• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

If you hear clear audio pop then it isn't how it's supposed to be, but is bugged.

Uninstalling 4k video pack fixes it and makes those few seconds clip play out like intended.

yeah...I uninstalled the 4K Cinematics DLC and those little clips no longer have the audio pop at the end

I did the following
1- i set the .exe to 'disable dpi scaling'
2- ran the game, but it still crashed on startup
3- it created the .cfg in documents thankfully. I set it to borderless and so far no crashes but we will see

I’ll try this when I get home, but I think verifying the game vi steam fixed my issues finally.

Anyone with a 980ti? How does it run?

It runs well. I actually am running it at 4K but with dynamic resolution and 60 FPS target - I suspect it’s more frequently running around 1440p as that was the highest resolution I could push without noticing drops. Everything maxed except textures because for some reason those are barred unless you have 8GB VRAM.

I tend not to really optimize settings when dynamic resolution is included, but I can test out more specific settings if you need me to.

dEvAnGeL

I’ll try this when I get home, but I think verifying the game vi steam fixed my issues finally.

It runs well. I actually am running it at 4K but with dynamic resolution and 60 FPS target - I suspect it’s more frequently running around 1440p as that was the highest resolution I could push without noticing drops. Everything maxed except textures because for some reason those are barred unless you have 8GB VRAM.

I tend not to really optimize settings when dynamic resolution is included, but I can test out more specific settings if you need me to.
Thank you, i would appreciate to know what settings can give me a locked 60 at 1440p, i have the 980ti paired with a i7 2600k at 4.5 and 16 gigs of ram.

4690k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB and GTX 1080.

Running everything on Ultra aside from shadows which are high, just so the vram usage dips below 8gb slightly. Running FXAA instead of TAA.

Runs at a solid 60fps at 1080p. Not really surprising performance, and the 4k textures look sharp.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how do you actually install the hd texture pack? Mine says it downloaded but isn't installed.

You're not basing that on the in-game texture quality setting, are you? Its description doesn't change based on whether the pack is installed.

I think he's referring to the VRAM usage meter in the OP. 8266MB is only a smidge higher than 8192MB, though, so it's very possible 8GB is actually just enough.

dr_rus

About AB/RTSS OSD problems:
https://forums.guru3d.com/posts/5480368 said:
Got Shadow of War purchased, downloaded and installed and nailed it down. The problem is that it is the first D3D11 engine, which is using Direct3D 12.1 feature level. My OSD renderer fail to compile shaders in such case and cannot display OSD. I've already patched it, it will be addressed in new RTSS beta.

My really shitty Threadripper build
1950x oced to 4.0
32gigs of 3200
GTX 1080

Runs the benchmark at 26 fps at 1440P.

Actually it runs all games horribly. Changing to 1080P does nothing. Still bad performance. I have no idea anymore.

Mookow

1950x oced to 4.0
32gigs of 3200
GTX 1080

Actually it runs all games horribly. Changing to 1080P does nothing. Still bad performance. I have no idea anymore.

Yeah, seems like we are in the same boat with my 1800x/1080ti. Something isn't right, and I don't know what to check/change now. Resolution and settings drop doesn't improve FPS.

FHIZ

1950x oced to 4.0
32gigs of 3200
GTX 1080

I’ve got no idea about threadripper shit, but isn’t there some game mode that disables half the cores? Would that help?

Thank you.

Actually a bit different for me - 980ti and an i7 4790, 1440p was hovering between 55 and 44fps, avg 52. Sorry I ran it before with the dynamic resolution on. This is with everything maxed but textures so you could probably get it locked with either dynamic res or by turning down some settings.

spad3

You're not basing that on the in-game texture quality setting, are you? Its description doesn't change based on whether the pack is installed.

I think he's referring to the VRAM usage meter in the OP. 8266MB is only a smidge higher than 8192MB, though, so it's very possible 8GB is actually just enough.

this guy got it.

It's like 74 MB over the threshold, and I don't know how the bleedover works so I'm afraid to enable it cuz I don't want to face any problems for doing so.

Tizoc

So far what causes the most impact to FPS? I'm averaging 40 FPS, which isn't bad and at least it isn't choppy, though I'd like to know what I can trim down to get it 50-60 FPS.

Nheco

So far what causes the most impact to FPS? I'm averaging 40 FPS, which isn't bad and at least it isn't choppy, though I'd like to know what I can trim down to get it 50-60 FPS.

I think it's mesh quality, lightning and ambient occlusion.

Also, what's your rig?

Hehe it's pretty neat how the game lets you supersample from 8K or even 16K. I tested 8K for shits and giggles. It was about 20-30FPS on the 1080Ti :D

JaseC

Also might be worth adding to the OP that I resolved my consistent crashing (app hang per Event Viewer) by removing my CPU overclock and running at stock settings.

That's not an issue with the game itself per se but rather one of hardware stability. It's not uncommon for an unstable overclock to be more of a game-specific problem than a general one. I myself can attest to that!

That's not an issue with the game itself per se but rather one of hardware stability. It's not uncommon for an unstable overclock to be more of a game-specific problem than a general one. I myself can attest to that!

True but it was something I overlooked for hours while trying to find the issue and this is the first time in 2+ years of 24/7 operation this OC caused a problem. Far more demanding games have had no issues at all with it (and very recently as well).

I meant it as more of a reminder to those who forgot, like myself.

JaseC

True but it was something I overlooked for hours while trying to find the issue and this is the first time in 2+ years of 24/7 operation this OC caused a problem. Far more demanding games have had no issues at all with it (and very recently as well).

I meant it as more of a reminder to those who forgot, like myself.

Ah. To be honest, I don't think the tips and tricks section is really the place for general troubleshooting advice, but I'll throw something in there if the game causes headaches for others with overclocked hardware.

VSG

Neo Member
thought i was going blind. spent more time checking the textures than playing

Ansel and the in-game screenshot modes do seem to be positively affected by it, so that's basically it then. If/when I buy the game for myself, I will not bother downloading the texture pack.

SomTervo

thought i was going blind. spent more time checking the textures than playing

They honestly don't. We just published our benchmarks (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Middle_Earth_Shadow_of_War/), and after ~30 min of basically pondering over zoomed-in 4K screenshots it doesn't do much. Perhaps for Ansel, but not worth it for gaming even though there is minimal performance hit from it.

Thank god. That's 30GB saved.

dr_rus

They honestly don't. We just published our benchmarks (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Middle_Earth_Shadow_of_War/), and after ~30 min of basically pondering over zoomed-in 4K screenshots it doesn't do much. Perhaps for Ansel, but not worth it for gaming even though there is minimal performance hit from it.

I can't even download them, either the textures pack or the cinematics one. If I hit "Download" either in a browser or inside the Steam client it just launches the game without anything being downloaded anywhere. Great job again, WB.

There is a difference between high and ultra textures. You don't need to look far to see it. Difference becomes more pronounced as you go up in resolution or supersampling.
See ornaments on his clothing, stars, squares, see ornaments on his big belt and huge belt buckle. Everything looks more pronounced and crisper with Ultra textures. Basically once you start seeing it you'll notice many things appear less blurry on Ultra.

High
shadowofwar_2017_10_18eksm.png

Ultra
shadowofwar_2017_10_109ka0.png

dr_rus

I can't even download them, either the textures pack or the cinematics one. If I hit "Download" either in a browser or inside the Steam client it just launches the game without anything being downloaded anywhere. Great job again, WB.

Found a workaround via browser install request:

For 4K Cinematic movies: steam://install/666840
For high-resolution texture content: steam://install/561950

High vs Ultra texture comparison continued. See orc's shoulder pad, especially red paint. Another very interesting difference is a piece of cloth (leather?) underneath the shoulder pad. On ultra texture setting it has more finely detailed edges, where as on high textures edges appear very straight and polygonal.

High
shadowofwar_2017_10_1jmjf5.png

Ultra
shadowofwar_2017_10_1gtjzm.png

The 4K cinematics should be standard, they look so much better than the default ones, it's so jarring going from gameplay to the old 1080p renders.

There is a difference between high and ultra textures. You don't need to look far to see it. Difference becomes more pronounced as you go up in resolution or supersampling.
See ornaments on his clothing, stars, squares, see ornaments on his big belt and huge belt buckle. Everything looks more pronounced and crisper with Ultra textures. Basically once you start seeing it you'll notice many things appear less blurry on Ultra.

I honestly can't tell the difference.

Also, ultra textures demanding more than 8gb vram render it inaccessible for many of us.

Iceternal

How !?

I get drops to 54 fps in Minas Ithil on 1080p...

I haven't enabled dynamic res though...

VSG

Neo Member
I honestly can't tell the difference.

Also, ultra textures demanding more than 8gb vram render it inaccessible for many of us.

It just says that, you can still run the game with those textures on even a GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB VRAM. We didn't have a GTX 1060 with 3 GB memory, so not sure about that though.

Top Bottom