• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

FinKL

Oh man looking at all the HvH cards, there's a lot of good nods to characters that I would love (Black Panther/RivalSchools/PowerStone) and also nods to previous series characters (Iceman/Juggernaut). Maybe even a few future ones? I mean Ms.Marvel (Capt Marvel? aren't they the same) is listed as well as X.

Lord Raptor is in there too!

Weiss

Banned
Going through the list of HvH Capcom villains (and excluding ones with absolutely no chance in hell) there's:

- Bishamon
- Demitri
- Devilotte (who IIRC is the only Capcom villain who was an assist in MvC1 alongside Tong Pooh)
- Dr. Wily
- Fou-lu
- Lord Raptor
- Rathalos (I've never played Monster Hunter. He's popular right?)
- Vile

Going through the list of HvH Capcom villains (and excluding ones with absolutely no chance in hell) there's:

- Bishamon
- Demitri
- Devilotte (who IIRC is the only Capcom villain who was an assist in MvC1 alongside Tong Pooh)
- Dr. Wily
- Fou-lu
- Lord Raptor
- Rathalos (I've never played Monster Hunter. He's popular right?)
- Vile
Rathalos is basically MH's pikachu, yes.

I mean it could be Wily, surprised so few people bring him up.

Dai101

Banned
dark73.gif~c200

Is3RP9V.gif

Weiss

Banned
Rathalos is basically MH's pikachu, yes.

I mean it could be Wily, surprised so few people bring him up.

I am semi-convinced the "hard to animate" character ends up being a scaled down to size Rathalos. Hard to deny that it'd be interesting.

If not, then I'll go with Jedah or Raptor.

Weiss

Banned
Lord Raptor doesn't even seem like he'd be hard to animate

Dude's got a lot of subtle movements and transformations, even for a Darkstalkers character.

zabel-mk.gif

zabel-insanestrike.gif

zabel-weirdpoke.gif

zabel-stand.gif

zabel-hk.gif

zabel-walkf.gif

Can't find a gif of Helldunk but that's pretty rad too.

As for Demitri, I'm more convinced him or Jedah would get in over Raptor. They're more popular and important of the not-cute monster girl portion of Darkstalkers. I'm just praying for Raptor regardless.

PSqueak

Banned

Man, i miss the fact that a lot of DS characters had moves that turned the opponent into unique forms.

If i recall correctly, Mavel pussied out of letting their characters get transformed into specific forms by Anakaris so all characters had a generic little mummy servant guy instead.

Also hear this was the reason why Demitri is always insta banned (ie, not letting marvel characters get genderbended forms)

Oh man looking at all the HvH cards, there's a lot of good nods to characters that I would love (Black Panther/RivalSchools/PowerStone) and also nods to previous series characters (Iceman/Juggernaut). Maybe even a few future ones? I mean Ms.Marvel (Capt Marvel? aren't they the same) is listed as well as X.

Lord Raptor is in there too!

Capcom Cards VIllains in bold,
Nonplayable villains in italics
Akira (Rival Schools)
Anakaris (Darkstalkers)
Astaroth (Ghosts N Goblins)
Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools)
Bishamon (Darkstalkers)
Blodia (Cyberbots)
Captain Blue
(Viewtiful Joe)
Captain Commando team (Captain Commando)
Chuck Greene (Dead Rising)
Claire Redfield (Resident Evil)
Cyber Blue (Battle Circuit)
Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers....possible villain?)
Devilot (Cyberbots)
Doctor Wily (Mega Man)
Edward Fokker (Power Stone)
Felynes (Monster Hunter)
Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire)
Franziska von Karma (Ace Attorney....possible villain I guess?)
Gene (God Hand)
Godot (Ace Attorney)
Grandmaster Meio (Strider)
Hayato (Star Gladiator)
Hideo Shimazu (Rival Schools)
HUNK (Resident Evil)
Jin Saotome (Cyberbots)
June (Star Gladiator)
Kaijin No Soki (Ominusha)
Kenji (Red Earth)
Kyosuke Kagami (Rival Schools)
Lady (Devil May Cry)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Licker (Resident Evil)
Lilith (Darkstalkers)
Lin (Breath of Fire)
Lord Raptor (Darkstalkers)
Megaman (Megaman)
Mles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney...kinda a villain?)
Missile (Ace Attorney)
Myria (Breath of Fire)
Nina (Breath of Fire)
Princess (GhostsnGoblins)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter) Kinda a villain?
Rathian (Monster Hunter) kinda villain I guess?
Roll (Megaman)
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Sakuya (Okami)
Sasquatch (Darkstalkers)
Servbot (Megaman)
Sissel (Ghost Trick)
Steven Chapman (Dead Rising)
Vile (Megaman)
X (Megaman)

MVC1 Assists Villains in bold
Unknown Soldier (Forgotten Realms)
Shadow Charlie (Street Fighter/MvSH)
Pure and Fur (Capcom World 2)
Lou (three wonders?)
Anita (Darkstalkers)
Michelle Heart (Legendary Wings)
Arthur (GhostsnGoblins)
Ton Pooh (Strider)
Saki (Quiz Nainairo Dreams)
Devilot (Cyberbots)

TDLink

I'm going to guess Demitri (Darkstalkers) is the teased character. "Hard to animate" could definitely apply to Midnight Bliss, the main reason he's been excluded from MvC games in the first place.

Weiss

Banned
Devilotte could play like Doronjo summoning Boyacky and Tonzura.

She'd be interesting, but I don't think she'll make it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Hard to animate" is also a different context when we're talking 2D games of the past and modern 3D games. I mean, good animation is good animation, and difficulty of the concepts you're trying to depict does transfer between 2D and 3D, but Darkstalkers gets recognition because of how good the sprites were, not how different 3D forms are manipulated as they will be in MvC:I.

When I think hard to animate I think of large, complex, and/or shape-shifting models. Which could be something like Astaroth, Hydron, Fortinbras, Grandmaster Meio, Chakravartin, and F. Blacker. A lot of Red Earth and Asura's Wrath bosses sound like they could be problematic to modernize TBH.

As for Demitri, I'm more convinced him or Jedah would get in over Raptor. They're more popular and important of the not-cute monster girl portion of Darkstalkers. I'm just praying for Raptor regardless.

Demitri, Jedah, and Raptor are all popular Darkstalkers villains who frequently appear outside the franchise.

Of them, Demitri is the most unlikely. He has already been shot down multiple times due to Midnight Bliss, but also he may not even fit the bill... Demitri is probably one of the more straightforward Darkstalkers characters to animate, and he did appear in SvC Chaos (id that counts as a Vs game to Ryce).

Jedah is possible, and fits the description, but his moveset and animations are overly gory and likely wouldn't fly without being tremendously redesigned to overcome that.

I still say Raptor makes the most logical sense... Capcom villain, difficult to animate, from a Vs Series staple franchise but never playable in it before now, popular enough to warrant appearances in Namco X Capcom and both Project X Zone games. And without any major reason not to include him. Even if they want to give him a unique ball for dunking on every character, it's basically no work to wrap a texture around a sphere.

I will agree that Jedah and Demitri are more noteworthy, they just have barriers Lord Raptor doesn't have.

pizzacat

Banned
Man, i miss the fact that a lot of DS characters had moves that turned the opponent into unique forms.

If i recall correctly, Mavel pussied out of letting their characters get transformed into specific forms by Anakaris so all characters had a generic little mummy servant guy instead.

Also hear this was the reason why Demitri is always insta banned (ie, not letting marvel characters get genderbended forms)
Demitri is basically a boring shoto and they want to ban him for his most interesting move smhhhh

WarRock

Are some of these characters actually villains or are they just anti-heroes?
I would argue that everybody in Darkstalkers is an anti-hero with a couple of notable exceptions (Pyron and Jedah, arguably Dimitri).

Edit-
Oh yeah, Raptor totally is a villain. Sacrificing hundreds of fans just to be immortal and dick around eating souls and shit.

"Hard to animate" is also a different context when we're talking 2D games of the past and modern 3D games. I mean, good animation is good animation, and difficulty of the concepts you're trying to depict does transfer between 2D and 3D, but Darkstalkers gets recognition because of how good the sprites were, not how different 3D forms are manipulated as they will be in MvC:I.

When I think hard to animate I think of large, complex, and/or shape-shifting models. Which could be something like Astaroth, Hydron, Fortinbras, Grandmaster Meio, Chakravartin, and F. Blacker. A lot of Red Earth and Asura's Wrath bosses sound like they could be problematic to modernize TBH.

This is actually exactly why Darkstalkers comes to mind, because many Darkstalkers characters would require tons of model transformations to be faithfully recreated. Lord Raptor, Huitzil, and Pyron are great examples of this, you can't just manipulate their model in order to make them attack, their whole model has to change during animations before changing back.

IIRC, the difficulty of recreating many Darkstalkers characters has been explicitly called out as a major reason the franchise would be hard to revive.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Honestly I cant decide who I would prefer for Capcom to use as a stretchy due...Dhalsim, Seth or Lord Raptor. Seth's toolset is pretty darned Marvel but Raptor is really cool and could use a shot at the series. Dhalsim was in once and did well so I'd like to see others but he just got all that good shit in SFV.

Ms. Marvel would be best choice tho.

We should have 3. BoF3 Ryu, BoF2 Nina, Fou-Lu. Game of the Forever.

That would be amazing choices if they decided to go with three BOF characters. We know that it's very very unlikely to happens.

SgtCobra

Devilot with Super-8 would be way too cool for it to actually happen. I would welcome Pyron or Jedah with open arms though.

Top Bottom