• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn title but w/ full voice) announced for 3DS

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

I said it before, but I've ALWAYS wanted to play this game! Will buy a 3DS when the inevitable localization happens for sure. Okada, wherever you are, this one will be for you!

MechaX

Well, with a hopeful Atlus localization, this and FE solidified a 3DS purchase from me somewhere down the line.

Midou

I wanted to play this for a while, and I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I sure fucking wish Atlus would make some games instead of porting and enhancing older ones. I mean it's better than doing a recent game, but they have made like a single new console game all gen, and while it was awesome, it's still pretty short. PS2 had like, what, 7 SMTs?

Still day 1

Overclocked would've really benefited from having both games in one cartridge, and it surely wouldn't have been a big one either, depends on the voicework's space requirements, hell they could always do that in the future maybe; remake the sequel, then do a two-pack.

Now was Soul Hackers a 2D title like Survivor? If so, I'll bet they go the Overclocked route. Still surprised they did something that lazy, unless the touch-screen was vital for gameplay? Kinda doubt it.

Nairume

Banned
Now was Soul Hackers a 2D title like Survivor? If so, I'll bet they go the Overclocked route. Still surprised they did something that lazy, unless the touch-screen was vital for gameplay? Kinda doubt it.

Same thing as Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey, and the old MegaTen games. 3D 1st person dungeons and first person 2d battles.

Voice actors, if anyone cares:
Minako Kotobuki (Serah from FFXIII - I'm betting this is gonna be Hitomi)
Kazuya Nikai (Shinjiro from P3, Gilgamesh from FF games where he has a voice, Wakka from FFX - Probably Spooky)
Yuki Kaji (Hope from FFXIII - Probably Yu-ichi)
Daisuke Ono (Snow from FFXIII - Probably Six)
Chiwa Saito (Metis from P3Fes - Probably Nemissa)

matmanx1

Awesome news. I've never played this one but have always wanted to. I love the vibe and am a big fan of the SMT series. Bring it!

Goli

3D menus are deep man. Deeeep. (lol)

Actually, the menus weren't even in 3D, even if you actually turned 3D on since it's one of those games where it doesn't work (the little 3D icon on the top screen isn't lit green as it is when you can see something in 3D). The only times where I remember you being able to actually see things in 3D had you turned 3D on were on the crappy intro movie and during demon fusion.

Aeana

Part 2 of Cool Atlus Stuff finally announced. :)
I hope you guys all try this out. It's one of my favorite games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The choice is rather unexpected, but I'm happy. I love this game, and the music's pretty good, imo.

Gravijah said:
man fuck not another game i need to play. gaming industry needs to relax with these releases.
We need to take all of your other games away from you so you can finally get cracking on the Atelier games before another one is announced. :p

neat, who was expecting this? full VA as well? wow, i can't wait for that dual-language option!

i'm eager to hear what they'll do with the soundtrack. the original print is sought-after.

Teknoman

Widescreen > 3D

j6XLvMgvOkZNb.png

mollipen

You can play DS2 on the 3DS anyway. They're not going to spend a bunch of money to record full voices when the majority of fans have spoken out and voted with their wallet. No one wants Overclocked.

It's really weird, because while usually I'm all for having voice in RPGs, playing the bit of Overclocked that I did, I was rather turned off by the voices. It just felt so... so unnatural! But I've no idea why.

flowsnake

Wait, Strange Journey didn't ever come out in Europe? Ugh, that doesn't bode well for this. If I ever get a 3DS I'll probably be forced to get a US one.

It's really weird, because while usually I'm all for having voice in RPGs, playing the bit of Overclocked that I did, I was rather turned off by the voices. It just felt so... so unnatural! But I've no idea why.
The voice acting in Overclocked was great, for the most part. Spike Spencer was fantastic as Atsuro.

Sophia

Is it a sequel to the original Devil Summoner, or does it stand on its own?

Buying it regardless, just curious.

On it's own. It's also one of the first games in which the current character designer (Shigenori Soejima) for the Person series worked on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Maybe because when any of the characters spoke any other sound effects like music are getting dampened to really, really low levels? Well at least that's the reason for me though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Part 2 of Cool Atlus Stuff finally announced. :)
I hope you guys all try this out. It's one of my favorite games.

I would, but no 3DS. Y U NO DS, ATLUS!?

Still, this is good news.

Seik

Banned
You mean...it will be released in NA? In fucking english and everything???

If yes, I'm in, aaaaall in, oh yeah!

I had the Saturn version, I tried, I really really tried to like it without understanding anything but I just couldn't... If this is really what I think it is I'll buy it in a heartbeat!

IrishNinja

fuckin' nice!

so does this one play like the other DS titles then? ive only played 1 and a bit of 2, but it doesnt look like Raidou is in this.

Sophia

fuckin' nice!

so does this one play like the other DS titles then? ive only played 1 and a bit of 2, but it doesnt look like Raidou is in this.

Completely different. The other DS titles are actually the third/fourth entry. This is closer to Strange Journey.

IrishNinja

Not at all. It's much closer to the first Persona game than anything else, but even that's a bad comparison since it does quite a few things differently.

Check this out: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/devilsummoner1.htm

Completely different. The other DS titles are actually the third/fourth entry. This is closer to Strange Journey.

ah, i see - thanks guys, good to know what to expect here. off to check Aena's link.

*edit whoah this looks pretty cool too, i can see the p1 comparison. been a while since i got into some dungeon crawling like this!

Top Bottom