• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone) Comments On His PS4 Project And DualShock 4

Mik_Pad

Banned
So I found this tweets from Mike Bithell the Dev of Thomas Was Alone, very interesting:
@mikeBithell: I do believe #project2 is looking good enough to show to Sony tomorrow... :) TO BED!
https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/329748042372763649
@mikeBithell: you'll know the success of this meeting in a year, when you are / are not playing it on your PS4 :p
https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/329749175707238400
@mikeBithell: I just held a ps4 controller.. Really nice.
https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/329953062011678722
@mikeBithell: can't say much more about PS4 controller, it was only a prototype, but it feels tight, suits my hands, and is rather snazzy
https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/329979978911469568
@mikeBithell: they've also done something aesthetically that I'm not sure I've seen in images online which I really love.
https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/329980096108691456

The last tweet is very interesting.

Edit:
@mikeBithell: Really good chatting to the guys.. and we even had a queue to try out my oculus.. if you're an indie, get chatting with Sony _now_
https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/329981383000866816

They got rid of the shapes and instead buttons have tasty breakfast foods om them.

PANCAKES! HIT PANCAKES! NOW BACON!! GOOD NOW FINISH HIM OFF WITH SAUSAGE MCGRIDDLE CAKES.

SmokyDave

@mikeBithell: Really good chatting to the guys.. and we even had a queue to try out my oculus.. if you're an indie, get chatting with Sony _now_
My Vita quivers with anticipation. Loving the moves that Sony is making lately.

Mit-

He planted the Oculus seed into Sony employees.

I really hope consoles become compatible with it. All they have to do is output to it like normal, the game just has to be built for it.

Eh, maybe Sony themselves won't have to do anything. Could just be a setting in the options for the game to change the display to Oculus Rift instead of normal and flat.

Socky

He says 'aesthetically' so I'd imagine it's something like the grip/covering on the lower half of the controller. That might be easily missed on casual glance at an image.

The last tweet is positive again. Seems like he's pleased.

Guevara

Thomas Was Alone was good, if not great. So I'm pretty excited about his future projects.

Also this confirms that Sony gets it re indies.

Superflat

Encouraging tweets! I'm in love with how the new controller looks so I'm excited to see what he was talking about.

And bring on Project 2!

androvsky

Oh god, I first read this as there was a queue to try out Sony's Oculus... :(

btkadams

Thomas Was Alone was good, if not great. So I'm pretty excited about his future projects.

Also this confirms that Sony gets it re indies.

yeah, i just played through it for the first time on vita and loved it. i can't wait for his next game.

also, i'm getting the feeling that the aesthetic he's talking about could be an led in the touchpad that lights up the playstation logo or something.

Calling it, Sony is getting huge indie support next gen.
To be fair they've had huge indie support this generation. It's just rarely debuted on PlayStation platforms. That's the real sea change I think, if we see an end to the 1 year console exclusivity bullshit then more power to Sony.

Salaadin

He went to meet with Sony and brought his Oculus with him? That makes me laugh. It reminds me of when youre a little kid and you get a new toy that you take with you everywhere.

All this indie positivity for Sony is nice. Im really looking forward to what gets put out on Vita and PS4.

ReaperXL7

Congrats on getting to develop for PS4!

What are the indie games confirmed for the PS4?

The Witness

Well so far we have Primal Rage, The witness, Blacklight retribution, Futurelabs (velocity, velocity ultra) confirmed they were doing something for PS4 on their twitter aswell.

I think the Day Z guys said they were talking to Sony too. I think we will see allot of indie announcements for PSV,PS3, and PS4 between now and PS4's launch, especially going off of Shahids tweets.

Thorgal

Wait ...he is not suggesting what i think he is suggesting is he ?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Well so far we have Primal Rage, The witness, Blacklight retribution, Futurelabs (velocity, velocity ultra) confirmed they were doing something for PS4 on their twitter aswell.

I think the Day Z guys said they were talking to Sony too. I think we will see allot of indie announcements for PSV,PS3, and PS4 between now and PS4's launch, especially going off of Shahids tweets.
Shahid is the man.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Calling it, Sony is getting huge indie support next gen.

They will have unprecedented support. Don't worry.

And as far as his comments about aesthetics, I've heard multiple and many good things about it. They seem to have the feel of it right as well as improved many parts such as the triggers, buttons, and sticks (no dead zone).

ReaperXL7

Shahid is the man.

Yeah, the guy really seems comitted, he even suggested that he was working on getting some larger 3rd party dev/publisher support for the vita, and he might have some surprises for us. He kind of makes the SCEA guys look like a joke, but they may just not be as public about what they are working on. Shahid on the other hand mentions a new game signing on almost a daily basis, allot of indies seem to love the guy.

Thorgal

indie developers continuing to pile on the Hype train.

originalvle9a.jpg

We are gonna need a second train i think.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Aesthetics comment is interesting. I expect the final controller to look a bit cooler than the prototype we've seen. It looks awesome functionally but its appearance is kind of goofy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Seriously. He's also working on something that's going to blow the doors WIDE OPEN for a lot of indie devs for Vita in the coming months. It's very exciting.

If it's what I know then it's very exciting. Or maybe it's something different but either way, big things are coming.

Cool, cool.

Stuart444

This thread helped me decide to get Thomas Was Alone via PSN+. (and Malicious since I was on the store).

If it's good, I'll keep an eye on whatever this guy does next (assuming this PS4 thing goes well anyway)

Top Bottom