• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS breaks 10 million sold in Japan after 98 weeks

Hobby

Enterbrain just announced it via Famitsu. 10,068,192 sold as of 1/6/13.

Dotted bars: weekly sales number
Line: cumulative sales number
Point indicated on graph is Animal Crossing: New Leaf's release date
Units are in 10,000 increments
4Fk8e.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201301/08026978.html

Pokemon will send it to the heavens.

This is how Nintendo will persevere even if 3DS/Wii U numbers are middling in the west.

Well done to Nintendo. Hopefully is starts picking up outside of Japan. I think that the closer Nintendo can get the system to the $/£100 mark, the better.

CassSept

is it tracking above regular DS?

It's very similar, someone would have to pull exact numbers to pinpoint the date, but DS crossed 10 million also in the last quarter before being 2 years on the market.

It will fall behind soon though as DS aligned enters 2006 holiday season, but it's still mighty impressive, especially considering doom and gloom.

VariantX

Well done to Nintendo. Hopefully is starts picking up outside of Japan. I think that the closer Nintendo can get the system to the $/£100 mark, the better.

I don't see it happening. The output in japan is nuts compared to other territories. The way releases trickle in markets other than japan will keep that kind of growth from happening anywhere else.

It's very similar, someone would have to pull exact numbers to pinpoint the date, but DS crossed 10 million also in the last quarter before being 2 years on the market.

It will fall behind soon though as DS aligned enters 2006 holiday season, but it's still mighty impressive, especially considering doom and gloom.

It will fall way behind but MH4 and pokemon coming up should ensure it sells some big numbers. Software wise it won't even be close.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, I think we can assume that 3DS is a success in Japan. Probably it will not match the insame DS LTD but it will be very strong. With good also if not outstanding neither great oversea sales, it will end to be a good product for Nintendo.
For consumers, considering how also the DS was almost based only on Japanese games, with the increase of the DD side of things, we'll probably continue getting a lot of Japanese love on the console in the next few years.

This year, 3DS will have in Japan:
-Dragon Quest VII
-Monster Hunter 4
-Friend Collection (sequel of a 3.5mln units DS game)
-maybe mainline Pokémon

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well, I think we can assume that 3DS is a success in Japan. Probably it will not match the insame DS LTD but it will be very strong. With good also if not outstanding neither great oversea sales, it will end to be a good product for Nintendo.
For consumers, considering how also the DS was almost based only on Japanese games, with the increase of the DD side of things, we'll probably continue getting a lot of Japanese love on the console in the next few years.

If the damn thing wasn't region locked at least some of us in the west could enjoy this success

OryoN

Wow, so 86 weeks prior, people were calling it doomed... seems like just yesterday.

tsk tsk tsk... always so hasty to judge.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If the damn thing wasn't region locked at least some of us in the west could enjoy this success

I think that the US market is receiving a good localization support, while the PAL one could see in the DD release of Japanes retail games a possible hope (considering Guild01 and the incoming Code of Princess eship release)

That's why Vita flies of the shelves there.

I really think that this post should be properly discussed to understand if Japan is really handheld-centric or not, and why Vita wasn't still embraced by that market (it's just a matter of time? or what?)

I really think that this post should be properly discussed to understand if Japan is really handheld-centric or not, and why Vita wasn't still embraced by that market (it's just a matter of time? or what?)

Well, it is. The fact that an handheld device is not successful doesn't mean Japan is not an handheld-focused market. DS and PSP sold more than 50 mln units last gen; 3DS is succeeding in being a valid DS successor, Vita is not.

Jonnyram

Does this really need to be discussed in great detail? I mean, PSP was essentially a success because of Monster Hunter. Nintendo saw that, worked out a deal with Capcom, and shut Sony out. Without Monster Hunter, PSP was a pretty niche piece of hardware, and that's what Vita is too. Vita will carve out a market for itself, but it will be smaller than PSP and magnitudes smaller than 3DS, unless the next big thing comes along.

GG-Duo

So if you are Nintendo, are these numbers going to satisfy you?

Will Nintendo become so region-reliant that they eventually ignore the rest of the world and only concentrate on Japan?

Top Bottom