• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Confessions happen so rarely! You always have to assume. You should have learnt by now! Most of the stories are all about the journey not the destination. Hyouka was a great journey with a decent end, not ideal but decent storywise. The episode itself on its own was great. All the "artsy crap" was one of the reasons why overall the show was good. It's pretty superficial to just look at the ending like that. If you look at the dream sequence as something that will actually happen, then it speaks louder than an actual confession, because you already know how the characters are feeling, there's no need to say anything. This avoid the problem of saying it now, because it will probably happen down the line in the LN which would interfere with any future season.
that won't happen...but you got to play it safe...

I know, I know. Sometimes I just want my hand held a little bit by getting certification, lol.

This is more of an issue of it being a poor adaptation overall than a problem with the ending.

Fair enough. Has the second route played out any better?

Cornbread78

Seiren ep.6
That was actually a pretty cute episode. Much better than the first two at least.... These are much weaker than Amagami overall with much less direct relationship development. I really like the ED though!

phaze

I feel like a fight breaks out about Hyouka at least once a month, so it's hardly like it's been forgotten.

(People who don't love Hyouka are bad people)

I love Mawaru though, what does that make me ?

Fafner Exodus 09
0259791hkn8.jpg

Nerf pls.

I was promised despair but all I'm getting so far is good guys styling it up to the sound of intro songs. That's some bad advertising !

The CG can still look quite ... CG in spots but that's a small price to be paid for the scale, freedom of camera and amount of movement it enables. I'm still not a fan of the visual design of Festums but at least, as promised, the new types and tactics make the battles more engaging than hitherto.

TheChaos0

When was the last time an LN adaptation had a conclusive ending? Was it Durarara?

Shana and Durarara are the only ones I recall from the top of my head. Zero no Tsukaima came close, I feel like they wanted to finish the whole thing but the author could not finish it before he sucummed to his illness.

I know, I know. Sometimes I just want my hand held a little bit by getting certification, lol.

Fair enough. Has the second route played out any better?

A satisfactory answer. We are back on good terms then. ;)

Cornbread78

Fuuka ep.8
OSAmiC0.jpg

OH my, I'm going to gush a little bit here. This was the episode of the season for anything I've watched so far. The concert was excellent; full of emotion and hype. They did overdo the crowd hate a little, but the bands reaction was absolutely great. And that ending, my goodness.... Heartfelt, realistic, and just so much right about it. This was great. Like, really, really great.. It's a shame that this
childhood friend
is absolutely going to get destroyed by the end of the show. It's not even a question given the shows name. I'm sure the twist is the climax of this... Oh well, this episode was just excellent from start to finish and you could really feel where the characters were all coming from which is rare for a show to accomplish.

I was listing all RECENT shows within the past couple years (well, at least since I started watching anime)

Qurupeke

Full Metal Panic! 5-10
U18s4ZT.png

The best.
It's getting a lot more enjoyable. Seems like the show is more about the military unit, the various hostage situations, guns etc. and the robots are just one of the many war assets. Nevertheless, the fight with Gauron was cool. The current arc has another faction in the game, so things are getting more interesting. It doesn't seem to be just good vs evil.

The humor also has gotten better, though the laughs are coming exclusively from Sagara's antics. The concept is pretty simple and yet it works unexpectedly well.

Cornbread78

Didn't you watch Clannad, like, two years ago?

u4UB6LN.gif

Do I have to re-declare my undying love for Clannad to get you to understand? It's the greatest show ever made and has the best ending ever.

Now, with that being said, I was listing shows that have been BROADCAST of the past couple years, lol

Now go watch the latest Fuuka episode, you won't be disappointed at all! Hurry!

Full Metal Panic! 5-10

It's getting a lot more enjoyable. Seems like the show is more about the military unit, the various hostage situations, guns etc. and the robots are just one of the many war assets. Nevertheless, the fight with Gauron was cool. The current arc has another faction in the game, so things are getting more interesting. It doesn't seem to be just good vs evil.

The humor also has gotten better, though the laughs are coming exclusively from Sagara's antics. The concept is pretty simple and yet it works unexpectedly well.

Sousuke's antics here are nothing compared to how he is in Fumoffu.

In my lunch break I watched the Tweek X Craig episode of South Park, and they are so good together. I still laugh at how they asked for yaoi fan art and they got way too much.

zulux21

so it was mentioned a while back that the screener for the SAO online movie ended with sword art online will return.

well it's confirmed the real release does that
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...film-ends-with-sao-will-return-teaser/.112381

here's hoping the adapt the entirety of the next arc in one go. I can't wait to see the meltdown of gaf if SAO got like a 100 episode season order to cover that whole thing lol.

Sousuke's antics here are nothing compared to how he is in Fumoffu.

yup I like FMP in general, but fumoffu is one of my top series of all time, and for the most part it's a completely throw away filler series lol.

u4UB6LN.gif

Do I have to re-declare my undying love for Clannad to get you to understand? It's the greatest show ever made and has the best ending ever.

Now, with that being said, I was listing shows that have been BROADCAST of the past couple years, lol

Now go watch the latest Fuuka episode, you won't be disappointed at all! Hurry!

Thank you.

Now, as for Fuuka, unless the childhood friend wins, I promise I'll be disappointed.

I saw that new seven deadly sins episodes were coming to Netflix this month which made me happy because I like my generic battle shows. Turns out it's only four episodes and not a new arc. Well that's underwhelming

Cornbread78

Thank you.

Now, as for Fuuka, unless the childhood friend wins, I promise I'll be disappointed.

Just watch the episode... It's great!

You should already know the childhood friend is going to get absolutely crushed by the end of the show.. It's named after the other girl after all.

Did you watch both seasons or just the first one?

I rated S1 with a 5 because it was just a mediocre show, but still enjoyable to some extent.

I gave S2 a 3 because the first part is completely trash (almost unwatchable). Mother's rosario bumped the score a bit.

Not to dig this up but since I was still sleeping while you guys were discussing this.

I remember I first watched SAO when Toonami was broadcasting but dropped it after the first few episodes because I found the episodes pretty boring. At that point, all I knew about the series was that Ainclad was apparently supposed to be amazing and Alfheim had a severe dip in quality.

Fast forward to SAO2 premiering, everyone was hyping that up to being a return to form, so I decided to finally go in and finishing watching SAO. I honestly did not care for Ainclad much. Kirito was a pretty boring lead and I hated everything about Yui. And yeah, Alfheim was some hot garbage.

SAO2 had the exact same problems that the original one did, only this time the more likeable side characters were completely left on the bus so I had zero investment.

They're both like a 3 in my book.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 42

Well
Jasley
was quickly dealt with. The episode even had more than enough time to set up the the next couple of episodes.
Is it time for not-Gaelio to reveal himself?

Scum's Wish 6

While still being good, this is starting to feel a bit too tortured, too poly-amorous, and with characters being more and more... scummy?
Which it was something that I was fearing from the first episode, I know part of the series is about that, but until now I feel they hadn't crossed an invisible line of 'too much'.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It is the natural progression from School Days, where Makoto sleeps with everyone. In Scum's Wish, everyone sleeps with everyone else.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Actually that's not true. WWE apparently made an insultingly low offer to NJPW for their content on WWE Network to the point of the CEO of NJPW actively pushing into the US market starting this year because of how pissed he was.
That isn't true either.

They want to push into the American market because they're short sighted and forgot they were in the toilet 5 years ago. I suspect they won't really try but if hey did it would be a huge disaster.

pbayne

Gankutsou End

More Yaoi shipping than a CLAMP show.

Birdy Decode End

zzzzzzz. I did get a kick out of M.Night Shamyalam being the villain though.

Tiger Mask W latest

Give Naito and LiJ an episode already you hacks.
Lol Kenny Omega from Wrestle Kingdom main event to bun eating jobber.

Quasar

I was just referring to endings in general.

Don't get me started on the TTGL bullshit ending for the 500th; I love the show and we'll leave it at that. I just don't want to upset Nintendoman anymore today than I already have with my Hyouka slander, lol.

but yeah, your second reference are the endings that hurt the most. Those "Go read the manga/LN" ending hurt the most.
I would like to strangle the fu(kers that do that with 0 fu(ks given, lol. Looking at you SNAFU/Alderamin

Well I much prefer that to bad original endings. But then I am happy to read, and have gotten more more heavily into that. I'm now at the point where I read more than I watch.

I'm not really sure what the answer is given anime makes much less money on its own than it does drive sales of the original material. Do you instead only adapt things that are complete? And even then butcher the material so it can't be cut down to 13-26 episodes? Or should they not even adapt manga or novels and instead just make up their own crap based on a works premise?

Ironically I became more annoyed at how US comics don't get proper adaptations after consuming anime, manga and LNs for a few years.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 43

GASP!
The masked man who was obviously Gaelio Bauduin turned out to be Gaelio Bauduin all this time.
WHATATWIST.gif

Oh and
Ein is alive, sort of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What if the real K-On was the friends we left at high school along the way?
Kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume
Ookina kibou wasurenai
Juu nen go no hachigatsu
Mata deaeru no wo shinjite
Saikou no omoide wo...

I would have liked Hyouka more if the ending felt more satisfying.
He gets the girl! What more is there to want!

I don't foresee that this type of show will have a happy ending. Doesn't really fit the way the show is going about its day. It's going for a School Days type ending. I feel it. :(
It's melodrama, but I don't expect it to descend into jdrama-melodrama (melodrama^2?). It feels set up for the characters to learn about themselves and have moments of redemption. I just hope that doesn't mean everyone conveniently pairing off together.

I suppose if it goes full yandere, then the show was successful at being the biggest troll in a while. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom