• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaden Smith is legit

Seeing way more jealousy than I anticipated. A lot of these responses read like cats are mad because they know he's living a dope life and they aren't.
"Cats" are mad jealous alright, lol.

It couldn't be the fact that the song is trash and Jaden Smith has said a ton of stupid shit which has made him the butt of people's jokes. Let's just look at a sample of his genius.....

I am not a Mayan, I'm a menace (menace)
It's wild, you can lie like a professor
I don't got the time to put you on the stretcher (stretcher)
I am here and I'm still flexin' (flex)
I am just an icon living

I'm still laughing at you using the word cats to describe people though, what are you a 60 year old jazz musician? I bet your white as fuck too. lol

highrider

Banned
"Cats" are mad jealous alright, lol.

It couldn't be the fact that the song is trash and Jaden Smith has said a ton of stupid shit which has made him the butt of people's jokes. Let's just look at a sample of his genius.....

I'm still laughing at you using the word cats to describe people though, what are you a 60 year old jazz musician? I bet your white as fuck too. lol

What exactly is white as fuck? I have a good idea but I’m genuinely curious.

What exactly is white as fuck? I have a good idea but I'm genuinely curious.

cohen.jpg

That's the best response you have?

highrider

Banned
cohen.jpg

That's the best response you have?

It was the only thing that interested me from your statement. I have a good natural filter for stuff that isn’t useful or progressive.

Edit: so just an old, pasty white guy, the photograph hadn’t uploaded when I responded initially.

Well let’s see..

I’m 50, just turned 50.
I’m 6’1 and can still dunk a regulation ball on a regulation basket.
I have a son who’s mother happens to be a black woman.
I grew up in Washington DC.
My picture is in my avatar, I’m of English and Irish ancestry
I’m a combat veteran, 3rd Infantry Division 85-92. Germany 6 years, Middle East I year.
My son is now 14, one of the best basketball players in America in his age group. He’s 6’3 and would very likely embarrass most good adult players
I’m a fan and student of hip hop. Did graffiti art for years and had a little breakdancing crew back in the day. I’ve been interested in the culture since the film Wild Style, like a lot of old “ cats “ it just continued throughout my life.
I’m an ex-convict. Did two years in state prison

I mean, you tell me how white I am. I’ve certainly had proximity to things in my life that are predominately black, and grew up in a diverse area. In the current vernacular white af suggests to me more of a type of behavior, than actually being physically really white. Based on this life, I found this song and video to be creative and dope. Not best ever, not the second coming, but legit, to where I would check for his music in the future.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont dig it.
He comes off cocky and arrogant, and not in a good way.Also the raps not that good and theres nothing special about the performance.

highrider

Banned
I dont dig it.
He comes off cocky and arrogant, and not in a good way.Also the raps not that good and theres nothing special about the performance.

I could actually respect this criticism and I partially agree. I actually thought the performance was leagues better than most of his peers in rap currently so we differ on that.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Pretty nonsensical lyrics overall, but hardly exceptionally bad - I'm not a fan of most modern rap, but this is actually somewhat decent. Flow is alright, beat is pretty good, what's the problem?

I'm 50, just turned 50.
I'm 6'1 and can still dunk a regulation ball on a regulation basket.

Now that's damn impressive. A 6'1" white dude dunking at all is rare in its own right - I'm one myself.

highrider

Banned
Pretty nonsensical lyrics overall, but hardly exceptionally bad - I'm not a fan of most modern rap, but this is actually somewhat decent. Flow is alright, beat is pretty good, what's the problem?

Now that's damn impressive. A 6'1" white dude dunking at all is rare in its own right - I'm one myself.

To be fair I have freakishly long arms and big hands so it helps lol

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I could actually respect this criticism and I partially agree. I actually thought the performance was leagues better than most of his peers in rap currently so we differ on that.

I agree that his peers are even worse, modern rap aint that good for me.

These rappers these days are just to, nice and well behaved, well the mainstream ones anyway.

I like me some fat boy action Bronson.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I first heard it when Lost in Vegas did their take on it. At first, I laughed, a lot, at how Jaden looked, and the whole Tesla in the background (couldn't he at least have gotten a Bugatti or something).

By the end of the song, though, I kinda dug it. Since then, I've listened to it a few more times and now I find it ultimately listenable.

I should listen to the rest of the album.

highrider

Banned
I first heard it when Lost in Vegas did their take on it. At first, I laughed, a lot, at how Jaden looked, and the whole Tesla in the background (couldn't he at least have gotten a Bugatti or something).

By the end of the song, though, I kinda dug it. Since then, I've listened to it a few more times and now I find it ultimately listenable.

I should listen to the rest of the album.

I got the sense that it was more like a costume with the gold and the grill. Like he’ll probably look completely different in the next video.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I got the sense that it was more like a costume with the gold and the grill. Like he’ll probably look completely different in the next video.

Yup, wouldn't surprise me. Someone mentioned it earlier tongue in cheek but it wouldn't surprise me if Jaden came back with "ok, here's what I look like when I'm not doing a caricature thing..."

Ombra

My opinion..

Dude is as manufatured as all the money in the world can get you.

He has zero originality which is basically the same for most of the patheon of mumble rap. The children of lil wayne and lil B are squandering the baton pass and intent on spouting off random cliches which end up being paraphrases of what the last hot mumble rapper said.

If this dude had actually bars against the sea of repetition emcees I would respect him but he ends up just blending in with the rest. His name alone is what gets him attention. He doesn't have enough tattoos drug references and money stacks to have made it any other way.

taizuke

At first i was put off by everything in the video but the more i came back to read the thread and heard the song a couple more times i started to like it. Now it's on my spotify playlist.

Kid is alright with me.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
You sound like you wana gargle his gonads.

Guys and gals let's tone it down and keep it civil. Jaden Smith is a good looking dude but lets keep the discussion on topic please. Mods are active and watching to keep the experience good for all.

Blam

His voice is dismissable. But his production on the new album is pretty damn good. Now only if he was a better rapper.

Top Bottom