• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA at it again: Want a new gun in BF: Bad Company? Pay us.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This was in the other thread regarding the beta, but I think it warranted it's own to let people know the depths of shit EA has sunk into:

In the options screen for the beta, there are 10 guns that are locked from use that say "Buy this weapon on Xbox LIVE Marketplace".

It's not known whether these guns can be unlocked through normal play or not, but seeing how there are 10 others guns that are locked that don't say this, all signs are pointing to yes.

Kittonwy

Banned
FlyinJ said:
This was in the other thread regarding the beta, but I think it warranted it's own to let people know the depths of shit EA has sunk into:

In the options screen for the beta, there are 10 guns that are locked from use that say "Buy this weapon on Xbox LIVE Marketplace".

It's not known whether these guns can be unlocked through normal play or not, but seeing how there are 10 others guns that are locked that don't say this, all signs are pointing to yes.

KOMBAT
KOMRADRIE
KASH

EA

Indifferent2.gif

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I can't blame EA for offering DLC like this, when college-aged gamers with disposable income and no sense of true value download it in scores, legitimizing it.

I'd buy it myself, but I spent that money on a new Peter Griffin farting ringtone.

SUPREME1

Banned
Very shady practices.

It's one thing to have something in the works for later down the road as DLC, but to have it right on the disk... needing only be unlocked after purchase.. is just low.

EA.. 'nuff said.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's kind of amazing.

It's like EA and Activision are squatting over gamer's faces, and seeing how much shit they can spray into their customer's faces the fastest.

And Gamestop is sitting in the corner with their hand down the front of their pants watching.

Salazar

Don't soldiers in many of the world's armies fork out for their own kit to replace / supplement what they're issued with ?

(Not looking for real-world justification for EA).

SUPREME1

Banned
Salazar said:
Don't soldiers in many of the world's armies fork out for their own kit to replace / supplement what they're issued with ?

(Not looking for real-world justification for EA).

Day one buyer confirmed.

Perdew

Not that I endorse this but how is it really different than the special edition of WoW or something that gave you an extra pet? Some people will pay higher to have 'exclusive' in game shenanigans.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
sneaky77 said:
if no one buys it.. then they will stop, obviously some morons buy the stuff
Metalmurphy said:
This.
Problem is, many people will buy it cause of the epenis factor.
Probably the same idiots who keep the spam people in business by buying products to iNlrge their actual p3N1S.

Victrix

*beard*
As much as I'm inclined to bash EA for this, and I harbor plenty of hate, I think in this case I'd actually rather just be disgusted with consumers. It's like most advertising for retarded products - if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it!

In this case, if it doesn't sell, no problem. If it does, *shrug*

I won't buy it for that reason, but then again, I'm hypersensitive - I didn't buy Burnout because of the ads, and I *like* Burnout.

Seriously though. Gameplay items for cash. LOL.

They need to go Tiger Woods on it - 'One additional health bar $10' 'Unlimited Sprint $20'

THAT would be good DLC.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Perdew said:
Not that I endorse this but how is it really different than the special edition of WoW or something that gave you an extra pet? Some people will pay higher to have 'exclusive' in game shenanigans.

There were much more to the special editions of WoW than just the in-game pets.

Ranger X

Tip of the iceberg anyways.
I've been warning people for years about all that bullshit happening. There will be ALOT more thread like this one in the future. I'm sure most people don't have all the imagination certain business man do when it comes down to nickle and diming people.

f@luS

More than a member.
Victrix said:
As much as I'm inclined to bash EA for this, and I harbor plenty of hate, I think in this case I'd actually rather just be disgusted with consumers. It's like most advertising for retarded products - if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it!

In this case, if it doesn't sell, no problem. If it does, *shrug*

I won't buy it for that reason, but then again, I'm hypersensitive - I didn't buy Burnout because of the ads, and I *like* Burnout.

Seriously though. Gameplay items for cash. LOL.

They need to go Tiger Woods on it - 'One additional health bar $10' 'Unlimited Sprint $20'

THAT would be good DLC.

If its not advertised , nobody will know (i mean the average consumer) so its pointless to say "dont buy it".

Seriously, it was already disgusting in a solo game like godfather , but something like this going in a competitive online game? this is utter pure garbage.
Its like EA is doing the chinese wow farmer job. "Dont wanna play 1000hours to unlock this weapon? * just buy it. 5$"

*You cant unlock it anyway without paying :lol . Just buy it. Thanks

Zer0

Banned
some of my friends are developers

they work on ubi,Ea,etc
part1

i dont know sony ( maybe its the same) but in meetings microsoft tell the developers that free content is plain stupid an devaluated the valour of the other type of "content" (aka the paid one) they dont like free content,not at all

part2

they cut content from the game on purpose,the first vegas was going to be released with a lot more maps,they were put appart to make an expansion ( they got problems with that and got forced to release two of these free) its a well know thing that a lot of developers are doing this,and the worse offenders are the one who sell u stuff thats its on THE FUCKING DISC already

f@luS

More than a member.
Zer0 said:

they work on ubi,Ea,etc

i dont know sony ( maybe its the same) but in meetings microsoft tell the developers that free content is plain stupid an devaluated the valour of the other type of "content" (aka the paid one) they dont like free content,not at all
this is not dlc here , its only a freakin' unlock key.

Ranger X said:
Tip of the iceberg anyways.
I've been warning people for years about all that bullshit happening. There will be ALOT more thread like this one in the future. I'm sure most people don't have all the imagination certain business man do when it comes down to nickle and diming people.

I agree,

What i think is worse is the people buying this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Zer0 said:

they work on ubi,Ea,etc

What?

Robert R1

Banned
Here's hoping it bombs.

If you want CoD4/Halo3 like sales, you can't nickel and dime your customer base to death. The battlefield series is a great example on how EA likes to work.

You had BF2, booster packs, expansions and so on. You suck EA.

TaeOH

This shit will increase as long as people pay.

I don't mind buying DLC, but it has to be worth it, most of the crap that is peddled is not worth it.

Gafers are pay out the nose for Nintendo VC content, that shit is way overpriced. So look at yourselves before you bitch too much about it.

Zer0

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
This is the same EA that is giving us a whole island in Burnout Paradise.

criterion is the reason.not EA

its the same EA who charge you for hiring hitmans and buy weapons on the godfather ( the same ones who are free on the ps2 version)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
This is the same EA that is giving us a whole island in Burnout Paradise.

However, they mentioned that "other things" were going to cost money.

I've always been suspicious of this. I'm willing to bet it's going to be "Hey, here's a whole island you can free drive around on!" Then when you pull up to an intersection to start an event, out slides the XB Marketplace blade.

Zer0

Banned
Djungelfrukt said:
"Out of Ammo - insert x MS point(s) to continue!"

i have better one.

go play godfather on 360,look at the map for a hitman,get out of the car,press A near the guy and a xbox marketplace appears ..250 ms points to hire this hitman.

sadly,its not a joke.

Top Bottom