• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya annoyed on twitter, tells fanboy to use his own brain

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Why what happened?

This....heinous woman suggested that *gasp* maybe Beck COULD be female. Justice ensued. I mean Beck a fe-male? What the fuck, don't mess with the deep and established Might No. 9 lore, lady! This isn't Cooking Mama amiright lol?

JackelZXA

Girl version of Beck is and was a good idea, personally though I thought that drawing she did was crap. Looked too much like Miss Frizz from Magic School Bus wearing power armor for chibi robos.

Walpurgis

Banned
Disrespectful.

That's pretty unprofessional/dumb.

He's been there since the begining, and there's only a couple mega man games that he hasn't contributed to.

I think Kamiya is just butt hurt his games don't make any money.
Inafune at TGS 2009
"Personally when I looked around [at] all the different games at the TGS floor, I said, 'Man, Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished.'"

Inafune at TGS 2010
“I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind,” said Keiji Inafune, 45, head of global research and development at Capcom and one of Japan’s most prominent game designers.

“Capcom is barely keeping up,” he said in an interview at the show, which ended Sunday. “I want to study how Westerners live, and make games that appeal to them.”
1. He thinks he's Kojima or something. His games aren't nearly good enough for him to be making sweeping statements like that.
2. I wonder what happened to his obsession with the west. Not paying as well as he thought it would?

Inafune at TGS 2012
The former Capcom R&D head said that he has the same feeling as every other attendant in the show floor about the relevance of TGS 2012 during an Asia group interview session for Soul Sacrifice on September 21. "There's nothing brand new here in TGS 2012; there's just too many sequels.

He continues: "It's a huge challenge to bring out new IPs in the gaming landscape here. With Soul Sacrifice and our partnership with Sony, this may bring in new obstacles to overcome, but we like new and good challenges. Hopefully other publishers can take on that spirit more."
Soul Sacrifice is a Monster Hunter clone.
Mighty No. 9 is a Mega Man clone.
Red Ash is a Mega Man Legends clone.

The unearned arrogance of this man along with his sad hypocrisy is astonishing. At least Kamiya has something to be arrogant about.

ArjanN

He just called it "a rip off of Final Fight", three years ago.

Again, considering how much Kamiya is a defender for Capcom/his old home, he probably has a lot of respect for the staff who made Final Fight.

Well, let's be real, it clearly was a Final Fight clone.

Still good though.

1. He thinks he's Kojima or something. His games aren't nearly good enough for him to be making sweeping statements like that.

The quality of his own games is irrelevant to his statement about the Japanese game industry and doesn't make it any less true, unless you really like playing games on your phone.

Walpurgis

Banned
The quality of his own games is irrelevant to his statement about the Japanese game industry and doesn't make it any less true, unless you really like playing games on your phone.
It is relevant when all he does is complain about how other developers suck when he sucks himself. He should talk less of others and focus more on himself.

I do agree that the Japanese game industry declined last gen but his statements are hyperbole. Sure there are plenty of low-tier devs like him but we still have Square Enix, Nintendo, SCEJ, Atlus, Fromsoftware, PlatinumGames, etc.

It is relevant when all he does is complain about how other developers suck when he sucks himself. He should talk less of others and focus more on himself.

I do agree that the Japanese game industry declined last gen but his statements are hyperbole. Sure there are plenty of low-tier devs like him but we still have Square Enix, Nintendo, SCEJ, Atlus, Fromsoftware, PlatinumGames, etc.

But we had so much more back in the day, and now they are making cell phone games

We lost FUCKing KONAMI and Capcom hasn't released anything recently other than an updated version of Street fighter (a port no less)

It's definitely on life support considering were they started

Cheerilee

wow

ZHhOpWo.png

dW2vEOk.png
I disagree. Mega Man is Inafune's creation and he should continue his own series in the best possible way, with or without Capcom. The name "Rockman"/"Mega Man" or "Mighty No.9" is irrelevant. It's exactly what Mega Man fans wanted, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I'm not a fan of Mega Man personally, but you could say the same about Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained.

Change the words "insult" to "fuck you" and "old home" to "Capcom".

Q: What are your thoughts on Mighty No 9?
A: It's a "fuck you" to Capcom.

Q: Because it's similar to Rockman?
A: Similar? It's exactly the same.

Kamiya is right, and most of Mighty No 9's supporters would agree. The only disagreement comes in when people infer that he's saying that one shouldn't insult their old home, but even if he was saying that, he's uniquely qualified to say it, and has a right to his opinion.

Wasn't Inafune the one responsible for disbanding Clover, too?
IIRC, when Mikami first got in trouble over RE4 (soon followed by the Capcom problems that gave birth/death to Clover), Ben Judd was on GameFAQs, and someone asked him what Inafune thought of the Mikami situation, and he said that Mikami brought it on himself. Mikami made a bold statement by supporting Nintendo, and then he slipped up and went over budget. If you make a bold statement, you have to make sure you're untouchable until the heat dies down. Mikami should've done like Inafune and just kept his head down and not made eye contact with anyone.

Inafune later drew fire for complaining that this kind of Japanese corporate culture was toxic and it blocked people from talking risks, and it forced them to drink heavily and kill their dreams for stuff like Megaman Legends 3.

I don't think Inafune was responsible for the system which ruined Capcom, I think he just used his good business sense to survive it longer than the Platinum guys did.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looking through his timeline, not so many idiots. Though he learned that various places censored Viewtiful Joe's handsign and he's not happy about that.

So yeah it's more likely Gamescom related.

Neff

I wonder what happened to his obsession with the west. Not paying as well as he thought it would?

Dead Rising and the first Lost Planet aside, every one of Inafune's attempts to placate Western tastes- Dark Void, Lost Planet 2, Bionic Commando '09, and Yaiba- was a commercial and critical failure. He made a big thing about Western markets being the future, and in a way he was right, but he didn't have the the talent backing him up, and to be honest I think he underestimated how demanding audiences outside Japan can be. I'm not at all surprised he's given up on his goal.

Regarding Inafune vs Kamiya, Inafune is a relatively shrewd manager with a good eye for the Japanese market (when he cares about it) and is a talented character designer, but that's all. He's left a trail of mediocre games equal in volume to his hits. Kamiya on the other hand is an exceptionally talented director/planner whose batting average is pretty much faultless, and he's always had A-list Japanese games development backing him up. He was thrown in the deep end yet proved himself with Resident Evil, faltered with 1.5, redeemed himself ably with Resident Evil 2, and he's barely put a foot wrong since. He might not always get the sales, but he gets the praise from fans and critics alike, and deservedly so.

What is this thread about now? People of the industry that mock fans?

Or just people of the industry who speak their mind. Folks can be obnoxious and it's refreshing that someone keeps it really nowadays. Really not a fan of how everyone acts like the world should be all crimson and clovers and everyone should behave in a certain manner.

tbd

What is this thread about now? People of the industry that mock fans?

Guy who made and makes some of the best games ever taunting shitposters with broken English and an avatar that makes everything he writes seem incredibly cute.

And sometimes an interesting information/opinion.

It has to do with MS.
He deleted his tweet but this is the tweet he made in Japanese.

MSのクソどもはよー…俺をナメてんのか…?
— 神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya (@PG_kamiya) 2015, 7月 29

Rough translation.
"Those shits at MS... are they fucking with me...?"

moered6

Banned
It has to do with MS.

MSのクソどもはよー…俺をナメてんのか…?

Rough translation.

not very smart, once its on the web, it stays there

this going to get its own thread, it blows up, Microsoft response or Kamiya says its fake

Probably unhappy that Scalebound will likely have a tiny bit of stage presence, that ends with Kamiya walking on, giving a thumbs up without being able to promote or say anything insightful about the game, then is forced to walk off.

Either way, we'll see at Gamescom.

That's... intriguing. I hope he has the audacity to eventually state what he means, assuming we won't be able to figure it out on our own. Gamescom should be interesting, though realistically trying to infer what Kamiya isn't pleased about could be tough if it's something behind the scenes, irrelevant to onlookers, or exaggerated by him.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I doubt it has anything to do with the game; he probably just wanted to present/demo the game a certain way but they already had their own plans they expect him to stick to.

moered6

Banned
Probably unhappy that Scalebound will likely have a tiny bit of stage presence, that ends with Kamiya walking on, giving a thumbs up without being able to promote or say anything insightful about the game, then is forced to walk off.

Either way, we'll see at Gamescom.

doubt it, its Microsoft own game. probably has more to do with his portion when presenting the game, kind of like at E3

Walpurgis

Banned
not very smart, once its on the web, it stays there

this going to get its own thread, it blows up, Microsoft response or Kamiya says its fake

Kamiya is well known for being outspoken and Microsoft needs him much more than he needs them. I remember him expressing concern over Nintendo's marketing for The Wonderful 101 shortly before launch. This might be like that + experience.

I doubt anything will come of it. Kamiya just probably gave that Inaba fellow a heart attack.

Subaru

Inafune at TGS 2009

Inafune at TGS 2010

2. I wonder what happened to his obsession with the west. Not paying as well as he thought it would?

Inafune at TGS 2012

Soul Sacrifice is a Monster Hunter clone.
Mighty No. 9 is a Mega Man clone.
Red Ash is a Mega Man Legends clone.

The unearned arrogance of this man along with his sad hypocrisy is astonishing. At least Kamiya has something to be arrogant about.

Perfect!

moered6

Banned
Kamiya is well known for being outspoken and Microsoft needs him much more than he needs them. I remember him expressing concern over Nintendo's marketing for The Wonderful 101 shortly before launch. This might be like that + experience.

I doubt anything will come of it. Kamiya just probably gave that Inaba fellow a heart attack.

some boss level of confidence dam, kind of wish some devs in the west were like this

bon

It has to do with MS.

MSのクソどもはよー…俺をナメてんのか…?

Rough translation.

Woah. What could MS be up to?

BBboy20

Dead Rising and the first Lost Planet aside, every one of Inafune's attempts to placate Western tastes- Dark Void, Lost Planet 2, Bionic Commando '09, and Yaiba- was a commercial and critical failure. He made a big thing about Western markets being the future, and in a way he was right, but he didn't have the the talent backing him up, and to be honest I think he underestimated how demanding audiences outside Japan can be. I'm not at all surprised he's given up on his goal.

Regarding Inafune vs Kamiya, Inafune is a relatively shrewd manager with a good eye for the Japanese market (when he cares about it) and is a talented character designer, but that's all. He's left a trail of mediocre games equal in volume to his hits. Kamiya on the other hand is an exceptionally talented director/planner whose batting average is pretty much faultless, and he's always had A-list Japanese games development backing him up. He was thrown in the deep end yet proved himself with Resident Evil, faltered with 1.5, redeemed himself ably with Resident Evil 2, and he's barely put a foot wrong since. He might not always get the sales, but he gets the praise from fans and critics alike, and deservedly so.
tl;dr: Kamiya makes nothing but Hall of Fame games. :p

doubt it, its Microsoft own game. probably has more to do with his portion when presenting the game, kind of like at E3
Being the director of Resident Evil 2 alone would be a big fucking deal and yet he's introduced like another name. I'm still sour how W101 was revealed on that E3.

Mechazawa

Being the director of Resident Evil 2 alone would be a big fucking deal and yet he's introduced like another name. I'm still sour how W101 was revealed on that E3.

What in the world are you talking about.

If those tweets are real, it likely has nothing to do with Kamiya's ego not being satiated. If anything, Microsoft probably wants him doing something he's not comfortable doing. Dude wasn't exactly brimming with charisma on stage at E3.

Top Bottom