• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Sequel/Expansion with no new classes? Is this real?

Koutsoubas

I know we had many threads today about Destiny 2 but are we at the point in this Industry that a whole new Huge Sequel/expansion call it whatever you want doesnt even guarantee at least one new class? Does anyone know if this has happenned before?

For 3 years we ve been playing with only 3 classes and we say that its OK to go another year with these 3 classes? Thats the most basic thing every game gives to its gamers.

Im a Destiny fan but Im sorry Bungie thats not right. And it sets a bad example for the rest of the Devs. I know 4 new planets etc but the game will feel the same and dated if the protagonists are the same!! And it's not a classic game rebooted(so I could understand the classes remain the same). It was released only 3 years ago!

I hope E3 will give us a new class but I doubt it.

Koutsoubas

They have a 10 year plan. For sure we wont play with 3 classes for 10 years.

I mean...... will we?

Plz God no.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pretty sure we'll always have the three main classes with subclasses being where the differentiation comes in.

Zakalwe

Banned
Destiny launched with like a third of a games content.

You expect the sequel to launch with much more?

Sorry

It will, though. What they've described so far is level with D2 + all expansions. This game will have substantially more than vanilla D1.

Pretty sure we'll always have the three main classes with subclasses being where the differentiation comes in.

Yep. That's the design and it's perfectly fine.

Koutsoubas

Yes, probably, because that seems to be the design of the game.

The subclasses are the variety.

Well if thats true then its bad design. Or they should give edit at least 2 new subclasses every major Release. Not one

Also in Wows case they had new classes in some of the Expansions

10 year plan went out the window when they hamstrung themselves on a poor infrastructure with the first game. Destiny would be far more appealing to me as an MMO-like platform instead of a numbered-sequel franchise that it has turned into.

"Has turned into", wait what? Destiny was always getting sequels. That *was* the 10 year plan. A new game every two years, with a "Comet" (expansion) in the off years.

I remember people speculated for years about Valve adding a new 10th class to Team Fortress 2.

Guard Dog, anyone? lol

guard_dog_01.jpg

Koutsoubas

It seriously looks weird to me to play with the same 3 classes for 10 years.

And im not picky when it comes to Destiny

David___

Banned
10 year plan went out the window when they hamstrung themselves on a poor infrastructure with the first game. Destiny would be far more appealing to me as an MMO-like platform instead of a numbered-sequel franchise that it has turned into.

Destiny always intended to have sequels.

Zakalwe

Banned
Well if thats true then its bad design. Or they should give edit at least 2 new subclasses every major Release. Not one

Also in Wows case they had new classes in some of the Expansions

But this isn't WoW.

Look, if the game is designed well enough with the amount of classes and sub-classes they have in mind then it won't matter. You won't be able to tell if the number of classes/sub-classes is lacking until you have context.

You may have played D1 and thought it felt lacking for this reason, but D2 seems to be launching with much more content. So you don't know how you're going to feel about the overall experience.

Alienous

The series seemed built around the three classes, each representing an archetype, that would grow with each game.

I guess adding classes is an MMO thing to do but I didn't expect it. I did expect more exciting class abilities and supers, though.

Bry0

Destiny always intended to have sequels.

Seriously, did nobody look at the contracts? It was a 10 year deal for like, 3 games and expansions.
This 10 year single game mmo never existed, it's just a dumb misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what a new class would add to the game that a new subclass or two wouldn't. Subclasses are where it's at in Destiny.

Koutsoubas

But this isn't WoW.

Look, if the game is designed well enough with the amount of classes and sub-classes they have in mind then it won't matter. You won't be able to tell if the number of classes/sub-classes is lacking until you have context.

You may have played D1 and thought it felt lacking for this reason, but D2 seems to be launching with much more content. So you don't know how you're going to feel about the overall experience.

I can see your reasoning and yes i will know 100% for sure when I play it.

But the fatigue from the old abilities is there. I wanted smth exciting. It doesnt have to be over the top or something crazy. But it needs to be new and combat applicable.

For example you say its designed for 3 specific classes. I can respect that if there were also team combos/attacks. For example connect Warlock and Titan Ulti to create something Unique.

Ideas along this line that will make these specific 3 classes feel important to exist together for 10 years

Well if thats true then its bad design.

Respectfully, I don't think not meeting an arbitrary number of new classes is bad design. Kinda the opposite, if their design intention is based on balancing around 3 roles (with variable skill/ability sets) then breaking that for the sake of consumer expectation of what constitutes "new" could lead into bad territory.

Koutsoubas

Respectfully, I don't think not meeting an arbitrary number of new classes is bad design. Kinda the opposite, if their design intention is based on balancing around 3 roles (with variable skill/ability sets) then breaking that for the sake of consumer expectation of what constitutes "new" could lead into bad territory.

I agree with you. Its not the number that im worried but the repetition of the same old abilities. In order to feel smth fresh it needs either new addition in numbers or more variety(more than 1 subclasses)

Thats how I see it

Zakalwe

Banned
I can see your reasoning and yes i will know 100% for sure when I play it.

But the fatigue from the old abilities is there. I wanted smth exciting. It doesnt have to be over the top or something crazy. But it needs to be new and combat applicable.

For example you say its designed for 3 specific classes. I can respect that if there were also team combos/attacks. For example connect Warlock and Titan Ulti to create something Unique.

Ideas along this line that will make these specific 3 classes feel important to exist together for 10 years

Right, this makes sense to me more than your OP.

I definitely get that they could have been more creative, and I would have loved that too, but I also know that Destiny 1 was a great game at its core despite its flaws. If D2 manages to fix most of the things wrong with D1, I think that might even be enough for many who are put off by the seeming lack of original content.

I mean the best Destiny got was playing with a group of friends, clan-mates, gaffers to complete the end game content. The Raids being the absolute highlight, and Guided Games looks /huge/ if you have any experience with building groups for activities in D1.

This alone will change the feel of the in game experience drastically, and the social aspects of this game are the things that are really going to make it shine. I think a refined D1 with a bunch more content sounds like it could be pretty incredible.

Koutsoubas

Right, this makes sense to me more than your OP.

I definitely get that they could have been more creative, and I would have loved that too, but I also know that Destiny 1 was a great game at its core despite its flaws. If D2 manages to fix most of the things wrong with D1, I think that might even be enough for many who are put off by the seemingly lack of original content.

I mean the best Destiny got was playing with a group of friends, clan-mates, gaffers to complete the end game content. The Raids being the absolute highlight, and Guided Games looks /huge/ if you have any experience with building groups for activities in D1.

This alone will change the feel of the in game experience drastically, and the social aspects of this game are the things that are really going to make it shine. I think a refined D1 with a bunch more content sounds like it could be pretty incredible.

On the other hand for people like me who have 5-6 friends every day playing Destiny, guided games and clans dont actually offer anything groundbreaking because I already have more people than I can utilize ready.

I just need new content and that fresh inputs to feel excited.

I really hope they have some surprises left for E3.

Par Score

Aren't most WoW expansions like that too...?

Not trying to take a jab, I only heard about something like this

9 is bigger than 3

f7a04d98b8a2b247c6ac18a0283434b3.jpg

19 years (just remembered that TF Quake originally only had four classes) and counting!

9 is still bigger than 3.

If Destiny launched with 9 classes nobody would be asking for more.

PSO Episode I+II didn't add any new classes, IIRC, although it did add new race/class combinations.

Went from 3 to 5. Which would have been an acceptable sort of increase.

BLCKATK

Having 3 classes is fine, it's the subclasses, the different archetypes that matter. And those have changed quite a bit while retaining their core ideas.

And we have no idea what they are adjusting for the other subclasses. We literally know of 2 Titan subclasses, 2 Hunter subclasses and 1 Warlock subclass. We originally had 3 of each.

It's way, way too early to get up in arms about this.

Koutsoubas

Having 3 classes is fine, it's the subclasses, the different archetypes that matter. And those have changed quite a bit while retaining their core ideas.

And we have no idea what they are adjusting for the other subclasses. We literally know of 2 Titan subclasses, 2 Hunter subclasses and 1 Warlock subclass. We originally had 3 of each.

I wonder what they could change in Stormcaller's Ulti. Its already an ability inflicting damage all the time, so maybe it will stay the same?

Or they could make it like fist of Havoc, releasing 3 big bursts of Electric Energy.

Terrorblot

Pretty much. I don't understand how everyone's immediate reaction to a games first gameplay footage is that we're looking at the entire picture of what will be included in the final game. Same shit that went on in the ARMS topics until the direct showed footage of plenty of content. People just looking for a pot to stir because they're bored or starved for details.

Anyway, to answer your question OP, as others have said, as long as they have varied archetypes for the subclasses then I think it will be fine.

Aranjah

I was hoping for at least one new class and at least one new playable race.
Eliksni, please. They lost the Traveler's light, we lose the Traveler's light. We can be buddies now, right? :D
Womp womp.

As is, I'm hopeful that the subclasses shake things up enough that they at least feel new. Which so far it sounds like they might? I'm trying to keep both my disappointment and excitement in check until the beta. If the rest of the game improves enough then I don't think I'll mind the subclasses much.

Yogg

Most games that add classes try to balance it so much over time that they start to look the same (WoW). In retrospect I'd rather have 3 defined classes with a lot of work into them, than many more with tons of overlapping.

Servbot24

Banned
Why is it assumed every new game has new "classes"? Seems like a strange and arbitrary expectation. A dangerous expectation even.

They should downgrade it to 1 class and just make classes something you make yourself with abilities and gear. I would read your thread about it.

Zakalwe

Banned
On the other hand for people like me who have 5-6 friends every day playing Destiny, guided games and clans dont actually offer anything groundbreaking because I already have more people than I can utilize ready.

I just need new content and that fresh inputs to feel excited.

I really hope they have some surprises left for E3.

Anyone who's had a regular group for raids will know that replacing a member during or just before a run is a pretty common occurrence.

I ran VoG with my core group around 50 times for a full clear, and I entered that raid twice as many times with other groups for full runs or partial clears, and having to replace a member was a very common thing.

Guided Games is going to be a fantastic thing for clans, groups of friends, solo players... everyone

Top Bottom