• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited stealth released on the EU Wii U eShop?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just discovered this. It's not on the main eShop menu, but if you search for "Scribblenauts", the game appears available to download for £49.99, here in the UK.

Thanks to liger05 who alerted me to this in another thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Read thread title, rushed inside to see the details. LOL £50

I have money on the eshop waiting for pikmin 3. It's staying there at this rate.

Robin64

I did post about this in both the February Downloads and OT as it went up, but nobody seemed interested. :\

Certainly at midnight in Europe it went up for €59.99 and then at midnight in the UK it went up for £49.99. It weighed in at 1410mb and took about an hour to download/install.

My guess is that was an automatic system and if it's not there now, someone realised and took it down.
OR
It's still there now (search for it, don't expect a Nintendo banner) and the problem with retail copies was the packaging. Legal stuff perhaps.

Haunted

Console prices? It's not like it's the first time it happens.
Absolutely terrible.

Whoever is making those prices on the eshop is acting as if all the disdain for Xbox Games on Demand and the unbelievable success of Steam never happened.

There's got to be a limit to wilful ignorance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£22.99 on Steam, with workshop support, releases next week.

I mean, what the hell is going on here.

PC versions are often cheaper?

Isn't this Nintendo published in Europe? I'd have thought they'd not take the piss as much as some third parties are with DD pricing.

I'd like to buy the PC version but I think the WiiU version would be better for my kids to enjoy sharing on the TV. Not at that price though. Retail will surely drop pretty fast.

Haunted

PC versions are often cheaper?

Isn't this Nintendo published in Europe? I'd have thought they'd not take the piss as much as some third parties are with DD pricing.

I'd like to buy the PC version but I think the WiiU version would be better for my kids to enjoy sharing on the TV. Not at that price though. Retail will surely drop pretty fast.
But not 60% cheaper on launch day without special promotions.

That really is just taking the piss.

Daedardus

Absolutely terrible.

Whoever is making those prices on the eshop is acting as if all the disdain for Xbox Games on Demand and the unbelievable success of Steam never happened.

There's got to be a limit to wilful ignorance.

You forget though that new releases of big titles on Steam are usually more expensive than their in store equivalent. It's only in permanent discounts and sales (especially the sales) that Steam excels.

Haunted

You forget though that new releases of big titles on Steam are usually more expensive than their in store equivalent. It's only in permanent discounts and sales (especially the sales) that Steam excels.
Yes, that's what I always say. But then something like this comes along - launch day, no discount, 55% cheaper than eshop.

It was $7.50 on Amazon around Xmas.
Bought it for $7.50 during the Amazon sale.
goddamn

SparkTR

It was $7.50 on Amazon around Xmas.

That's what I paid, it was an amazing deal. But the game definitely isn't worth the price Nintendo is asking for, hell I'd argue that it isn't worth the price Steam is asking for. I finished it in 9 hours and the puzzles were way more mindless than the previous games. The art/music/tone of the game was great, though.

Robin64

Well the notion was that Nintendo would put the games up on eShop for purchase directly at the full RRP as to not upset retailers. Then they would issue download cards to those retailers, which the retailer could sell at a price they set. A customer would just have to purchase one of those and get the game digitally, but cheaper.

The card system, however, has only come out in Japan. It's stupid.

beje

Banned
Well the notion was that Nintendo would put the games up on eShop for purchase directly at the full RRP as to not upset retailers. Then they would issue download cards to those retailers, which the retailer could sell at a price they set. A customer would just have to purchase one of those and get the game digitally, but cheaper.

The card system, however, has only come out in Japan. It's stupid.

I was linked to an european online retailer last week that sold 3DS game codes directly (probably scratched from the cards themselves or generated with a coupon machine?) so I guess the system is slowly coming over here.

Daedardus

Yes, that's what I always say. But then something like this comes along - launch day, no discount, 55% cheaper than eshop.

I know what you mean. I think ZombiU costs €70 on the eShop here. Even stores sell the game for only €60 and I still think that's a rip off. Where are my €50 games?

Robin64

I know what you mean. I think ZombiU costs €70 on the eShop here. Even stores sell the game for only €60 and I still think that's a rip off. Where are my €50 games?

You're going to love the price of next-gen games as the cost skyrockets. ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Standard edition console games in the UK are ~35-40 pounds. 50 pounds is abnormally excessive, especially for a digital title.

not really for WiiU titles. next gen console, try to keep original RRP as long as possible. PS3/360 are only £40 because of discounting by retailers, RRP on digital is often £50 (or more - £57.99 for some EA games on PSN)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
not really for WiiU titles.

I'll concede 50 pounds may be relatively reasonable for digital titles (which is patently ridiculous, as I'm sure you'll agree) but it's still excessive overall. As an example, of Game's Wii U selection, only a few hit that mark, and they're all pre-orders, so I can only assume that the company is taking advantage of there being no official pricing just yet.

liger05

I'll never embrace digital downloads on consoles until the pricing is fixed. £49.99 for games is just insane.

MrT-Tar

When I mentioned last year that I hoped Nintendo's online strategy would be like that of PSN, overpriced downloads of retail games isn't what I was thinking of...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone actually get and played it? This is weird.

moozoom

Just searched it on the French e-shop, and it's nowhere to be found.

I really wanted to buy this today... but maybe the game is really buggy and it's better to not mess around with it for the few people who could download it.

"My Wii U was bricked by Scribblenauts" thread incoming.

If it's just a packaging problem, they could have released it online first.

moozoom

Grrrr... If the e-shop game is working correctly and the problem comes only from the disc version, I'm reaaally angry that they didn't let us download it. it's like they don't want to sell games on Wii U anymore... I wanted to buy Fist of the North Star too, and I'm forced to wait till midnight to buy it ?

I'm 40, I'm not afraid of manga blood splatters, and this is my only day off from work in the week, so let me buy games !

Robin64

I wonder if the version I have will be patched or if I will always have the "banned" version until I redownload. Hmm.
Finding out what's wrong with it could be nearly impossible, mind.

King_Moc

Banned
On an entirely unrelated note, i wonder why the Wii U isn't selling?

The pricing that I've seen for games on this thing is utterly disgraceful.

moozoom

I wonder if the version I have will be patched or if I will always have the "banned" version until I redownload. Hmm.
Finding out what's wrong with it could be nearly impossible, mind.

I hope you'll be able to play without problems, it would suck to find what wrong if it costs you a hardlocked Wii U. I'm pretty sure it's probably a translation problem though.

JoeM86

I've spent the last few hours on it. No glitches, no freezes. Noticing some words are missing though, like wine and beer, but that may be intentional. I'd have to ask a player with the US, AU or PC versions

So it's just silently delayed? It's just gone from the web-page of the store I was going to get it from.

It wasn't silent, they announced the delay on Monday

On an entirely unrelated note, i wonder why the Wii U isn't selling?

The pricing that I've seen for games on this thing is utterly disgraceful.

RRP for games on the Wii U is no different than on the 360 or PS3 so I fail to see why it's an issue for the Wii U.

The reason games cost RRP on the eShop is due to retailers. They have a policy that means that if publishers try to undercut the RRP on digital distribution means, they will stop stocking the publisher's merchandise, including consoles.

Grrrr... If the e-shop game is working correctly and the problem comes only from the disc version, I'm reaaally angry that they didn't let us download it. it's like they don't want to sell games on Wii U anymore... I wanted to buy Fist of the North Star too, and I'm forced to wait till midnight to buy it ?

I'm 40, I'm not afraid of manga blood splatters, and this is my only day off from work in the week, so let me buy games !

Unfortunately, the time restrictions are forced by German law and, as Nintendo operates the eShop business in Europe from their HQ in Germany, they have to follow it.

Top Bottom