• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"By numbers, StarCraft is bigger than the NHL" - Blizzard CEO

IcedTea

Yes. A single tournament stream is probably going to get more views than a given sports game. With sports, you can get quite a few games on at or near the same time, each one with their own viewers. Try putting 10 different Starcraft matches on 10 different streams, then compare the numbers.

border

I assume he means that they have more concurrent viewers for a single tournament than for all the NHL games airing in a day?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yes. A single tournament stream is probably going to get more views than a given sports game. With sports, you can get quite a few games on at or near the same time, each one with their own viewers. Try putting 10 different Starcraft matches on 10 different streams, then compare the numbers.

Twitch probably has 12-15 other streams going when the major tournaments are going down.

Still don't understand "e-sports" but the popularity is undeniable.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hockey deserves way more love than it gets. It's a real shame to see such a great sport become so marginalized and ignored.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
63cHKHk.jpg

SupaNaab

As a Canadian, this is definitely not the case here. Hockey is insane here. I recall back in highschool having numerous teachers play the radio broadcasts of in-progress hockey games provided we were quiet. I know hockey isn't as popular in the US but it seems so alien when you're living here.

As a Canadian, this is definitely not the case here. Hockey is insane here. I recall back in highschool having numerous teachers play the radio broadcasts of in-progress hockey games provided we were quiet. I know hockey isn't as popular in the US but it seems so alien when you're living here.

As a Canadian I never found that to be the case. Maybe its more popular where you live but honestly I have met just as many football (NFL) fans as I have met hockey fans. In fact, probably more NFL fans.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The NHL is barely considered a major sport in the US anymore. That's how far they've fallen. Major League Soccer is close to overtaking them in popularity...soccer.

I'm pretty certain MLS isn't actually close to overtaking it. You're thinking of attendance numbers but it's not really comparable as the biggest hockey arena holds ~22,000 people, and ticket prices are higher on average.

As someone living in the UK, NHL is very difficult to watch live because it's on at like 1-3 am. The one channel that does actual broadcast NHL is Premier Sports, which hogs all the Stanley Cup games. That's before spending £80 NHL Gamecenter (which can't guarantee that you can watch all games) local broadcasts, national broadcasts, CBS games, etc, etc.

I want to watch Starcraft II matches? Twitch. browse. Starcraft II.

ShaneB

Can I see these numbers? Is Starcraft a multi billion dollar a year industry? The question is asked in a way that it seems like it's based on viewership? I'm so confused. I have no doubt that Starcraft is big, but I'd like some context on these "numbers". If he means that people watching MLG are bigger than NHL Hockey Game X, than sure.

Top Bottom