• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Rich!

Like all homebrew and modification, INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. Nintendo so far have shown they will not ban any users for hacking Wii mode on the Wii U, but it may void your warranty. This is purely a modification of the Wii Mode on Wii U and will not touch or affect anything on Wii U mode at all in any way whatsoever.

Thought this would clear up a few things.

Q: Can you play GameCube games on the Wii U?

A: Yes, you can. Through the wonders of homebrew.

iyffjvg5KaNu3.JPG

Nintendont is a homebrew application for the Wii (and thusly, the Wii U via Wii mode) that takes advantage of the fact that the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii...which means it's also fully backwards compatible with the GameCube. Yes, that's right - the Wii U can play GameCube games natively. No emulation here.

From the Official Site

loader.dol (rename to boot.dol)
meta.xml
icon.png (add these to the apps/nintendont/ folder on your SD card)

Features:

Play audio via disc audio streaming
Full speed loading from an USB device, or a SD card
Loads 1:1 and compressed .ISO disc images
Works on Wii and vWii on Wii U
Loads games as extracted files (FST)
Memory card emulation
Bluetooth controller support (Classic Controller (Pro), Wii U Pro Controller)
HID controller support via USB
Custom button layout when using HID controllers
Cheat code support
WiiRd (only on Wii)
Changeable configuration of various settings
Reset/Power off via button combo (R + Z + Start) (R + Z + B + D-Pad Down)
Advanced video mode patching, force progressive and force 16:9 widescreen
Auto boot from loader
Disc switching
Allow use of the Nintendo GameCube Microphone
Use real memory card

Yep. That's a lot. Nintendont supports Wii U Pro Controllers, Classic Controllers, Dualshock 3, Wii Remotes and even GameCube controllers via adapters (and the upcoming official adapter will likely work too). Nintendont can also play games in widescreen, and emulate the memory card. No gamecube ports or memory card ports on the console? Who cares. Homebrew!

How to set up:

I will assume you already have the homebrew channel installed on your Wii U. If not, have a look at this guide. All you need is an SD card and one of these selected games:

Wii U
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
LEGO Indiana Jones
LEGO Batman
LEGO Star Wars
Tales of Symphonia
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers

Wii:
As above, plus LetterBomb is available as an exploit too.

Firstly, you need your gamecube games in ISO format. You can rip your collection using a homebrew'd Wii console and Cleanrip. I will not discuss finding ISOs by other means, as it's against NeoGAF rules, and it's bad to do.

So, you've got the games ripped onto your USB stick or SD card. Excellent! You now have TWO GLORIOUS OPTIONS.

The 1:1 quick and easy option, or the "I have a mac" option:

When loaded directly Nintendont looks for games at:

sd:/games/<anything>/game.iso

shove your ripped isos there. one folder per game.

The compress my shit I want more space option:

You need GCIT, a windows app. Using this application, open each ISO and send it to your SD card or USB stick in a folder called GAMES on the root of the card. Select it to transfer in DiscEX format which Nintendon't can read. It's really quick to do this.

Almost there! Download the newest version of Nintendont. (always updated at this link)

Put this into your sd card in /apps/nintendont - name it boot.dol. Download metal.xml and icon.png and put those into the same folder.

now load up the Wii U, go into Wii Mode, load up the homebrew channel, select nintendont and hooray! smash bros melee, on your Wii U! Before playing anything, go into settings in Nintendont (press B), then the update menu (press X), you can download the newest software update for the app. I recommend doing this straight away.

UPDATE 1

pjzze8pazrilcsubovw7.jpg

The Wii U GameCube adapter is now fully compatible with Nintendont! Now we have true backwards compatibility! It is now included in the default controller ID pack - use the update menu in Nintendont to download it. Then its a matter of enabling HID controllers in the menu, and plugging the black cable into the bottom rear port of the console. If you want rumble, plug in both cables.

List of the available options in the Nintendont menu, along with explanations:

Cheats &#8211; Turn cheats on or off.

Debugger &#8211; Turn the Debugger on or off (Not important for regular use)

Debugger Wait &#8211; (Another debug option not important for regular use)

Memcard Emulation &#8211; Turn Memory Cards on or off (If on it will emulate a memory card on your SD/USB, If off it will try and use a real Memory Card which you can use on a GC compatible Wii.)

Cheat Path &#8211; To enable use of .txt files for cheats (If you aren&#8217;t using cheats dont turn it on)

Force Widescreen &#8211; Makes Nintendont try and patch the game to support widescreen tv&#8217;s.

Force Progressive &#8211; Makes Nintendont try and patch the game to support 480p resolution.

Auto Boot &#8211; If enabled Nintendont will automatically load the last game you loaded next time you launch it, holding B will stop this.

Use HID device &#8211; Enables the use of wired usb controllers (Turn it on for PS3/PS4 controllers, Logitech F510, Mayflash USB adapters and the Wii U GC Controller Adapter.)

OSReport &#8211; Makes a report that Developers can use to fix errors.

USB &#8211; Turn it on if you are using a USB Device for your games.

Drive Read LED &#8211; Makes the Wii drive light up when reading games.

Log &#8211; Creates a log file on your SD that can be used to determine errors by the developers.

MaxPads &#8211; Set the maximum controllers enabled (Up to 4 and it should be 4 by default.)

Language &#8211; Set what language you want the game to run in (Handy for some PAL games if you want a certain language, not used normally)

Video &#8211; Set video mode (PAL/NTSC/480PAL/480NTSC/Auto) use Auto normally.

Memcard Blocks &#8211; The size of the memory card (useful when using memcard multi, using anything over 251 blocks can freeze games)

Memcard Multi &#8211; If &#8220;On&#8221; Nintendont will use one shared memcard file for all games, if &#8220;Off&#8221; it uses a single memcard file for each game, I personally recommend the single card for each game so that if a game corrupts the save it doesn&#8217;t effect the entire card.

Native Control - If set to On you can use real GameCube accessories such as the GBA-LINK and a Microphone on a Wii with GC ports, it also disables all controllers except real GameCube controllers on a Wii with GC Ports.

Recommended Settings

Here are the settings you would use to just play a GameCube game with nothing else enabled, just straight up playing a game.

Cheats &#8211; Off
Debugger &#8211; Off
Debugger Wait &#8211; Off
Memcard Emulation &#8211; On
Cheat Path &#8211; Off
Force Widescreen &#8211; Off (On if you want)
Force Progressive &#8211; Off (On if you want)
Auto Boot &#8211; Off
Use HID device &#8211; On
OSReport &#8211; Off
USB &#8211; On (Off if SD)
Drive Read LED &#8211; Off
Log &#8211; Off
MaxPads &#8211; 4
Language &#8211; Auto
Video &#8211; Auto
Memcard Blocks &#8211; 251
Memcard Multi &#8211; Off
Native Control &#8211; Off

These settings are for someone that wants a memcard for each game and they&#8217;ll be using a non-USB controller.

If you wanted to use a supported USB controller you would turn &#8220;Use HID device&#8221; to ON and plug a controller into the front USB ports on a Wii U or the top one on a Wii.

Most games will work fine with &#8220;Force Progressive&#8221; and &#8220;Force Widescreen&#8221; set to ON but it can cause issues in some games, if a game freezes and doesn&#8217;t boot turn them on or off as needed.

Persona7

Banned
Make sure your warranty is up because Nintendo will refuse to fix a system and void your warranty if they detect homebrew on it, Wii U's included.

Rich!

Make sure your warranty is up because Nintendo will refuse to fix a system and void your warranty if they detect homebrew on it, Wii U's included.

No. They will simply delete it and pretend it was never on there to begin with. Source: me, sent a Wii to Nintendo to fix.

But can I play them on a boat? Can I play them with some goats?

Jokes aside, nice to know. Unfortunately I can't think of a gamecube I absolutely need to play right now.

MisterMantis

Neo Member
If it's true like this seems to suggest that default GameCube compatibility was intentionally locked out rather than a software issue then that's pretty disgusting. Not sure why I'm surprised though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There are plenty of examples where people have sent their homebrewed Wiis in and no one cared.

But sure, absolutely, they could revoke your warranty based on it, and ask for a fee for repairs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
thank you for this noob tutorial!

err anyone got a cheapo old 2 gb sd card i can buy off you?

Rich!

But sure, absolutely, they could revoke your warranty based on it, and ask for a fee for repairs.

In all my time following the homebrew scene for Wii and Wii U on NeoGAF and GBAtemp, this has literally never happened.

Cool, so NOA do care? Who gives a shit. If you are in this thread to moan, that's...not helpful. at all. Anyone who wants to install this app do so understanding the possible risks.

MilesTeg

Banned
If it's true like this seems to suggest that default GameCube compatibility was intentionally locked out rather than a software issue then that's pretty disgusting. Not sure why I'm surprised though.

Nintendo didn't want to put the GCN memory card and controller ports on the console. Now they want to sell you an adaptor for $20 instead that only works with one game.

BocoDragon

I don't think the Wii U's drive can read GameCube discs? So it is a hardware issue.

Naturally as Wii U contains the hardware for Wii, it can be hacked to run Gamecube code.

czk

Typical COD gamer
But can you play GCN on the Gamepad and use its controls, or do you have to connect a joypad?

On the one hand ripping all my games seems like too much work, on the other hand, it's cheaper than buying a component cable for my Gamecube. Am I correct in assuming Wii U has better video output than the Wii? Decisions, decisions...

Rich!

On the one hand ripping all my games seems like too much work, on the other hand, it's cheaper than buying a component cable for my Gamecube. Am I correct in assuming Wii U has better video output than the Wii? Decisions, decisions...

It has better output than either the Wii or Gamecube component.

Baleoce

If you're going the Wii U / SD card route, does the SD card need to be 2GB or less? Or does it not matter?

Rich!

Holy fuck. How likely is this to be disabled via some firmware update?

0%

there's a reason Nintendo completely walled off Wii mode. It's unfixable and unpatchable.

If you're going the Wii U / SD card route, does the SD card need to be 2GB or less? Or does it not matter?

for the initial brawl hack, it must be 2gb or less. after that, it can be anything. I use a 32gb Micro SD in an adapter.

BocoDragon

Holy fuck. How likely is this to be disabled via some firmware update?
Will not happen. There's a Wii in the Wii U, so Wii exploits are Wii U exploits. And Nintendo was unable to patch out some of the latter day exploits to install homebrew on Wii.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

Yes due to the fact that it has HDMI out.

jblank83

If you are in this thread to moan, that's...not helpful. at all. Anyone who wants to install this app do so understanding the possible risks.

I didn't see the poster do any "moaning". It's information worth telling people about and it could be given as a warning at the same time as they are informed of how to use the home-brew channel. Then they can make informed decisions for themselves.

Rich!

I didn't see the poster do any "moaning". It's information worth telling people about and it could be given as a warning at the same time as they are informed of how to use the home-brew channel. Then they can make informed decisions for themselves.

Eh, I guess. I'll add a disclaimer.

sorry for the harshness.

Sir TapTap

Will not happen. There's a Wii in the Wii U, so Wii exploits are Wii U exploits. And Nintendo was unable to patch out some of the latter day exploits to install homebrew on Wii.

They fixed Letterbomb on Wii U (the hilariously easy one) but I don't think they can fix the Brawl one without actually breaking Brawl

Nintendo didn't want to put the GCN memory card and controller ports on the console. Now they want to sell you an adaptor for $20 instead that only works with one game.

Sony didn't want to include BC on the PS3, now they want to sell you PS2 Classics of games you already own for ten bucks a pop.

Waaaah.

So the GameCube ISOs do have to be ripped clean from a Wii, correct? Are there still a lot of weird (though I guess understandable) hoops to jump through to ensure no piracy? I got rid of my old Wii but I still have some of my ISOs on one of my hard drives, would be nice if they worked.

Linkyn

Somehow I feel it might be easier to just take my Gamecube out of the closet. Still, would be nice if they released an addon for GCN games down the line.

so i bought a 3rd party component cable for my wii since the gc games look like ass on my tv. if i play them through the wii u through hdmi do they look better than if i were to use the component cables on the wii?

Cody_D165

Banned
The biggest misconception regarding this whole thing is:

Yes, you can play Gamecube games on Wii U.

No, you cannot play Gamecube discs on Wii U.

Somehow I feel it might be easier to just take my Gamecube out of the closet. Still, would be nice if they released an addon for GCN games down the line.
I use Dolphin for my GC emulation. Nothing beats true HD output.
Homebrewed Wii is very nice for ripping games.

Yes. I have no problem with homebrew but you should know the risks before altering the system.
Pretty much it is not moaning to say that doing homebrew will void your warranty.

Rich!

so i bought a 3rd party component cable for my wii since the gc games look like ass on my tv. if i play them through the wii u through hdmi do they look better than if i were to use the component cables on the wii?

Yes. By far.

Gamecube output on the Wii U is beautiful and crystal clear.

Sir TapTap

If you don't care about the gamepad play I'd personally suggest just hacking your wii if you have one but aren't using it (like the other 100 million owners). It's even easier, easier to replace (though the homebrew is all fairly safe), and you're not going anything with it anyway if you have a wii u.

Bulzeeb

great news, I guess it's time I install the homebrew channel on my wii to rip the cube games and move them to a homebrew wii mode in my wii U

Persona7

Banned

Yes. I have no problem with homebrew but you should know the risks before altering the system.

Top Bottom