• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably 6 oz, but this is the silliest post I've seen in the thread.

Was a simple question. I have no scale and label was torn off before I found it, hence my edit. Replies like yours is usually why I stay out of this thread. I'll stick to google from now on for my silly questions to avoid the elitism by some in here.

kylej

Banned
First post in this thread, just looking for a little feedback on the regimen I'm putting together. Some things to know beforehand: I'm starting out in decent shape, I'm a hardgainer, I don't have much money to work with (at-home assets: pullup bar, barbell, dumbbells, plates) & I've been working out for years, but have never attacked it in a focused enough manner. Working on a moderate bulk with a focus on the arms (esp. forearms, as they're a trouble spot for me) as they'd benefit most from improvement. Here's the breakdown I've been doing for a few days now. I rotate Day A & Day B & exercise daily:

Day A (Weights)

4 x 12 Barbell curls
4 x 10 Reverse barbell curls
3 x 10 Barbell upright rows
3 x 5 Barbell deadlifts
4 x 12 Dumbbell wrist curls
2 x 12 Seated dumbbell curls
2 x 12 Dumbbell shrugs
2 x 12 Dumbbell side laterals
3 x 15 Barbell wrist curls
2 x 50 Weighted crunches
1 x 20 Modified vertical leg crunches

30 sets per workout? Less is more. With 5-3-1, I do 3 working sets, 5 sets of BBB assistance work, and maybe a set or two of miscellaneous work like inc db curls or rear delt raises. 10 sets at most, in and out the gym in maybe 45 minutes including showering. You need to focus on compound movements, and rest.

The Twins are sometimes broscience-y but this is one of the best vids they've done yet.

Volume advice - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ip87Olt82A&t=0m50s

balddemon

Banned
Can someone post a YouTube link to that rippetoe tricep exercise? I'm at the gym and wanna try it out. The one on the bench. Needs to be yt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqdtjlzJWQ

bit late, and not rippetoe, but the scott abel version is what i do, only i don't keep my arms at that angle the whole motion.

-

good day today

benched 165 3x5 - bodyweight, and with like 5 minute breaks in between but who cares
squatted 235 3x5 - feels good man, got a while to go before i hit 2x bodyweight T_T. also my core was killing me during this. time to do ab work
deadlifted 285 1x5 - it's amazing how hard picking up heavy fucking weight is. and how much it does for your body. ugh. wanna get that 315 in like 2-3 weeks.

Ashhong

Thanks for that.

I did the Rippetoe version today and my wrist was quite sore after. Borderline hurting. Do you guys think its because
1. wrist is weak
2. my form is wrong
3. weight is too high?

I am pretty sure the form was right. I did start it at 50lbs, and while it was heavy, it didn't feel too heavy for me to get the proper arm movement. Only my wrist was uncomfortable.

About an hour later now, and they feel fine btw.

balddemon

Banned
Thanks for that.

I did the Rippetoe version today and my wrist was quite sore after. Borderline hurting. Do you guys think its because
1. wrist is weak
2. my form is wrong
3. weight is too high?

I am pretty sure the form was right. I did start it at 50lbs, and while it was heavy, it didn't feel too heavy for me to get the proper arm movement. Only my wrist was uncomfortable.

About an hour later now, and they feel fine btw.

well make sure your wrists are straight/locked out. that is probably the only issue. you might try a thumbless grip as well. i know some of my friends have to do that, and after i sprained my wrist i had to use one too (not now though).

but yeah suicide grip, and make sure your wrists are straight.

Petrie

Banned
What, "tone"? Ha, I figured I'd be getting into a whole nest of idiosyncratic subculture here -- as Petrie proved with his shitty welcome -- so, yeah, I'll probably say things that come off as dumb. Thanks for actually giving feedback, though, it's appreciated. The thing is, I do plan to incorporate this stuff -- it ain't falling on deaf ears. That's why I'm here. Promise I'm not looking for Popeye arms; I understand the cliche, I understand that's what every guy that gets into this stuff wants. In all honesty, forearms are a trouble spot for me & always have been, so I do want that to be part of the attack. And yes, if there was a single body part I could improve, it would be arms, but not to ridiculous proportions.

Nerdy1, you're absolutely right & I wouldn't modify it drastically. Do you see any harm in adding barbell curls, reverse curls & wrist curls to that routine? Is there any room for resistance exercises? It seems like you all are avoiding them completely.
Just wanna say, there's no "elitism" here. You came into a thread where the OP has many good routines for someone like you, asking about the garbage routine you threw together. That isn't worth dissecting for you.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tried the lying tricep extension from Rippletoe's video for the first time today and that was some of the best tricep work I've done. I treated it as an assistance exercise and it was great.

Ashhong

well make sure your wrists are straight/locked out. that is probably the only issue. you might try a thumbless grip as well. i know some of my friends have to do that, and after i sprained my wrist i had to use one too (not now though).

but yeah suicide grip, and make sure your wrists are straight.

Straight the whole way??? Like, even when going down behind my head? I don't see how thats physically possible...when I go down they bend back. Is that wrong?

Tried the lying tricep extension from Rippletoe's video for the first time today and that was some of the best tricep work I've done. I treated it as an assistance exercise and it was great.

Before today, did you do regular tricep extensions? I know "soreness" is not a gauge for how much of a workout you did, but my triceps didn't feel like they got worked out. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Petrie said:
Just wanna say, there's no "elitism" here.

No, there is, mainly from you. There's no good reason to throw about terms like "garbage" & "stupid" -- without a word about what one can do to improve, even if it does mean starting from scratch or referring me to the OP from the get go -- when someone comes looking for help. If it's "not worth dissecting," then why post at all? Or why not say, "I think you need to start from scratch"? Otherwise, you do come off as elitist & insular. Anyway, I'm not wasting my time going on about it -- unfortunately, it's to be expected in some amounts at an online forum, so that's what I got.

To everyone else who chimed in, thanks, honestly. It was useful. I'll take all the advice in hand & start over.

Petrie

Banned
No, there is, mainly from you. There's no good reason to throw about terms like "garbage" & "stupid" -- without a word about what one can do to improve, even if it does mean starting from scratch or referring me to the OP from the get go -- when someone comes looking for help. If it's "not worth dissecting," then why post at all? Or why not say, "I think you need to start from scratch"? Otherwise, you do come off as elitist & insular. Anyway, I'm not wasting my time going on about it -- unfortunately, it's to be expected in some amounts at an online forum, so that's what I got.

To everyone else who chimed in, thanks, honestly. It was useful. I'll take all the advice in hand & start over.
Because it shows you didn't bother to even read the OP, which is the bare minimum one should do to attempt to educate themselves instead of expecting to be spoon fed.

balddemon

Banned
Straight the whole way??? Like, even when going down behind my head? I don't see how thats physically possible...when I go down they bend back. Is that wrong?

Good point. I honestly cannot remember; I'll check tomorrow. I haven't done any assistance work until yesterday, so it'll be a learning experience for me. Just to clarify, you did them on a straight bench, right?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Before today, did you do regular tricep extensions? I know "soreness" is not a gauge for how much of a workout you did, but my triceps didn't feel like they got worked out. Not quite sure what to make of it.

On and off, but it was the conventional tricep extension Rippletoe advises against in the first part of his video.

With this exercise, I could feel the pump/burn in the latter part of my tricep that connects to the shoulder. I didn't even know that part of the tricep existed, haha.

Ashhong

Good point. I honestly cannot remember; I'll check tomorrow. I haven't done any assistance work until yesterday, so it'll be a learning experience for me. Just to clarify, you did them on a straight bench, right?

Yup on a straight bench. Watching the Rippetoe video, it looks like he's keeping his wrists straight, but thats mostly because he drops the bar behind his head so far that his forearms become vertical. I dont go that far, need to change that next time.

On and off, but it was the conventional tricep extension Rippletoe advises against in the first part of his video.

With this exercise, I could feel the pump/burn in the latter part of my tricep that connects to the shoulder. I didn't even know that part of the tricep existed, haha.

I know what you mean. I did the same conventional extensions before (and today at the end of my workout actually) and it feels like I am working a completely different muscle.

MjFrancis

Al Kavadlo's Raising the Bar ebook is out as of yesterday.

http://www.dragondoor.com/eb63/?apid=4e8cb1ea167b0

The print version is approximately six weeks away and I'm going to wait for that, as excited as I am for this release of the book. It's going to be interesting to see how much variation he takes from the Convict Conditioning method. It looks like he has a chapter on pull-ups, dips, core training, advanced pull-ups, muscle-ups, handstands, levers and a bit more. So you can tell there's going to be some different ground covered, not to mention he be presenting the book with the façade of a hardened prisoner like the CC books. That shtick got old (if not downright cheesy), but at least the methodology and training in the book was second to none.

When I get the opportunity to purchase the book in print I'll be anxious to see what improvements he's made to his tutorials and methodology.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Think I'm finally going back to the gym today to continue my stronglifts routine. Haven't been since last friday, got sick with a cold or something earlier this week. Also haven't eaten a whole lot the past few days. Any suggestions on how I should continue? Should I just assume I'll be weaker and down the weight on my exercises a bit?

went to the doc to have my back checked out and was told i strained/sprained a ligament in my lower back. gonna take about another 4-6 weeks to recover, for now, pain meds and physical therapy are in the works. hopefully some ultrasound treatment will help in addition to picking up some stretches and other exercises.

Bit-Bit

Anybody want to share their protein shake recipes?

In the morning I make this:

One scoop of strawberry whey protein.
A cup of ice.
A cup of water.
A banana.
A scoop of plain yogurt.

Izick

went to the doc to have my back checked out and was told i strained/sprained a ligament in my lower back. gonna take about another 4-6 weeks to recover, for now, pain meds and physical therapy are in the works. hopefully some ultrasound treatment will help in addition to picking up some stretches and other exercises.

Aw shit, I'm sorry man. :(

Think I'm finally going back to the gym today to continue my stronglifts routine. Haven't been since last friday, got sick with a cold or something earlier this week. Also haven't eaten a whole lot the past few days. Any suggestions on how I should continue? Should I just assume I'll be weaker and down the weight on my exercises a bit?
Only last Friday? If you ate and slept well in the last day, I'd continue as if no break. If you didn't eat well yesterday, get a good meal in before hand.

MjFrancis

My usual protein shake:

2 scoops whey protein
2 eggs
4 ice cubes
1 cup water
a splash 'o creatine

When I have oatmeal in the post-workout window I will also put in a scoop of whey protein for every two cups I eat. I always eat at least two cups.

I also put my whey protein in with some snack bars.

crpav

Anybody want to share their protein shake recipes?

In the morning I make this:

One scoop of strawberry whey protein.
A cup of ice.
A cup of water.
A banana.
A scoop of plain yogurt.

Not bad as I am very close to that except don't like yogurt in mine and I use skim milk. So why not milk over water? Skim milk? I only used water once because I was out of skim milk and just not a fan of water based shakes. I know people will say because they don't want the calories, fat or whatever but if training hard enough I don't see how it's going to make a big difference. If lactose intolerant than maybe but I don't want to get into the whole slower digestion issue, really I don't. It's such a small amount of milk so no harm....IMO.

ezrarh

I've shared this already but I think it's good enough to share again:

2 scoops double rich chocolate ON whey protein
2-4 cups 2% milk (depending on how you like your consistency)
1 avocado
1 banana
a few spoonful of vanilla or plain greek yogurt (2% to whole)
1-2 tablespoon of olive oil

It's delicious. It's a lot of volume but I drink half after workout and some a little bit after dinner. I'm really annoyed that I'll be missing my blender for the next 7 weeks since I'm living in a hotel suite at the moment and I forgot to bring my blender.

MjFrancis

That's funny that you just mentioned living in a hotel suite for a bit since I posited the question of what someone living in a hotel should do about training. Most hotel fitness centers aren't set up for barbell training. So are you falling back on a local gym or park? Bodyweight calisthenics in your hotel room?

Also, that's a bummer about forgetting your blender.

Petrie

Banned
yes

i could do the same routine and i wouldn't get half the results.

how important is diet when it comes to lifting? my diet is really crap. i barely get to eat anything because i don't have time to eat. have so many deadlines and assignments with uni.
Diet is one of, if not the most important thing to seeing results. If you aren't willing to make it a priority, don't expect results.

My usual protein shake:

2 scoops whey protein
2 eggs
4 ice cubes
1 cup water
a splash 'o creatine

When I have oatmeal in the post-workout window I will also put in a scoop of whey protein for every two cups I eat. I always eat at least two cups.

I also put my whey protein in with some snack bars.

Absolutely HATE oats in my shake, makes it feel like im swallowing my vomit!

-viper-

Banned
Diet is one of, if not the most important thing to seeing results. If you aren't willing to make it a priority, don't expect results.
here is a question.

say if i continue lifting and don't change my diet. i'm at 15% bodyfat at the moment. will my bodyfat drop, or will it remain the same?

Petrie

Banned
here is a question.

say if i continue lifting and don't change my diet. i'm at 15% bodyfat at the moment. will my bodyfat drop, or will it remain the same?
Could stay the same, could decrese slightly, could even increase. If you aren't eating well you wont gain muscle, and likely wont lose much fat. You'll remain relatively the same for most people.

If you aren't going to make your diet a priority, you're kind of wasting your time.

MjFrancis

Absolutely HATE oats in my shake, makes it feel like im swallowing my vomit!
Given the volume of powder in my oats it's more like adding sweetener to oatmeal than anything else. It's nice because I don't have to flavor my oatmeal that way, since the artificial flavoring in the whey protein already makes everything taste super sweet.

But I know the texture you are referring to. It's why I can't eat rice pudding.

Kwhit10

My after workout shake.

2 scoops ice cream
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop whey
12oz whole milk
1 banana

I'll add half an avocado or some greek yogurt if I have it.

Bit-Bit

You guys with the Ice Cream in your shake, aren't you worried about all of the sugar and cream? I have a banana in mine and I'm thinking about making it into half a banana because of all the sugar.

despire

i barely get to eat anything because i don't have time to eat. have so many deadlines and assignments with uni.

I'm sorry but how is this even possible? Boggles my mind. Eating is like the most basic human need, how can you not have time for that? Are you too busy to crap too?

deadbeef

yes

i could do the same routine and i wouldn't get half the results.

how important is diet when it comes to lifting? my diet is really crap. i barely get to eat anything because i don't have time to eat. have so many deadlines and assignments with uni.

Total Posts: 10,177
Posts Per Day: 5.94

I found some time for you!

;)

ezrarh

That's funny that you just mentioned living in a hotel suite for a bit since I posited the question of what someone living in a hotel should do about training. Most hotel fitness centers aren't set up for barbell training. So are you falling back on a local gym or park? Bodyweight calisthenics in your hotel room?

Also, that's a bummer about forgetting your blender.

My company is having me work in Burlington, MA for a little bit. There's a local gym that's like a minute's walk away from work so that was fortunate. Use to be a gold's gym, and as expected, only one squat rack. But so far no interruptions with my workout.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Were those not sufficient? I guess I can imagine some data that a biologist could add to the discussion, but I can't imagine a senario where one would study human beings attempting to increase athletic performance and their dietary needs.

Not trying to be smart here, but at your most basic level food in must be less than energy expended in order to have gains. You must have a proper balance of carbs, fat, and protein to be on a healthy diet. Should you have a flat increase in calories, say from being some sort of atlete, in order to either gain weight or increase your training, your protein consumption would need to increase anyways.

Also, it would appear that, even for endurance athletes, additional protein consumption would be necessary. However, that's not exactly conclusive.

MrCity's (that he's posted to me before) doesn't really come to any conclusion on the issue. Your link is actually sweet, but it recommends .8g/lb of bodyweight based off of that study, much less than the amount people are recommending in the thread. Although .8g/lb makes way more intuitive sense than 1.4+g/lb.

Besides squats, what are some good exercises for the ass? I would like mine to be a bit bigger. In general, I'd just like to know what exercises I can do that affect that area the most (or a good amount). I've recently started going to the gym, so if there are any machines, let me know. I'd also appreciate ones that don't require any (or minimal) equipment so I can do them at home.

I try to work out every other day, and when I do I intake a lot of protein when I wake up and after exercises. That would help a bit, I hope, but like I said, I don't really know any exercises that affect that area.

Mr.City

Besides squats, what are some good exercises for the ass? I would like mine to be a bit bigger. In general, I'd just like to know what exercises I can do that affect that area the most (or a good amount). I've recently started going to the gym, so if there are any machines, let me know. I'd also appreciate ones that don't require any (or minimal) equipment so I can do them at home.

I try to work out every other day, and when I do I intake a lot of protein when I wake up and after exercises. That would help a bit, I hope, but like I said, I don't really know any exercises that affect that area.

Glute hamstring raises and RDLs work well.

Gonna stop lifting for one or two months since I really cannot pin point exactly which exercises causes both elbows to hurt when lifting. It's definately medial epicondylitis.

I know for sure the following exercises causes pain:

-Pull ups/chin ups seems to be the biggest culprit for people that have the same problem
-Squats. Yes, keeping the elbows bent, ESPECIALLY putting the bar back on the rack hurts like a BITCH
-I haven't done bicep exercises in about 5 months, and I'm sure curls can cause the problem
-Any kind of tricep exercise?

I've also read that pulling exercises can cause pain and bending of the joints? When I read bending of the joints, It pretty much fucking means EVERY exercise.

So I'm just going to stop altogether for a couple of months and working stretching the shit out of my forearms and I guess do abs, calves, and leg press workouts.

kylej

Banned
Gonna stop lifting for one or two months since I really cannot pin point exactly which exercises causes both elbows to hurt when lifting. It's definately medial epicondylitis.
So I'm just going to stop altogether for a couple of months and working stretching the shit out of my forearms and I guess do abs, calves, and leg press workouts.

Cutting out all tricep isolation helped my elbows a lot. I cannot do any tricep iso exercises like skull crushers or pushdowns, it makes my elbows feel like they're going to explode.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If you care about performance, full squats or bust.

what is a "squat jump" and a "countermovement"?

Cutting out all tricep isolation helped my elbows a lot. I cannot do any tricep iso exercises like skull crushers or pushdowns, it makes my elbows feel like they're going to explode.

tricep stuff usually hurts my elbows but I can do french presses (not skull crushers) fine.

I've also read going very light helps, too. But I'm not sure if I want to take a chance and have the pain prolong while doing stretching exercises. I dunno, maybe I will. I'll ask a couple of trainers that actually know what they're talking about tommorrow.

And it's not my specifically my elbows as I've said. It's the medial epicondylitis/ulnar bone. It's that tiny round bone on the inside of your forearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom