• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Card Boy

Banned
NvqMUWz.png

The Pokémon Trading Card Game is a collectible card game, based on the Pokémon video game series. In the US, it was initially published by Wizards of the Coast; Nintendo eventually took over publishing the card game alongside the video games in June 2003.

Vtu2nQL.png

To get started, check out the official page. Basically:

• It's recommended that new players play the Pokémon Trading Game Online . It's a great way to learn the game, it's free and you get tokens from physical card packs (mostly XY series) to use in the online game.
  • For your first deck, you can buy a Theme deck, which is a simple prebuilt deck that contains 60 cards that is legal ready to play with.
  • Alternatively Pokémon Trainer Kits include two half decks of 30 cards that used to play with right out of the box. It also includes tokens, a nice coin and some promo cards you won't find anywhere else. In can double up as a singular 60 card legal standard deck.
  • To get your physical collection started, buy a Elite Trainer Box, which includes everything you need to get started including tokens, dice, energy cards, 8 booster packs and a nice box to store cards.
  • Many game stores will often hold Pokémon League events. There, you will be able to find other players in your area to both have matches with and trade with.
G3PEdPZ.png

If you want to build a standard season deck i would recommend cards in the sets below on wards. Cards made under Wizards of the Coast from when you where a kid are not modern legal cards.

tcg-2018-rotation-169-en.jpg

For a list of the legal set go here.

9QFzbTw.png

A standard Pokémon TCG can be won in one of three ways

1. Take all of your Prize cards.
  2. Knock Out all of your opponent’s in-play Pokémon.
  3. If your opponent’s deck has no cards in it at the beginning of his or her turn.
Kza8kDa.png

Each turn consists of 3 main parts:

1. Drawing a card.
  2. Doing any of the following actions in any order:
    - Put Basic Pokémon cards from your hand onto your Bench (as many times as you want).
    - Evolve your Pokémon (as many times as you want).
    - Attach an Energy card from your hand to one of your Pokémon (once per turn).
    - Play Trainer cards (as many as you want, but only one Supporter card and one Stadium card per turn).
    - Retreat your Active Pokémon (only once per turn).
    - Use Abilities (as many as you want).
  3. Attacking. Then, ending your turn.
L6xC8Os.png

In order to play the Pokémon TCG, you’re going to need to build a deck. Decks in Pokémon always contain exactly 60 cards — not a single card more or less. Your deck may include up to 4 multiples of any card of the same name. Cards used in this game can be broken down into three main categories (which each contain their own sub-categories). These three types of cards are:

Pokémon - These are the Monsters you will use to battle each other with. Remember once you don't have any Pokémon left you loose the game.
Trainers - Broken up into Item (e.g Healing), Tool (equipment you attach to Pokémon), Stadium (changes the field of battle) and Supporter (cards that provide various benefits) cards
Energy - Used to power a Pokémons moves and retreat costs.

C88IqFz.png

1. Name
  2. Hit Points
  3. Pokémon Type
  4. Evolution Stage
  5. Abilities
  6. Attacks
  7. Weakness/Resistance
  8. Retreat Cost
Additional Text – Some cards have additional game mechanics tied to them which are traditionally printed somewhere in the top half of the card. For example, EX Pokémon are Pokémon that are extra-powerful but, in exchange, give up two prizes when they are Knocked Out. An “Ancient Trait” is an additional card effect that is applied to the Pokémon possessing it at all times.

Alternatively, if you have a card called “Charizard-EX”, that counts as a differently-named card and you may play four of them in addition to your four non-EX Charizards.

CRbhBGh.jpg

uzoCAck.png

There are a few video games based on the card game.

Pokémon TCG Online

Pokémon TCG Online is the official digital version of the card game available for PC, OS X, Android and iPad. The Pokémon TCG Online business model is an interesting one and different from other Free to Play Trading Card games out there as you cannot buy digital packs directly with real money. There are multiple means of earning new cards and other rewards.

• Boosters and theme decks can be bought with Trainer Tokens in the game which is a free currently you earn for participating in Daily Challenges, Logging in daily, Trainer Challenges, Tutorial Ladder, Versus Ladder, Mini Games on the website, Random Battle matches in the Versus Mode and Tournament Mode, and the Bonus Whee at the end of a online match.
  • Physical packs such as boosters, theme decks, Elite Trainer boxes and Trainer Kits will contain a code that can be redeemed in game. A booster code will get you a booster of random cards, a theme deck will get you that exact theme deck represented digitally within the game.
  • There are often free codes given away via email monthly or by other random events. For an additional free starter deck use the code 'PrimalClash'. If you want multiples of the same deck visit this link.
Just a note on free cards obtained as you obtain these items for free, they are - in most cases - untradable! Untradable (locked) cards have a lock icon with the number of cards stated which cannot be traded. You can obtain tradable cards/packs by redeeming codes, winning boosters from tournaments, as a Wheel Mystery prize.

For a massive write on the online game look at the Bulbapedia page.

Gameboy versions

The Pokémon Trading Card Game was developed for the Game Boy Color. The game is based on the rules of the card game and features 226 cards from the game. The game was re-released for the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console in 2014. A sequel, Pokémon Card GB2: Great Rocket-Dan Sanjō! was released exclusively in Japan in March 2001.

vCbsJXs.png

Joyful

I played this a lot as a kid but my box of cards mysteriously disappeared one day I guess someone stole them but im not sure

anyway the GB games are fun, the sequel is better but untranslated. it has some cool matches where you are given extra rules to abide by
like that ff game with judges I forget the name, ffta2 maybe

Gravidee

I've recently begun getting into collecting Pokemon cards again. Haven't done so since 2001 or so. There's a Steam Siege prerelease event happening this weekend at a card shop I'll be visiting, and I'd like to get those early boosters and alternate art cards. Anything I should be prepared for? I've never actually played the TCG before.

Kito

Stopped playing the PTCGO a few months ago. Getting four copies of an EX was hard enough, but Shaymin EX? Not trading 18 packs for one card. I got by with Octillery until I just couldn't anymore.

I've recently begun getting into collecting Pokemon cards again. Haven't done so since 2001 or so. There's a Steam Siege prerelease event happening this weekend at a card shop I'll be visiting, and I'd like to get those early boosters and alternate art cards. Anything I should be prepared for? I've never actually played the TCG before.

Bring dice/damage counters and possibly energy cards if you have them.

I'm a TO and league owner in Pokemon TCG, but I haven't played properly in yonks.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was reading up on deck-building tips and was surprised to learn the classic "method" I recall that the old Starter Decks taught you---using two Energy Types, going with the pyramid style of evolution lines (3-2-1), and a 3/2/1 distribution of Pokemon, Energy, and Trainers---is basically wrong if you hope to play good.

That method I think is a little "funner" though, but it seems to preferred strategy now is choosing a main Pokemon line, and giving each stage an equal amount of cards, with maybe a supporting line or two, throwing in a small amount of Energy to support them, and then loading up on Trainers. But that seems to be because Trainers are far better than I remember the old ones being, stuff like Professor Sycamore is a surprising amount of draw power.

zoukka

Ah good memories on this game. Trainers were so op, Bills, Professor Oaks, Computer Searches and shit. I guess they nerfed them by introducing stadiums and supporters, so you couldn't spam 10 trainer cards per turn.

Voror

Most I ever played the game was the GBC game. I have a binder back home that has a bunch of cards. Mainly promos I'd gotten over the years like all the First Movie and 2000 cards.

Always thought about getting back in since I started doing Magic too, but just not sure.

RyanW

Well this brings back memories....of collecting because my friends and I never bothered to learn how to play as kids.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ah good memories on this game. Trainers were so op, Bills, Professor Oaks, Computer Searches and shit. I guess they nerfed them by introducing stadiums and supporters, so you couldn't spam 10 trainer cards per turn.

You still draw and search your deck like a beast, but the game is a lot better balanced around it. The expectation is you search and set up quickly, trainers are still huge.

ZeroCDR

Still have my ridiculous binder of cards from way back when, pretty sure it's mostly complete up through Neo set, but it's mainly a display of the first 251. I did play weekly at Toys R Us when that was a thing, so many fun memories. They had pin badges you could earn, I think I still have them somewhere.

I like playing this on our iPad from time to time still, and the GBC games are amazing.

I started playing the Online version since Pokemon Go came out. I found QR codes for like 17 packs in a drawer so I actually got to beef up my deck fairly quick.

It's a lot of fun. The art for the characters is terrible but the board, menus and actual cards are all great.

Anony

wow this topic was created just in time, i started playing after pokemon go reignited my interest in pokemon
i used to collect when the first cards came out but never played, the game is surprisingly fun

right now, i have 860 tokens right now, and i'm wondering what i should spend it on
seeing as to how i just started the game, i should really be getting a deck, but the gambler in me wants to get the 675 dragon booster special (4 boosters and extras)

i think this should go in the gaming side, the since the digital game is WAY more accessible

--- for no double post ---

i opened some boosters, and got this octillery, and seems like there's some good trades available, which one should i go for, i don't want to get ripped off, but these 3 seem like good trades
i don't want to get ripped off or anything (i dont know how card rotation factors into the trades, i dont want to trade something that will be unplayable after august 3rd)
also, this octillery seems like a solid card though, i dont mind keeping him

Card Boy

Banned
Some pulls i had from 8 Generations boosters.

YnHUMr5.jpg

The Mega Charizard Ex has more than paid for the investment i made into the packs. Rest is just gravy. (Machamp is Reverse Holo)

The 2 Jumbo cards make an A4 size so you can frame them easy.

It blows my mind the TCG still exists, but I'm so happy it does. I played it heavily as a kid and I think my all time favorite deck was a stall deck that relied on Mr. Mime (Jungle), Tentacool (Jungle), and Alakazam (Base). Basically, Mr. Mime was your active Pokémon and would never take more than 20 damage a turn. Alakazam would then swap 10 to 20 damage at a time to a benched Tentacool. The Tentacool would use its Pokémon Power to return itself to my hand, wiping out that damage. Repeat infinitely. A few other cards existed in my deck allowing me to shuffle my hand back into my deck to make sure I would not fatigue before my opponent. In the mean time, Mr. Mime dealt as much damage as possible.

And here are some of my favorite/rarest cards: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47001969&postcount=201

I haven't played since Gym Heroes 2 I think. Maybe it was around Neo's launch at the latest. I should get back into it.

You made me cry a little when i looked up how much my lost (possibly destroyed) Blastoise is worth. Then i got saddened even more at looking at the prices of Charizard.

To be fair, unless you had a shadowless Blastoise/Charizard, I doubt it is worth anything insane.

Though I haven't looked at non-shadowless Base Set prices in a while...

itxaka

Defeatist
You made me cry a little when i looked up how much my lost (possibly destroyed) Blastoise is worth. Then i got saddened even more at looking at the prices of Charizard.

Wait, are cards from the first sets pricey now?

I think I got the full starter + jungle set on first edition cards.

Any link to prices?

Card Boy

Banned

Any link to prices?

Just ebay. Depends of the set and card. Some Wizards cards will be worth a buck or two others like Charizard tends to be alot no matter what set it comes from and can into the hundreds.

Any link to prices?

If you literally have the entire base set as 1st editions in English, especially in mint condition, you're sitting on thousands of dollars worth of cards.

Edit: I'm not buying cards, but PM me or just post pictures of your collection here and I can help get a better ballpark value for you.

itxaka

Defeatist
If you literally have the entire base set as 1st editions in English, especially in mint condition, you're sitting on thousands of dollars worth of cards.

Edit: I'm not buying cards, but PM me or just post pictures of your collection here and I can help get a better ballpark value for you.

woooooooo

Now Im not sure if I got it in spanish or english, which sucks because Im sure in spanish the value is much lower. But I remember having the whole set in first editions.

Unfortunately my box with cards is back in spain, cant wait to go back and check them. Nice!

Also, wtf at the pokemon TCG for android not being compatible with my phone :/

I need my TCG fix!

Man the GameBoy game has the best music ever.
Seriously. It's very different from the main series but both games use the Gameboy's soundchip to the best of its ability. Fighting/Science/Fire Club, Club Leader, and Team GR Duel are probably my favorites.

As for the modern TCG, I'm getting back into it again. Last time I played seriously was when the Reshiphlosion deck from the HGSS/BW era was possible in standard and dropped it when the game shifted to bulky basics. It seems like they finally fixed the issues I was having with that and evolution cards finally have a purpose again (FC Delphox, FC Serperior) so that's good.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Im playing the tcgo buy just casually doing my dailies and saving coins for the new sets at the moment. Fun game but I do often worry the OP trainers still kinda spoil things when some basically have to be a staple of each deck.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
For those of you who don't know that's a Buddhist symbol that Hitler appropriated and flipped---one of the dungeons in Zelda 1 is also in the same shape, as is Cactuar inspired by the shape.

Rellik

Man, not sure I want to go down this dark road again after my quest to complete the Team Rocket collection all those years ago. (I eventually did)

Pretty cool they're still going.

N.Domixis

Banned
I miss the old simple design and the way holos look now looks cheap. Maybe one day they will do classic style editions.

XpopcornX

Banned
Have old cards went up in price because of Pokemon Go or something? I sold my entire holo collection from Gen 1 and 2 years ago for like $65 total on ebay. Now I can't even find a decent collection of holos for less than $500

fenners

I think they are releasing the original base set this November.

As a 'special edition' yeah.

My kids are crazy into the TCG + online game right now. My daughter's spending her own pet-sitting money on a new deck tomorrow, which makes me so proud. She's totally a gamer.

I played in a couple of events when I was a kid back during the ruby/sapphire days, and I'm kinda interested in getting back into it. I used to play at rockefeller center, it was a pretty nice setup. Anyone play in NYC? Where's a good place to go to events?

I recently bought a couple of packs of XY Breakpoint cards on a whim since i hadn't opened a pack of trading cards in a long time...and pulled a nice looking Ho-Oh EX (not full art tho). That kind of reignited the interest, so to speak. Is there like, an overarching meta for the pokemon TCG? Or do people just play what they like?

Wow. Time flies. They're up to 70+ sets now?! I was heavily into both collecting and playing early on. Have complete 1st ed sets from Base through Neo Genesis. Though Base isn't fully mint since I didn't start collecting until unlimited base (shadowless). So 1st ed Base is the only set I didn't fully pull fresh from packs. Also have sealed 1st ed booster boxes from each except for Base. And I'm pretty sure I have almost all the promos and error cards from that period also, aside from unique tournament cards and such. And of course the tons of extra cards from opened boosters and playsets for all my playing decks. They're all just sitting in crates now, but sometimes I'll pull them out to give some extras away as gifts to the little kids in my family who are now into it.

Yeah. I remember building decks that had trouble with decking itself (running out of cards to draw) before I could knock out all of my opponents' Pokemon. I'd sometimes play a solitaire game with one of my decks, where I'd try to draw my entire deck in 1 turn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As a 'special edition' yeah.

My kids are crazy into the TCG + online game right now. My daughter's spending her own pet-sitting money on a new deck tomorrow, which makes me so proud. She's totally a gamer.

Hahah I learned this and taught it to my five-year-old daughter just last weekend! She eventually evolved her Fennekin into a Delphox and wrecked me and it was pretty much amazing for her. She was digging for that Delphox and pulled it and I was so happy for her hahah.

Coming from Netrunner (and I guess Magic is even more serious though I never really got into it) this game is hilarious. Feels like a lot of games really do come down to literal coin flips though I'm sure that doesn't really apply at the high levels as much but it's at its core really swingy which is kind of cool for a casual game tbh.

fenners

Hahah I learned this and taught it to my five-year-old daughter just last weekend! She eventually evolved her Fennekin into a Delphox and wrecked me and it was pretty much amazing for her. She was digging for that Delphox and pulled it and I was so happy for her hahah.

Coming from Netrunner (and I guess Magic is even more serious though I never really got into it) this game is hilarious. Feels like a lot of games really do come down to literal coin flips though I'm sure that doesn't really apply at the high levels as much but it's at its core really swingy which is kind of cool for a casual game tbh.

Yeah, definitely swingy at our level. A lot comes down to lucky draws early in the game - get the right trainer to let you dig etc. A couple of times, my best cards have been stuck in my 'prize' pile which is unfortunate :)

But yeah, like you say, fun to see her learn & get excited about it.

clockpunk

Ah, I too got sucked back into the TCG - just before last Christmas, and cannot wait for next week's set. Evolved so much, yet is still basically the same, from its first edition, which I recalled with great fondness. Super game, that is a lot of fun, and extremely tactical.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes. And physical packs/decks give codes for the same in the online game.

Their monetization approach to the online game kind of cracks me up. It's not at all the "typical" IAPs. Like you can't even indirectly buy packs right? Just tickets for tournaments. And then every physical set has a key for online like you said...and I'm actually pretty amazed at how cheap some of the nice theme and duel decks are...really easy to get into the game from a financial perspective. Buy a $10 duel deck and suddenly you have 100+ new cards for use IRL (and the nice little coins and stuff) and online. That's pretty consumer friendly compared to what I'm used to.

(And of course I'm sure the above is the exact opposite at the competitive level, but hey gotta do that gouging somewhere! ;))

Might be my chance to finally learn the game since buying the first official cards that were released and never learned.

Cool.

Escargo

Any cool decks to make with the release of steam siege in August?

That bisharp card looks pretty nice. Finally introducing dual typing

Top Bottom