• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Gvaz

Banned
Oh nice! At first I was like...wait a second $30? fuck that

Then I see on amazon one dude is selling it for $20 shipped? much better

Now that you mention it...I have a modified memory card with all the goodies on it, why the fuck would I use my action replay to back the files up
picard-facepalm.jpg

Gyoru said:
Decided to test Valkyrie Profile 2 with the new multithreaded VU1 speedhack with FXAA enabled. 60 FPS most of the time although it still suffers when there's a lot of effects on the screen. The graphic issues are still present in the current revision.

pVQ8o.jpg

I literally came here to talk about Valkyrie Profile 2 on the emulator. I got mine to run great, but I still get slowdowns when I go all out on an enemy.

ymmv

Banned
ExMachina said:
Yeeeeah, as Gvaz said... it's pretty convoluted. I mention save transferring in the OP, though it assumes you either:

- have a PS3 + memory card adapter
- can boot a file manager like uLaunchElf on a PS2 (with an Action Replay, a boot disc like Swap Magic, FreeMCBoot, etc.)

...to copy saves to a USB drive.

If you have either setup and want more detail, shoot me a PM and I'll send ya the specific steps.

You then transfer them to your PC and use the program MyMC (http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/index.html) to add them to your PCSX2 memory card image.

I've got a soft modded PS2 with HD Loader and FMBC, which means I should be able to copy saves to USB and then use MyMC to load them into PCXS2. Great! I'm looking forward to playing (and finally finishing) FFXII in HD.

Thanks for the info. And you too, Gvaz.

Luigiv

Hey guys, I need could use help with FFXII. As I have things set up now, I get pretty good performance in game (a near solid 50fps [PAL Edition]) but I get slow FMVs (35-40fps). Is this a common issue with a known fix or is my PC just not fast enough or something?

I'm using PCSX2 0.9.8 r4600

My Specs are:
CPU- Core 2 Duo e6750 2.9GHz (OC'd)
Memory- 3GB of DDR2 878MHz (OC'd)
GPU- GTX275 896MB
OS- Vista 32-bit

The plugins I'm using are as follows:
plugins.jpg

Anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this issue if at all possible on my rig?

Well your CPU is definately on the weak side for PCSX2....these days a 2500k/2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz is needed to get 100% speed in pretty much all games (although there are still some that dont..Zone of the Enders 2 being one for instance)...

Also, update your GSDX Gfx plugin to version 4915, and make sure you use the SSE41 or SSSE3 setting, as this gives a 10% or so speed boost over the SSE2 version you have selected..

Also, PCSX2 does have quite a few problems with MPEG movie sections of quite a few games for some reason...just have to wait for it to be fixed by the devs.

Luigiv

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Well your CPU is definately on the weak side for PCSX2....these days a 2500k/2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz is needed to get 100% speed in pretty much all games (although there are still some that dont..Zone of the Enders 2 being one for instance)...
Yeah, my CPU is 4 years old already. I could overclock it a little further but I don't really have the patience for the constant tweaking require to push it to limits. I'll be upgrading when Ivy Bridges rolls around, anyway.

Also, update your GDSX plugin to version 4915, and make sure you use the SSE41 or SSSE3 setting, as this gives a 10% or so speed boost over the SSE2 version you have selected..
Cheers, I'll give that a shot.

Also, PCSX2 does have quite a few problems with MPEG movie sections of quite a few games for some reason...just have to wait for it to be fixed by the devs.
Oh okay, fair enough.

Gvaz

Banned
DeFiBkIlLeR said:
(although there are still some that dont..Zone of the Enders 2 being one for instance)...
SAD FACE.

I wanted to play that in high res....what about the MSG games?

Dascu

Gvaz said:
SAD FACE.

I wanted to play that in high res....what about the MSG games?
MGS2: Just get the PC version.
MGS3: Should be playable at fullspeed with a good CPU (i2500/2700).

Sethos

Banned
So, a few months back I was checking out the compatibility with Ace Combat 5 and it was still broken / missing a lot. Has there been any progress on this front? I'd love to replay this baby, so bad.

medze

It's pretty amazing how far this emu has come. I can run most games decently. It takes some tweaking to get the games to be playable or run well but this is on a Core 2 duo 2.0ghz with a radeon hd 2600. so, the fact theyre running at all is surprising to me, thoroughly enjoying Persona 3 right now, a series I had missed out on until now.

Even though a lot of great PC games are coming out, PCSX2 is probably the main reason I want to upgrade my rig.

I'm running FFXII with the setup linked in the OP but my text is kind of grainy. Is there anything I can do about that?

Also it says to set the window size to 976x690... how come?

Edit: is there a way to enable anti-aliasing? under "hacks" it is empty. I'm using the latest build. Also D3D11. NM i'm retarded, have to enable hacks in GSdx.ini.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hey guys, having trouble getting PCSX2 to recognize that my DS3 has analog sticks... all the other buttons are working correctly... so what am I doing wrong?

Ostinatto

Kagari said:
Hey guys, having trouble getting PCSX2 to recognize that my DS3 has analog sticks... all the other buttons are working correctly... so what am I doing wrong?

im using the lastest motioninjoy drivers + Xpadder
without any problems at all

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ostinatto said:
im using the lastest motioninjoy drivers + Xpadder
without any problems at all

Hmm. I have Motionjoy as well, but it's not recognizing the sticks for some reason...

Ostinatto

Kagari said:
Hmm. I have Motionjoy as well, but it's not recognizing the sticks for some reason...

make sure you are using the right modes for analog sticks.

296iu5j.jpg

it works fine with playstation 3 and xbox360 mode.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gvaz said:
Is there someway you can use a DS3 via usb? I don't want to buy a dongle
Yes, just make sure your PS3 is off or else it will turn it on if you ever unplug from USB while it's in sleep mode.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have it set to 360 mode and it's not working. I'll try another controller to see if it's an isolated issue.

B.K.

Gvaz said:
Is there someway you can use a DS3 via usb? I don't want to buy a dongle

Just spend the $14 and buy a Final Fantasy XIV controller from Amazon. Motioninjoy is a piece of crap.

Luigiv

Gvaz said:
Holy shit Killzone 1 looks that good on the ps2? is that DoF and blur I see? What the fuck
I dunno, I'm too distracted by the ugly inanimate muzzle flash sprite to tell.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Kagari said:
I have it set to 360 mode and it's not working. I'll try another controller to see if it's an isolated issue.

I have weird issues with it, even after the latest update. Usually have to reboot and reinstall the MiJ drivers each time I want to use it. Also need to turn off "Disable Driver Signing Enforcement" each time I boot.

It works great when it works, but it seems to be buggy to get up running each time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kagari said:
It's always worked for me but are you using the newest driver on motionjoy? You installed it manually in the driver manager? If so then I am having a hard time pinpointing the issue here.

Did anyone figure out a way to get rid of the overlapping shadows in SMT Nocturne?

Software emulation works fine but it's hideous.

jediyoshi

Luigiv said:
I dunno, I'm too distracted by the ugly inanimate muzzle flash sprite to tell.

It's pretty clearly animated, it's not like sprite based muzzle flashes in games at that time were made up of dozens of frames.

ChryZ

Sky Gunner isn't crashing PCSX2 anymore, runs flawless now with R4921

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R4921, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced
- GSdx 4921 SSE41: D3D11, 6x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default
- SPU2-X all default

Deinterlace: Bob tff, FXAA enabled

skygunneryffn.png

Mush

Sup.

I am a complete noob to all of this, so please be nice.

I have PCSX2 running with (I think) all the right folders and configs set up.

I have an original copy of the game I want to run, and I've checked that it is compatible, so I need to rip/burn/whatever it, correct?

DONT KILL ME :(

Mush said:
Sup.

I am a complete noob to all of this, so please be nice.

I have PCSX2 running with (I think) all the right folders and configs set up.

I have an original copy of the game I want to run, and I've checked that it is compatible, so I need to rip/burn/whatever it, correct?

DONT KILL ME :(

Sounds about right. I think you can run it from the DVD drive in your PC, but that can be slow (and by proxy, slow the emulator down).

cryptic

Can someone walk m through settuing this up?

I have a phenom 965 at 3.4 ghz and a xfx 5770.

I have motionjoy setup working with pc games but not for pcsx2. I have a bios already.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Skilletor said:
I want to try out The Bouncer on PCSX2. Going to hunt down a copy this weekend.
I wonder if they'res a way to eliminate that blurry haze filter I remember from playing it originally on PS2

ChryZ

Simpsons Hit&Run

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R4921, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced
- GSdx 4921 SSE41: D3D11, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, HW Anti Aliasing 1, Alpha Hack, Offset Hack, Skipdraw Hack 2
- SPU2-X all default

Deinterlace: none, FXAA enabled

simpsons_hit_and_runyuyx.png

Found this at a bargain bin and would not allow myself to pass it up:
ss-2011-10-12_03.13.09d4d5.jpg

Started playing Shadow of The Colossus for the first time and even though this game is old as hell I'm impressed with every hour that goes by exploring around the vast and open world, and I'm especially impressed with every encountered colossus along the way.

It's mind blowing that this game could even run on a PS2, a PLAY STATION 2. FUUUUCK.

My rig is: (built late 2006, CPU/GPU/RAM upgrade since then are included)
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Black Edition - Quad-Core Socket AM2+ CPU (SSE2 is highest supported for PCSX2)
ASUS Crosshair - Socket AM2/AM2+ Mobo
PNY NVIDIA 9800GT 1GB GPU
Corsair 2x2GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-18
550 Watt Kingwin PSU
250GB SATA Seagate Baracuda
Coolermaster CM Stacker 830 Full Tower (v1)

PCSX2 Setup:
-PCSX2 r4929
-config in the OP
-x3 internal resolution, no AA, DX9,
-speedhacks at:
ss-2011-10-12_03.04.29w5jx.png

FPS:
at first i was using DX10 which gave me 60FPS 50% of the time with drops to low 40s
then i tried DX9 and it gave me 60FPS 90% of the time with few drops in the mid 50s
-surprisingly DX9 didn't seem to change anything graphically for me, so free FPS, yay!

I'd post screens but they'd all be spoilers of the beautiful colossi in the game.
I <3 PCSX2GAF.

Well I've got some spare time and since Tekken Hybrid is coming and Aus will get some some TTT2 arcade machines soon why not get back into the tagging groove.

Tekken Tag Tournament

Specs:
i7 920 clocked at 3.2Ghz
AMD HD 5770
1920x1080 moniter
Some ram yadda yadda yadda

Just installed PCSX2 (r4918) so I'm just mainly using stock settings and I've kept speedhacks off. Using DX11 with GSdx with the custom resolution being 1200x1600 (Darn black bars :/)

I've just quickly hit up the training mode to see If I still got it and then went through a quick run of arcade mode. Click to enlarge images.

Result:

Mostly 50-60fps. I found it playable, I was able to do all my usual skills like ewgf, wavedashes and the combos such as ewgf, laser cannon, df+4,4 were quite easy to pull off. In some cases like Xiaoyu's stage where the camera pans to the merry go round it is quite obvious that there is a slight hit to framerate but it was still pretty manage able. The Icy level(Yoshimitsu's stage) is the worst offender however as the lag gets reallllllly noticeable; I think it went into the 30-40fps ranges for me during that instance. That stage is probably the only issue I can really say most about. The rest of the stages played rather well yes even Unknown's stage with the wolf and everything. Oh and yes the intro movie gave me the flickering garbage but I just quickly skipped it. :p

So i just finished up Shadow of the Colossus. the framerate held up nicely at 60 with few drops into the high 50's and rare drops into high 40's.

Epic game. completed first playthrough in almost 16 hours. Best 16 hours playing a PS2 game if my life, that's for sure.

Here's hoping team ICO never make a sequel.
2011-10-13_00001v2cxpc.jpg

Anyone tested King's Field: The Ancient City? Was wondering if there any emulation/performances issues before I start up a complete run.

Frost_Ace

So I changed the fps limit from the PCSX2_vm ini file but the emulator as soon as the game starts forces the 59.94 limit :(

how can I fix this?

Anyone got a good setup for Suikoden V? Want to reply and if one of you guys have a working config it save me the time of finding one myself :3

Can this emulator run games straight through the disc, or do you have to rip the games first? I want to try this out (for FFXII) if I end up buying my friend's old gaming rig, but I'm far from computer-savvy.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Jimmy Stav said:
Can this emulator run games straight through the disc, or do you have to rip the games first? I want to try this out (for FFXII) if I end up buying my friend's old gaming rig, but I'm far from computer-savvy.
Yep, though it's recommended that you rip the games for better performance. Look in the OP under the Booting a Disc heading and it'll explain how to run from a disc or iso.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got a new 6 core 3.5ghz Phenom to replace my 3 core, and I thought I'd see how much better my games would run in this. Even with the newest build and mtvu hack enabled, it's a barely noticeable improvement. Is there something I'm missing as far as seeing a big improvement?

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this here, but is there a thread for PSX emulation?
Also is there a MAC ver. for PCSX2?

Top Bottom