• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Why in the world does Mulvaney keep holding these press conferences? Since when is the OMB director supposed to be such a prolific, public spokesperson for the president?
When the president and the press secretary lack the communication skills to convey the most basic information to reporters, others in the administration have to step up. Unfortunately Mulvaney sucks too, but hey.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/waposean/status/859474140230713344
Sean Sullivan (@WaPoSean)
Schumer, seeming to want to get a rise out of POTUS, says Trump "did not play much of a role" in spending bill talks.
o-CHUCK-SCHUMER-TED-CRUZ-facebook.jpg

teiresias

Ryan and McConnell must be flabbergasted at Trump and now Mulvaney taking preemptive ownership over a shutdown.

Worse yet, now they have to contend with the very real possibility that the WH would actively veto a budget in September. In that scenario what do they even do? Give the Dems even more wins in the budget so they get a veto-proof bipartisan number of votes in both chambers? Seems like one of their only options if they can't count on their own party's President to sign something negotiated in good faith in the Congress.

Ok so just watching it now and seeing Mulvaney showing off this "wall" with holes in it is hilarious in and of itself, but then someone asks, "Did the money you get allow for this to be built all along the border?"

"Well no uhhh it will be a multi-year process"

Exquisite. Can't even guarantee the shit replacement for the wall.

tbm24

It's hilarious watching reporters after Hillary's interview, so much to say she sounds like a woman scorned instead of a losing candidate in reflection. I genuinely don't know what people expect her to say or even want her to say. They are latching on to her saying she blames Comey and Russians me skipping over the multiple times she blamed herself as well.

PBY

Banned
It's hilarious watching reporters after Hillary's interview, so much to say she sounds like a woman scorned instead of a losing candidate in reflection. I genuinely don't know what people expect her to say or even want her to say. They are latching on to her saying she blames Comey and Russians me skipping over the multiple times she blamed herself as well.
JUST. GO. AWAY.

That's what she should do.

I feel for HRC but she really should just stay out of it. There's nothing she can say that the media won't spin as bitter or in denial and the opposition to Trump doesn't need this kind of distraction.

Vixdean

I know it's been the case, but I feel this is literally the best evidence of just rolling something back because Obama did it. I mean, I literally can't think of anyone who'd be against this.

Kids are against it! Instead of square pieces of bread smothered in a melted cheese like substance, they get broccoli instead. The horror!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I know it's been the case, but I feel this is literally the best evidence of just rolling something back because Obama did it. I mean, I literally can't think of anyone who'd be against this.
The move was applauded by the School Nutrition Association (SNA), a group led by school cafeteria and nutrition employees and heavily funded by the food industry.

In recent years, the SNA has gone public with internal spats over the school nutrition standards. Some of its members called for schools to largely abandon the standards, including the requirement to serve fruits and vegetables with every meal. Other members strongly objected.

Marion Nestle, a nutrition and public health expert at New York University, said the organization’s position papers show that SNA “now fully represents the interests of its corporate food industry donors.”
Gotta appease the food industry that wants to keep selling high-sodium products to schools.

Slacker

JUST. GO. AWAY.

That's what she should do.

She can do interviews when she likes.

I don't understand the GO AWAY HILLARY crowd. She was an imperfect candidate and obviously made some significant mistakes, but she's still one of the most well-known people in the world and is a passionate and articulate advocate for causes we care about. Let her speak. I mean, this nonsense here:

The opposition to Trump doesn't need this kind of distraction.
Clinton saying words on TV are going to hurt the resistance? Someone is going to stop speaking out for progressive issues because a former presidential candidate said something on TV? Is this part of that purity test horseshit?

Hey, remember when Al Gore kept his mouth shut and didn't become a major proponent for global warming and other environmental issues?

Or remember when Kerry faded into obscurity and didn't become an excellent, highly skilled, successful Secretary of State?

Yea, I don't remember those either because they didn't happen and those losing candidates didn't just go away forever. They picked up from their losses and went on to do other things.

Stacey Abrams is gonna do the damn thing.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/02/georgia-2018-abrams-files-paperwork-to-run-for-governor/

House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams filed paperwork Tuesday to run for governor, marking the first step toward an expected bid for the state's highest office.

Abrams would become the highest-profile Democrat in the race to succeed Gov. Nathan Deal and her campaign would seek to capitalize on the same angst over Donald Trump that is propelling Jon Ossoff in Georgia's 6th District race.

Although her aides said the filing kicks off an exploration phase, Abrams is all but certain to run for higher office. She has hired staffers and crisscrossed the state readying for an announcement.

Several of her constituents are sure she's running: One has already announced a bid for her state House seat and others could soon jump in.

The 43-year-old would instantly become the Democratic frontrunner in a wide-open race to replace Deal. Three Republicans are already in the race, including Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle and Secretary of State Brian Kemp, and about a half-dozen others are considering a bid.

A graduate of Yale Law School, Abrams has represented an Atlanta-based district in the Georgia House since her 2006 victory and in 2011 was elected her party's leader in the House.

She's built a national profile as a leading voice for the party in the South, and she's raised millions of dollars for Democratic causes. Should she run, she's also aiming for the history books: She would be the first African-American governor in Georgia – and the first black female statewide officeholder in the state's history.

Remember:

She also has another claim to fame: She's a prolific author of romance novels under the pen name Selena Montgomery, and she wrote her first book while in her third year at Yale Law. She's been known to insert characters from the Georgia political scene into her work.

Slacker

Hey, remember when Al Gore kept his mouth shut and didn't become a major proponent for global warming and other environmental issues?

Or remember when Kerry faded into obscurity and didn't become an excellent, highly skilled, successful Secretary of State?

Yea, I don't remember those either because they didn't happen and those losing candidates didn't just go away forever. They picked up form their losses and went on to do other things.
Liberals are certainly blazing a new trail lately. The first female major party presidential candidate needs to also be the first candidate to shut up and go away after losing. And the first black former president needs to be the first one to not get paid for appearances after leaving office.

Holmes

Clinton should continue living her life, giving interviews and doing whatever the hell she wants just to piss off PBY.

Yea, I don't remember those either because they didn't happen and those losing candidates didn't just go away forever. They picked up from their losses and went on to do other things.

An Inconvenient Truth came out over five years after the 2000 election. Kerry didn't become SoS until eight years after 2004. Why is it so controversial to say that right now both liberals and leftists are both highly motivated and Clinton isn't helping any of that?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Beware romance novelists in politics. Louise Mensch is a testament to their ability.

GutsOfThor

If the opposition to Trump gets distracted by the 2016 dem presidential candidate showing her face then it is doomed. Just pack it up now.

I was about to say the same thing. No need to get hopes up about next year or in 2020 if all it takes to distract the left is Clinton popping up here and there. Just throw the towel in right now and avoid the trouble altogether.

I think whenever she gets coverage on the topic it reopens fairly new wounds. The election was not even a year ago. I think her thoughts on the topic will get much different coverage eight years from now. Also, I would say Hilary isn't really associated with any particular goal or issue being forwarded at the moment. When she gets covered these days it's usually about her loss. I think if she choose to focus on something specific and doesn't bring up or answer questions about the election, coverage on her will slowly but eventually change. Things are still very foreign with Trump in the WH and people will have a hard time separating her loss at least for the next couple years. I do however think she has a lot of power and influence and can be very effective in the future for creating positive change. I think she should stay away from election discussion of any kind for the foreseeable future however.

kirblar

"I don't want a new leader. I just want to hate Hillary" seems to describe what we're seeing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, she did win.

She also quit after 2 years because she couldn't hack it, and handed her (rather marginal seat) to Labour with a stonking great majority. It's what you want Trump's career path to sound like, not someone on your own side!

She also quit after 2 years because she couldn't hack it, and handed her (rather marginal seat) to Labour with a stonking great majority. It's what you want Trump's career path to sound like, not someone on your own side!

I want someone to veto a Georgia gerrymander in 2020.

Yep, reporters on twitter including maggie haberman are stepping over themselves because Hillary did not fully own her election loss. They want her to stop at that and not comment further. It doesn't work like that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I want someone to veto a Georgia gerrymander in 2020.

(I was joking. I'm pretty sure being a former romance novelist is at best a very weak predictor of your future political career. It's just fun to mock Mensch.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom