• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Surfinn

I must share the rug we got for the Star Wars themed nursery.

1X6YUkf.jpg
This is awesome

So with Claudia Grey somewhat disappointedly continuing to do Leia novels, I started thinking what authors I would want from our current list of folks to work on next. Is it too late for Christie Golden to do a Ashoka novel that is actually good? Dark Disciple was amazing, and im very much looking forward to Inferno Squad, and I really like Ashoka, but man was that novel a huge letdown.

Meowster

I don't really get the hate for the Mortis arc in the Clone Wars. Thought it was really interesting and a nice new layer to the mythology of the series. I guess I can see how it is strange to introduce godlike beings to the series but..

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

sphagnum

Banned
Wait. What? Is this an official thing?

Actually, is Star Wars big in Japan? Like I see a lot of anime figure companies making Star Wars stuff, but I always assumed they were for the Western market.

It is: https://linecorp.com/ja/pr/news/ja/2017/1720

New chapter every Thursday starting May 4 (Star Wars Day).

Star Wars seems well known in Japan but I don't know how popular it is exactly. It gets referenced a lot in pop culture though.

Malyse

In the Aftermath trilogy, Sinjir was gay and he was part of the main cast of characters.
I know, but "main cast" is not the same as "main protagonist", yeah?
There was a possibility that Sinjir could die. He has optics armor but Aphra has plot armor.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't think that's really a spoiler. They've been hinting at Aphra being interested in women since the Rebel Jail arc of the main SW comic since her and Sana apparently had a bad breakup or something like that.

Malyse

I wish they would either put all the short stories on StarWars.com or sell them in the Kindle book store a la ​Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens. I'm not really up for paying $6 for a six page story.

----

We have two books coming in May, a book and a miniseries in July, two books in August, one in September, two in October, two and a game in November, and a movie in December. So, what's up with June?

Her first name is Chelli? Man, I have been out of the loop.

Chelli Lona Aphra.

Aphra is the best character in the series.

Meowster

The Clone Wars has gotten so good.
e5210213.png

This whole Mandalore arc is expertly woven, tying in all the different minor threads throughout the series and bringing them to a head. Maul and Savage are a great duo and having them scheme with the Death Watch was great fun. I'm still devastated by them killing
Satine
but you knew it had to happen for everything to make sense. Poor Obi-Wan has had one messed up life. And then it ends with that incredible Maul and Savage vs. Palpatine fight that was one of the best in the saga. Woo.

Gurrry

The Clone Wars has gotten so good.
e5210213.png

This whole Mandalore arc is expertly woven, tying in all the different minor threads throughout the series and bringing them to a head. Maul and Savage are a great duo and having them scheme with the Death Watch was great fun. I'm still devastated by them killing
Satine
but you knew it had to happen for everything to make sense. Poor Obi-Wan has had one messed up life. And then it ends with that incredible Maul and Savage vs. Palpatine fight that was one of the best in the saga. Woo.

Ive been watching Rebels and clone wars simultaneously and while I like rebels, I much prefer the continuing plot of clone wars a lot more so far (im in season 1 of both).

Each episode of rebels feels like it just throws me into a new story each time without any real long developing plot lines.

Meowster

Ive been watching Rebels and clone wars simultaneously and while I like rebels, I much prefer the continuing plot of clone wars a lot more so far (im in season 1 of both).

Each episode of rebels feels like it just throws me into a new story each time without any real long developing plot lines.
I'm starting Rebels next since I am so far along in The Clone Wars now that I might as well just finish it. The first season of TCW was a little rough for me but it gets really good afterwords. Maybe the same happens with Rebels? Though I hear it is a little more kid oriented than TCW (which got insanely dark by Season 4 and is no longer a show young children should even watch by 5 tbh).

Gurrry

I'm starting Rebels next since I am so far along in The Clone Wars now that I might as well just finish it. The first season of TCW was a little rough for me but it gets really good afterwords. Maybe the same happens with Rebels? Though I hear it is a little more kid oriented than TCW (which got insanely dark by Season 4 and is no longer a show young children should even watch by 5 tbh).

This is what im thinking as well. There are a few plot points that are continuous, I just wish they spent more time with them rather then telling me these little one off side stories.

sphagnum

Banned
Rebels is much more kid oriented than TCW and it never embraces multi-episode arcs, but it does pick up. You'll find that it's a series with a lot of low key episodes interspersed with "plot" ones, but it builds up over time.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've never been able to fully fall in love even with The Clone Wars. I'm obnoxious about certain things, heh, and one of them is that I tend to feel like TCW's pacing in most episodes is about five octanes too quick. It frequently feels like it could use a breather.

I do really, really like the show, though, and as someone who has a difficult time getting into cartoons of any kind, that's testament to how well-written and gorgeous it is.

Unsurprisingly, I rank Rebels a couple of notches lower. But I started liking it around the tail end of Season 1, and I've carried that measured joy forward. I'm excited to see how it wraps. That was a great Season 4 trailer.

Clone wars versus Rebels is a no brainer

When we thought Netflix was losing TCW I went back and randomly picked episodes to watch. It's amazing the difference. I know Rebels has a smaller budget, but it's also 5-6 years later, and the diversity in environments, quality of animations and just overall presentation makes it feel like it's not even in the same stratosphere as clone wars. That's before taking into account story, dialogue, and characters

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Clone wars versus Rebels is a no brainer

When we thought Netflix was losing TCW I went back and randomly picked episodes to watch. It's amazing the difference. I know Rebels has a smaller budget, but it's also 5-6 years later, and the diversity in environments, quality of animations and just overall presentation makes it feel like it's not even in the same stratosphere as clone wars. That's before taking into account story, dialogue, and characters

That's true, although this last season of Rebels has definitely seen dramatic improvements in animation & visual effects.

Meowster

Is the hatred for Kathleen Kennedy just a Tumblr thing or a popular sentiment throughout Star Wars fans? I've loved what she's done with the series (and her work outside of it) but I feel like I've seen nothing but vile stuff thrown her way for either not being inclusive enough or being too inclusive. I'm lost.

Surfinn

Is the hatred for Kathleen Kennedy just a Tumblr thing or a popular sentiment throughout Star Wars fans? I've loved what she's done with the series (and her work outside of it) but I feel like I've seen nothing but vile stuff thrown her way for either not being inclusive enough or being too inclusive. I'm lost.

The hatred for her exposes people. There's really only one reason

sphagnum

Banned
The ending to Thrawn has a really interesting twist that flips his introduction in Rebels on its head. And I need to know when that epilogue takes place.

I've been away in Edinburgh this week so I thought I'd try and buy a book in a bookstore for once. Two Waterstones stores, a few WHSmiths and not a copy of Thrawn to be found. Back to the Internet then.

UK high street is useless for Star Wars fiction. Saying that, I've forsaken the UK books altogether - realised the UK copies lack the dustjacket treatments and have inferior binding to the US copies so now I get imported ones from the Book Depository.

Vashetti

Banned
I bought the TFA novelisation on eBay the other day in hardback, and now I'm torn whether to continue collecting the other canon books in hardback or paperback.

Several of the hardbacks like Lords of the Sith and Heir to the Jedi are really hard to find for a good price, and several of the paperbacks contain content exclusive to them because they were printed later on.

UK high street is useless for Star Wars fiction. Saying that, I've forsaken the UK books altogether - realised the UK copies lack the dustjacket treatments and have inferior binding to the US copies so now I get imported ones from the Book Depository.
What's the difference with the dustjackets?

I bought the TFA novelisation on eBay the other day in hardback, and now I'm torn whether to continue collecting the other canon books in hardback or paperback.

Several of the hardbacks like Lords of the Sith and Heir to the Jedi are really hard to find for a good price, and several of the paperbacks contain content exclusive to them because they were printed later on.
The paperbacks are usually released several months after the hardcovers so it depends if you mind waiting. I think I'd just go with the paperbacks if you haven't read any yet and want to catch up. They're cheap and take up less space too.

I buy the hardcovers as I've always preferred them. Plus I like to read the novels when they're first released. Well, most of them.

UK ones are plain gloss, US ones have embossing and spot varnishing and stuff. It's not a big deal, to be honest, but since there seems little reason for stuff like that to be omitted (the novelisation have proper cover treatments, presumably because they can flog them in supermarkets), I just refuse to buy them out of bloody-minded spite.

Top Bottom