• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

eXistor

Christopher said:
Does anyone wanna actualy just download that awful game just for the hell of it now?
Way ahead of you :)

Seriously the gameplay Angry Ninty Nerd showed of Dr. Jekyll is all you'll ever see, the game is inexplicably unplayable. I played two minutes then started frothing at the mouth.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I agree with all his reviews except for CVII, although I agree it would have been better without the day-night transitions, less cryptic puzzles (though shit like that happens in every generation. Remember that part in Breath of Fire 3 where you have to stand still 2 minutes to proceed?) and a few gameplay tweaks. I still love CV2 though. TMNT and The Karate kid were the two funniest reviews. :lol

BTW way back when, I mistakenly rented Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Like everyone, I was not able to progress more than a few feet from the house. Hmm, now I wanna cheat my way through it...

No6

I really want to see his reaction to the pink racer in RC Pro Am. The one that will suddenly drive 3x the speed of everything on the course.

Gart

Okay, what's the deal with this Dr. Jekyl thing? Is it really impossible to get pass that area or is it just hard and crap and it's kind of more of a joke type thing?

I'm tempted to try it out. Everyone must be playing it wrong ;)

ghibli99

Slowly making my way through the rest of these... :lol @ that TMNT review. The guy is funnier when you don't have to look at him, but I love the sounds of frustration when he couldn't jump on that platform to get the half-pizza. Too funny, and too many bad memories.

demi

Evenball said:
Remember that part in Breath of Fire 3 where you have to stand still 2 minutes to proceed?) and a few gameplay tweaks.

Breath of Fire III gives you the hint RIGHT THERE, so you can figure it out easily

Castlevania II tells you how to do it in a far-off book in a far-off dungeon from who the hell knows, so you're like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

eXistor

Gart said:
Okay, what's the deal with this Dr. Jekyl thing? Is it really impossible to get pass that area or is it just hard and crap and it's kind of more of a joke type thing?

I'm tempted to try it out. Everyone must be playing it wrong ;)
It's probably not impossible, but the gameplay and controls are just so bad that you just give up after a few minutes. I tried two times and I did get further the second time, I lasted...2 minutes?

I have to agree with the TMNT one.

I beat it, but not before I cussed as much as he did while playing when I was younger at a friend's house.

Wish he would have gotten to the Technodrome though and that whole portion where it's not in one location so you have to do another tedious grind to the bottom again just to find the damn thing.

Jasoco

Banned
Endgegner said:
I'm pretty sure that the sewer scene is actually in the third level and after the first scene with the small gap, although he showed the scene in the sewer first. When you first played it, you always thought you had the jump because why would a game developer insert a gap if you didn't have to jump. It was really annoying.

I think I beat the third stage 3-4 times but always died really quickly in the fourth level. I think they had no qa back in the days... this game would have been pretty good (great graphics, sound, big leves, not too repetitive) but the difficulty was incredibly flawed.
I'm guessing that gap with the raised platforms is what I call a "Tutorial Point. A part of a game or level whose sole reason for existing is to force the player to figure out what to do. Usually because it will be needed many many times in the future so you better get used to it now. Sometimes games will tell you what to do the first time. Sometimes the game will just throw it at you and tell you to figure it out yourself. TMNT being the latter.

It's like the first day of play in Pikmin, or the first level in Conker, or the first Bowser Battle (Or any battle) in a Mario RPG. You can't die if you try, it's only to teach you how to play through tough love.

Oh the hours of pain I've suffered because of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. . .

And he is so right about wanting to finish Karate Kid. I played that ****ing game for days just to beat it. I finally did, and the ending was like a slap to the face with an iron spiked glove.

God damn NES days :lol

eXistor said:
It's probably not impossible, but the gameplay and controls are just so bad that you just give up after a few minutes. I tried two times and I did get further the second time, I lasted...2 minutes?

I managed to get to the second area (a graveyard where birds literally drop pieces of shit at you) by just jumping over everything. I still don't get the point, I guess you just keep scrolling forever for no reason at all.

I still don't get the Hyde part, apparently when you hyde bar fills up you become Hyde. It seems to me that you are forced to go backwards while trying to keep the main life bar up. This part seems impossible but I think if you do get out alive you have to start back at the beginning or something.

The game is ass.

Jado

Banned
I loved that review. It brought back some fond yet cruel memories of time spent with TMNT. I beat the game when I was 8 or so, but it was ****ing brutal. It was my second NES game and probably took me months or maybe a year. I played TMNT2 at a friend's and my mom decided to finally get me a second game in addition to the packed-in SMB we had for months. My sisters' "helped" in getting it. Even though I had played plenty of TMNT TWO I was dumbfounded that a part one existed. Just never gave it much thought. The cover with the four "Raphaels" looked awesome so I didn't object, plus it was a NEW GAME.

shuri said:
What's hilarious is that I know exactly which jump you are talking about. You are talking about the mini jump right next to the door that leads you to the top of the dam, before you have to jump in the water.

The jump you have to do is super short, but your head will always bang on the ceiling, and thats when you dont get randomly attacked by one of those giant robot flies.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, you can shortcut jump onto that ledge right from the beginning, like the Angry Nintendo Nerd was trying to do during a part of his video review.

llTll said:
i reached shredder. and $@$#@ i couldnt kill him. i thought i was doing something wrong them i gave up

If you mean that the boss fight wouldn't end despite landing endless hits on him, then it may have been a glitch. Though as I remember it, I would play through the game when I was bored and found a glitch that I could eventually reproduce (or avoid): you kill Shredder just as you (or he) is in a certain spot of the stage and you're frozen in place while Shredder continues moving around and firing his raygun at you. You take no damage but you're basically stuck and the only thing left to do is turn off the game.

I had TMNT. I guess looking back, there's no excuse for the difficulty. But **** it, all games were like that. How the **** was I, as a 6 year old, supposed to beat Faxanadu? Or even Zelda, for that matter?

I won't have a bad word said about the game though. It was probably one of my favourite non-Nintendo NES games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
LOL

friend just linked me to the TMNT one and i searched to see if it had been posted

i cant explain how EXACT this guys review of the game is. so freaking HARD.

i got to the underwater part as a kid and i think couldnt get past it

demi

Inside the Ink & Paint Club... initially talking to Jessica Rabbit gives you the response "Find my Phone No. and give me a call". Indeed, if you search the leftmost table in the club you will find a phone number for "1-800-232-3324". Presumably this was the tip line for the game when it was released.

someone call it and find out

Xizer

Banned
I remember those games...I got them at a garage sale two years ago...I literally threw the cartridge at the wall after listening to that music for 10 minutes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
He needs to do the maybe slightly less awful but still pretty shitty sequel game, Back to The Future 2 and 3 next.

M3wThr33

Banned
I remember spending all day to get to the soda shoppe. I had barely any life left. I died really quick and just got pissed off.

bjork

This can be good if he doesn't rely too much on "I mean, I really don't want to play this game" to start every review and "shit sucking monkeysquirrel dongass mother****" or whatever for the ending. That part with the jumps on the TMNT one and the wooden stake on Simon's Quest were awesome.

:lol Another good one, I like how he interspersed the movie clips in this one. I remember renting Back to the Future and being so excited just to make it to the diner.

RegularMK

TMNT nearly made me kill myself at the tender age of eight. I dream about that dam level to this day. Correction, I have nightmares about it.

Hearing this guy rant about it has finally soothed my soul. Thank you, kind sir.

rareside

Haha, great review

I spent many hours on this game, only to beat it once.. One of my finer NES achievements. Only took 50 hours or so.

Man, I played that TMNT game to death. I had the underwater level down to a science, right down to the exact amount of button presses it would take to get through each part without touching the electric coral. I remember how annoying that non-jump was. The game just got ridiculous towards the end - I think I only got to Shredder once, and I played it like every day. It was just insane at the end.

Aeana

I loved McKids a lot. I rented it like every few weeks when I was a kid. Though, someone should tell Charles Deenen (the composer) to lay off of the arpeggios.

demi

Saw this on his YouTube

There will be one new video every friday starting 8/25 on screwattack.com. Then one week after each is on screwattack I will upload them here.
Best,
A.N.N.

Cool, something to look forward to

SuomiDude

TheGreatDave said:
I had TMNT. I guess looking back, there's no excuse for the difficulty. But **** it, all games were like that. How the **** was I, as a 6 year old, supposed to beat Faxanadu? Or even Zelda, for that matter?

Although not quite at the age of six, I still beat Zelda I at the age of 7 or 8, including the 2nd quest. I also beat Faxanadu at the same age, man what a great game it was :)

But TMNT... :O At best I could get into Technodrome and it was like once or twice only. So ******* hard game.

demi

The Professor? Was he even a part of the McDonalds lineup? CosMc? :lol

I only made it to Birdie's stage

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hmmm, that one wasn't up to the comedy standards of his last videos, I think it might be because McKids over here looks to be merely an average platformer rather then a completely shitty one. Basically it could have used some more anger.

Top Bottom