• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Dashboard Leak - Version 2

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Get it while it's hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b29jUoqHu4

nmuOvsw.jpg
qAdNkrX.jpg

You select the currently active game it seems like here:

Then it loads full screen (or unsuspends? Developer decide on fullscreen images for these scenarios?)

and end ups in the game:

While you're in the game you press the Guide button the game continues to play:
(Which allows you to do other stuff in the XB1 OS when waiting in a match making lobby for example. Assuming there aren't special cases for networking that disable this multi-tasking.)

More pics:

Thanks to Benny_a, a great source of calcium and jiggaflops.

Do NOT crap up this thread like the other one with constant sniping, bickering, and stuff from other sources (like Twitter or Youtube). No tolerance in this thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This interface looks like WIndows 8 and I'm not particularly fond of Windows 8.

Would love to see more features done with the game in the background. It's very snappy right now, which is a nice surprise.

I am very curious how you snap things and do a lot of stuff that you'd normally use Kinect for.

I was hoping to see the snap feature.

What I really want from MS is a 1hr show dedicated to Dashboard usage and features. It's the piece of next gen that interests me the most and it's one they have spent no real time on.

EvB

I'm properly surprised by how quickly it resumed, I was sceptical that feature would work quite as well as they suggested, but it looks like it does.

Arklite

Looks like the ads have been pushed to the far right while the left screens display mainly console options. Better than their current arrangement.

Hollow

Looks like Windows 8. Not sure how I feel about that.

Minimizing the game and going back to the dashboard was pretty neat, though.

Mugatu

A little OT but I never noticed until now just how cartoonish the buttons look on the new controller. The text seems really bright and out of place on the otherwise completely black unit.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Thanks for the new thread.

I will have to use it before final word but right now I am just happy it is quick.

And really suspend feature is best thing about PS4/XBO.

Ghazi

The Guide button actually depresses into the controller and isn't touch sensitive? This is news to me, that's great because touch sensitive would've sucked!

Krakn3Dfx

Seems quick. I imagine the multiple gigs of RAM in both new consoles will allow for a high degree of quickness for the UI over the upcoming generation. Good stuff.

kadotsu

Banned
Modern UI seems perfectly fine for a console (still don't like it on PC). I would've liked to see more Kinect and switching between game applications.

shem935

Banned
Looks responsive...overall look is kinda just standard...im sure it will be spruced up for release but just looks plain.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks okay to me. You can see that Ryse seems to slow down when in windowed mode. Not surprising really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm properly surprised by how quickly it resumed, I was sceptical that feature would work quite as well as they suggested, but it looks like it does.

Have you used a Vita? It works pretty well but sometimes I wish it would give you a countdown. It can be hard to resume a racing game...

Cartman86

Banned
Wait, does the PS4 have it, too?

You can switch, but we don't know yet to what degree . Considering the amount of RAM dedicated to the OS that came out I would assume all non-game apps can be run while a game is suspended. There does not appear to be a snap type true multitasking mode so it will probably be app dependent and depend on whatever API's Sony has created. Music apps for example. We don't know yet to what degree Microsoft is letting people hook into these systems either though I would assume it's pretty big considering how important snapping and multitasking features are to them...unless Microsoft is still making all the apps themselves which would be kind of depressing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This interface looks like WIndows 8 and I'm not particularly fond of Windows 8.

Metro on desktops is utter shit from an ergonomic perspective, and I use it every day at the office.

But for the big TV, and in combination with Kinect-based gestures, it will be fine.

Frillen

As I said in the other thread, I like it. It looks fast, clean and well organized. Same could be said about the PS4 OS. Looking forward to be using both.

REV 09

I don't know what's snappier, the dash or kev's modding. : )

Looks good overall. Wish he would've shown more.

The in-game Guide button stuff seems real fucking cool. I mean, I'm not sure if it's actually more convenient or whatever than the 360 in-game Guide interface, but... hey! I like the W8 tile stuff, so that's cool!

Ryse loaded up instantly it seemed. If this is how fast digital games are going to load on the X1 I'm going to have to go more digital this gen.

psrock

It's clearly not final, I just don't like Metro with the colors. But that multitasking is sick. That's how it needs to be done.

FrankT

Like what I'm seeing so far and I'm a Windows 8 hater. Obviously it's in beta, but I expect it to come together nicely by launch. Hopefully those servers hold up this Christmas.

jabuseika

Please keeps this on topic.

I'll comment again, how much of this are remnants from the forced on kinect?

Plenty of whitespace around the tiles, tiles all spread out, and no drop/nested menus.

I want to see more behind the main screen before I make any conclusions.

I hope it allows you to switch around tiles.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You can switch, but we don't know yet to what degree . Considering the amount of RAM dedicated to the OS that came out I would assume all non-game apps can be run while a game is suspended. There does not appear to be a snap type true multitasking mode so it will probably be app dependent and depend on whatever API's Sony has created. Music apps for example. We don't know yet to what degree Microsoft is letting people hook into these systems either though I would assume it's pretty big considering how important snapping and these features are...unless Microsoft is still making all the apps themselves which would be kind of depressing.

From Feb 20th:

PlayStation 4 will allow you to pause games while the system is sleeping, so you won't ever lose your progress when terrible distractions like "sleep" and "real life" get you down.

Essentially, you'll be able to put PS4 in a low power state that preserves your game session by simply hitting the console's power button. Later, when you return to your gaming sanctuary, you can hit the power button again to return to your session.

Sony had the following to say in a press release:

"PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4."
Link

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Reposting this because I think the idea that it doesn't pause the games when pressing the guide isn't necessarily bad:

Depending on what other things you can do with the console, I think it could be quite useful. I'm mainly thinking of long loading times, or multiplayer lobbies where you're waiting for the next round.

Maybe even a Fighting Game lobby where it isn't your turn for awhile.

(I could also post at what rumored performance cost this feature is implemented, but one thread derail is enough. :p)

LAA

I too have to say I'm not fond of the metro system, though for X1, I may be more forgiving, as there inst really as much of a need for an open OS for advanced settings and etc.
I do have to say I think it looks smoother and I love the how games are still playing while you exit to to the dashboard and this time its the FULL dashboard, though I suppose I may miss the mini blades option on X1.

Not really sure how good PS4 OS is really. I can't really judge it by how it looks, and what I can judge from seeing is in very little supply, hoping for a more detailed look at the PS4 OS at some point..

Skilletor

Functionality looks really great. I can't say I like metro, but Meh. All I really care about in an OS is that it's quick and responsive, and this looks like it meets those criteria.

I actually really like the currently 360 dashboard, but I'm not feeling the look of this one. Looks far too cluttered. Though I practically came when I saw how snappy and responsive it was. Nice.

artist

Banned
Seems quick. I imagine the multiple gigs of RAM in both new consoles will allow for a high degree of quickness for the UI over the upcoming generation. Good stuff.
Metro UI is quick on phones and tablets as well despite having a lot less resources. The UI is minimalistic in design for a purpose.

Having said that it would have been interesting if he snapped live tv to see if it was still choppy.

Looks okay to me. You can see that Ryse seems to slow down when in windowed mode. Not surprising really.
Yeah, I noticed that. I guess they're assuming (correctly) that people won't usually suspend out of gameplay, they'll suspend matchmaking and other stuff that framerate doesn't matter.

Top Bottom