• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Heckfu was banned. My world has been turned upside down.
One does not simply ban a Heckfu.
I really wish DLC was handled differently in the Halo games on LIVE. It's so rare to get Reach DLC now, and there is no good way to fix it. They really should have just done what ODST did with CEA (by including the entire Reach multiplayer on a separate disc). It would have benefited all players.
Offer a better deal with more maps, and an essential guarantee that the maps with always show in MM, and you'll find people buy them more.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's where it comes down to 343 implementing the tools like a spectator mode to reduce the overheads of starting smaller leagues and tournaments such as those.

That would be nice but then we come back to wondering how important e-sports and competitive gaming is to 343. Honestly, it's low priority. The Halo life cycle machine doesn't really support it apparently.

Akai__

Just read those last pages...

RIP CyReN, heckfu, Tunavi and Halo.

---

Played a bit Halo 3 campaign, today. We have visited the man in the underwear, too. :lol
The easter-egg in the last mission/"Halo"

If you don't destroy the anti-air cannon, on "The Storm", the game will send you some marines with rockets, after a while and they will destroy it. We wanted to get on top of that cannon and we wanted to hijack a Banshee. Both failed.

That would be nice but then we come back to wondering how important e-sports and competitive gaming is to 343. Honestly, it's low priority. The Halo life cycle machine doesn't really support it apparently.

But it's a market that exists, no? I always thought tournaments like the ones MLG held created a lot of buzz. Or am I not seeing the big picture?

I guess I'm just curious, why are competitive/e-sports low-priority?

FyreWulff

One does not simply ban a Heckfu.

Offer a better deal with more maps, and an essential guarantee that the maps with always show in MM, and you'll find people buy them more.

Halo 3 had relatively poor DLC adoption until the Mythic disc. They need to start doing it again.

Tashi

But it's a market that exists, no? I always thought tournaments like the ones MLG held created a lot of buzz. Or am I not seeing the big picture?

I guess I'm just curious, why are competitive/e-sports low-priority?

If there was a Halo pie and you sliced that pie up, the competitive gaming slice would be pretty small. Dallas was an exception and I don't think is indicative of the pull Halo MLG events have. Also, 343 is no doubt working on Halo 5 for the next Xbox. What kind of resources do they currently have on post Halo 4 support and where does a spectator mode fall? Just a guess. They could potentially outsource it though. *shrugs*

u4iX

How important is file browser?

u4iX

Well considering it's an expected feature that's in the game but doesn't work, it should be high priority.

Yeah, and to me a spectator mode, or at least a more robust theater mode, would be along the lines of a file browser. On the surface, it might only seem like a nice feature to have, but until it's gone you don't realize how important it is to multiple communities.

Tawpgun

Yeah, and to me a spectator mode, or at least a more robust theater mode, would be along the lines of a file browser. On the surface, it might only seem like a nice feature to have, but until it's gone you don't realize how important it is to multiple communities.

Yeah but spectator mode or a more robust theater was never meant to be in the shipping game.

I'd love them but...

FyreWulff

How important is file browser?

It's kind of important if 343 and/or the Community Cartographers want to effectively collect content for their submissions to 343. And just for general sharing and discovery in the general community.

I thought I heard at first that it was simply not turned on, but we're nearing 2 months post release without it now....

Tashi

Right. And it sucks but ultimately these communities are small. However, a spectator mode would no doubt help these communities grow and become more important.

And I'm not saying that file browsing is more important than spectator mode to me, I'm just taking an educated guess about its importance to 343.

All I know is I watched some competitive BlopsII tourney for 10 grand last night and the spectator mode was great, they could cycle through all players or they could free roam I believe, and they could also put an overhead on that showed the entire map and arrows of where everyone was so you could get a picture of what was going on in the larger scale of things.

It was really great actually, when players were stalemating over an objective they would overhead it and show whats going on what each player was doing.

Real cool stuff.

Alone with "working" kill cams and final kill cam and it was actually pretty damn exciting.

Seriously what the hell is with killcams in Halo 4 are they in game or are they not? Are they going to be universal or what? Get your settings straight sustenance TEAM. Jesus Hire me, fuck. End post. I'm getting too mad.

Multikills from beyond the grave have been in since Halo 3 people. The whole modded instant respawn gametype in it allowed for them. How else are you supposed to get those Double Kill From the Grave achievements?

Cherry picking ugly spots outside the normal playspace in Spartan Ops of all things hardly invalidates anything.

Unless you were just joshin, then please proceed.

Joking more or less. Most of the things inside the intended play space look beautiful (though some textures look pretty bad).

Btw, that picture was taken while looking over a ledge. I'd hardly call it outside of the normal play space.

Tashi

Yeah I know, I'd love to be able to harvest and answers out of 343 regarding that issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Ehh that doesn't quite fit. What does 343 get from the small competitive community? Our % is tiny considering the millions of copies Halo sells. What are we ultimately worth to 343?

And regarding the first part about getting answers from 343, you really wouldn't get much. They probably made a list of things that they wanted in the game. Then ranked them in terms of importance. Either spectator mode was added too late to that list or was too low in priority to have spend resources on. I honestly don't think there's much more to it than that.

Multikills from beyond the grave have been in since Halo 3 people. The whole modded instant respawn gametype in it allowed for them. How else are you supposed to get those Double Kill From the Grave achievements?

You can continue your multikills up to respawn in other Halos so yea if you have a double you can get a trade beatdown still die and youll get the triple, however upon respawn you cant get a quick kill to keep it going, it will restart at a single kill you wont get the Overkill. Except for Halo 4 has changed (Of course)

I know from Octogon in H3 even if you get a kill die and respawn and get a kill instantly it will be within four seconds but you dont get a double kill.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yeah I know, I'd love to be able to harvest and answers out of 343 regarding that issue.

They shouldn't even consider spectator mode until they deliver the features promised in the shipped product.

New features are nice and all, and I fully agree with every point raised about how beneficial they are and to be honest, such a feature should have been in the shipped product. It wasn't though and until they get the base features up to snuff they shouldn't be worrying about expanding about the game at all.

Considering the DLC for the game is mapped out, and next year sees the end of it, I wouldn't be surprised if 343 dumped Halo 4 in terms of support for next holiday season's Halo game on the Durango, to be announced at E3.

Maybe if we ask nicely we'll get new features put into that game instead.

Enfinit

I go on vacation for four days and people are dead, virgin > mlg, and everyone looks like heckfu.

I missed one hell of a party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom