• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 4 promo on FX channel grates on nerves of late-night watchers

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is this old? I don't know, I tried searching and scanned over the first page's thread titles.

If you turn to the FX channel right now, there's a big black screen with "IV" in the Grand Theft Auto font, along with the word "trailer" and a countdown leading up to next Thursday, March 29 at around 6 p.m. EST. Then there's Rockstar's GTA4 Web site listed below with the Rockstar logo.

With each second that counts down, there's a KA-chung, KA-chung, KA-chung noise that resembles the "24" countdown noise, but with less clang and not so much beep. It's annoying, until you've been listening to it for a few minutes and it just becomes hypnotic.

It's been on for like 10 minutes now, it's surreal. Did Rockstar buy up all of FX's airtime for the next 7 days and 15 hours or what?

raYne

Yeah, I saw it.

Might as well.. what's there to watch on FX?

edit:
:lol Just ended. Apparently it's supposed to be an ad.

Aww it just ended with a This Product Is Not Yet Rated.

Also it sounded nothing like a clock, it sounded like hitting a spike with a sledge hammer. GTA4 = railroad chaingang confirmed.

Tokubetsu

I wish I was paying more attention to it. That must have been alot of ad space though. It felt like 10 minutes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Whoa it just suddenly ended with a creepy voice croaking out "This product is not yet rated" then with an on-screen message that the preceding was a paid advertisement for Grand Theft Auto IV.

How weird. It probably lasted for half an hour. At 2 in the morning! Even though it probably cost R* like $5 to buy that ad time, it still says something about the coming advertising storm.

[EDIT] Their Web site's splash page is set up like the TV spot was, minus the RP logo and "Legal" link at the bottom, and with the countdown and "trailer" in white instead of red: http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

Sean

Banned
I don't see it and it's paid programming for the next five hours....

edit: ah i guess I missed it then

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's the FX channel at late night. :lol For the price of a few burgers, you could get your ad up there too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It was on from at least 2 a.m. until 2:30 a.m. EST. I assume it started at 2 because I tuned in at about 2:10 a.m. and most channels are still showing proper programming until at least 2 a.m.

Like I said, it probably cost $5 and a quickie. And the quickie was optional. Still, it's the most unique TV advertising I've seen in a while, especially for a video game.

I really hope this is a sign that the trailer will be aired on HDTV like the Halo 3 commercial.

I'm sure it will be a media blitz when the game is coming out, but it would be nice to see the full trailer simulcast on TV instead of watching it on my crappy computer.

Yep, it's up for Arizona time zone folks now. Looks like they bought 2am commercial slot time. Interesting, but strange decision to do it at that time of night. Wouldn't surprise me if this happens every night until the release of the trailer.

Tr4nce

1) You have a videogame channel?? Omfg. Awesome. When do we get one here in Holland?

2) Cool news.

3) One more week until the trailer! omg omg omg omg omg omg

0_0

Chris_C

Despite myself I find I'm getting excited about GTA IV. The only GTA I kinda liked was Vice City stories because the 80's was the greatest period of time in the history of the universe.

I'm getting kinda hyped up, too. Mainly because I really want to know what the location will be and what time period. I'm not going to bring myself disappointment by hoping for new gameplay elements and such to be revealed so early.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
A GAF Ad....

Just show the logo on a black bg, and then "BELIEVE" with a deep movie trailer voice.

I would totally pay for that.

Sean

Banned
I hope the trailer is something special, after waiting like a month and then Rockstar advertising it like this it better be more then just a short teaser.

----

Banned
{Mike} said:
In terms of creative marketing and money spent on marketing this puts GTA ahead in the race. Though MS hasn't done anything really for Halo yet. Microsoft is going to have to top I Love Bees for Halo 3. It will be interesting to see which one becomes the most hyped up game this year.

Goldrusher said:
TTIWWV :lol
FWIW IAWTP Video please.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
haha just checked it. Its up until 4:30 in the morning (i think). guess they took all the late night paid programming time to put this up.

GhaleonEB

---- said:
In terms of creative marketing and money spent on marketing this puts GTA ahead in the race. Though MS hasn't done anything really for Halo yet. Microsoft is going to have to top I Love Bees for Halo 3. It will be interesting to see which one becomes the most hyped up game this year.
I dunno the Halo 3 beta has turned a few heads. And it hasn't even launched yet.

Link

The Autumn Wind
bishoptl said:
It's the FX channel at late night. :lol For the price of a few burgers, you could get your ad up there too.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Top Bottom