the entire vita... how is that not misleading?

Yes this is the resolution the vita is running the game at, actually, it's even worst then that since these screens clearly show the game is using subnative resolution, but when seen on an actual vita, since the pixel density is much bigger it gives it a super sampled look, making what you see actually much better.

Eitherway it looks awful, it's like they were doing it for PSP and just decided to do a quick port.

Actually you don't know what you are talking about. These screens on my monitor are bigger then the entire vita... how is that not misleading?

Yes this is the resolution the vita is running the game at, actually, it's even worst then that since these screens clearly show the game is using subnative resolution, but when seen on an actual vita, since the pixel density is much bigger it gives it a super sampled look, making what you see actually much better.

Like I said, there is nothing stopping anyone viewing these on a Vita or similar sized screen to emulate the effect. These screens have no inherent size since that assumes everyone is viewing them on the same device which is what everyone complaining about 'size of the screens' in this topic is doing.

But even then it still looks like shit. The character models and textures are PS2 territory, if that. The downgrade from the console versions is brutal, and they should've either switched engine or worked on it longer.

BurntPork

Banned
... Are you sure that they didn't just leak a 3DS version?

Not what I was expecting. I really can't stand when developers put no effort into making a game look good at all. :/

Spiegel

I suspected and talked about this before but I think this is the best explanation of why there's no UE3 Vita games announced. Epic must have phoned-in the UE3 port (they are all high on iOS gaming) and it must be a mess trying to make anything look good.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Wow, game looks awful...but I don't know why you'd ever play MK over UMvC3 on any system.

Because MK is better. There.
--
On topic, I'm disappointed by the visuals too. It disappoints me even more that Warner Bros used the footage from the console MK when they announced this game.

VanWinkle

Major downgrade !

It hurts :p

I thought they used MT Framework on SFxT, which is an absolute beast of a cross-platform engine, but these devs must be pretty amazing anyway to get it looking that good on Vita with whatever engine they're using. It really shows a generational difference between MK and SFxT.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The character models in UMVC3 on Vita are actually downgraded from the console versions a lot more than they look at first glance. The difference is that the art style - smooth shading with inky shadow shader - hides it and makes them look really good.

It seems the differing strategies in porting the games was something like,

1. UMVC = port MT Framework directly, turn all effects and shaders on, then reduce geometry and animation (backgrounds) until the game hits 60fps

2. MKV = port the game detail for detail, including all animated effects, and evenly reduce the quality of everything in unison until it hits 60fps.

There will be some people who actually prefer MKV because it will look and feel more authentic in some ways, but it's true the Capcom port looks much, much better in still screen shots.

In the end, all of it is the price paid for launch window software and launch ports.

Edit: the usual "devs are lazy" remarks are getting tossed out, but given the amount of new content and tweaks to the game, I don't think you can call Boon and Co lazy here. This honestly seems like a technological issue. I'm willing to bet the thoughts about UE3 support are on the money.

Boogybro

Eitherway it looks awful, it's like they were doing it for PSP and just decided to do a quick port.

Things show up bigger on lower resolution monitors. Basically, your monitor sucks donkey nuts. :p

Nisa65

Guess I wont be picking up MK on Vita. It's such a shame as Vita is capable of much better than this shite,

It is in Vita resolution, but the game clearly runs at lower than native Vita resolution, hence the blurry and jaggy mess.

I meant post them at the actual size of the screen. On a smaller screen the jaggies aren't blown up as much.

I can't believe people still fucking post massive screens of games that will only be seen on small screens.

Warner Games, ladies and gentlemen.

The Vita port of Arkham City:

500full.jpg

Agent X

The screen isn't that large. If these images were converted to the actual size of the Vitas screen, they'd look a lot better.

I tried adjusting my Web browser to 50% zoom, which on my monitor makes the screens approximately the size that they would be on the Vita.

Then I had an even better idea--just bring up this thread on the Vita's own Web browser.

In both cases, the screens looked marginally better (compared to blown up large on the PC monitor), but they're still a noticeable downgrade from the consoles, and well below the standards most people expect from Vita games.

Spiegel

I meant post them at the actual size of the screen. On a smaller screen the jaggies aren't blown up as much.

I can't believe people still fucking post massive screens of games that will only be seen on small screens.

It is not like 960x544 is the fucking Vita resolution or something

Vita Games at native resolution can still look good

AHnuQ.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What the fuck is this?

God damn - I was considering the Futureshop trade 1 towards this game, but this is sub-PSP.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, it does run at 60fps on a handheld. So sacrifices had to be made. I'm sure it looks excellent in motion, and also when the images are the size of the Vita's screen.

Edit: At least the backgrounds are reasonably detailed. It looks like they just downgraded everything though...
Virtua Tennis 4 is full resolution at 60 fps with more detailed models (same as console). Heck, there are typically more on screen models at any one time than this as well.

What about Marvel vs Capcom 3? Nearly the same level of detail as the console game with multiple fighters appearing on screen at once at 60 fps and native resolution.

Clearly the issue here is simply that UE3 hasn't yet been optimized for the Vita and this team wasn't capable of really delivering. They had to sacrifice a whole hell of a lot in order to hit 60 fps. Too much, perhaps.

I suspected and talked about this before but I think this is the best explanation of why there's no UE3 Vita games announced. Epic must have phoned-in the UE3 port (they are all high on iOS gaming) and it must be a mess trying to make anything look good.
What's odd is that Vita's hardware is basically the same as iOS hardware (though faster and with direct access to hardware available). I can't see why UE3 would struggle on the platform.

Why the shock? It'd be silly for 3rd parties to put a lot of time and effor into a product that is selling very poorly. I'm sure if the sales pick up to respectable levels, so will the quality of ports.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but the Vita's screen isn't as big as the native resolution of the images. It has a higher pixel density. So, the image looks better on the screen.
Bad IQ is bad IQ. And yes, I own a Vita and sub-res game still look jarring. Also, MSAA should be very cheap. :/

I don't believe it is, though I'm no expert on the matter so maybe I should shut up before I make myself look stupid.

It is, the point being that the pixel density on everyone's monitors will be different from the Vita. If you have a super duper 2048x1980 monitor it'll be misleading as well, only for the oposite reason.

Oni Jazar

Why the shock? It'd be silly for 3rd parties to put a lot of time and effor into a product that is selling very poorly. I'm sure if the sales pick up to respectable levels, so will the quality of ports.

Think about what you said for one second. Do you believe they started on this game a few months ago?

V_Ben

Banned
Virtua Tennis 4 is full resolution at 60 fps with more detailed models (same as console). Heck, there are typically more on screen models at any one time than this as well.

What about Marvel vs Capcom 3? Nearly the same level of detail as the console game with multiple fighters appearing on screen at once at 60 fps and native resolution.

Clearly the issue here is simply that UE3 hasn't yet been optimized for the Vita and this team wasn't capable of really delivering. They had to sacrifice a whole hell of a lot in order to hit 60 fps. Too much, perhaps.

I meant to put UE3 in my post, but yeah, you're absolutely right. UE3 has trouble hitting 60fps on a home console, so I can only imagine the crazy times Netherealm had in trying to make a Vita game using UE3 run at 60.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait a sec, is there a transition in real time from the in-engine cutscenes of the console
MK to the lower-poly Vita version?
The cutscenes were never in-engine on consoles (they are Bink videos). They used those cutscenes to hide loading between areas and seamlessly move the story forward.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
What's odd is that Vita's hardware is basically the same as iOS hardware (though faster and with direct access to hardware available). I can't see why UE3 would struggle on the platform.

We still don't know what the CPU speed in the Vita is though do we?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The screen resolution arguments are missing the point with the downgrades; regardless of resolution, it's texture quality and effects (shaders) that are missing.

Now, just about every Vita game, even the cheap rushed ones, have little trouble showing off much of Vita's effects and texture abilities.

Folks don't seem to be taking into account who made the game; this was ported internally by Netherrealm, correct?

If so, again, this looks like a UE3 on Vita kit issue. i.e Vita UE3 is crap port, not MK itself.

It will be interesting to see if people challenge Boon on this and to hear what he says.

Game looks fine. But the screens are all people go by.

There is some irony here. How often do we hear "devs concentrate on nothing but making bullshots, then the game runs like crap!"

Portugeezer

That also depends on the dpi of your screen, so people can't really make a 5" screenshot which will be 5" on every monitor. Either way the graphics are piss poor and even stretched 3DS shots are almost comparable.

(3DS resolution in 3D would actually be 800x240, not 400x240, but screens I stretched were 400x240)

t6I9F.jpg

nM5D8.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Graphics comparisons: Direct-feed screens vs. 30 fps saturated, shaky webcam gameplay video. FIGHT!

Top Bottom