• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast - A new demonic possession drama from the creator of TWD - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonradLaw

They've certainly done a horrible job at promoting the show...

Cinemax seems to be collapsing. Shame. Especially considering how nice their output was/is.

I at least hope that if they collapse completely they will go back to making those hilarious erotic shows like Femme Fatales :D

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Pretty boring season opener if you ask me but it was nice to see
Hoon Lee (Job) from Banshee even though it was a short cameo :)

RS4-

Pretty boring season opener if you ask me but it was nice to see
Hoon Lee (Job) from Banshee even though it was a short cameo :)

Seriously, dude wasn't in it enough lol.

Was something wrong with the audio mixing? There were times I couldn't make out what people were saying.

And yeah, weak premiere.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Seriously, dude wasn't in it enough lol.

Well you're going to be happier after seeing episode 2. :)

The show picked up a little in the last 5 minutes or so but I still feel like we're watching the (slow and boring) aftermath of season 1 before new things in season 2 kick off for good (at least I hope they will ;)).

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Well after watching episode 3 I'm leaning towards dropping this show. Some storylines are progressing, but overall I'm not interested in seeing what happens next anymore and these days my free time is more valuable. ;) I'm especially not interested in spending so much time watching
Megan go through her mental breakdown phase

tootie923

Weird, three episodes aired in the UK and I haven't seen anything about it until reading this thread. This is turning out like Fortitude Season 2, where it was difficult to find any news about it.

Last couple of episodes have been pretty damn good and I literally leapt up and cheered at the ending of the latest episode.

Fucker is gone, thank fucking god...I hate that cunt so damn much.

Still no news on the US airdate? Seems like it's going to be dumped on a streaming service at this rate...we're entering the final four episodes.

I liked the first season. Not great at all, but decent.

Nice to see the second season is up already, gonna see it!

Yeah it was, it was a show, I guess. It's not too good or too bad. It wasn't a waste of time but I would never recommend it to somebody, and I told somebody on GAF to watch Smallville today.

So I'm going to go ahead and assume this show is dead?

Still hasn't aired in the US so far as I can tell and it doesn't seem like it will be any time soon either. It's a shame, while the second season was extremely slow and at points extremely boring, the ending was good and raised some interesting questions and gave them a good base to work from for a third season.

LaNaranja

I've been waiting for this shit to drop in the US for months and still nothing. Not even a damn eta. I really enjoyed the first season too. :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A few days ago HBO/Cinemax released a big list of all their upcoming projects for the next year - Outcast was on the list, but unlike most of the other shows which were given either exact dates or vague estimates (Early 2018, etc.), it didn't get anything. Which is extremely odd considering that it already aired in its entirety months ago in some countries.

Cinemax is rebooting itself next year with a whole new lineup, but they also have Mike Judge's new animated comedy scheduled for September so I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and announce the date for Outcast too.

Outcast was meant to be Cinemax's next big show, appealing to mainstream audiences in the same way that Strike Back and Banshee did, but instead it totally cratered. The show's future was always uncertain due to that fact, but the way they handled the (ordered before season one even premiered) second season is totally bizarre.

Unless the show is a hit internationally, which it might be considering that they actually bothered to air it internationally, I can't imagine we'll get a third season.

-Deimos

A few days ago HBO/Cinemax released a big list of all their upcoming projects for the next year - Outcast was on the list, but unlike most of the other shows which were given either exact dates or vague estimates (Early 2018, etc.), it didn't get anything. Which is extremely odd considering that it already aired in its entirety months ago in some countries.

Cinemax is rebooting itself next year with a whole new lineup, but they also have Mike Judge's new animated comedy scheduled for September so I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and announce the date for Outcast too.

Outcast was meant to be Cinemax's next big show, appealing to mainstream audiences in the same way that Strike Back and Banshee did, but instead it totally cratered. The show's future was always uncertain due to that fact, but the way they handled the (ordered before season one even premiered) second season is totally bizarre.

Unless the show is a hit internationally, which it might be considering that they actually bothered to air it internationally, I can't imagine we'll get a third season.

rip

RS4-

I dropped the show completely after the second EP of this season. Felt like absolutely nothing happened and just couldn't bother with it after being surprised at how decent the first season was.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I don't know why I find this hilarious, but I do. I don't think I've ever seen a network just abandon a fully produced show before and not say anything about it. They could at least throw the episodes up on their app...

MattyH

I don't know why I find this hilarious, but I do. I don't think I've ever seen a network just abandon a fully produced show before and not say anything about it. They could at least throw the episodes up on their app...

Seemed the UK treated it better than it's own network

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It's definitely one of the more bizarre things I've seen a channel do. Like, they're premiering a new Mike Judge comedy next week - why not air Outcast alongside it? Why choose to instead A. wait until 2018 to air it as part of their relaunch, months after the rest of the world has already seen it and everyone in the US has forgotten about it; B. unceremoniously dump all the episodes to Max Go one weekend; or C. not bother to air it at all?

There has got to be some sort of crazy behind the scenes stuff going on that's preventing it from airing in the US.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there a future for Outcast beyond the upcoming second season? It is expensive, and, because its U.S. airing comes more than a year after the season was filmed, the options on the cast have long lapsed. Still, Antholis said he had recently discussed Outcast’s prospects with executive producer David Alpert. “We’re trying to give it its best platform,” Antholis said. “Ramping up our new slate of shows, and all the promotion that’s going into it, hopefully, will give it a runway.” As part of the effort, Cinemax will replay the first season of Outcast, which premiered in 2016, on Cinemax and make it available on HBO Go and HBO Now leading to the second season.

“In success, we left open the possibility that we could have a conversation about figuring out a way to bring it back.” Because the show is so expensive, “part of the consideration in doing that will be, what are the constraints, are there other co-production opportunities that maybe have a more efficient impact,” Antholis said.

Source

Season 2 will air two years after season 1, it's expensive, the cast's options have expired, critics don't care, and there was hardly an audience to begin with - yet you're going to pretend that there's a chance it comes back for a third season??

l

o

l

krazen

Source

Season 2 will air two years after season 1, it's expensive, the cast's options have expired, critics don't care, and there was hardly an audience to begin with - yet you're going to pretend that there's a chance it comes back for a third season??

l

o

l

Its a shame; I liked the world building they were doing (particularly the surprise power dynamic reveal in the end of season 2). Thing is the languid pace + horror wasnt a mix to bring people over. Walking Dead may take their lovely time moving the plot forward but at least they will give you a few scares a week.

Its got zero chanc but hopefully the new streaming avenues will expose the show...it really deserved more of a chance

LaNaranja

I will still be there day one for season 2 but holy fuck what a shit show. That first season was pretty dang good. That first episode might be the greatest premier of any show I have ever seen.

tootie923

Source

l

o

l

*queue The Leftovers sad music*

Maybe the show would have worked better as a miniseries. How much misery could they squeeze out of that small town anyway?

*queue The Leftovers sad music*

Damn, now I'm going to have that piano/violin riff in my head all day.

I'm bummed but not surprised. Why was the show so expensive, because it was filmed on location in South Carolina? Still think it's so bizarre it would air in UK earlier this year yet we have to wait until 2018.

I mean, Phil Glenister is a MUCH bigger name in the UK and is very popular, but there has to be more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom