• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

Don't know how reliable GamerXchange is, obviously I've never heard of it, still considered a rumor nonetheless:

With the one year anniversary of the PlayStation Vita fast approaching in North America, sources (who have requested that we keep anonymous) have hinted at the possibility of an upgraded model coming sooner than most may have expected.

Although the credibility of this report comes into question by myself and my colleagues, these are the details nonetheless:

• A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
  • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
  • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
  • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
  • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.
  • According to the source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same. As for the 4G model, the regions where it will be available, in addition to info on any data plan pricing was not available.
As stated before, this is a rumor and credibility comes into question, so take it with a whole pile of salt, if you would like; But it should be interesting if it really pans out. We will reach out to Sony to see if they have any comment on this.

http://gamerxchange.net/2013/02/04/rumor-4g-vita-plus-firmware-update-to-be-revealed-soon/

Something interesting from Patent Bolt:

NOTE: Yes this is a picture of the devkit. However, it appears Sony has published a new patent on February 7th.

On February 7, 2013, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Sony that is technically about the PlayStation Vita and their new and upcoming connectors. Sony states that the connectors are for "connecting the electronic apparatus to peripheral apparatuses" at the bottom and side surfaces of the device housing. Sony's patent filing specifically states that the next generation PS Vita will gain USB, HDMI and a power supply connector described as a parallelepiped connector.

6a0168e68320b0970c017d40dc8fb4970c-800wi

Sony's patent application was originally filed in the US in Q3 2012 but months earlier in Japan. The photo above was taken from Sony website on February 7, 2013. It's juxtaposed to Sony's patent figures 1 and 2 which expose the new ports. In comparison, we see the new ports clearly.

Source

The_Monk

This is very interesting, I'm just waiting for a little price drop on Vita and on a memory card.

I already have a Backlog thanks to PS Plus.

Foshy

I thought that was just the dev-kit?

Anyway, if true, I welcome the memory card price-cut with open arms
even though I've just bought a 32 GB 4 days ago

A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.

I don't think that this will help.
Cut the price on memory cards will though.

LevityNYC

Banned
Still trying to get people to buy a cellular data capable device?

for shame.

I love my WiFi Vita and a lot other people love their Vitas as well.

Can we all agree that the 3G version was a complete waste?

NBtoaster

the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249

ugh

First of either 3DS or Vita to get a price drop I will buy. This does not constitute a price drop.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
New hardware won't do anything on it's own. They need attractive new software to stop the platform dying.

Majine

Banned
Still trying to get people to buy a cellular data capable device?

for shame.

I love my WiFi Vita and a lot other people love their Vitas as well.

Can we all agree that the 3G version was a complete waste?

The idea of a cellular dedicated handheld is appealing to me, but 3G is not enough for online multiplayer, and I fear it's too late now with 4G.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
HDMI in a consumer model? That's cool. I just want to know what these other ports on the current model are.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't want Vita to ruin PS4's conference

NO NO NO
Don't worry, Vita will get the same amount of exposure this year as it did last year.

Also title makes it sound like they patented memory card price cuts.

Well, it's nice that they're trying, but a new, more expensive SKU entirely misses the point of why Vita's not selling.

Taking it away from mass market prices is a bad move.

Foetoid

Neo Member
I really doubt this is true. Sony are losing money enmasse, they're share prices are awful, and even in Japan, the general consensus among the public is that Sony have lost their way and are now junk. The Vita already isn't selling, and its not because of the hardware, its a lack of software. Even when the Vita does sell, it sells at a loss, the Ps4 will likely also sell at a loss. They can't afford both as it is, nevermind another Vita also selling at a loss. If they're going to upgrade the Vita, they should replace the current one.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, was going to find it but I'm heading out to work right now lol. The serial number is in the OP if you can find it.
I've searched and searched. It's not in the USPTO's register as far as I can see.

EDIT: The serial number provided in the article was inaccurate. The filing's there, the serial number is 559772.

AOC83

Banned
A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.

Can´t be true, there is no way Sony is this retarded.

Top Bottom