• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

GHG

Gold Member
There's this thing called the Autobahn in Germany and I disagree. Having that power does not mean using it all the time. You might need it on a track, on the autobahn or just an empty piece of road. I don't see why it's so shocking.

So the Autobahn is literally the only public road where a car like that is useful? Great. And even still, most of your fun is over in under 10 seconds.

Acceleration over time is a factor and there is a happy medium to be found. 0-200 kmh in 7 seconds is well past that. It stops being fun when every time you stomp the loud pedal the car quite literally wants to kill you.

That's just my opinion though.

SliChillax

So the Autobahn is literally the only public road where a car like that is useful? Great. And even still, most of your fun is over in under 10 seconds.

Acceleration over time is a factor and there is a happy medium to be found. 0-200 kmh in 7 seconds is well past that. It stops being fun when every time you stomp the loud pedal the car quite literally wants to kill you.

I'm not arguing that the speed is crazy, I'm just saying you don't have to use it all the time. My M235i makes 400hp, doesn't mean I use all that power all the time. People were saying the same thing 30 years ago, that cars were too powerful back then and now look where we are.

Unrelated to that I have a question guys. A local BMW dealer is offering my car rental company to buy 2 of their Mini Coopers around 30% off the price (around 23,000 euros). Downside is, the cars have been sitting on the lot for a year. They're brand new obviously but I'm kinda worried if I should buy cars that have been sitting for a year for the company.

matmanx1

$30 for the knock sensor but 5 hours of labor to replace it.

Obviously the knock sensor is gonna be knee-deep in the engine and in order to replace it, you also need to remove the dynamic chamber among other things so there's a lot of work required to get it done.

Tbh I really don't need to replace the springs... the new ones I have just work better with my shocks, basically it's a little more comfortable and about .5-inches higher than what I have now so I'm only really wanting to do to chase that comfortability that supposedly exists.

Right off the bat I can tell you that I have a love/hate relationship with the automatic tranny. The downshifts are very obvious in normal mode when you're slowing down(you see the tach visibly jump up as if it's blipping the throttle and engaging the gear) and I don't like it because when you need to get on the throttle, you have to wait for the downshift to finish before you get power. Obviously that's how a manual tranny works too, but since I don't have control of the clutch here, I'm having to wait for the car to do all the work instead of me knowing what's going to happen and that sorta bugs me lol.

On sport mode though, it's like Mazda's lying out of their ass when they say it's a full-on torque converter. It feels like a dual clutch with how fast the throttle blips and the up/downshifts are quite fast.

Handling wise, I didn't really get a chance to fully push it, but I can say that it's damn good for a stock car. But I do feel that my NC with it's modded suspension handles a lot better. There's a turn that I go through a lot, and on my NC it feels stable and flat as I go through the corner... whereas on this ND, you feel that weight transfer take place so I guess it depends on whether you like it or not.

Anyway, that's it for now... I'll have more soon lol.

Thanks for your thoughts on the ND. Is that ND white or is it that ceramic color? Either way, it looks good. I also echo your thoughts on most automatic transmissions. Mazda's is pretty good but it still isn't as responsive as their 6 speed manual. In a car like a Miata it would have to be the manual gearbox for me, it's just too much fun.

Oh yeah definitely, I mean check out this ridiculous ride height on the ND:

I'd probably drop it an inch to an inch and a half and that's it.

That's actually one of the first things I needed to get used to... I felt that I was sitting a litle too high the first time I got in this morning... well, until I got used to it at least lol.

Also, get your 56k modems ready coz here's some pics!

Yep, very good looking car. How are the seats and the driving position as compared to your NC?

Day 2 with the ND and I'm getting really close to a verdict on this car.

And if you have been paying attention to what I've been saying about the ND for the last year or so then I think you already have an idea of my verdict on it.

But if you haven't been paying attention, I'm gonna hold you to that suspense for another 24 hours lol. I'll have my full review tomorrow, there's just one thing that I haven't done with it and that could actually tip the scales by a wide margin.

Thanks for your thoughts on the ND. Is that ND white or is it that ceramic color? Either way, it looks good. I also echo your thoughts on most automatic transmissions. Mazda's is pretty good but it still isn't as responsive as their 6 speed manual. In a car like a Miata it would have to be the manual gearbox for me, it's just too much fun.

Yep, very good looking car. How are the seats and the driving position as compared to your NC?

It's the standard white... funny enough I was side by side a Ceramic White Club ND on the highway earlier and the ground effects + Brembos just make the Club the better looking ND.

As for the seats, I feel like it's too high actually but at the same time, it could just be that the new seats have more support than my NC, plus the ride height might also contribute to that feel. You know how the seat height also gets adjusted when you move the seat front and back right? I feel like if I move it back some more, I might not be able to reach the pedals that way lol. But at the same time, the distance is fine, it's just that I do feel like I'm sitting a little higher than I'm supposed to lol.

ascii42

The autobahn is a highway system, it's not just one road. Referring to "the autobahn" is like saying "the interstate" or "the highway," even though there are many.

How does auto gaf feel about buying an already modified car?

Like this one: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=640393 (though maybe a little bit cheaper...)
WGZNbDp.jpg

If relevant, I'm not mechanically inclined myself. Thx!

How does auto gaf feel about buying an already modified car?

Like this one: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=640393 (though maybe a little bit cheaper...)
WGZNbDp.jpg

If relevant, I'm not mechanically inclined myself. Thx!

I buy modified cars, though I know how to work on cars.

I will say, buying from a forum is better than craigslist. One reason, is there's a smaller chance of buying from some shady dude. Plus you can look up post history and maybe a thread for the car.

I buy modified cars, though I know how to work on cars.

I will say, buying from a forum is better than craigslist. One reason, is there's a smaller chance of buying from some shady dude. Plus you can look up post history and maybe a thread for the car.

It is also listed on CL, but yeah, I found the guy's reddit posts and he surely seems to know his stuff. Apparently it was previously a car owned by someone at 949 Racing.

Are there any issues with registering/insuring modified vehicles?

It is also listed on CL, but yeah, I found the guy's reddit posts and he surely seems to know his stuff. Apparently it was previously a car owned by someone at 949 Racing.

Are there any issues with registering/insuring modified vehicles?

depends on where you live. Your profile says Canada, so I honestly have no idea. But if its just stuff like wheels, suspension and stuff I'd be surprised if you had trouble. I'm assuming during an inspection, they mostly just check if the car isn't falling apart, and don't care if parts are factory or not.

The state I live in, in the US, I just have emissions testing. So if it doesn't pollute too much, I can register it. They don't care about anything else. I've taken a car through before with no front fenders, bumper, headlights, dash or gauges and they didn't even care.

depends on where you live. Your profile says Canada, so I honestly have no idea. But if its just stuff like wheels, suspension and stuff I'd be surprised if you had trouble. I'm assuming during an inspection, they mostly just check if the car isn't falling apart, and don't care if parts are factory or not.

The state I live in, in the US, I just have emissions testing. So if it doesn't pollute too much, I can register it. They don't care about anything else. I've taken a car through before with no front fenders, bumper, headlights, dash or gauges and they didn't even care.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually in NorCal now, forgot to update that. Hmm, emissions, forgot about that.

Sorry all for the thread spam about Miatas lately.... need to buy something in the next couple of weeks so my aunt can get her Prius back (lol) and I can get to work.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually in NorCal now, forgot to update that. Hmm, emissions, forgot about that.

Sorry all for the thread spam about Miatas lately.... need to buy something in the next couple of weeks so my aunt can get her Prius back (lol) and I can get to work.

Well, California I've heard is horrible, but if the car is already registered there, you shouldn't have a problem.

matmanx1

Day 2 with the ND and I'm getting really close to a verdict on this car.

And if you have been paying attention to what I've been saying about the ND for the last year or so then I think you already have an idea of my verdict on it.

But if you haven't been paying attention, I'm gonna hold you to that suspense for another 24 hours lol. I'll have my full review tomorrow, there's just one thing that I haven't done with it and that could actually tip the scales by a wide margin.

It's the standard white... funny enough I was side by side a Ceramic White Club ND on the highway earlier and the ground effects + Brembos just make the Club the better looking ND.

As for the seats, I feel like it's too high actually but at the same time, it could just be that the new seats have more support than my NC, plus the ride height might also contribute to that feel. You know how the seat height also gets adjusted when you move the seat front and back right? I feel like if I move it back some more, I might not be able to reach the pedals that way lol. But at the same time, the distance is fine, it's just that I do feel like I'm sitting a little higher than I'm supposed to lol.

Yeah I think the Club is the best ND Miata overall. There's not a bad ND but the Club just has the best combination of options and price. That's the one I would go for, most definitely.

Yeah I think the Club is the best ND Miata overall. There's not a bad ND but the Club just has the best combination of options and price. That's the one I would go for, most definitely.

And more importantly the Club has the LSD.

You would think it's not necessary for a daily driver but it actually is. I've already had a couple of situations where I know having an LSD would help a lot.

boltz

In CA, you need a smog certification for transferring cars older than 4 model years. The current owner can have it done and then it'll be good for up to 90 days before the transfer is done.

Another thing to keep in mind with mods that can affect emissions in CA is that they are required to have a CARB exemption number, which usually comes in the form of a numbered sticker. If you get pulled over and the car is obviously nodded, then you're going to draw some questions from the officer. I'm not sure how strict cops are in Norcal regarding this though.

In CA, you need a smog certification for transferring cars older than 4 model years. The current owner can have it done and then it'll be good for up to 90 days before the transfer is done.

Another thing to keep in mind with mods that can affect emissions in CA is that they are required to have a CARB exemption number, which usually comes in the form of a numbered sticker. If you get pulled over and the car is obviously nodded, then you're going to draw some questions from the officer. I'm not sure how strict cops are in Norcal regarding this though.

Thanks, this helps. I think I'm going to avoid the modded car just for the possible headaches. I'm halfway to saying fack it and just getting an ND. :p

witness

So last night we get in our GLI and all of a sudden the AC no longer works. It's only throwing out hot air now. It doesn't need to be recharged because right before it was belting out ice cold air just two hours before. This is a certified used vehicle that we've had for 10 fucking days. I'm goddamn furious as I had to bring it in anyway because the alignment they did when we got it was horrible and the car pulls hard to the right. Not to mention when we picked it up the sunroof suddenly no longer worked and we had to spend an additional 45 minutes in the shop getting fixed. This car seems like a big mistake already....

kagete

So last night we get in our GLI and all of a sudden the AC no longer works. It's only throwing out hot air now. It doesn't need to be recharged because right before it was belting out ice cold air just two hours before. This is a certified used vehicle that we've had for 10 fucking days. I'm goddamn furious as I had to bring it in anyway because the alignment they did when we got it was horrible and the car pulls hard to the right. Not to mention when we picked it up the sunroof suddenly no longer worked and we had to spend an additional 45 minutes in the shop getting fixed. This car seems like a big mistake already....

I'm normally a lurker in this thread but don't let the stress get to you. Ask for the nicest loaner you can get and just leave the car there for at least a week. Tell them you can't come back later in the evening or in two days. Tell them your time is valuable and you have important business all week.

Stressing out about individual issues will sour you on the car really quickly. Hopefully those are minor gremlins that will be sorted out by your dealer in one go. Good luck dude.

ShapeGSX

Here's a very old video of my 1997 Eclipse GSX running an 11.98@116mph. I still own the car, but I haven't raced it in a long time. I did all the mods, all the work, all the tuning. Even welded up the 3" stainless exhaust and 2.5" intercooler pipes. I used to daily drive it, but now I daily drive a 2014 Ford Focus ST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKqII6R4F4

No Love

Banned

I couldve told you that. It's a piece of shit VW that was priced too low.... Can't expect much from it. Return that POS.

ShapeGSX

Gen1 engine I assume? What other mods?

Yes, it has a 1991 6-bolt block with 1G shot-peened rods and 2G 8.5:1 pistons installed. 1G head. And I modified a 2G front case to fit it. I did this before the DSMLink method for fixing the random misfire was available.

Evo 3 16G turbo
Evo 3 exhaust manifold
660cc/min injectors
Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump
HKS 272/264 cams
aftermarket fuel pressure regulator
custom top/bottom flow intercooler with 2.5" IC pipes
modded 1G blow off valve
Hallman manual boost controller
DSMLink V3
home built water sprayer for the intercooler
fuel pump rewire with 10 gauge wire
Shep Racing 4 spider gear center differential with torrington bearing
Koni Yellow shocks
Ground Control coilover kit
3" exhaust from the turbo back. Axle-back is an RSR stainless. The rest was my design, welded in 409 and 309 stainless by me.
Little stuff like a K&N air filter, gauges, etc...

When I ran at the track, I'd drain the pump gas and fill it with 117 octane leaded fuel and load in my race tune with more aggressive timing and leaner fuel and turn up the boost to 29psi or so. The turbo would spike that high and settle down to around 25psi. It couldn't hold boost that high.

I usually set the "launch control" (we called it a stutterbox at the time) to 5500RPM and slip out the clutch really fast to launch it. Felt like being shot out of a canon. :)

Best I ever ran was an 11.7@118, I think.

matmanx1

Filled up my 2008 NC Miata today and my combined mileage for the tank is 29.07, which I think is my best ever. I don't check every time I fill up but I usually fall somewhere between 26 and 28mpg and I've not driven any different than I normally do so I'm not sure I how hit 29+.

For such a fun car it can be surprisingly thrifty, which is no bad thing.

So today on the way to work I saw not one but two cars with inexplicable fat black racing stripes painted down the middle. First a newish Beetle, and then later on the highway a 20 year old Accord coupe. Why?

Yes, it has a 1991 6-bolt block with 1G shot-peened rods and 2G 8.5:1 pistons installed. 1G head. And I modified a 2G front case to fit it. I did this before the DSMLink method for fixing the random misfire was available.

Evo 3 16G turbo
Evo 3 exhaust manifold
660cc/min injectors
Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump
HKS 272/264 cams
aftermarket fuel pressure regulator
custom top/bottom flow intercooler with 2.5" IC pipes
modded 1G blow off valve
Hallman manual boost controller
DSMLink V3
home built water sprayer for the intercooler
fuel pump rewire with 10 gauge wire
Shep Racing 4 spider gear center differential with torrington bearing
Koni Yellow shocks
Ground Control coilover kit
3" exhaust from the turbo back. Axle-back is an RSR stainless. The rest was my design, welded in 409 and 309 stainless by me.
Little stuff like a K&N air filter, gauges, etc...

When I ran at the track, I'd drain the pump gas and fill it with 117 octane leaded fuel and load in my race tune with more aggressive timing and leaner fuel and turn up the boost to 29psi or so. The turbo would spike that high and settle down to around 25psi. It couldn't hold boost that high.

I usually set the "launch control" (we called it a stutterbox at the time) to 5500RPM and slip out the clutch really fast to launch it. Felt like being shot out of a canon. :)

Best I ever ran was an 11.7@118, I think.

Damn, thats legit man. Love me some DSM but I have always been more partial to the looks of the 1Gs.

witness

I couldve told you that. It's a piece of shit VW that was priced too low.... Can't expect much from it. Return that POS.

Ouch ☹️ I really like it aside from these stupid issues. Looks beautiful inside and out and runs strong. Feels underrated at just 210hp. We got it for $19k out the door, 2014 Edition 30. We were happy with that compared to similar cars in our area.

Returning it was our first thought after the AC. They said there's no return laws in Florida and that the loan was finalized already after 3 days. That sounded suspicious to me though. He said all we can do at this point is do a trade in....

I'm normally a lurker in this thread but don't let the stress get to you. Ask for the nicest loaner you can get and just leave the car there for at least a week. Tell them you can't come back later in the evening or in two days. Tell them your time is valuable and you have important business all week.

Stressing out about individual issues will sour you on the car really quickly. Hopefully those are minor gremlins that will be sorted out by your dealer in one go. Good luck dude.

I appreciate the advice, this helped me and I love the idea!

matmanx1

That sucks man. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hopefully those problems were just nagging issues that needed to be taken care of and then you will be good for a while.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Ouch ☹️ I really like it aside from these stupid issues. Looks beautiful inside and out and runs strong. Feels underrated at just 210hp. We got it for $19k out the door, 2014 Edition 30. We were happy with that compared to similar cars in our area.

Returning it was our first thought after the AC. They said there's no return laws in Florida and that the loan was finalized already after 3 days. That sounded suspicious to me though. He said all we can do at this point is do a trade in....

I appreciate the advice, this helped me and I love the idea!

Where in Florida do you live?

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

It's true, lemon laws do not apply to used cars. Primarily new cars 24 months or newer. Florida actually has some of the best lemon laws, much better than NY state, for example. But used cars are usually fair game...sorry man.

I finally returned the loaner ND a few hours ago and I've driven my NC for a bit to really get a proper comparison going... on that note, here's my review of the ND GT 6AT:

Looks:
It's a gorgeous looking car. But, and I said this a few posts earlier, a Club ND with the ground effects and Brembo brakes is the best looking ND on the road... put it in Ceramic White and RF form, it's definitely the best looking Miata to ever exist imo.

Interior:
My fat ass actually fits perfectly fine in it, for reference I'm 5'6" with long legs/short torso /beer belly with the build of a linebacker except it's all fat instead of muscle lol. It's a little more cramped than my NC but it's definitely comfortable for long trips. Even with the 6AT, the "jinba ittai" philosophy still remains, that shifter is literally at the palm of your hand so I imagine it's exactly the same with the 6MT.

Now the cons, as a fat Texan/American, I need my damn cupholders dammit! Where the fnck am I gonna stash my ginormous Whataburger cup?? Also the placement of Mazda's iDrive is too far back. I get that it needs to be behind the shifter, but my arm is literally resting on the knob and if I need to access it, I have to pull my arm further back and it just feels weird... I never got used to in the 3 days I had it. Finally, paddle shifters... please keep them in place in the steering wheel column, using it is too damn awkward when the steering wheel isn't dead center.

Lastly, holy blind spots Batman! The space between the door windows and rear window is so fucking ginormous, no wonder why they had to install blind spot monitors on this thing. I don't ever have the need to pull my chest out then look back to look at the blind spots on my NC, but on the ND, you really have to coz it's almost impossible to see what's there. It doesn't help that the mirrors are tiny af, and it only has enough space for the lane that's next to you.

As for the sitting position, as mentioned earlier, I felt like I was sitting too high and as soon as I got in my NC when I picked it up earlier, I felt like it was the perfect position for me so I'm not exactly sure why I felt too high in the ND. So that's all I'm gonna say about that... I don't remember feeling like I was sitting too high when I test drove a 6MT Club 2 years ago so yeah I'm not sure.

Engine:
155hp isn't exactly perfect, but it's more than enough to carry the car. I will say that the gear ratios of the 6AT might've contributed to how the ND feels like it needs more power. 1-4 are short but tall, and 5-6 are basically overdrives in the AT whereas on the 6MT 6th is 1:1 so I imagine it's a ton better at power delivery.

In comparison to my NC, I actually feel like the NC has more power despite extra 200+ pounds its carrying. But again, that might be due to the gear ratios as the NC's have short ratios.

So yeah, idk if I can fully review the engine performance due to the tranny difference... but hopefully this'll give y'all an idea as it definitely helped me out.

In terms of gas mileage though, this thing is crazy. I average 32mpg(according to the infotainment app or whatever) and it has a full tank range of 360 miles... that's basically 100 miles more than my NC and 5mpg's more.

Finally, engine sound. Lol. It's there but it's by no means great... but this applies to all Miata's ever since 1989 tbh. My NC didn't sound great until I swapped the muffler either so yeah, the sound is there but it's not a fun sound. It needs a Roadstersport Super Street or Race muffle at the very least then it should sound really good.

Handling:
It's ridiculously unfair to compare my tuned NC with a stock ND so I'm not going to do that.

What I will say that this is probably the best handling car you can buy for under $30K. The handling is sublime, throw it in a corner and instead of telling you no(understeer) it'll ask you if that's all you got. It's ridiculously confidence inspiring, you really will feel like a racecar driver when you're pushing it in the corners.

Lastly EPAS, yes that dreaded electric steering. I'm not gonna lie, I had to remind myself that the ND is EPAS instead of hydraulic. Right off the bat though, when you jump from an ND to NC or vice versa, you will definitely notice the difference between EPAS and hydraulic. But at the end of the day, that difference doesn't matter that much because the EPAS feels 90% hydraulic. It's really on low speeds or high-speed maneuvers where you'll notice the difference... on low speeds, it's ridiculously easy to steer and on high-speeds, there's definitely some play with the steering.

But in general, it feels light but direct and you really really have to remind yourself that it's EPAS instead of hydraulic and since that's the case, I actually don't mind it at all.

Verdict:
Ah yes, the moment of truth lol.

Sad to say, but again, if you have a NC or decently specced NB, it's hard to fully justify the ND. It's absolutely the best new Miata you can buy today but only if you don't have an old one in your garage.

There is virtually no upgrade if you're coming from an NC besides the better looks, infotainment screen, and better gas mileage. But you also lose cupholders, bigger trunk space, and more spacious interior if you go NC to ND.

One of the comparisons I've seen is that the NC is the better overall car but it's not a great Miata, whereas the ND is the better Miata while not being the best overall car and to that I agree 100%. Both cars are cars that you can live/daily with but the NC feels less toylike than the ND imo.

Would I buy an ND in the future?
Absolutely, but I'll wait until the prices keep coming down and strategically plan to buy it in December coz nobody buys convertibles in the winter. Why? Because again, I'm not missing out much since I already have an NC.

boltz

Don't sweat it, at least it's a car you enjoy and none of those things keep you from going from point A to point B. Make that warranty work for you.

So today on the way to work I saw not one but two cars with inexplicable fat black racing stripes painted down the middle. First a newish Beetle, and then later on the highway a 20 year old Accord coupe. Why?

I associate racing stripes with muscle cars, so it's always weird to see them on obviously non-performance vehicles.

I think Swapalease is a sham. I was hoodwinked out of $200.00. Im lucky I didnt pay more.

Im never getting out of this lease.

Dude, you hardly drive a terrible car, so just enjoy it.

I finally returned the loaner ND a few hours ago and I've driven my NC for a bit to really get a proper comparison going... on that note, here's my review of the ND GT 6AT:

<Review snip>

Thanks for the review - yeah, the ND's looks really do it for me, especially the RF. I wonder if Mazda is ever going to throw their 2.5L into the ND.

v1lla21

Great review man. I'm also a pretty big dude at 5'8 and 250 and I really liked the car when I test drove it a while ago but it was also an automatic. Modding the suspension would be first on my list on that car.

matmanx1

Thanks for the review, Jong, I appreciate it. I need to go drive one for myself at some point but my closest Mazda dealership is almost an hour away. It will happen at some point but I'm not in any rush since my NC is so much fun.

Anion

I got some extra cash and was debating between a Miata or the Fiat Abarth Spyder. Most likely I won't get either but it's fun to think about haha

Makki

Repairs can happen with any car, and unless you buy Japanese they will happen. The dealer might have put this thing out there with barely any inspection which is why you got caught with all these fixes even though it got "certified". At least it ain't out of pocket and all these things are non drivetrain related so once they are fixed you should be good.

SliChillax

I really hope the GT350 Mustang tanked in sales due to shitty dealers and their mark ups. They need to learn a fucking lesson, here in Europe they're over 80,000 euros! On the other hand I don't want Ford to suffer and not make a successor to the GT350. Seriously, fuck dealers. Dealers are killing the special cars and the same story goes with the ZL1 Camaro and BMW M2, both cars that I was in the market for until I saw the prices. 75,000 euros for a BMW M2, over 90,000 euros for a Camaro ZL1. I'm gonna have to settle with the Camaro SS cause that's the only one that is being sold at a reasonable price (around 54,000 euros fully equipped). I'm seriously thinking about importing a Camaro ZL1 from Canada but I don't have the time to learn how it works.

Top Bottom