• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Exentryk

Didn't have much time to play today, but I tried out a practice match just to see and I'm really impressed by firstly the updated look, and secondly, but how slick and fast it now is. The turn change is quick, card placements feel snappy... it feels really good.

They've changed the abilities around a bit, so I'm going to have to suss out my decks. Will put in some time over the weekend.

Sorian

Banned
Got my invite, wooo

Question: Does this game need any knowledge of The Witcher or spoil anything?

No spoilers from their claims so far. Characters are cards so you'll glean some info but I haven't seen anything at all that is an explicit spoiler.

Did your code just come in or from yesterday?

No spoilers from their claims so far. Characters are cards so you'll glean some info but I haven't seen anything at all that is an explicit spoiler.

Did your code just come in or from yesterday?
Got it just after midnight, 00:08 October 26th. (GMT+3, 16:30 right now).

Thanks!

FWIW I'd registered the day after registration opened IIRC.

nubbe

Pretty fun bug with Priestess of Freya... Your opponent can sometimes get the card drawn from the graveyard

The 'Deathrattle' ability (not sure the Gwent name) continues to be very good when used strategically.

Prize Winning Cow
cBnWD5D.png

When removed: Spawn 1 Chort unit.

Removal can be due to damage (strength reduction), but will also occur at the end of the round. So you could start turn 2 with:

Chort
D4gbasK.png

I'm no CCG/TCG pro, but this card (and others like it) seems pretty decent. I've been using this with an Eredin/Monsters deck.

Sorian

Banned
The 'Deathrattle' ability (not sure the Gwent name) continues to be very good when used strategically.

Prize Winning Cow
cBnWD5D.png

Removal can be due to damage (strength reduction), but will also occur at the end of the round. So you could start turn 2 with:

Chort
D4gbasK.png

I'm no CCG/TCG pro, but this card (and others like it) seems pretty decent. I've been using this with an Eredin/Monsters deck.

Something to keep in mind is your monster deck ability where one card randomly stays on the field. It can choose the cow which means you could be stuck with it and no Chort.

Edit: Also, I am always looking for a PC code if anyone wants to help me out.

Cat Party

This game is fun. I barely touched Gwent in Witcher 3, so I have no frame of reference, but the design is very solid. So many decisions to make and risks to take.

After several disastrous plays, I understand how Scorch works, so that's good. I like the way gold cards work, too, since that curbs the pay to win tendency in these kinds of games.

Something to keep in mind is your monster deck ability where one card randomly stays on the field. It can choose the cow which means you could be stuck with it and no Chort.

Edit: Also, I am always looking for a PC code if anyone wants to help me out.

Yea I've had that happen, but it ended up winning me the game in round 3. That deck ability has potential to piss people off with the RNG aspect of it. I've also had it select a Chort to keep at the end of round 2. The 'deathrattle' strat is by no means a guaranteed win, lmao.

People don't seem to mind it with HS and that game is generating insane revenue for Blizzard.

Problem with Hearthstone is that model is pretty unappealing to new players IMO. I wouldn't start playing HS now because it's an expensive mountain to climb (if you intend to be competitive), even with the 'Standard' play mode. I've kept playing since pre-beta, but if I missed a few xpacs, I doubt I'd return.

But you're right, the model seems to be working quite well for Blizzard, and I don't hear too much complaining about that aspect of the game.

Sorian

Banned
Yea I've had that happen, but it ended up winning me the game in round 3. That deck ability has potential to piss people off with the RNG aspect of it. I've also had it select a Chort to keep at the end of round 2. The 'deathrattle' strat is by no means a guaranteed win, lmao.

It's death wish in this game if memory serves. It's actually easy to counter with scorch :p

Outrun

Are spy cards still in the game?

I am playing Northern Realms but have no spy cards...

I need my spy Cards!

So, I've played a few matches and mostly lost. Is it me or is the game tuned to pretty much force you to buy decks and cards to be competitive? I don't think I've gotten a single new card after the tutorial.

Top Bottom