• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I remember seeing this for PS1 and laughing at it, from the cover to the actual game.

Pretty disappointed with this release but oh well, good things will come :)

On GOG.com's Twitter:

"We're bringing you guys a surprise new publisher tomorrow, creator of a classic strategy series! Who do you think it will be?"

EDIT: Facebook says "We're bringing you guys a new publisher tomorrow! Creators of one of the most action-packed turn based strategy series on PC, we will bring four great games from this publisher in the next few weeks. Who do you think it's going to be?"

wazoo

On GOG.com's Twitter:

"We're bringing you guys a surprise new publisher tomorrow, creator of a classic strategy series! Who do you think it will be?"

Argh, probably not Westwood, so no Command and Conquer Series (which is free elesewhere but I would like some GOG install W7 version).

Hoping for 2K or Microsoft. It's a bitch to get Age of Empires 2 working right on Windows 7 and have the colors not suck.

Edit: Turn based? Must be 2K, right?

Leonsito

Argh, probably not Westwood, so no Command and Conquer Series (which is free elesewhere but I would like some GOG install W7 version).

That's already on GoG, under EA, same case with Maxis.

Edit: Btw, I think it's Microsoft.

Edit2: Didn't see the Facebook update, so if it's turnbased it has to be 2K.

Ithil

On GOG.com's Twitter:

EDIT: Facebook says "We're bringing you guys a new publisher tomorrow! Creators of one of the most action-packed turn based strategy series on PC, we will bring four great games from this publisher in the next few weeks. Who do you think it's going to be?"

Hopefully Age of Empires series.

9OTu.jpg

A man can dream, right?

androvsky

Don't forget Star Wars: Force Commander and Empire at War! :) While GOG is trollish enough to do that, they wouldn't start teasing LucasArts only a day out, and it would be the perfect time to put X-Com up for sale.

I guess Rebellion was real time but it actually felt like a turn based 4x game. I loved that game when it came out. It was buggy but still fun.

Team17, of the Worms franchise would be my guess.

Action packed turn based strategy game? Awesome fit.

Worms would be awesome!

I don't think it'd be Civ - lately 2K seems intent on putting DRM on titles (seriously, Steam DRM on a mainly-offline-single-player game like Civilization? :S ).

We can dream though. I swear I'd almost pay $10 not to have to go through like 7 discs installing Civ 4 onto my computer every time I reinstall Windows, plus installin patches :S

it has to be 2k, and with them the x-com games. the new (turn based!) entry in the series was just announced and they were also on sale on steam so the timing couldn't be better. i am surprised they aren't on gog already considering their moneymaking potential and important place in pc gaming history.

Holy shit, Time Commando's out?! Somehow I doubt that the game is really as totally awesome as I remember it being, though.

larvi

Worms would be awesome!

I don't think it'd be Civ - lately 2K seems intent on putting DRM on titles (seriously, Steam DRM on a mainly-offline-single-player game like Civilization? :S ).

We can dream though. I swear I'd almost pay $10 not to have to go through like 7 discs installing Civ 4 onto my computer every time I reinstall Windows, plus installin patches :S

You can pick up the digital version of Civ4 complete from amazon this week for $8.99 ($3.99 if you have one of the $5 best selling game credit codes or can find someone who will let you have one of theirs) I'm pretty sure it's DRM free too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00475AYUA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mclem

Superfrog had the most earwormy intro music.

The racer looks annoyingly familiar, but I can't quite place it.

I'm actually a little more excited about Alien Breed (+TA) than Worms. I've played a ton of Worms over the years, but never really tried the Alien Breed titles.

Minsc

Gold Member
Typical Team 17, put out the version no one wants.

Seeing these Worms screenshots, I realized I remember Worms 2 the best of all the Worms games (with that great intro of going back and forth with larger and larger weapons), what's the general hierarchy of them?

Seeing these Worms screenshots, I realized I remember Worms 2 the best of all the Worms games (with that great intro of going back and forth with larger and larger weapons), what's the general hierarchy of them?
I remember liking Worms 2 best, but I think Armaggedon is the most loved.

Suairyu

Banned
Worms... 1? But... but... not even Worms 2? I mean, had you said Worms 2 I'd be all "well just wait for Armageddon anyway because it's Worms 2.5 but don't wait for Worms World Party because it's Worms 2.2" but...

Bah. I'll wait.

Think of Worms Armageddon as the GOTY Complete edition of Worms 2. Boosted singleplayer content thanks to missions and challenges, lots of lubbly cheats that you unlock rather than punch in random codes, the largest selection of weapons the franchise ever saw, improved customisation options for creating your team voices and terrain etc., and the all important netplay. It is objectively the best in the original series, and pseudo-objectively the best in the franchise because all of the new games have terrible physics and the graphics have lost a lot of charm in the transition to higher resolutions.

Worms World Party came out maybe a year later, featuring a much lesser weapon selection, cut down singleplayer options and generally felt like a game that should have come between 2 and Armageddon. To this day nobody gets why it was released and the Worms competitive community still plays Armageddon. World Party did actually boast better netcode and options on release, but that's all been patched into Armageddon since anyway so whatever.

WORMS ARMAGEDDON FOR LIFE

Lothars

Worms... 1? But... but... not even Worms 2? I mean, had you said Worms 2 I'd be all "well just wait for Armageddon anyway because it's Worms 2.5 but don't wait for Worms World Party because it's Worms 2.2" but...

Bah. I'll wait.

Think of Worms Armageddon as the GOTY Complete edition of Worms 2. Boosted singleplayer content thanks to missions and challenges, lots of lubbly cheats that you unlock rather than punch in random codes, the largest selection of weapons the franchise ever saw, improved customisation options for creating your team voices and terrain etc., and the all important netplay. It is objectively the best in the original series, and pseudo-objectively the best in the franchise because all of the new games have terrible physics and the graphics have lost a lot of charm in the transition to higher resolutions.
I just hope they don't stop with Worms 1 and they do release the others.

Suairyu

Banned
I just hope they don't stop with Worms 1 and they do release the others.
Like they're going to pass up another chance to milk the Armageddon machine. They'll probably make a decent sum of Worms 2 as well to catch nostalgia-blind fools like Minsc.

MINSC DID I MENTION THAT WORMS ARMAGEDDON HAD ALL OF THE CG MOVIES FROM WORMS 2 ANYWAY SO THE ONE THING YOU SAID YOU LIKED ABOUT IT ISN'T RELEVANT?

Minsc

Gold Member
Like they're going to pass up another chance to milk the Armageddon machine. They'll probably make a decent sum of Worms 2 as well to catch nostalgia-blind fools like Minsc.

MINSC DID I MENTION THAT WORMS ARMAGEDDON HAD ALL OF THE CG MOVIES FROM WORMS 2 ANYWAY SO THE ONE THING YOU SAID YOU LIKED ABOUT IT ISN'T RELEVANT?

I'm all for legitimate GOTY/Complete editions that provide more content. Hear that Boo? Wait for Armageddon!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Don't hate on Worms United. Game has charm, and it actually feels a bit different, whereas all other Worms games not called Armageddon are just inferior versions of Armageddon, or crappy 3D games.

Love Worms Pinball too, hope it'll make it soon enough. It's the best spin-off pinball game ever along with Kirby's Pinball Land.

daviyoung

Banned
Worms 2 had a really comprehensive customisation tool. I don't remember Armageddon having any of that. Setting prod to something like 100x power and launching worms offscreen with a finger was a lot of fun.

Never knew Team17 had other famous games besides worms as well.

And they all look charming, esp. that racing game looks really gorgeous. Though, not gonna buy anything for now, still burned on the Christmas sale :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Worms 2 had a really comprehensive customisation tool. I don't remember Armageddon having any of that. Setting prod to something like 100x power and launching worms offscreen with a finger was a lot of fun.

Worms 2 is basically up there as well... Come to think of it, it's pretty much been downhill since Armageddon :(. I almost bought the latest 2D Worms on Steam when I saw the price and the description, but customers review made me decide against it. Game sounds like a huge rip-off.

Insured

This is what I remember Worms 2 most fondly for, and I remember being disappointed with Armageddon for having very limited customisation options (I recall some 5-star power system?).

I will probably buy Worms United, Worms 2 and Armageddon if they all come out, I think all three have their place. Though I'm not sure how well the first game still holds up in comparison.

Danneee

Always liked Worms 1 best. Every game after that looks and plays exactly the same imho (the 2d ones at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom