• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ron Gilbert leaves Double Fine, announces iOS game

LiK

http://grumpygamer.com/2304836

Now that The Cave is done and unleashed on an unsuspecting world (ok, we did do a bunch of PR, so it wasn't exactly unsuspecting), it's time for me to move on from Double Fine and plot my next move.

So many games left to be designed.

I want to thank all the amazing people at Double Fine for all their hard work on The Cave. It was a true pleasure to work with every one of them over the past two years. So much fun. I will miss them all. And of course to Tim for creating the opportunity to come there and make The Cave.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to post some behind the scenes pictures we took during the game's development and stuff like this...

That's a complete map of The Cave exported from Maya by designer J.P. LeBreton. Bonus points if you can figure out what the pink dots are.

For the short term, Clayton Kauzlaric and I have been toiling away on another iOS side project that I'm going to focus on over the next few months. It's called Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG. I'll post some screen shots in the next few days.

I also have that PAX Australia keynote to write. How did I ever let them talk me into doing that. So much fun. So much pain. Maybe I'll just do a 45 minute Q and A session.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is now the second time he's joined a publisher, put out a mediocre game, and left immediately afterward?

I still think he's a funny guy.

wwm0nkey

Wonder what DF is going to do after the kickstarter game. Tim said they would be looking at investment options for Psychonauts 2 right?

Salsa

I expected this, to be honest, but I still didnt want it to happen because having Ron and Tim on the same company was just too dreamy.

Pyrokai

Noooooo.....what does this mean for the Kickstarter game???

I can't believe he's leaving. I feel like this company was catered for the Tim and Ron duo. Is he leaving the video game business entirely?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Disney did give him the opportunity to "make the game he wants to make" with the Monkey Island franchise!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Sad news. I loved The Cave.
Guess this means no DLC. :(

BearPawB

Banned

I can't believe he's leaving. I feel like this company was catered for the Tim and Ron duo. Is he leaving the video game business entirely?

Was he involved at all in the kickstarter? Besides basic idea throwing around?

Ron is a rambling man. I never felt like he was a double fine member. Rather a friend who they wanted to make one specific game with

Alchemy

I don't believe Gilbert had/has anything to do with Reds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Calling deathspank medicore is far too kind.

It was a competent game. The humor just didn't click with me at all. I imagine that, if you could get behind the humor, the game would have been enjoyable.

ZoddGutts

This is now the second time he's joined a publisher, put out a mediocre game, and left immediately afterward?

I still think he's a funny guy.

At this point of he's career he's a better fit for writing rather than leading/directing games.

Aaron

It was a competent game. The humor just didn't click with me at all. I imagine that, if you could get behind the humor, the game would have been enjoyable.
Much like the Cave, it was too clumsy mechanically for that to be true.

Zeliard

Wasn't a GAF poster one of the primary writers on Deathspank? Thought I recalled seeing some posts to that effect.

Sentenza

nothing, he wasn't involved

I mean sure he probably looked at it once and said "yeah I like this, I dont like that" but he has nothing to do with the project
They even joked in the Kickstarter pitch about his contribution to the project being close to nothing.

Schafer: "We also have Ron Gilbert. Maybe he will help".
*Gilbert gives a grumpy look and closes the door of his office*
Schafer (faking confidence): "Yeah, he will help".

Salsa

They even joked in the Kickstarter pitch about his contribution to the project being close to nothing.

ha, yeah, I remember that

d1rtn4p

Hmmmm why does this sound like mostly terrible news to me? Let's hope he gets started on kickstarting a spiritual sequel to Monkey Island 2!

Tan

I expected this, to be honest, but I still didnt want it to happen because having Ron and Tim on the same company was just too dreamy.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. It sounds like Ron has a lot of ideas and doesn't ever want to stop to work on something else.

I took that as an implication that he would be helping, actually.

FStop7

Banned
I never got the impression from the Kickstarter campaign that Gilbert was going to be significantly involved.

Eusis

I never got the impression from the Kickstarter campaign that Gilbert was going to be significantly involved.
The most that likely could've happened (and probably did, and still will) were jokes being bounced off of Ron Gilbert along with everyone else working there to see how good they were. Unofficial QA I guess.

Squire

Banned
Wonder what DF is going to do after the kickstarter game. Tim said they would be looking at investment options for Psychonauts 2 right?

DF will be fine. They have a pretty steady stream of downloadable titles going thanks to their in-office game jams.

Ron will have a Kickstarter going before the end of the year.

Skybound

Neo Member
The Cave was definitely not for everyone, but I loved my time with it. Nice little idea, fun implementation and suitably balanced tone too. Puzzles were fun, and clearly spirited within the "Choose your own adventure" mould.

Santiako

I just realised that he hasn't made a great game since 1993, that's 20 fucking years of mediocre games at best! Step it up Gilbert, become amazing again!

nbthedude

I wish the guy well, but I don't really like his games that much and his sense of humor doesn't resonate strongly with me, so I'd rather not have some of doublefine's talent being tied up on new games he would design.

Top Bottom