• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Noshino

VanMardigan said:
These browser designs don't make any damn sense. Why is the address bar so damn big when all I type in is neogaf.com, espn.com, and hulu.com. I don't give a damn about the rest of the address.

Who really cares about seeing the "/href#2334222323/client=android" bullshit at the end of a webpage address? Or if I MUST see that garbage string, let me click a button to extend it, but I guarantee you it will be the most underutilized button on the browser. Nobody cares. Move the bookmarks and all menus up there, make the tabs thin, and give me the rest of the window for the webpage, which is the reason I opened your stupid browser to begin with!

Why move the bookmarks up there? there isn't nearly enough space for them, putting them in the same row as the address bar would just be too much, specially when....

...the extension icons are on the same row with the address bar, and the more of those you have, the smaller your bar gets.

Also, what are these "all menus" that you are referring to? every menu is already the wrench, I have no idea which other "menus" you are talking about :lol

exarkun

What a nice upgrade. It feels faster, simpler, sleeker, and all around a better experience. Did I mention it feels faster? :lol

I've been trying to get all of my friends, fellow students, family members, and whoever to pick up on chrome but most of them either have macs (and claim Safari is better) or love them some internet explorer/firefox. People are just missssing out.

Jasoco

Banned
Actually, I want the Dev or Beta build. But I'm on OS X, and I understand it doesn't have acceleration yet. But once the 7 beta/dev has all the stuff in place, I switch again. I've switched Chrome versions more than any other browser. And all my extensions have never once stopped working. Unlike some other browser I know. I'm looking at YOU, Firefox.

Canaries don't work on OS X.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
exarkun said:
What a nice upgrade. It feels faster, simpler, sleeker, and all around a better experience. Did I mention it feels faster? :lol

I've been trying to get all of my friends, fellow students, family members, and whoever to pick up on chrome but most of them either have macs (and claim Safari is better) or love them some internet explorer/firefox. People are just missssing out.

I've built up some goodwill with my parents from switching them to Gmail (for the free calls), so sometime soon I'll make a coordinated assault to get them to switch to Chrome from IE8. :)

I wonder if Google sells Chrome shirts... Edit- They do!

Then maybe I'll try getting them into RSS and Google Reader. But that has to come gradually.

exarkun

Andrex said:
I've built up some goodwill with my parents from switching them to Gmail (for the free calls), so sometime soon I'll make a coordinated assault to get them to switch to Chrome from IE8. :)

I wonder if Google sells Chrome shirts... Edit- They do!

Then maybe I'll try getting them into RSS and Google Reader. But that has to come gradually.

GR is a bit much for me. I'm gone a week and there is just a toooon of reading for me to do. As fun as it is to browse on a lazy Saturday, sometimes its a little overwhelming. Maybe I should reduce my sources but I want the full picture :lol

Edit: T-Shirt looks like shit lol. though the soccer jersey...hmmm

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
exarkun said:
GR is a bit much for me. I'm gone a week and there is just a toooon of reading for me to do. As fun as it is to browse on a lazy Saturday, sometimes its a little overwhelming. Maybe I should reduce my sources but I want the full picture :lol

Edit: T-Shirt looks like shit lol. though the soccer jersey...hmmm

Yeah, I'd tell them to keep only a few sources at first. Teaching them to add sources though will probably be hard. :lol

Yeah unfortunately it's not that great. :/ Even still!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blu_LED said:
Little did I know that the "About Google Chrome" update checker does not work at all.

It doesn't work for the PortableApps version. However, for all my other Chrome installs I've had no problems.

Noshino said:
Weird...mine does

Does it even load at all?
I've been doing it all day, since downloading it from the site just downloaded the whole thing, not an update, and it's been saying 5.0 is up to date. I had the grand idea of replacing the one I downloaded with my current one, and that worked. I thought it wouldn't since it wasn't just an update file.

I feel dumb.

I dled it but http still shows up in the address bar. Did mine even get updated? How can I check what version I have?

edit: HA, all i had to do was close and open chrome again. I feel stupid.

Jasoco

Banned
Noshino said:
Weird...mine does

Does it even load at all?
Mine worked once.

ONCE.

It downloaded, installed, and asked me to restart.

The rest of the time it says 'Server not available'. But it says this AFTER it downloads the DMG and mounts it. I can tell because I have Hardware Growler. How can it crash at the server part when it's already done downloading?

I always end up downloading it from Google.

Just use Sparkle already, guys!

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
Yes, now take that and cut the address bar in half. You know I'm right and there's no good reason it needs to be so big.

What would you do with the extra space if you cut the address bar in half? Just curious what you'd rather have there instead of the URL bar.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chrome still isn't Color Managed, right? As much as I love it, I'll be hoping on IE9 'cause Google keeps ignoring this.

nib95

Banned
Was about to say I didn't even notice a difference, but actually, pleasantly surprised. It does indeed seem faster.

Rezbit

I just downloaded Chrome for the first time. Been mainly using Firefox, but I think I might make the switch...this shit is SLICK.

Zeliard

Rezbit said:
I just downloaded Chrome for the first time. Been mainly using Firefox, but I think I might make the switch...this shit is SLICK.

lol Firefox ;)

Only thing I ever use it for anymore is Quake Live.

Chrome support please, id, for the love of god.

saunderez

Rezbit said:
This.

Thanks Google for making the changeover process easy. Brought over my Bookmarks Toolbar automatically and after installing AdBlock and Stylish I'm back in action.

Nabs

Zeliard said:
lol Firefox ;)

Only thing I ever use it for anymore is Quake Live.

Chrome support please, id, for the love of god.

dude. quake live works with chrome and it's spectacular.

I have no idea why but Safari basically decided to quit working on all my computers.

Possibly has something to do with my ancient router but anyway... I love Chrome it's great. Would like some tweaks here and there but kudos Chrone Team!

mandiller

D4Danger said:
I just found out Chrome has a context menu api and whipped this up quickly.

unless somebody beats me to it (or already has) I'll try and put this up soon for people to download

http://i.imgur.com/pXIll.png[IMG]

(it won't look this bad)[/QUOTE]

I love you. Link me ASAP. I really cannot understand why Google has 'inspect element' instead of a properties button (or both). So infuriating to try and find an images url and pixel size without opening it up in a new window.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I like to watch video game streams on my other monitor with full screen. Has anybody found an extension that doesn't disable the full screen when I click on my other monitor?

Zeliard

Nabs said:
dude. quake live works with chrome and it's spectacular.

Gives me this bullshit:

2q0j76w.png

How'd you make it work?

Nabs

do you have the latest quake live installed (through firefox)? once i did that, it has worked in chrome. i am even able to update in chrome now.

delirium said:
I love Chrome but I wish it had an Awesomebar like Firefox.
it's built in. unless the awesomebar does more than i realize.

Zinga

Banned
Been loving Chrome since I switched from Firefox last year, I am very skeptical of Google's monopolistic tendencies when it comes to the internet but I can't resist a good product.

IE9 is shaping up to be really good though, in fact I have a feeling it will win some fans so if it's better than Chrome i'll have to look into it....

Q: does google still install other software with Chrome (an updater of some sort iirc)? And if so, how prevent that from happening?

irfan said:
Is there a way I can save a browser session, like a window with 3 tabs?

I use an extension called FreshStart. Works well, its only weakness compared to SessionManager in Firefox is that FreshStart automatically only saves your last browsing session. So if you accidentally close a session or you have a crash, and you forget to restore and save the previous session next time you start the browser and then you accidentally close Chrome, that session is lost forever. Whereas in SessionManager for Firefox automatically saved sessions are not overwritten.

Of course you can manually save a session at any time.

Desperado said:
Love that the [X]/stop loading page button is integrated with the reload page button. Having that on the right side of the screed didn't make much sense to me.

Agreed. That always bothered me.

Gui_PT

Himuro said:
*install Chrome*
*click link*
*images don't load*
*refresh*
*only half the images load*
*refresh*
"Can't load page"
*uninstalls Chrome and goes back to Firefox*

Never ever had that problem. Not even with older versions of Chrome.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
How can anyone use firefox anymore? Maybe is my install but the damn thing takes forever to load up compared to Chrome :/

Meeru

Banned
Himuro said:
*install Chrome*
*click link*
*images don't load*
*refresh*
*refresh*
"Can't load page"
You got some virus

Himuro said:
*install Chrome*
*click link*
*images don't load*
*refresh*
*refresh*
"Can't load page"

Do you think that's a common issue and we all just put up with it? It's not.

carlosp

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
How can anyone use firefox anymore? Maybe is my install but the damn thing takes forever to load up compared to Chrome :/

takes a second for me. But did you try the beta for 4? ddaammnnn that thing is ffaassttt!!!!

Nabs

carlosp said:
takes a second for me. But did you try the beta for 4? ddaammnnn that thing is ffaassttt!!!!

first launch of the beta always takes me 10+ seconds. the ui also needs work. they tried to make their own version of chrome, but left that ugly firefox button up there.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've switched from Firefox to Chrome with this release. It does seem much faster than FF. However, there are a few things that I miss. I had some userstyles running in FF that would display spoiler text by mouseover.

Does anyone know if there is a similar extension for chrome?

Lorr

What does the awesomebar do that the omnibar doesn't? I'm curious because I couldn't live with out being able to search from the omnibar. Every other browser seems so clunky without it.
RbBrdMan said:
I've switched from Firefox to Chrome with this release. It does seem much faster than FF. However, there are a few things that I miss. I had some userstyles running in FF that would display spoiler text by mouseover.

If it's a userstyle, you should be able to just install it to Chrome.

Threi

notag
RbBrdMan said:

if it's a userstyle you can just install it directly (as it's own extension), or you can use chrome's stylish extension (exactly the same as FFox)

tabsina

Himuro said:
*install Chrome*
*click link*
*images don't load*
*refresh*
*refresh*
"Can't load page"

maybe you should look into why that is happening, that can't be a good sign for your computer

carlosp

Banned
Nabs said:
first launch of the beta always takes me 10+ seconds. the ui also needs work. they tried to make their own version of chrome, but left that ugly firefox button up there.

i have a dualcore with win7 64bit and it takes me less then two seconds to start firefox.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Threi said:
if it's a userstyle you can just install it directly (as it's own extension), or you can use chrome's stylish extension (exactly the same as FFox)

Thanks I'll go look for it. I wasn't sure if Chrome supported userstyles, guess I should have checked that first. :lol

Top Bottom