• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon PC DD: Dark Souls - Prepare to Die will be $20 starting Sunday (10/28)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ($20 Is LIVE, deal ends on SATURDAY (or Friday? reported on CAG) or until keys are out)

ACTIVATES ON STEAM

Use a random US address if you're outside of the US to purchase, but beware that it may not register on Steam without VPN depending on your region. Research/ask first if you're outside of the US

Creating this thread a little early cause the DLC just came out on consoles which is friggin $15 but Amazon will offer Prepare To Die for only $20 this upcoming Sunday. $5 more to have the entire game plus the DLC content.

TWENTY US DOLLARS

The game also looks awesome thanks to the Durante mod, which is easy as hell to install.
The mod can also make the game run at 60 FPS, assuming you have the power to run it

Durante Mod discussion and fix (unlocks resolution + 60 FPS):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Other mods: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/

unmodded:
data2012-08-2401-28-0xepj9.png

1080p:
data2012-08-2401-24-0c4qnh.png

Even the man himself says it's great:

You should buy this game. It really is as good as people say it is.

playeda8zgq.png

That's around 100 hours more than anything else released this year. Also, I played atleast half of that in co-op. Probably 3/4.

That's just $5 more expensive than the DLC on consoles.

Still, though, the online community on the PC is pretty skimpy compared to that of consoles. I can't super heartily recommend the PC version for that reason alone, as the online portion is such a huge part of the game IMO.

EDIT: Derp. You JUST said it was $5 more on the OP <_<

Toki767

I want it, but I just can't in good conscience give From Software my money for not taking an extra 30 minutes to do what Durante did.

Sullichin

I was hoping it would be this Sunday.

What does the extra $5 gets you?

Nothing "extra", there's only one version of the game on PC, and it has the DLC that just released on consoles (the DLC on consoles alone is $15). The game+DLC is normally $40 on PC.

Codeblue

Nothing "extra", there's only one version of the game on PC, and it has the DLC that just released on consoles (the DLC on consoles alone is $15). The game+DLC is normally $40 on PC.

Terrible, but getting a wired 360 controller has all sorts of benefits.

The entire rest of the game.

The game, he is referring to that the DLC on the console is $15, for $20 you can have the entire game on the PC.

Oh, cool. Thanks guys.

Deadstar

The game was designed with 30 fps in mind so it actually isn't bad at all. It feels super smooth on pc and looks incredible with the durante mod.

leng jai

Via a mod, you can make it 60 FPS. But it disables GFWL. (unless they changed it, I haven't been following recently)

Is that the Durante mod or a different one? Pretty tempted now since my biggest complaint about the console was the horrifying frame rate.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is that the Durante mod or a different one? Pretty tempted now since my biggest complaint about the console was the horrifying frame rate.

I think it's a different mod...I've been out of the loop....if someone can give me the info or link me, I'll put it in the OP.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Durante's mod has a 60fps option built-in now. It was separate before. There is a (almost non-existent) chance you can get banned from Live for using the 60fps fix though.

Hypron

Has anyone find out yet if this game will run on any CPU clocked under 3GHz?

It runs on my Core 2 Q6700 @ 2.7 Ghz (and HD6770), although the framerate suffers in a few areas (not as bad as on consoles but it's still pretty bad).

Edit: Although, I haven't played since DSfix 0.8 was released, so maybe now the game will run better. I'll give it a try soon. Maybe by using the fps unlocker and limiting the framerate at 30?

RoadDogg

@!#%!@$@! I had just over $20 in my budget for digital pc games when the Square bundle hit and now I can't get this instead :( I would totally have played this more. Can't Amazon think about my personal needs and give a 12 month roadmap of all their digital deals so I can plan ahead?

I want it, but I just can't in good conscience give From Software my money for not taking an extra 30 minutes to do what Durante did.

"I did not do the entire work for this in 23 minutes. I developed an interception dll framework during this week to prepare for the job. I did the actual work to make the game render at higher res in that amount of time though -- based on the framework -- and spent a few more hours testing and adding the config file."

From the original thread. He was working on a program previously and then applied it to Dark Souls, he didn't actually bust into the Dark Souls code and fix the resolution in 30 minutes flat.

pa22word

I bought this 5 times @ full price for myself and several friends. I regret nothing.

Speaking of gifted games, it's been the most played gifted game I've ever done. +/- 156 total hours of Dark Souls have been played from gifted copies I've given out. People sure do love their Dark Souls :p

I think the mod that is mentioned does still have a few weird things though, trouble with ladders, adjusted jump distance, but I never tried it myself.

was reading the notes for most recent dsfix and you can press a key to temporarily disable the FPS unlocker for ladders, jumps etc.

Haven't tried it though, 30fps is enough for my little laptop

Top Bottom