• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Why should they let it play out, the story team is brutally incompetent. I mean the lore in this game is garbage, did anybody enjoy thrall's "marriage", or all the "it's just a setback's"?

A lot of the lore is garbage, but what is bitching about Theramore going to change?

thrall sucks, he was never any good.

Funny thing is he wasn't even the best orc character in war3....it was Hellscream. He drank the demon blood, fucked up ashenvale and made the sacrifice against mannoroth.

Cipherr

Still a bit bitter about them removing all the keys and the Keymaster achievement though, after we had already earned it. No Feat of Strength or anything, just poof! That would have made a great title-granting achieve. I think it's the only instance where they did something like that and just straight up removed an achievement.

Yeah that was DEFINITELY bullshit. They just took the keymaster and didnt make it a FOS or anything. Sent me some mail with a few gold or something for some keys.

That was low.

Edit:

I dont know how many people care but I think I should mention this. With the game being so old, sometimes you create alts, or server transfer etc and have trouble getting a name you might want because most of them are taken. I ran into this lately with a rogue alt I have been leveling and decided to see if I could get a GM to release a name that was taken, but probably on an inactive account.

Click to make it readable

Good news is that they will do it. A guildie told me that they will free up the name if its on an inactive account. Apparently if that old person ever reactivates, they will get a free name change prompt when they log that character in (sucks for them). Just a FYI for those who might want to take a shot at a common/taken name. Seems you have to copy your WTF folder settings from your old name to the folder for your new character name, it resets your whole UI and bindings if you dont.

markot

Banned
Most people are not even angry that theramore is being destroyed, it's just how poorly alliance lore is done.. And lore in general.. I mean the biggest thing alliance has is helping horde remove a leader that horde hates more than the alliance...

Arment

It seems lazy because if the raid takes place in Orgrimmar they're just reusing sets like in Dragon Soul and the heroics. I can also imagine, even as a Horde player, how neglected Alliance players must feel.

I get what they're doing this expansion with the whole Horde vs. Alliance and then ultimately banding together to take out Garrosh in the end. Kind of a lull from the past three expansions though. Hopefully there are some creative raids in the first two tiers.

Thanks to finally having a full complement of 5 friends who play together (and a couple more who play rarely), finished Glory of the Cata Hero last night.

Really pretty easy, the only hard ones were Headed South (seriously), Vigorous Van Cleef and It's Frost Damage.

Headed South was genuinely pretty damn hard at launch (well, there was the Army of the Dead glitch, but that was patched before my group could do it that way). Even then, it took 2 days to get it for everyone in our group because it fucked up on some people.

Faster than the Speed of Light I'm sure is pretty easy now, but the DPS requirement was pretty strict near launch wearing just blues and maybe a couple epics at most.

Sun of a... I'm pretty was an even more severe DPS check and was the last achievement our group got (aside from a few we may have had to wrap up for someone who missed one for whatever reason). Again, I'm sure it's a non-issue now.

I think the timed Van Cleef one we kind of cheesed by having a Shaman ankh after ignoring the Worgen part.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Headed South was genuinely pretty damn hard at launch (well, there was the Army of the Dead glitch, but that was patched before my group could do it that way). Even then, it took 2 days to get it for everyone in our group because it fucked up on some people.

That's the last achievement I'm missing for my drake. The last one I got was Vigorous VanCleef Vindicator and that was on March/24/2011.

I hate Headed South with a passion. >:|

[edit]

I don't even understand how we got Vigorous VanCleef Vindicator the first time around. Our tank somehow got last in the last part so I had to pull the mobs and a DPS died during the mario part.

Yeah, we would never have managed Headed South at launch. It felt impossible to do it the "standard" way, so the strategy we ended up using was to keep all the big adds alive and just whittle the boss down through his 90% damage reducing shield. And then kill the 3rd add last and burn the boss down the last few hundred thousand health.

Took a long ass time and I would never have had the mana regen to heal the whole time with launch gear.

Oh, and the last one in BRC (ascended descendant?) was hard for our hunter, but the rest of us didn't have to do anything. Except I got to use Leap of Faith in a useful way, yay.

Yeah, we would never have managed Headed South at launch. It felt impossible to do it the "standard" way, so the strategy we ended up using was to keep all the big adds alive and just whittle the boss down through his 90% damage reducing shield. And then kill the 3rd add last and burn the boss down the last few hundred thousand health.

Took a long ass time and I would never have had the mana regen to heal the whole time with launch gear.

Oh, and the last one in BRC (ascended descendant?) was hard for our hunter, but the rest of us didn't have to do anything. Except I got to use Leap of Faith in a useful way, yay.

Ascendant Descending was pretty easy for my group. I was in charge of kiting :p Frost DK specced into Chillbains. So I just sort of ran around in circles using Howling Blast on the adds. With occasional assistance from one or two other people (Body and Soul at times I think.) I couldn't really DPS the boss, but that didn't really matter.

markot

Banned
thrall sucks, he was never any good.

Funny thing is he wasn't even the best orc character in war3....it was Hellscream. He drank the demon blood, fucked up ashenvale and made the sacrifice against mannoroth.

Thrall was always terrible, I agree.

It was blizzes 'Lets make orcs good with mr good orc!' And they did... but they didnt change the other orcs or Horde. So it was like having Chamberlain in charge of Nazi Germany.

The lore department just sucks. Metzen and Knaaaaak should be fired and that chick writer should be put in charge, she seems to write the least terrible stuff, while being tasked with writing with terrible characters and what nots.

Honestly. If I were blizz, I would just move ahead 100 years at the earliest chance possible.... Because they are bogged down by so many stupid things and loose ends. Hell, blow up azeroth and kill 99% of the lore characters and start over imo.

The fact is, on the one hand they say 'horde v alliance is the core of the universe!' but... it isnt... its these big bad things that the factions constantly ally and work together to overcome.... they cant choose, its ridiculous.

Either big bads that we must unite to defeat, or Faction warfare. Not both. It doesnt work.

Now while it would be interesting to have a well written story of Aliens invading during WW2 and seeing allies and axis unite to defeat them or whatever, you need good writing to pull that stuff off. Blizz doesnt have that.

I mean, thats why the original BGs were these 'side' factions, not the actual ones... Because the Alliance and horde werent at war.

But now its like.... it feels like they are just trying to get over it and get back to AND THEN SAGARAS AND RAWR UNITE OR DIE!

Its sad because either 'dedicated' way would work alot better, than the middling half way that they chose.

markot

Banned
I miss the class quests. :(

I remember when I asked for more, and for blizz to fix the druid quests, and make use of the Panther god thing in moonglade.

Now there are none except for ones for some loot in some instances...

Hell, now we dont even need trainers, and they are getting rid of buying talents in mop.

Class quests are now restricted to legendery weapon quests that 5% of the players can do.

Hell, its pretty much all swtor has going for it >.<

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How long did it take? :D

Also, I would so take a heroic version of BRD. It's a mini-raid in scope. Hell, even more complex than some raids.
About 3 hours. Got from level 50-53.5 I was just aoe pally tanking everything in sight, not really looting much. We realized we needed 3 more keys for the heart of the mountain after clearing most of upper city (turned out to need another 2 as well) so we zigzagged a bit and did lower BRD as well. Cleared out the upper arena. Oh god.

markot

Banned
So they brought up wow in the trial of that norwegian nut. Here is the pic they showed

sqlqonaf.0sj.png

Sarcasm

How is a good method for obtaining Lesser/Greater Nether Essence. I looked on wowhead and nothing I can really make with tailoring.

Sethos

Banned
Any ElvUI users out there? Anyone else get hit with the Tukui butthurt stick and they've now moved to the "Oh download it from our site instead of Curse" - Annoying. They even updated the damn UI once a day, now they expect us to do that manually.

aesop

Any ElvUI users out there? Anyone else get hit with the Tukui butthurt stick and they've now moved to the "Oh download it from our site instead of Curse" - Annoying. They even updated the damn UI once a day, now they expect us to do that manually.

I use it. It's been effing up a lot lately. I like it's simplicity and tiny memory footprint, but it's really becoming a pain.

idlewild_

Ascendant Descending was pretty easy for my group. I was in charge of kiting :p Frost DK specced into Chillbains. So I just sort of ran around in circles using Howling Blast on the adds. With occasional assistance from one or two other people (Body and Soul at times I think.) I couldn't really DPS the boss, but that didn't really matter.

I really enjoyed Ascendant Descending when I did it with my dk. We didn't have a good ranged aoe slow, so we kited the boss around the room and took turns pulling the adds off each other and slowing them when we could. Took a while to get the boss down, but it was a lot of fun.

On the other hand, screw Headed South. The first time we got it our healer got knocked off the platform and missed the achieve.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Raid-time... oh joy.

Look forward to my rage.

Honestly. If I were blizz, I would just move ahead 100 years at the earliest chance possible.... Because they are bogged down by so many stupid things and loose ends. Hell, blow up azeroth and kill 99% of the lore characters and start over imo.
Yes! I think this would be the perfect way to reboot the game and have people start over at level one. I can dream at least. I know you were only referring to lore and i'm somewhat alone in my thinking, but I like the idea, anyway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aaaaaaaaaaan fuck this game.

Yoshichan

Haha, all you need to know is that I'll be gone when Diablo 3 is out.

May 15 is the day progress dies. My guild will probably go down to 10 man, if that, until Mists comes out.

Good point. I'll be curious to see what happens to my guild seeing as some of them ONLY play Warcraft when it comes to gaming. :\

(As in I wonder if some of the other guildies will lure them away when the other part of the guild is playing DIII.)

Yoshichan

You're not forced to do shit, it's a video game.
:lol silly goose. "It's a video game"-argument is the oldest shit argument I've kept hearing over and over again since 2000.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
:lol silly goose. "It's a video game"-argument is the oldest shit argument I've kept hearing over and over again since 2000.

He's right though, you're never forced to raid, unless your raid leader is your wife or dad or something. And even then...

If you dont like it, just stop. No one can force you to play WoW.

Alex

Why are you forced to raid, anyway? You seem so reluctant to talk about it, despite the fact that you keep bringing it up, you can't just tease people with drama and not deliver. I assume the reasons are probably just the standard Days of our Neckbeards soap-opera affairs dealing with e-rep or some DKP system, etc.

Maybe you're just really young or something, but the fellow above is right. Rip that bandaid off, you have nothing to lose, these people might as well be imaginary and are easily replaced if you ever want to come back.

I can't say I could ever imagine what an odd position I'd have to be in to feel obligated to play a video game I didn't want to (felt that way one time, during WOTLK when I wanted to take my wife out on a raid night that I was *ZOMG needed!* for so I quit on the spot, part of the reason why I don't dig scheduled end game systems so much), so for the sake of things I hope it's something more sinister, like your boss is your raid leader and you want a promotion.

I wonder if stuff like that ever happens? Someone could make a really good site for MMO/Video game drama if they were so inclined.

jersoc

I wonder if stuff like that ever happens? Someone could make a really good site for MMO/Video game drama if they were so inclined.

when my guild was active and in vanilla we had all kinds of crazy ass drama, people talking so much shit about others, others attempting to cock block on loot by out bidding on dkp just out of spite, people traveling across the country to sleep with another member who had a boyfriend in the guild and the resulting fallout, a pedo.

good times though.

so yeah, i'm sure that happens.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The hell happens in your raids that pisses you off so much, anyway? I sometimes get stressed out when progressing on a boss and we're wiping a ton but I never actually get pissed off.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The hell happens in your raids that pisses you off so much, anyway? I sometimes get stressed out when progressing on a boss and we're wiping a ton but I never actually get pissed off.
IIRC, they've been wiping too much on bosses they had on farm a few weeks ago.

My first thought was is it substitutes bringing people down? But, nope.

Yoshichan

ITT: People don't know the role of a GM.
edit: ^Changed to something more accurate.

He's right though, you're never forced to raid, unless your raid leader is your wife or dad or something. And even then...
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

edit: Oh boy it's raid-time today! YAY!!!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ITT: People don't know the role of a GM.
edit: ^Changed to something more accurate.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

edit: Oh boy it's raid-time today! YAY!!!

You can put the guild on hiatus now, since you're doing it on the 15th apparently anyway.

If you're not coming back again and plan to pass GM, pass it.

If you plan to stay GM and not raid, stop raiding.

Top Bottom