• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Game Story Ever

Veelk

Banned
The Rules: List what you think is the worst story (or at least a very bad one) in gaming and explain why. For the purposes of variety, try not to list a game that someone already listed, or at least don't do so without giving additional reasons for why it's bad. Also, try to pick games that are actually trying to have a plot of some kind. There is little point in critiquing Super Mario, however valid it may be, in having the same paper thin plot from game to game. Besides that, go nuts.

My pick is:

cod68.jpg

This plot was....completely incomprehensible. It was nothing more than continuing series of shit blowing up with no logical reason or flow connecting the events. Rarely has a game left me more baffled as to what went on than this one.

In the beginning of the first mission with the plot in mind, the terrorist leader attacks a russian airport with you, an undercover CIA agent, as one of his underlings. "No Russian" he mutters, so that they will not be identified as Russian by....I don't know, the people he's killing? I somehow doubt that anyone who survives will hear them talking in english over the screams and gunfire as they run for their lives. Strangely, while he's very concerned with not being heard speaking russian, this world wide famous terrorist, Makarov, apparently has no issues showing his face. Apparently, Russians airports don't have security cameras. Anyway, you do your part (or perhaps you don't), and at the end of the mission Makarov shoots you point blank in the head. The Russian detectives somehow, I don't know how, identify you as a CIA agent (I never knew that the russian government had such easy access to American National Security personnel files). They worked out that this was actually an american act of war. Apparently, the fact that the american was found lying dead with potentially no victims roused no suspicions. This clearly means that the russians have no choice but a full scale invasion of America! Somehow, this doesn't result in nuclear war.

I will admit, it's been a while, so I'm a bit foggy on the rest of the plot. I only rewatched that one mission on youtube to get a refresh. But the rest of the game is just as wacky. I remember that somehow Price manages to launch a nuclear bomb (how he managed to do that, who the fuck knows) and somehow programmed it to detonate in outer space so that it'd sent an EMP to slow down the russian invasion. There's this other part where you get shot and burned alive by the US general for...no reason I can tell. It's not like you knew what the files on that thing you gave him were, and I doubt he'd find out. And he does this in front of hundreds of other soldiers. Apparently, he trusts them to be loyal on faith alone. Then there is this one mission where the navy will bomb a place even though it's allies are still there, but there is another oil rig mission where they refuse to assault it because of a few hostages.

Like I said, that campaign was just a series of Epic Shit Going Down™ with no logical reason following it. None at all.

Seda

Final Fantasy VIII was the first to come to mind. What the heck was Ultimecia trying to achieve by compressing time? Many other issues as well, like the orphanage "twist", of course. The beginning was okay, but it really falls apart.

I'm sure there are much worse, though.

Fahrenheit anyone? :) Explanation? Why anyone who has played it knows how it starts out very good, and then gradually gets worse and worse to a point where it´s just becomes a joke. It´s really as much "anything goes!" as the plots in the Modern Warfare games.

Big One

Banned
RXidk.jpg

Literally one of the worst storylines a series has ever had imo.

Brutally destroys the cool concept of a decent Disney crossover with terrible characters, terrible dialogue, and terrible story. Everything is just so wrong.

Undubbed

I can't say 'ever', but for a game that puts enphasis on story I'll have to go with FFXIII simply on the fact that I didn't find anything that went on interesting in the very least. Which is a first for me in a Final Fantasy game.

Any game that doesn't put emphasis or importance on story, I always give a pass. I don't think there's much reason to harp on exuse plots.

star_ocean_the_last_hope_frontcover_large_c367PnpuQJ7bax8.jpg

FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Edit: Didn't read OP properly. WHY Star Ocean IV? Anyone that has played it will know what a pile of shit the writing is, made even worse by hammy voice acting and TERRIBLE characters that really don't translate well outside of Japan.

Features some of the most dreadful plot twists ever that has the main character seemingly teetering on the EDGE of suicide for at least 10 hours afterwards, and doesn't forget to remind you with CUTSCENE after CUTSCENE of diabolical whining. Also loli-heavy.

FFXIII gets a special mention - I've never played a game where you needed to read an entire codex to know what the hell is going on.

-Winnie-

Big One said:
RXidk.jpg

Brutally destroys the cool concept of a decent Disney crossover with terrible characters, terrible dialogue, and terrible story. Everything is just so wrong.

KH1 had an innocence to it, fused Disney worlds with a JRPG charm and was well-contained. It wasn't until KH2 that shit started getting weird and convoluted.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
9f17q.jpg

Inane plot of generic rage where a secret weapon, of which is actually less of a threat then many grunts you face, and a mystery of a missing wife where they throw into your face so often without ever telling or showing you why you should care. Everyone that shows up and talks has no real meaning, except Super Joe to slap fans of the original games perhaps, and do nothing to move the story in any real direction other then to repeat the very fact the character's wife is missing.
When we get to the end, oh and what an ending it is. Where a character who doesn't matter dies off that we guess we should care about and the mystery of the missing wife is solved in full. Oh and what an ending it is, if anyone hadn't guessed it at the start or cared to begin with.

They tried for a story, I'll give them that, but to be outclassed by the 8-bit game in delivery and quality makes it oh so bad.

Note I know there are worst game stories out there technically, but I could enjoy the ones I've experienced, not so with this one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, also, Bayonetta. I've beaten the game and I still have no idea what the hell was supposed to be happening.

Fucking fantastic game, but the story is awful.

phillax said:
Can you folks please include any image relating to the games you describe?

For what purpose, exactly?

Sophia

Phonomezer said:
[IMG ]http://i.neoseeker.com/boxshots/R2FtZXMvWGJveF8zNjAvUm9sZS1QbGF5aW5nL1NjaS1GaQ==/star_ocean_the_last_hope_frontcover_large_c367PnpuQJ7bax8.jpg[/IMG]

FUCKING TERRIBLE.

People are certainly going to list answers like Modern Warfare or Final Fantasy in here, but they don't even compare to this dogpile of shit. Some of the cutscenes are just... bleedingly awful, and I'm not talking about the English track. One cutscene in the game actually goes something like this. (Minor spoilers, but it's so bad you probably won't care.)

"Hey, hand me over Applied Phlebotinum and I'll help you. *evil smirk*"
"Why should I trust you?"
"Because I'm good!"
"Oh, okay"
"HA HA HA FOOLS!"

Seriously. Watch for yourself, if you dare.

Zwei said:
Zwei said:
What? I've played Tetris for countless hours, and I still don't get what the story was about.. Hell, now that I remember, I never got an ending. :/

Your ability to read the original post astounds and amazes me. I am in awe.

jett

D-Member
Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg

So bad it retroactively ruins the entire franchise.

Big One said:
RXidk.jpg

This thing would be my second choice. The entire series. It's funny how the story only gets worse and more retarded with each game.

daffy

Banned
Untitled.png

The 3rd Birthday

The cause for almost every plot point is hidden away in a tome containing Kingdom Hearts esque explanations, barely any spiritual continuity from the first two games besides some characters, and some of the worst new characters in gaming. Seriously just garbage, and the gameplay supplement is nice until they screw it all up with that damn Reaver boss.

arggggh

phillax

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Oh, also, Bayonetta. I've beaten the game and I still have no idea what the hell was supposed to be happening.

For what purpose, exactly?

Purpose: To get a visual aid of the game, because I'm too tired to look them up right now, and when I have a chance to come back to this thread it will have a lot of pages to look through.

Eusis

Super Buster Bros. I cheated during a rental way, way back and didn't even get an ending!

For a more serious response: ... I dunno, there's a lot of candidates. Star Ocean for the dumb twist in the third game and the general awfulness of the fourth game? Crackdown for it's arbitrary twist at the end that barely meant anything by then? Or maybe NiGHTS Wii for daring to tell a story at all (and not letting me skip the damn cutscenes)? Actually, I think that puts NiGHTS as the most aggravating, Till The End of Time wasn't offensively dumb until that twist while 4 was mostly seen through Youtube (and they have the courtesy to let you skip cutscenes and summarize anyway), and Crackdown's pretty much was just one really dumb moment before they let you run around a city again. NiGHTs though, I HAD to watch those Children of the Corn-esque puppets before I could play the game again because some jerk at Sonic Team thought he was writing a meaningful story.

Heavy Rain.

wBYnP.jpg

The Origami killer's motivation and actions made no sense.

I guess the main issue is the storytelling, not just the story. The wooden acting and bizarre situations just make it really, really hard to take seriously as a package. This may have just been me, but I felt it treated the main female lead pretty poorly, too. To this day I maintain this game is proof that games don't need to be cinematic, nor do they even need to try.

Seraphis Cain said:

No.

Actually. Yes. I had no idea what was going on by the end. I preferred the Luka/Cereza moments anyhow. But Bayonetta is such a top broad that I'm willing to give the game a pass ;D

Marrshu said:
People are certainly going to list answers like Modern Warfare or Final Fantasy in here, but they don't even compare to this dogpile of shit. Some of the cutscenes are just... bleedingly awful, and I'm not talking about the English track. One cutscene in the game actually goes something like this. (Minor spoilers, but it's so bad you probably won't care.)

"Hey, hand me over Applied Phlebotinum and I'll help you. *evil smirk*"
"Why should I trust you?"
"Because I'm good!"
"Oh, okay"
"HA HA HA FOOLS!"

Seriously. Watch for yourself, if you dare.

God. GOD. That just makes me angry. What makes me angrier is the amount of hours playing this pile of shit for so long thinking "I'm sure it'll get better soon... Lymle will die and the game will get better" - no.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
MGS4. Not only is the writing complete garbage, but you are force-fed hours upon hours of it and end up doing more watching than playing. For me it's the worst story not because of it's laughable construction, but because of just how much of it there is. To think that a developer spent most of their time making those awful cutscenes rather than actual gameplay scenarios is quite unbelievable.

Honorable mention to Heavy Rain.

Jigsaw

Banned
kingdom hearts and 3rd birthday at least make sense to some extent

then there is stuff like vanquish where i don't know if the story is self-parody or dead serious

phillax

Banned
Big One said:
RXidk.jpg

No mater how bad the plots are in each installment people will still line to buy them.

Sophia

Phonomezer said:
God. GOD. That just makes me angry. What makes me angrier is the amount of hours playing this pile of shit for so long thinking "I'm sure it'll get better soon... Lymle will die and the game will get better" - no.

I actually wasn't thinking the stories or characters were too bad until I hit that point. Then I realized that Edge wasn't going turn into Captain James T. Kirk. I think I made it half way through the next section before quitting and not returning.

I actually had plans to return with the PS3 version and just skip all the cutscenes, but my local rental place never got that version.

Also, I think this thread needs a spoilers warning in the title. =P

Enslaved.

Andy Serkis - "We have schools, you don't have schools, you have mechs." Said in an incredibly serious manner. Terrible script writing.

Nert

There's probably a large gulf between the worst story in a game that I've played and the "worst game story ever." I mean, I think that the story in Shadow Complex was total bullshit, but I assume that even that was better than the story for Rogue Warrior.

Actually, never mind. I nominate all fighting games as collectively telling the worst stories in every medium. After all of the Tekken games that I've played, I just have vague memories of people throwing each other into volcanoes.

Veelk

Banned
Jigsaw said:
kingdom hearts and 3rd birthday at least make sense to some extent

then there is stuff like vanquish where i don't know if the story is self-parody or dead serious
It's intentionally bad, confirmed by the story writer himself.

Marrshu said:
I actually wasn't thinking the stories or characters were too bad until I hit that point. Then I realized that Edge wasn't going turn into Captain James T. Kirk. I think I made it half way through the next section before quitting and not returning.

I actually had plans to return with the PS3 version and just skip all the cutscenes, but my local rental place never got that version.

Also, I think this thread needs a spoilers warning in the title. =P

Yep I quit about 35 hours into it, that was enough for me. You know, I didn't think the game was too bad either until that moment, moreso, I thought that was a fairly interesting plot twist until several SECONDS afterwards..

Oh well, here's hoping the next Star Ocean is playable :)

Top Bottom