• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Registers "Wipeout Trinity" (also, Wipeout 2048 too!)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Greatest racing game series ever... really excited to see what happens with this. Especially since I thought the franchise was dead and Studio Liverpool was shelled out?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
With all the crazy shit that's been happening (PSN down, SOE fiasco) I think Sony will try to go all out for this E3. Bring on all the big guns.

edgefusion

It's about time a new Wipeout game was announced. Consider the hovering, hypersonic, bass-thumping hype-train prepared for departure!

Takao

Banned
Huh, if that rumor about WipEout being 2048 for NGP Launch is true then...!!! I sincerely hope Sony has more planned for launch.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I PROUDLY brag about my Wipeout HD platinum. Bring it on, Sony. Some people like cartoonish carts, some people like playing mechanic, I like speeding down a runway at 300 miles per hour demanding both reaction and anticipation by my heavily stimulated brain as sharp turns and steep hills litter every fiber of the neon-lit track.

params7

Banned
Registering domains doesn't mean it will be announced soon. Case in point : Sony registered Starhawk websites 2 E3's ago.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, I can see the E3 reveal now.

Tretton enters the stage. "We have a very important announcement". Stage fades to dark then

FWOOM

a pack of wipeout jets blast into the screen and the title WIPEOUT TRINITY appears, causing an entire crowd of faces to melt

Can't wait
to be disappointed by them both being PSP games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
spats said:
/bow /bow

fuck you Zico

It's been a long time but from what I remember you must do at least 4 barrel rolls, and especially one when you're going up from the track to the high shortcut road (yes, you can do a barrel roll on that mini-jump)

Also remember your ship has pitch. Going down and then up on hills give you air. There's a bumpy road on the beginning of that track where you can do a barrel roll.

Atolm

I'm a huge fan of the series, bought the PS3 a month ago mostly for Wipeout HD Fury and I'm not regreting it :D

By the way, I'd kill for a new Rollcage too...

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
BenjaminBirdie said:
wipEout
Wipeout XL
Wip3out

THAT MAKES A TRINITY

Yes! Or 'Wipeout 2097' as we say in the Queen's English. The reason for not redoing any of the classics to date was that the assets are basically unusable and the tracks would have to be rebuilt from scratch, but UNNNNGHHHH. I could eat this up.

That said, all generation I've been occasionally looking at this Syd Mead painting
7PjICtcVlhhpicau5WF69csgo1_500.jpg

while listening to Autobahn and imagining the pseudo-cel-shaded, persistent-world Wipeout V that will never be.

YEEEEEEEEEEES! Wipeout is easily my favorite series of all time. Anyone played HD in 3D? It was the first game that made me think that 3D gaming is the future..

WipEout 50 years earlier could be more... dirty and industrial. Not that I do not LOVE the pure and clean aesthetic of WipEout, but a more gritty and darker approach could be nice for a change.

jiggles

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
wipEout
Wipeout XL
Wip3out

THAT MAKES A TRINITY

DO IT
I was thinking along those lines, too.

Maybe Sony are preparing an NGP strategy of remastering PSOne games in the same way PS2 games are being done for PS3?

Unlikely, I know, but a man can dream.

Oppo

badcrumble said:
The biggest way to help it would be a disc release in all territories, honestly, at a $40 price point but with actual promotion and advertising.

I would still buy the DD version though.

Everything about Wipeout should be fast, including launch time.

CURLY SAYS GO

Shiloa

Excellent, but I do hope we get something more... open. I love Wipeout from the original to HD Fury, but I feel that the actual racing is in need of something new.

Vally

YES I can't wait, please be on PS3

Will be interesting if it is indeed a prequel, although if it does take place in 2048, being the less futuristic game of the series I wonder if they'll keep the psychedelic game modes like zone or detonator. I would hate it if those modes were cut out, especially Zone.

D2M15 said:
Yes! Or 'Wipeout 2097' as we say in the Queen's English. The reason for not redoing any of the classics to date was that the assets are basically unusable and the tracks would have to be rebuilt from scratch, but UNNNNGHHHH. I could eat this up.

That said, all generation I've been occasionally looking at this Syd Mead painting
7PjICtcVlhhpicau5WF69csgo1_500.jpg

while listening to Autobahn and imagining the pseudo-cel-shaded, persistent-world Wipeout V that will never be.

I so love where your head is at, my friend.

Oppo

Here's my I'd-like-a-pony wishlist for Wipeout:

• elaborate upgrade system "season" mode with parts for customizing ships/abilities, earning money, tech trees/R&D, stuff like that
• more spectacular crashes ala Motorstorm
• replay editor with YouTube upload and full camera control
• track editor/builder
• livery editor
• ability to form new custom racing teams (clans) online, complete w/logo and unique naming
• ranked leagues with full spectator mode

I don't think an "open world" Wipeout would work. It's always been about track racing with combat.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PortTwo said:
• elaborate upgrade system "season" mode with parts for customizing ships/abilities, earning money, tech trees/R&D, stuff like that
• track editor/builder
• livery editor
• ability to form new custom racing teams (clans) online, complete w/logo and unique naming

All of these ideas sound great, especially the seasons idea. I basically want Wipeout HD, same core and amazing presentation style, but packed with as much content as you can fit in a full priced retail game. HD+Fury were content heavy for a DD game but I want them to go all the way.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
badcrumble said:
So basically Wipeout: Paradise? I can dig that.

Yeah. Anti-gravity racing team life in a fabulous Eurofuture.

But it's far too expensive and risky, so I'll take whatever track-based Wipeout I can get.

Was thinking Trinity might just be all the PSX games bundled up for PlayStation Suite, but surely that's not worth a website.

And I was just saying yesterday. that Sony wasn't treating the franchise with enough respect. Thank you for listening to me Sony, I await the glorious return of Wipeout. All is forgiven.

Empty

omg omg omg omg

psp wipeout is good stuff, but it's the intensity of the big screen, flashy visuals experience that makes wipeout hd such a masterpiece and i thought they'd abandoned the franchise on console after the sales of hd+fury. full retail, psn, hd expansion, i don't care, just give me more ps3 wipeout.

Dibbz

Graphics Horse said:
Sounds more like a series prequel to me if such things exist in the racing genre.

2048 would be just 2 years before the official f3600 championships started, so it might make sense(?). Could even have more of a unofficial street racing vibe, in a hopefully-not-terrible way.
Edit: beaten-ish.
Would be great if we have environments like flying through deserts and jungles rather than officially made tracks. Would make sense given the official championships hadn't started like you said.

slider

I'm sure I'll be in agreement with most of what is posted above. I hope there's no negativity. Be it about NGP, PS3, expansion... new game... gameplay... glorious HD...

All that remains is for me to drool.

*drool*

Raide

Dibbz said:
Would be great if we have environments like flying through deserts and jungles rather than officially made tracks. Would make sense given the official championships hadn't started like you said.

Like Pod Racer? Hrmmm...part of the fun of Wipeout was the awesomely designed tracks that twisted and turned. If they can mix those tracks with real environments, it could work.

PortTwo said:
Here's my I'd-like-a-pony wishlist for Wipeout:

• track editor/builder
• livery editor

I don't think an "open world" Wipeout would work. It's always been about track racing with combat.

sounds great, if they ever make it full featured like that, I hope people are not bitching about full price release.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Oh man, fuck yes.

Hundreds of hours logged into HD / Fury. It's my favorite racer ever, easily. I'm dying for more.

Top Bottom