• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comprehensive List of Wind Waker HD Changes

Nyoro SF

Sup guys, thought I would put together a list of ALL the changes (minus the graphical ones) because there are still quite a lot of people unaware of all the changes, especially those who are playing the game, heh. Might be useful to save some time.

Also this will be nice for people buying the retail copy. Feel free to add anything in the comments. As for me, I managed to get the Swift Sail early through luck, which was huge for the rest of the game for me. It's no exaggeration to say that the Swift Sail and Wind Waker conducting changes makes the game 10x more enjoyable to play.

Sailing
  • Can now acquire the Swift Sail in the Windfall Auction.
  • Swift Sail doubles sailing speed and forces wind to always be at your back.
  • Getting hit while in your boat doesn't knock you off of it unless you take an excessive impact.
Pictographs
  • Can now take up to 12 Pictographs.
  • No longer need the Bug from the Forest Haven to finish the Deluxe Pictobox quest. It is upgraded automatically after you do Lenzo's three picture requirements.
  • Each photo now gets a rating the moment you take it, as opposed to when you arrive to exchange it.
  • Pictographs can be submitted multiple times in one visit to be exchanged for figurines.
  • Can download/submit Pictographs using Tingle Bottles, making collecting the tough/missable ones MUCH easier. Also, you get to keep your photos if you send them via Tingle Bottle/Miiverse.
Quest
  • Added Hero Mode: Available from the start, can toggle before loading your save. Take double damage, no heart drops of any kind. Can only heal via fairies, soup, potions or heart piece pick-ups.
  • Five Triforce charts have been replaced by the actual pieces.
  • Five new Treasure Charts were added into the quest to take the place of the Triforce Charts.
  • The starting wallet now has an upper limit of 500, as opposed to 99.
  • Tingle is introduced as part of the main quest.
  • Orca no longer knocks you down if you screw up the sword tutorial once.
  • Tingle Statues are now found by laying down regular bombs instead of the Tingle Bombs (that no longer exist) at their hidden locations. There is no prompt or hints in game at their location anymore, meaning they likely just wanted you to check the internet!
  • Forest Water now expires in 30 minutes instead of 20.
  • Enemy Orbs always drop said enemy's special item, e.g. Joy Pendants, Skull Necklaces and Knight's Crests.
  • The Hero's Charm (Item that allows you to see enemy health levels) is now claimed at the end of the Savage Labyrinth rather than from Ms. Marie.
Actions
  • Can now alter grapple swing direction while swinging.
  • Can now move in first-person view while aiming the Bow, Hookshot, Grappling Hook and Boomerang.
  • Addition of gyroscope aiming controls (which can be disabled).
  • Climbing a block is no longer an alternate command. Think Ocarina of Time where you have to press into a block to get a climb command, except in WWHD it takes longer. :/
  • Can no longer snipe Molgera's tongue out of the air using the Hookshot.
  • Enemies have less invincibility after being struck, allowing multi-hits from Thrust attacks.
  • Deku Leaf now has a green indicator which shows where you will land on the ground if you cancel the Leaf.
  • Magic Armor now requires rupees to use instead of magic.
UI & Animations & Misc.
  • Pulling items from the sea floor is about 4x faster.
  • Grappling cutscene is faster.
  • Text speed is much faster.
  • Wind Waker songs will no longer repeat themselves after being conducted once.
  • Wind Waker's beat only starts when you conduct the first note, as opposed to being constant.
  • Wind direction change option has been moved to the bottom right, as opposed to being a full screen overlay.
  • Wind direction change option no longer auto-points based on the direction of the thumbstick, but has to be pushed left and right manually like a clock.
  • Wind Waker has been moved to a permanent position on the Gamepad's D-Pad; no need to go into the menu to equip at any time.
  • Grappling and cannon options while sailing are permanently on the D-Pad. No need to equip while sailing.
  • Cannon firing now has a tracker showing you the trajectory of your bomb and where it will land.
  • Can now hotswap items on the GamePad without having to go into a menu (You can still pause to swap).
  • Can alter camera controls to be reversed (thanks GameXplain).
  • Can remove HUD from the screen entirely save for hearts, magic and quick prompts.
  • Can review fish advice from the GamePad map without having to re-feed them bait.
  • Items that enemies drop and the ones you break from the Orbs take longer to disappear.
  • Enemies that die at sea now have their items fly towards you as drops. Accuracy is hit-or-miss.

Enjoy!

vanty

So when you take a photo you're immediately told whether it's good enough for a figurine? That was my #1 complaint with the game, triforce stuff was nothing compared to the rage of being told my boss photo was no good ahah.

Noogy

Thanks for compiling this. Sad to say I've never actually played much Windwaker until this re-release, and am enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Platy

You forgot "you can take selfies" but I guess everyone knows this by now

edit : and the message in a bottle one

Zornack

Hopefully all the changes aimed at speeding up text/animations/the fetch quest carry into Zelda Wii U. I don't want to be disappointed again like I was with Skyward Sword.

Also, as for additional changes, there's Hero Mode being available at the start and toggle-able in the menu throughout the game

Nyoro SF

So when you take a photo you're immediately told whether it's good enough for a figurine? That was my #1 complaint with the game, triforce stuff was nothing compared to the rage of being told my boss photo was no good ahah.

Yes, that is correct. I remember that anger of my youth, I think the photo I flubbed on was the Helmaroc King.

The Forest Haven part of the Pictobox Quest being removed is pretty huge; it means you can begin taking color pictures the moment you're finished with the Quest on Windfall Island.

You forgot "you can take selfies" but I guess everyone knows this by now

edit : and the message in a bottle one

Yep. Well, they aren't really changes that affect how you complete the game... so I think I'll leave them out for now.

Portman

If you submit a pictograph to Miiverse does it remove it from your inventory or can you still use it? Say for a tough one and you help a friend out and share it would you still be able to have a figure made or would you need to retake it?

Nyoro SF

If you submit a pictograph to Miiverse does it remove it from your inventory or can you still use it? Say for a tough one and you help a friend out and share it would you still be able to have a figure made or would you need to retake it?

You get to keep it. I'll add that in to the list.

I sent out about a dozen bottles with pictures of Tetra, Knuckle, The Full Moon, etc.

WillyFive

Here's also CosmoWright's list:

PATCHED

Wind Waker diving - you instantly come out of the wind waker mode when you go airborne
Dry Storage - Wind Waker diving is gone so you cannot do this. You can't do it even if you are super low to the ground and use the auto-cancel.
Forest Water Storage - no textbox appears on the screen
Soup Glitch - doesn't work with the pause menu. didn't try with the instant swap but I doubt it works
Sail Pumping - this either doesn’t save any time or just frames. slow slow slow.
Grapple the bell from below - doesn’t reach or something.
Leaf past Helmaroc - invisible force blocks you
Enter Helmaroc loading zone via zombie hover - die when you enter? needs investigation
Helmaroc King last phase skip - Helmaroc never attacked me near the wall, this might be patched.
Wind God’s Aria without Iron Boots - you get full force of wind immediately after cancelling the wind waker
C-up with the mirror shield - doesn’t work
Mirror shield through the floor in ET - this only worked with C-up, so its impossible now.
Invisible Makar glitch - he’s not there!
Crash game by standing on top of ghost ship chest - fixed!!
Climb the Bell ToG - cant stop while ringing

UNPATCHED

Manual Super Swim - probably never viable nonTAS but interesting...
Ledge clipping - works pretty much like TWW. I got password skip, ToG clip, even Hyrule electric field skip (but there does seem to be a rounding difference in how the game handles grabbing a ledge exactly in the center of a bomb)
Zombie hovering - works the same way as TWW so far, except you cannot pause during it. Even the home menu has a delay to resume control. No tingle tuner means no healing.
Hyoi Pear skip / grapple clip - works at birds peak rock to get early Triforce chart and skip the bait bag and hyoi pair.
Gossip Stone skip - works from the left side, you end up swordless, FF1 lighting is dark and weird. orca doesnt crash.
"Cosmohop", Bulb Skip, etc - this and all other minor techs work.
Menu buffering w/ L or control stick - works with pro controller.
Leaf pumping - works the same
Short Hover - works in normal mode (not hero mode)
Roll through wind to get iron boots fast - works
Miniboss skip in Earth Temple - still plays both music tracks at once
Earth Temple Boss Key Skip (OoB medli flight) - works, harder because no shadow below link for the shorthop alignment
Early Pot in Wind Temple - same as before, hit it with a fire arrow.
Wind Temple Miniboss without smallkey - normal ledgeclip.
Wind Temple damage boost - works
Wind Temple Aria skip using Sidling - works
Pick up Wizrobes out of the air - :)
L-slide clip with hookshot - works in diamond steppe and elsewhere.
Hammer through walls - useful in Cabana
Trial’s Skip - just a ledgeclip.
Double rope grab - gains extra momentum (2swing in niko 2)
Morth Glitch - a little different as you remain heavy throughout the glitch. Wii U has more memory too I guess.
Flight Control Platform Glitch - when you go out it drains your magic?? anyway it spawned the ship at windfall as expected.

NEW

double hits with sword - sometimes, maybe due to less damage invulnerability on enemies? unsure.
gyro aiming - really fast aiming, pretty accurate too. Like OoT3D. One of the few motion controls I approve of.
fastsail - changes wind for you, slows down near islands (maybe try boat jump right before it slows to maintain speed
grapple change angle while swinging - hold left or right to swing while changing your facing direction.
dont get knocked out of boat by stuff - dunno the specifics
dont get knocked down by orca if you mess up 1 time - this is nice.
pots etc that used to spawn 3 hearts / 3 magic / 3 fairies etc, now only spawn 2.
bomb targetting reticle - in the water when using bombs yiu can see where they will hit in advance
short grapple cutscenes - both ocean and on land.

UNKNOWN

molgera air snipes - ??

Just downloaded it this afternoon, but haven't gotten around to playing it because I have 2 midterms tomorrow. Will probably miss the song repeating itself, but the changes seem great over all!

Thanks for sharing!

I guess a Mario Sunshine HD re-release is out of the question what with the negativity the game got and the cubes pressure sensitive gamepad triggers used for FLUDD. However I would love if they made one and made little changes like the ones done to windwaker.

They could fix things like making it easy to keep track of which blue coins you've collected, which always annoyed me.

Although HD galaxy re-releases would probably be a better idea, what with shared wii remote input and the universal acclaim those titles received, and deserved, no question, I just would like to see sunshine with some enhancements.

Nothing, you just finish the three tasks for the photos and he gives you the upgrade.

Hmm, I actually don't like that, it was pretty cool to catch a bug, even if it was pretty pointless. I guess they didn't want anyone getting stuck on that quest and being prevented from sharing better pics.

So now the bug is useless, huh? Or even uncatchable?

This might be a stupid, oddly specific question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Can you shoot your bow while sailing?

I loved doing this from horseback in OoT, and always wondered why they took it out in ww, as it would have made sailing much more interesting... Pls someone say yes.

Best thing in the whole list.

Did you see the other guy's list above?

gyro aiming - really fast aiming, pretty accurate too. Like OoT3D. One of the few motion controls I approve of.

You know it's not "hold the pad up to the TV and spin around like a maniac," right? It's stick-assisted (or you could say the stick is motion-assisted) and it makes aiming really precise.

Nyoro SF

Hmm, I actually don't like that, it was pretty cool to catch a bug, even if it was pretty pointless. I guess they didn't want anyone getting stuck on that quest and being prevented from sharing better pics.

So now the bug is useless, huh? Or even uncatchable?

It's useless, but still catchable.. But I think it's a great change because you are less likely to miss important color photos early on.

This might be a stupid, oddly specific question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Can you shoot your bow while sailing?

I loved doing this from horseback in OoT, and always wondered why they took it out in ww, as it would have made sailing much more interesting... Pls someone say yes.

Yes, you can do it. However you can't shoot while your boat is moving, which I think is dumb. Pulling out the bow brings it to a complete stop.

There are some things they REALLY should have changed, but didn't, but this is a great step in the right direction.

Falcs

Banned
You know it's not "hold the pad up to the TV and spin around like a maniac," right? It's stick-assisted (or you could say the stick is motion-assisted) and it makes aiming really precise.
Who cares. I hate all motion control and as far as I'm concerned it can die in a horrible train crash.

They also changed the controls, namely R(ZR) doesn't work the same, all the time. In the GCN version, you'd walk up to a block and either press A to hop onto it, or press R to grab it. Now it's ram your face into it for five seconds to climb, and press A to grab.

I very much dislike this change. Only step back, IMO.

Guevara

It's kind of funny to see what basically amounts to Nintendo admitting certain parts of the game weren't fun. I liked TWW, but I'd like to see more of these "director's cut" type remakes.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait -- how do you submit multiple shots simultaneously?

I knew you could do multiple in a day, but I thought you still had to submit each one on its own.

Nyoro SF

They also changed the controls, namely R(ZR) doesn't work the same, all the time. In the GCN version, you'd walk up to a block and either press A to hop onto it, or press R to grab it. Now it's ram your face into it for five seconds to climb, and press A to grab.

I very much dislike this change. Only step back, IMO.

Oh god I knew something had changed about that, I was like why does it feel like it's taking longer to climb blocks? Adding it in.

Wait -- how do you submit multiple shots simultaneously?

I knew you could do multiple in a day, but I thought you still had to submit each one on its own.

Just keep submitting photos while standing in front of him, heh. I love watching him lose his shit when I submit a good shot. HAA... AHHH... HM....

I do it sometimes. It's actually very easy on Windows.

Just an FYI, the gyroscope controls in this game are really good and accurate/precise. Not "motion" based, per say, think of a pointer.

Yes, you can do it. However you can't shoot while your boat is moving, which I think is dumb. Pulling out the bow brings it to a complete stop.

There are some things they REALLY should have changed, but didn't, but this is a great step in the right direction.

My heart, she breaks all over again :(

It seems like such an obvious thing to include... Shooting gulls out of the sky while gliding over the waves would be so boss. Oh, well I still can't wait to pick up the retail version. WW might just be my favorite of the 3d zeldas.

Falcs

Banned
Just an FYI, the gyroscope controls in this game are really good and accurate/precise. Not "motion" based, per say, think of a pointer.
Alright, I'll have to admit I haven't played with a 3DS before.
So are you saying there's no need to actually move my arms/wrists?

I know this is sarcasm but I would be quite impressed if someone was able to do this.

It isn't sarcasm at all, motion control has always been the most accurate method for aiming. PC players in an FPS have a big advantage over those who play with joysticks.

Nyoro SF

My heart, she breaks all over again :(

It seems like such an obvious thing to include... Shooting gulls out of the sky while gliding over the waves would be so boss. Oh, well I still can't wait to pick up the retail version. WW might just be my favorite of the 3d zeldas.

I feel you bro. After all, you can shoot while riding Epona in OoT, so it feels strange that you can't shoot while sailing.

I feel like adding in a list of things they should have changed, that's one of them, even if it's a bit minor.

Alright, I'll have to admit I haven't played with a 3DS before.
So are you saying there's no need to actually move my arms/wrists?

You do move your wrists since you have to point, but there's no arm waving, flailing or waggle.

What's cool about this is that both options are enabled at all times, so if you decide to aim with the right stick instead of gyro, that works too. I think the disable option is there for people with twitchy wrists.

Oh, yeah, perhaps one of the best animation changes, although it might be a spoiler for some (do spoilers still count for a 2003 game?), so I'll post it in tags:

The Master Sword attacks non-Darknut enemies at a faster rate, thereby making it even more badass than before.

clubstoic

Banned
I don't know how I liked this game without these changes. Getting the map filled out by the fish is still annoying.

Nyoro SF

Oh, yeah, perhaps one of the best animation changes, although it might be a spoiler for some (do spoilers still count for a 2003 game?), so I'll post it in tags:

The Master Sword attacks non-Darknut enemies at a faster rate, thereby making it even more badass than before.

I actually covered that with the invincibility note heh.

Essentially during hitstun in most zelda games enemies become invincible so you can't Musou-style slice them to death and have to time your attacks.

But in WWHD they lowered the invincibility window, so thrust attacks on enemies tend to land double hits, which looks pretty badass.

One thing they didn't fix that I wish they had is that in both the Thrust and Vertical Strike Target Combos, the third strike tends to miss at medium range because they are upward swinging strikes. They didn't improve the hitbox of these moves so they still miss a lot. :/

No thanks... pass.

LOL well maybe the next future wave of games that you control with your brain will serve you well my friend!

I don't know how I liked this game without these changes. Getting the map filled out by the fish is still annoying.

I agree. The Swift Sail greatly improves this, but another change they didn't make is that you can still only hold three pieces of bait max per slot.

Also Beedle's "memberships" are still silly to obtain, a normal playthrough will usually net you about 25 points.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Just keep submitting photos while standing in front of him

Oh, so you still have to go through the submit prompt and dialogue for each photo, right? The "changes" made it sound like you could submit a batch of photos in a single transaction... which would save even more time, as opposed to submitting each photo and paging through his little spiel.

Nyoro SF

Oh, so you still have to go through the submit prompt and dialogue for each photo, right? The "changes" made it sound like you could submit a batch of photos in a single transaction... which would save even more time, as opposed to submitting each photo and paging through his little spiel.

Ah yes, sorry. You do have to sit through his spiel each time. I was just so happy at how much faster it was, that I forgot about that. Fixin'

Faster sailing sounds amazing as hell, but tingle tuner missing is just a giant step back.

Tingle Bottle is MUCH better. The Tuner was an interesting idea, but was about as fun as SMG multiplayer. The only really cool trick from the Tuner was the hover ability, and even then that had limited use.

Speaking of which, I forgot about the Tingle statue change... have to add in.

Top Bottom