• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
Okay, so going through the article:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-
There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Okay, that's basically it.

Nabs

FLEABttn said:
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"

gabe_newell2v7h6.jpg

FLEABttn said:
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

=(

1-D_FTW

Much in that list that is most unimpressive. Even more unlocks? Yay.

Do they at least mention if the maps scale for 64 players? Or are they just increasing the play count and having people spawn on top of each other?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
PC lead and animation focus are the best things for technical related info. Destructions is just alright I suppose

FLEABttn said:
Okay, so going through the article:
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
am I the only one that doesn't get this, lol. So the reason console doesn't have 64 players is because no one whined about it? Err I'm sure it's not some technical reason...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FLEABttn said:
There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
Today in things that need to be released in video form.

FLEABttn said:
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus

DOES NOT COMPUTE

EDIT: Also, wtf, no mod tools? Jesus Christ.

FLEABttn

Banned
Arnie said:
What's the art style like, are the screens in multiplayer? Where are the screens set.

Paint a pretty picture for me.

Modern, very detailed. Screens appear to be from single player. Most of the screens look to be in Sulaymaniyah, but 4 look to be vaguely European in locale.

Raide

Mr Sandman said:
Only 4 classes? Fuck. I was hoping at least for BF3 that half the people weren't running around with RPGs. 6 sounds great, but why not at least 5? I wonder how they're going to solve Rambo medics? Swap ammo and medkits between the two?

I am guessing Assault, Recon, Engineer and Medic?

FLEABttn

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
am I the only one that doesn't get this, lol. So the reason console doesn't have 64 players is because no one whined about it? Err I'm sure it's not some technical reason...

In the article, it does mention that they're letting PC users make use of their expensive hardware for 64 people, but the line before that is literally "well, the consolers weren't complaining /shrug"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
They better fucking hand out mod tools. I don't give a shit how complex the system is.

The mainline Battlefield series has always been the home of some stellar mods that lead to the creation of additional things. Eve of Destruction, Desert Combat, Project Reality. All three of those mods were highly influential. To not release mod tools during the lifetime of BF3 is akin to pissing in the wind.

FLEABttn said:
In the article, it does mention that they're letting PC users make use of their expensive hardware for 64 people, but the line before that is literally "well, the consolers weren't complaining /shrug"
well that's kind of stupid! Then again I plan to get it for console before I get it for PC and I'm not complaining about the player count. Still stupid explanation.

Dennis

Banned
FLEABttn said:
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.

-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.

-PC version is lead version

At least have 32 players on consoles and please no match making. I'll be getting both version down the line, but console version matchmaking is pure shit.

EVIL

-Pyromaniac- said:
I read that they arent giving consoles 64 player MP because of hardware limitations. apparently they had to make the decision of keeping the destruction system in or give consoles 64 playerMP. obviously destruction is a big deal (would kill gameplay if it would be removed) so they chose to tone the console version down by giving them 24 player MP instead of 64.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
derFeef said:
Bang, boom, spark and squish. What else dou you need?
They should have Medic, Assault, Recon, Engy, and Support at least. I guess we're going to have Medic as the strongest class again.

Arnie

I hope lobbies are in the console version too, I want to be able to play 24/7 Karkand custom games, hosted on EA's servers.

No_Style

Did DICE ever release mod tools for their other BF games? I honestly don't know. I checked Wiki and did a quick Google search and found nothing. I was under the impression that crafty folks willed their own way into BF2 and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom