• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Gamestop employee discount?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
15% discount on all games/accessories. Stacks only with edge card.

No discount on systems.

VegaShinra

AniHawk said:
I last worked there in March 08.
Yeah, you're right. Used hardware is discounted with your discount. I bought the 360 HD-DVD player used and I got the discount. I also bought a PS3 used for a friend and got the discount.

-PXG-

ZealousD said:
15% discount on all games/accessories. Stacks only with edge card.

No discount on systems.

Yep. But it works with used systems though. They also have "employee appreciation weekends" (like twice a year :/) which doubles our discount to 30%. We don't even know about B2G1s until the day before they happen. They're pretty strict about that. In fact, GS has installed all sorts of new, and strict policies lately......

I work there, mainly because I need something to keep me occupied before I go back to college in the Fall. It's not that bad working there, but I'll be happy when I'm done.

ZealousD

VegaShinra said:
Yeah, you're right. Used hardware is discounted with your discount. I bought the 360 HD-DVD player used and I got the discount. I also bought a PS3 used for a friend and got the discount.

HD-DVD player would be considered an accessory, which would have been discounted whether new or used.

ZealousD

-PXG- said:
Yep. But it works with used systems though. They also have "employee appreciation weekends" (like twice a year :/) which doubles our discount to 30%.

Last time this happened was during a B2G1 free sale. I was not amused.

Yagharek

outunderthestars said:
What type of discount do employees get on used systems?

Not as much of a saving as you could get by getting a better job. The last thing you should do is work at GS/EB if you are doing it just for a discount.

If the job is convenient for you, or if you need a job, or if you enjoy retail, then do it. But dont do it just for the discount.

RandomVince said:
Not as much of a saving as you could get by getting a better job. The last thing you should do is work at GS/EB if you are doing it just for a discount.

If the job is convenient for you, or if you need a job, or if you enjoy retail, then do it. But dont do it just for the discount.

I was actually thinking about doing a discount swap with someone who is a manager at gamestop. He wants a cheap BMX bike, and I was going to swap him for a used ps3. But his discount isn't enough to make it worthwhile. :)

Yagharek

outunderthestars said:
I was actually thinking about doing a discount swap with someone who is a manager at gamestop. He wants a cheap BMX bike, and I was going to swap him for a used ps3. But his discount isn't enough to make it worthwhile. :)

Yeah, it depends I guess. Usually other chain stores do better special discounts than the GS/EB employee discount in the first place. It's a feasible idea if you have specific games or hardware in mind, but worth investigating for sure.

VegaShinra

ZealousD said:
HD-DVD player would be considered an accessory, which would have been discounted whether new or used.
When I worked there they wouldn't give me the discount when it was new. Only used.

Coins

Banned
You also get a 30% discount at Barnes and Nobles on anything in the store which also includes Blu-Ray and DVDs. Thats fucking kickass.

ZealousD

VegaShinra said:
When I worked there they wouldn't give me the discount when it was new. Only used.

Weird. I got a discount for a new hard drive.

Coins said:
You also get a 30% discount at Barnes and Nobles on anything in the store which also includes Blu-Ray and DVDs. Thats fucking kickass.

So you get it for the same price as you would if you bought it at amazon?

ZealousD

Coins said:

Also works in the cafe.

My local B&N sells cheesecakes from Cheesecake Factory.

Not as bad as Macy's 20% "You have to charge it on a Macy's credit card or you don't get shit" discount.

Or Target's 10% "Barely covers sales tax" discount.

Fuck I'm glad I'm out of those places.

Top Bottom