• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LinkedIn: Supermassive Games doing "AAA" game for "next generation Sony console"

Carl

Supermassive games are getting a lot of Sony funding and projects. I like what they've done so far. Seems like one to watch.

Yup they've done some pretty decent stuff this gen. Looking forward to seeing what they can do with a next-gen console.

meta4

http://www.supermassivegames.com/index.php/games

I'm kinda interested in until dawn, but it seems it's not the best developer to be claiming AAA status. we'll see i guess.

We will never know how talented these studios are until they are give a reasonable budget to fulfill their vision. We know SSM, ND, GG, Sucker punch, MM, PD etc will always be given AAA budgets. Lets see if these guys make a great game with that budget and join the ranks.

Can't really say how good they are or not. Seem to have been scraping together contracts with small party games. based on their portfolio so far, but that's what a lot of start ups have to do.

We will never know how talented these studios are until they are give a reasonable budget to fulfill their vision. We know SSM, ND, GG, Sucker punch, MM, PD etc will always be given AAA budgets. Lets see if these guys make a great game with that budget and join the ranks.

yes, i agree. i just wish some of these studios try to play it a little more safe. some of these developers are sucked into making average to good games nowadays by sony (like lightbox and eat sleep play - sorry jaffe, i love you man, but i didn't think twisted metal was that fun nowadays, i loved them back on ps1 though! - and i feel superbot is going to suffer too) so i hope they do well.

Remember guys, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica etc all started somewhere. That's not to say they'll crack out something incredible, but given a bigger budget and the time, it could turn out to be really good.

Orca

Sony is going to flex their muscles the first year of the PS4. Do not be surprised if you see a major exclusive title every month.

People said the same kind of thing when the PS3 and Vita launched - depth of studios, nonstop support, etc... Doesn't seem like it's really feasible to provide that deluge of titles.

Draft

I think "AAA" is being thrown around way to much these days.
It is, but not in the way I think you're suggesting. AAA is not a quality grade, it's a level of funding. An AAA product will cost $30 million dollars (or some other astronomical amount of money.) It will have a massive marketing budget. It will be a tent pole release, and so on. It may be a piece of shit, but it will be a very expensive piece of shit.

There are too many AAA games for the existing gaming audience, that is for sure.

There's more than one of these things?
Yes, the "Wonderbook" is supposed to be supported by a series of games. Book of Spells was the first, beyond that Walking with Dinosaurs, some Disney thing, and an original IP called Diggs Nightcrawler have been announced so far.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Unproven studio and the overuse of AAA. Neither of us have evidence.
But they aren't unproven. They are proven to be not so good with Doctor Who. ;-)

(Yes yes, maybe budget and time constraints. Still not a good track record.)

Derrick01

Banned
My guess is some old Sony IP they're bringing back and can't be bothered to have their big studios make it. Stuff like Jak or Syphon Filter.

Either that or their definition of AAA is a lot different than mine and it's wonderbook 2 or some shit.

Top Bottom