• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October EGM scores: Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk

Raist

Banned
Impossible. I don't trust EGM.

IGN gave HS a 7, they must be right.

I mean, people have been a little bit quick to forget that thanks to IGN, we learned that a MGS trilogy edition was gonna be released on the 360. They deserve a little bit more respect.

Alcibiades

how the heck did some college town in the middle of nowhere get the issues first?

I thought I'd missed some giant thread or something and had missed all the talk...

some more scores:

Corruption & Halo 3 no reviews, just mentioned in wrap-up saying they are worth getting
-"samus looks primed to go out with a bang"
-halo 3 "one of the most ambitous titles you'll ever see"
Wild Arms 5 - 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata - 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008- 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) - 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor Airborne - 6.5, 8, 5.5

The Mysims 6, 5.5, 6 scores are for Wii
And yeah, Shane gave Heavenly Sword the 9

XHitoshuraX said:
You have all overlooked the most important aspect of the issue...

WHAT THE HELL DID THEY SAY ABOUT SILENT HILL 5!?!?!?

ahem.

I think I'll probably just wind up buying this issue because of that story.

Ploid 3.0

I think HS can be great. I was playing Crono Trigger recently and thought to myself, "I'm fighting wave after wave of enemies like people said HS would be" the thing that keeps me going on crono is leveling, the story, and such. HS seems to have a great story delivery, and different gameplay segments/puzzles. I doubt it will be like a street fighter story mode of arena after arena fight. There just don't seem to be any exploring. I play DMC over and over due to unlocking things but it's still fun to go through to make mobs look stupid by beating them into the ground until a boss come to slow down my rampage.

Mojovonio

Banned
i really want to read the HS reviews to see why they liked it so much. The issues in the other reviews seemed pretty big, so maybe they other reviews just blew shit out of proportion.

Who reviewed HS?

nib95 said:
Not bad at all for the PS3. Also, considering EGM knocked a whole point off Warhawk for being more than $30, that means Warhawk would have scored 9.5, 9, 9.5!!

That's some rather odd logic...

Anyways with this three score thing, which review is considered the one to be used on sites like metacritic/gamerankings? The highest, lowest, middle, average?

spwolf said:
why?

p.s. thats how I would rate Wowhawk beta... probably even better for final, but it also depends if they tested final version which didnt have many players playing it... it is big difference to beta test with thousands of players...

Because they are a bunch of clowns who clown out real short, and generally uninformative reviews and previews for a living.

But for the record, the Warhawk score seems spot on based on the beta.

Alcibiades

XHitoshuraX said:
You have all overlooked the most important aspect of the issue...

WHAT THE HELL DID THEY SAY ABOUT SILENT HILL 5!?!?!?

ahem.
Fall 2008 for PS3/XBox 360 (no Wii version mentioned)

Sean

Banned
Actually those Warhawk scores are before the 1 point deduction, 1UP explains it here:

Positioning Warhawk's pricing is important for Sony, but the ripple effect has sparked debate within the 1UP Network. Sony won't tell us the pricing plans are, and as a result, EGM reviewers have been forced to include caveats in their write ups. Lead reviewer (and former OPM editor) Joe Rybicki actually placed a note in his review to EGM Reviews Editor Greg Ford that his score should be dropped a whole point if the price was announced above $30, and the other reviewers have expressed concern over how they should judge the game.

"What I don't understand is why Sony can't give us a price when it seems like internally they have one ready. The game is done, our reviewers have been playing it, and each one has asked about the price, which we certainly take into consideration in our reviews," says Ford. "Because of the lead time for a print publication, we're forced to go to print with a caveat in our review addressing this issue. Not ideal, and it seems unnecessary. It's too bad because otherwise, the company has been great getting us the review code, setting up multiplayer play sessions, and providing assets to go along with the review...just no price, which for some consumers is what matters most."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161677

$1148 Jack said:
People should really take notice of this (hopefully..) If you are a fan of any demo/pre-release beta etc. you should give that precedence over any score received. Much better than trying to convince yourself that the game is either better/worse than when you played it based on opinions other than your own.
Actually, to be honest, and I've said this a couple of times before, I didn't like the combat in the demo terribly much compared to Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. I just felt a lot more limited than those games, probably since there's no block or jump button and the camera is largely fixed.

I was hoping, however, that it's something that you grow to love over a few hours with it.

Alcibiades said:
Shame, a lot of people were looking forward to that as an exclusive
I'm shocked Shane is the 9 actually when he criticised the lack of platforming. I guess it's not game breaking now he has had the chance to play the entire game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hey, those are good scores.

I am excited to try those games.

edit: Fall 2008?!?!? What the FUCK

I do not have a 360 or a pc that could possibly run bioshock. that being said, i played the demo at a friends house, and long story short i will be picking up a 360 as soon as financially possible. my god, what a game.

tribal24

Banned
plagiarize said:
you really think 8,8,9 is a GOTY kind of score? it's a good score, but i expect ratchet and clank and uncharted to both do better.

i expect rachet to get the same score actually or alittle better

Weisheit

nib95 said:
Not bad at all for the PS3. Also, considering EGM knocked a whole point off Warhawk for being more than $30, that means Warhawk would have scored 9.5, 9, 9.5!!

Considering the $40 price isn't even an issue for me, it's basically a AAA online experience according to EGM. I absolutely loved the BETA, and it's a day one purchase for me.

warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5
Even with your twisted logic your wrong.

Norml

Both PS3 games should score no less, but Bioshock is over rated.

PS3 will never get a 10 with all the nitpicking it gets.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Alcibiades said:
how the heck did some college town in the middle of nowhere get the issues first?

I thought I'd missed some giant thread or something and had missed all the talk...

some more scores:

Corruption & Halo 3 not reviews
Wild Arms 5 - 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata - 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008- 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) - 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor - 6.5, 8, 5.5

And yeah, Shane gave Heavenly Sword the 9
Then MP:C wont even get a game of the month.

Visualante said:
I think that it is getting annoying that game X score = game Y score comparisons to support forum arguments. That could be the reason for the retard comment.

His comment was warranted though, as it was a response to someone mentioning "6.5s" as if there had been more than one such score. Mojovonio calling the guy retarded, however, was just Mojovonio being his usual charming nasty self and was certainly not warranted.

Mojovonio said:
because he's calling it the PS3 GOTY when the 2 biggest games haven't even been released yet, maybe?

Did you quote the wrong post then or what?

gcubed

Mojovonio said:
because he's calling it the PS3 GOTY when the 2 biggest games haven't even been released yet, maybe?

didnt think that poster said it. That poster mentioned 6.5's for warhawk and tried to dispell the fact that somehow their were multiple low scorew

Top Bottom