• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

udivision

Remember the rumors about Nvidia screwing up and having to give Nintendo a cutting edge chip for cheap to compensate for their production mistake? Or was that still during the AMD NX days...

But it's "totally not a tablet" and no one should expect any tablet features from it...
What are you talking about?

I think we should get a clear definition of what a tablet is, it isn't just something that runs either IOS or Android, to my knowledge tablet is a form factor.

guek

Banned
Remember the rumors about Nvidia screwing up and having to give Nintendo a cutting edge chip for cheap to compensate for their production mistake? Or was that still during the AMD NX days...

That wasn't a rumor as much as it was speculation based Nvidia having a stock surplus

RobotVM

Great news all around. The Switch is already selling good and when it drops to 249.99 it will sell better. 3rd parties will come because of install base.

wiibomb

What's the reason for not going with Pascal? I'm genuinely interested in an explanation.

nintendo as a conservative company has always preferred to used old and proven tech that already has vast use compared to newer tech than needs more experimentation to iron out, they are always more on the safer approach.

RAIDEN1

So Nintendo closed the gap somewhat compared to the systems already available but not by much...there was a time Nintendo consoles could stand toe-to-toe with the competition when it came to horsepower....all that now is but distant memory....

And with the issue being that as it is this hybrid console will barely last what 2 years before it becomes out-dated or 3rd party engines are incompatiable with it, how long before the Switch Scorpio or Switch Pro....? By that time we'll probably be on PS6 and Xbox-Alpha..

Eolz

I'm more surprised by the fact that it has no customization at all, than it is a Tegra X1.
Disappointing from Nintendo and Nvidia.

So Nintendo closed the gap somewhat compared to the systems already available but not by much...there was a time Nintendo consoles could stand toe-to-toe with the competition when it came to horsepower....all that now is but distant memory....

Ya want some chewin' tobacco as you rock in your chair, old timer?

Yeah, never helped them either.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Nintendo competing on a power level doesn't make a whole lot of sense these days.

What are you talking about?

I think we should get a clear definition of what a tablet is, it isn't just something that runs either IOS or Android, to my knowledge tablet is a form factor.

I'm talking about the pages of threads of people downplaying the lack of apps and browser and other tablet features because the Switch is a gaming device and not a tablet, despite it clearly being a tablet as you mentioned. If it "being a tablet" adds a price premium to stock Tegra chips there should be more benefit.

finalflame

Gold Member
Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not surprising. The Nintendo getting a deal on leftover chips story made too much sense for it not to be true.

wildfire

Banned
So no "customizations"

Seems like Nvidia had so much Tegras that they went to Nintendo and said "Hey Nintendo we have this very powerful GPU for your new device". Nintendo just agreed. Nvidia laughing.

Nvidia laughing?

Tegra has had a troubled sales history because they were late 3 times.

Nintendo got Tegra at bargain prices?

guek

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

It's pretty obvious you don't actually grasp the difference between Parker and Maxwell

I'm talking about the pages of threads of people downplaying the lack of apps and browser and other tablet features because the Switch is a gaming device and not a tablet, despite it clearly being a tablet as you mentioned. If it "being a tablet" adds a price premium to stock Tegra chips there should be more benefit.

Ahhh gotcha, I misread the context of what you said aha

Malakai

nintendo as a conservative company has always preferred to used old and proven tech that already has vast use compared to newer tech than needs more experimentation to iron out, they are always more on the safer approach.

That wasn't true for the Wii U's silicon or the any home console before the Wii. Nintendo went with the low power consumption options when it came to their handhelds before the 3DS.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
And with the issue being that as it is this hybrid console will barely last what 2 years before it becomes out-dated or 3rd party engines are incompatiable with it, how long before the Switch Scorpio or Switch Pro....? By that time we'll probably be on PS6 and Xbox-Alpha..

How much of an impediment was any of that shit for the 3DS?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My simple take:

Wii U x 1.25, 12 x Vita while portable.
XBOne x 0.5 while docked.

I was hoping for some for some memory optimizations. Oh well, still a gen ahead of Vita while portable. But I'm not paying $10K MXN :( .

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
People were expecting that the chip in the Switch was customized because, you now, Nvidia said so themselves.

Thank god I didn't bite and bought it at launch day. I would feel very betrayed right now.

Not buying a console for the processor under the hood seems really weird. The games matter more than what it's running on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom